Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriforceBun's massive E3 impressions! Questions welcome

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

TriforceBun's massive E3 impressions! Questions welcome

E3 2011 was definitely one of the better years for Nintendo fans, I'd say. With the 3DS's promising lineup and Wii U's unveiling, there was a good amount to play and enjoy. And while I would've liked more Wii surprises, Skyward Sword, Rhythm Heaven, and Kirby Wii filled out the roster nicely.

I even got to attend the Nintendo press conference, which was extremely exciting! All pics are taken with my 3DS's lo-res camera. Here's one now:

Impression time!

~Wii~

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Naturally, the Zelda line was a bit on the long side. After waiting a bit, I jumped right into the Dungeon segment of the demo. Link finds himself in a stony temple full of Keese, Deku Babas, and Moblins (Bokoblins?). What gave me a surprising amount of trouble was a hardier Skulltula, which wouldn't let me smack its vulnerable stomach. I used my bow to shoot down its thread, but then it grabbed me and sapped my life until I was almost dead.

It took a little time to get the hang of the controls, admittedly. I think the demo I started wasn't calibrated well, because my sword swings weren't immediately registering correctly. I did do well against the Stalfos mini-boss, who guarded his chest with his swords. Hitting the open area led to him losing several ribs, which was a cool, visceral effect. Beating the chump netted me a Flying Beetle with larger pincers, so I sent it into a switch in an upper tunnel to progress.

Playing the game the next day proved more successful, as I tried the flying mini-game in hopes of getting a reward from none other than...

The flying game worked pretty well--similar to SMG2's Fluzzard, but a bit faster. Link and a couple of adversaries chase a bird with a statue tied to its foot, like some sort of Hyrulean Quidditch. I caught up to the bird once, but Link's jerk opponents started ramming him and throwing eggs in his face. Not to be outdone, Link pressed onward and caught that bird a second time. Zelda was so pleased with this outcome, she leapt off a cliff and into Link's arms. Things got cozy as the demo ended.

I still had some time left, so I jumped into the boss battle with the flamboyant, over-confident Lord Ghirahim. This fight was a lot of fun, with seemingly numerous ways to tackle the boss. And by this point, the sword-swinging felt a lot more natural, so I was able to distract him by slowly moving my sword one way then swiping the other. There's also a bit of a Punch-Out/Bald Bull feel as Ghirahim charges Link and you've gotta thrust your shield forward at the last second to stun him.

All things considered, it's shaping up to be a great game. Although the style of the cutscenes feels slightly archaic in this day and age, the more puzzling, strategic element of combat and orchestrated soundtrack are extremely welcome.

Kirby Wii - Okay, so, Super Star is my favorite Kirby game of all-time and I've been waiting fifteen years for a follow-up in that style.

KIRBY FANS, THIS IS THE SUPER STAR SUCCESSOR.

There are numerous moves per ability, blocking, leg sweeps, co-op, and even food sharing via "kissing"! And the selection of characters is great...although adding in Adeleine as a secret character would make it perfect.

As one of my most-wanted things from a Kirby game is multiple moves per ability, I was sure to test out the SSB-esque controls at every opportunity. Used Waddle Dee (spear), Dedede (hammer, of sorts), and Kirby (sword, beam, cutter, fire).

I was very happy to find that the old abilities pretty much have all their moves. Sword has the rapid-slash beam, the sword jump, the downward thrust, etc. Beam has the charge-up shot, the dash "wave" (although it now resembles Kirby moving the beam in a circular pattern), the close-range beam grab/throw, and one of my favorites, that dash-jump rain of beam shots. Cutter has the downward cut, the Final Cutter, and a new move--holding up while throwing a Cutter will have it arc upwards and back around to Kirby. Fire retains its rushing fireball shot and even the old "press fire towards you to catch on fire" thing!

All in all, it's shaping up to be a great, traditional Kirby experience and the multiplayer is excellent! I don't know why they didn't showcase this during the conference, because it's extremely fun and I've got my money on it being this year's Epic Yarn/DKCR--a high-quality sidescroller that you can play with buddies.

Rhythm Heaven - Nintendo wisely included headphones at this booth so that visitors could rock out while they played. It's a good thing, too, because this was simply hilarious, and a great follow-up to the GBA and DS games. All three of the games were very funny and escalate in surprising ways.

Fortune Street
    - Interesting game. I got a couple buddies of mine together and we played along with the Nintendo rep there. A fairly long-running series in Japan (Itadaki Street), it sort of plays out like a more in-depth Monopoly, where you'll buy locations and upgrade them in hopes of bankrupting your opponents. You play as a variety of Mario and Dragon Quest characters--it's more fun than it sounds, but I can't imagine the single-player game being very good. Mario Party fans should keep their eye on it, and on the upcoming MP9 (which wasn't playable).

~3DS~

Super Mario
    - This feels like a mix between New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario Galaxy. If that sounds yummy to you (and it should!), get your buns on the e-Shop and download the game trailer. The controls were good, but I'm a little iffy on holding a button to run in a 3-D Mario game. It also should be noted that those looking for a LESS linear experience than Galaxy may be disappointed. The stages are small and tight, with lots of platforming and not a great deal of exploration so far.

Of course, it's Mario platforming, which means it's superb. I especially enjoyed the third stage, which (set to the Mario 3 athletic theme) reminded me of Galaxy with its plethora of flip-switches and lots of tricky pitfalls. The fire flower is NOT timed (hooray!), but I was a little disappointed that you can't seem to fly or turn into a statue with the Tanooki. Floating and tail swiping works well though.

Great game overall, although I'm getting more of a NSMB vibe rather than a SMG vibe from it in terms of quality.

Luigi's Mansion 2
    - I ended up playing through the entirety of this demo and battled the Roger lookalike ghost at the end. It took 14 minutes and plays about how you'd expect--you wander through a spooky mansion, sucking up coins and ghosts when you come across them. You now need to press the A button to stun a ghost with light (rather than it happening automatically like in the GCN original). If you hold A, Luigi will "charge" a big blast of light which makes it easier to snag multiple ghosts at once.

Luigi's animations are fun to watch; he doesn't seem to have gotten over his fear of spooks from last time, that's for sure. If you liked the original, this definitely feels like a strong follow-up, although I'm not sure how much it seems to add to the original formula at this point. I sure gave Roger his just desserts though. He won't be eating chocodiles for awhile.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
    - I'm actually really looking forward to this game despite my left hand struggling with the aiming. Pit and Palutena have a great bit of banter going on as you play, and I find them rather funny and charming. It works best while you play, since you're mainly focused on the action, while their dialogue only adds to the experience.

I played the first two stages and had a rough time in the second one on land. The game feels pretty challenging and the air battles in particular are rather exhilarating. The art and music are great and the story's got potential. I hope the controls are somehow cleaned up a bit before launch.

MarioKart - Feels smooth. There were three levels on the demo, and I played through it twice--once with Koopa, and once with Bowser. 1st place on everything, baby! The stages were that one with the big jump in the trailers, one that was by the docks and went underwater, and the DKC Returns level (which was nifty and played the DKC theme). The stage design and physics are well-incorporated, and they brought back the coin element from Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit (although it seems like you don't lose them from getting hit). The only disappointment? No 12-player races!

StarFox 64 and Ocarina of Time 3D - Both were better than expected and felt really good with the gyroscope.

Resident Evil: Revelations
    - Wow! Imagine mixing the GCN Remake with Resident Evil 4. If that sounds as delicious to you as it does to me, you're not going to want to miss this. It has the over-the-shoulder viewpoint of RE4 with the somewhat scarcer, tougher enemies of the older games. It looks excellent and has a tense atmosphere. I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

~Wii U~

And what gives with the new system? It works really well from the demos we played, although there wasn't any finalized software to get super-excited about.

In New Super Mario Bros Mii, you pretty much play through 5 unique levels with one player using the unit as a screen instead of on the TV. Felt really cool, like playing a handheld with others.

In Find Mii, four players try to find the fifth one, who has his own screen, sort of like Pac-Man Vs. I won while hiding and seeking. Woo!

I forget the name of the drawing game, but you take turns with an opponent in trying to make as close a line length as the game suggests. Here's me beating Chris:

Battle Mii has two players using 3rd-person shooter controls to blast the third player (in Samus's ship) out of the sky. The third player gets a unique viewpoint on the Wii U--sort of like a split-screen except the others can't see him. You use the gyroscope to aim (like all the gyroscopic aiming at E3, it works much better than expected). I won pretty much every time I played. Man I rule.

And then there was the pirate game, where you see through the eyes of a poor sap getting shot at by arrow-wielding pirates. It was fun, but this post is getting long so time to wrap it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GAME OF THE SHOW: Kirby Wii! It's shaping up to be a terrific follow-up to the best Kirby game!

All in all, a great trip! Feel free to ask any questions about particular games. I wandered around the area for awhile and tried out a few other games (Rune Factory: Tales of Destiny, Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns, Sonic Generations) but a lot of the shooters and stuff didn't interest me as much. So feel free to ask any particular questions about any of these games!

Here's me with Takashi Tezuka!

Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Re: TriforceBun's massive E3 impressions! Questions welcome

How did I know you were going to love Kirby Wii...

And who's to say Adeleine can't return to her role as a boss in KDL3? That would at least include her in the game.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

Bordering 'Crazy' from 'Obsessive' since 1997 Flippy's Avatar

I'm just wondering,
    Were there any SSB demos, or was it just the announcement?
    Cause I fell out my computer chair when I heard the announcement.

Here's my DeviantArt AAAND Here's my Art Thread! I take requests!
    Spoiler: Other sigs! 

Hironori Miyata (Voice of Twilight Princess Ganondorf and ... Tingle.) was born on June 22. MY BIRTHDAY. *Dances*

Danf, it must have been a blast there! I really can't wait for the games to be released to us soon!

And I was wondering, being it a convention for all gamers, did you find any other video game Webcomic artists there? Or have anyone recognize you?

so important question. is the mirror and yoyo kirby in the wii version?

Adeleine as a boss would be fun, although it'd probably need to be another possession thing.

No SSB demo, or screens/media at all, unfortunately. It's great that we know the game's coming, but that's pretty much all we know now.

Awesome McAwesome Spriter vaporchu's Avatar

Alright, I got a couple o' questions:

1. In Kirby Wii, is player 1 restricted to Kirby? It seems to me that Player 1 is stuck as Kirby the whole time, but the other players have a choice of characters. I really wish I could switch to Dedede or Waddle Dee at anytime.

2. How simple is it to pick up and play the Zelda games? I've...never actually played OoT before (*gasp!*) and you mention some difficulties with Skyward Sword's play style. I'm hoping to pick up both games eventually.

3. Since you played the new...New Super Mario Bros. game, would you want another entry in the NSMB series to be released? Or would you rather have another 3D title? :P

4. Did you see the Zelda tech demo in person? If so, how great does it look up front?

....And I think that's it! Don't want to ask too many questions now. x)

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
    I'm just wondering,
    Were there any SSB demos, or was it just the announcement?
    Cause I fell out my computer chair when I heard the announcement.
    SSB4 isn't even in development yet. Sakurai said he won't start it until after Kid Icarus: Uprising is complete.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Based off the demos you played, do you think the Wii U will be a more casual system, rather than a more core console like Nintendo says it will be?

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Wow, sounds like you had a lot of fun there at E3. 'Course, I wished I could've been there too.

Oh, so that is Zelda after all... really, really blonde this time, huh.

Also I'm glad to hear about the new Kirby game being more like Super Star, and I'm glad to hear the abilities are back to their former glory, more or less. Although some things still concern me, if you could say anything... at any point, did you try blocking, and exactly how powerful was the block (ie ridiculous near-invincibility like in KSS, or worse?). Also throw moves like Beam's, was that a one hit kill, and did it do huge damage if you hit a boss with a thrown thing? And are enemies fairly resilient this time, or something? Did Fire or Cutter fall behind in damage compared to the other abilities?

Mostly I'm asking questions since I'm concerned about the game's balance again. KSS was as "balanced" and difficult as a Kirby game got but I'm hoping for some improvements here, although the questions here you kinda have to be paying attention to so it's okay if you don't know, mhmm.

Oh, and uh... could you please tell me about Rune Factory?

Please? :3

also uh they didn't have much at all for the Wii U at E3, I don't think it'd be fair to say whether it's "casual" or "hardcore" :V

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Adeleine as a boss would be fun, although it'd probably need to be another possession thing.
    That would be fine. From the footage I've seen it looks like HAL is combining the platforming gameplay of Kirby Super Star with the collect-a-thon of Kirby 64 with those stars and stones. If that's true, we may see Dark Matter again...
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

JSG - As I was scouting for celebrities, someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was the guy who did BitF. I turned around to see the two fans in today's comic! They were really friendly and fun to talk to, but no one else recognized me off the bat, which is about what I expected. Didn't see any other comic artists there, but I did run into Matt Bozon (of WayForward) and Chris Hoffman (of Nintendo Power) and chatted with them for awhile.

chihou - Those abilities are a couple of my favorites, especially Yo-Yo! It didn't show up in the demo but I wouldn't rule it out. From memory, the abilities in the demo included...

-Sword
    -Cutter
    -Fire
    -Water (NEW)
    -Leaf (NEW)
    -Beam
    -Bomb

I think that was it from what I could tell, besides the Super abilities (Sword and Fire).

vaporchu -

1. Player 1 is Kirby, at least for the demo. Kirby is the only one who can suck up stuff, so he's sort of the leader, and when he dies, everyone restarts from the last checkpoint (while when anyone else dies, they can respawn without a problem). However, 2-4p can all pick between Waddle Dee, Dedede and Meta Knight, and can pick again after dieing. The only thing is that they can't be a character who's already in action (so you can't have two Meta Knights, etc).

2. I'm used to a certain "feel" for Zelda so I think that may have interfered a bit with jumping into SS. But honestly, the Zelda games are all pretty easy to get a good feel for. I think you'll be fine if you play OoT first and then SS later this year, and I'd certainly recommend the series to any gamer.

3. I don't think sidescrolling Mario is really going to go anywhere, but it's hard to say which I prefer after playing Super Mario 3DS. It feels the most like a 2D/3D blend out of any Mario so far, so I'm not sure if they're going to keep the series separate or merge them together. I'd still like to have a sidescrolling Mario on occasion, mixed in with Mario in 3-D space (although not necessarily IN SPACE).

4. Yep, I "played" the demo--mainly moved the camera around. It looks great in-person, and surprisingly, even better on the small screen. It's all in real-time and looks roughly on-par with 360/PS3 visuals.

SSBBrawler - It's a little hard to say at this point. I think the newer features like using it as a unique screen in multi will probably be mostly for more casual play, while 3rd-party devs will ideally be attracted to the HD visuals and (apparently) far fewer limitations than the Wii. I can see them going either way at this point with it.

Hey guys its me Meteor! xXMeteorXx's Avatar

One question I had...you said this is the sequel to Kirby SuperStar. Was that actually confirmed, or is that because the way there's a Health bar, Co-Op, Ability movesets, and "kissing?" Because it seems to look like Dark matter returns here, in which case it would be like a sequel to Crystal Shards...but with SuperStar gameplay. Thanks in advance for the clarification! ^-^

Dynawing - I didn't try blocking too much, but the animation was pretty much identical. The enemies were about as resilient as KSS's, taking a few hits before being defeated, although the bosses definitely seemed to have more life this time (that may have been because of the 4 players, but I can't tell you if the damage is scaled based on that or what). The beam throw is an instant kill for smaller enemies, but I wasn't able to hit a boss with it to compare damage. Cutter felt slightly more powerful and was a little more versatile with the arcing throw, while I didn't really use Fire on anything but Whispy at the end of the stage.

I'm a huge fan of Rune Factory Frontier (put over 100 hours into it) so I was eager to try out Tides of Destiny. The version they had available was for the PS3, and it looked nice. The farming gameplay seems kind of weird in that you plant things with a rod and mostly let your monsters grow stuff (?) as was my understanding. The battling is much improved, though, with a Zelda-ish over-the-shoulder view and some spiffy new moves with the weapons (such as juggling an enemy in mid-air by jumping and striking them over and over). I nabbed some cheap cloths and hard horns and there are even more levels to gain: in addition to lab, forge, etc, there's magic-specific stuff like earth resistance, fire resistance, etc. There were a ton, at least twice as much as RFF's. You're on a big golem thing in the ocean that takes you to various islands (but this takes up time in the day). It's hard to describe and I only played it for a few minutes, but basically...

-I'm skeptical of the farming
    -I'm optimistic of the fighting.

Meteorz - It hasn't been officially confirmed as a sequel to Super Star, but to me, it feels like it has more elements of Super Star than any Kirby game since that title. It also has borrowed some things from other Kirby games, of course--there are stars to nab like in Dream Land 2, and secret goodies in each level like Crystal Shards--but the core battling gameplay feels plucked straight out of the SNES classic. Storywise, it's probably a follow-up to one of the later games.

about mario kart 3DS:
    just two major questions:
    1: could you customize your kart in the demo?
    1.5: if yes, how many parts were customizable?
    2: how many characters are racing at a time if it's not 12? 8?
    I'm back, baby.

NICE GANK, DARKNER VIP Tigerman's Avatar

So did you get a chance to try out the PSVita? That is one of the big things I am looking forward to getting in the future. I'll eventually probably get a 3DS, but nothing with 3DS really interests me in getting one at this time.

Glad to hear about all these other games though, and that WiiU does look pretty cool.
    ~Nothing to see here~

Member and Part Time Sun God Helios's Avatar
    Colorado or Minnesota. Depends on the time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Ario View Post
    about mario kart 3DS:
    just two major questions:
    1: could you customize your kart in the demo?
    1.5: if yes, how many parts were customizable?
    2: how many characters are racing at a time if it's not 12? 8?
    On the demo I saw on my 3DS, it looked like the main cart, the wheels, and something else were all customizable. But TB could probably answer better, I just thought I'd add in my 2 cents worth.

And TB, it sounds like you had an absolute blast. Great stuff!!!

Kirby wii sounds amazing. Leaf and Water power are what I have been thirsting for for ages!!! Now I just hope they bring back combo abilities! But Super Star gameplay only would be sick nasty rad as well.

I'm really glad I got to hear about your play experiences! Gives a new aspect to the trailers!

The greatest writer of nonsense Duth Olec's Avatar

wouldn't adding prank gooey as a secret character also make it perfect!!
    !!

Man I think I remember seeing a screenshot or video of Needle in Kirby Wii, that wasn't in KSS was it? Does this mean Needle will get extra moves now? I dunno for some reason I like Needle ability disproportionately to how much I probably should.

"This feels like a mix between New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario Galaxy." I KNEW IT. I KNEW IT I KNEW IT GRAR GRAR GRAR

Normally at this point I would go on and on but I am trying to stop myself from doing that now. So, if you didn't get the memo, I don't like Mario sidescrollers. The Galaxy games were basically Mario sidescrollers in 3D. Super Mario Bros. 3DS appears to be that to the extreme.
    Bowser's Inside Story was a third sidescrollers.
    The last Paper Mario game was a sidescroller.
    Paper Mario RPG 3DS appears to have sidescrolling segments.

Nintendo, are you just trying to get me to stop caring about the Mario series, and if so, good job at least on caring about Kirby now to balance it out.

a game like SM64/Sunshine for Brawl 2016 please

Anyway enough of my blah, should I be worried that every single game demo for the Woo is a multiplayer thingy? Or should I be super unworried that it may mean it has super online wifi capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by 1337star View Post
    SSB4 isn't even in development yet. Sakurai said he won't start it until after Kid Icarus: Uprising is complete.
    Sakurai said he'd start it? I figured it'd be another "surprise, Sakurai!!" like with Brawl. Well, if it's not, maybe he'll actually learn something about some of the other game series!!
    !

Anyway my only questions are were there any playable demos of Kirby Mass Attack and umm that's about it. Oh, how was holding the WiiU controller? It looks big and every time I think of it in my hands I feel like it'd feel big and bluh bluh.

So, I heard Woopers are better than Mudkips.

METAPOD SHARK! EVERYONE OUT OF THE FOREST!

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    MarioKart - Feels smooth. There were three levels on the demo, and I played through it twice--once with Koopa, and once with Bowser. 1st place on everything, baby! The stages were that one with the big jump in the trailers, one that was by the docks and went underwater, and the DKC Returns level (which was nifty and played the DKC theme). The stage design and physics are well-incorporated, and they brought back the coin element from Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit (although it seems like you don't lose them from getting hit). The only disappointment? No 12-player races!
    Hearing that there's no 12 player races actually makes me happy. Mario Kart Wii's 12 players led to too much item usage for my liking. I'd get hit by some guy going past as a Bullet Bill, then start on my way again when I get hit with a red shell (that I can't defend against because Bullet Bill guy stole my item). Then as I'm starting to recover from that, here comes a lightning cloud to stop me yet again and make me tiny. And right about the time that the lightning wears off and I get back to normal, I get smooshed by someone with a Mega Mushroom. -_-

So for me, no 12 player races is good news, as it means I might get a breather in between items like in Mario Kart DS. Thanks for sharing the news though, I hadn't heard that anywhere else.

Who's that Pokemon? imperfectluck's Avatar

Wait you didn't see the OTHER kirby they had at the show? Its called Kirby: mass attck and its for the Ds. Check out a preview of it here!
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/11749...mpid=rss-games
    Sounds like its going to the last great Ds game and another great kirby game.

Awesome!
    "The question isn't can it be done, but are you willing to do it." - Me

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
    Wait you didn't see the OTHER kirby they had at the show?
    I think the end of the comic (a big ol' pile o' Kirbies!) represents that game.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I got up at 2am to watch it, and don't regret it at all.

Anyway, I'm interested in how well OoT translated to a handheld. Did the controls feel okay? And how were the 3D effects?

What did you think of the Wii U's name? I think it's a bad idea, naming it after a system who's "gimmick" (motion controls) is on the decline, but the name either I think of "Wii University" or the fact it rhymes with "P.U.".

Who's that Pokemon? imperfectluck's Avatar

@pseudo3d Its not a bad idea to call it Wii something, simply becuase it keeps the wii remootes as its controllers. The u part is a bad idea IMO,(altho it dose make for a cool looking logo),so I think it will either grow on us like the word wii did or everybody will ignore it and call it wii2/wii hd.

@Dinosaurshotgun: I thought so too but I wasn't sure because he dosen't say anything about it in the thread.
    Corbie: Luck is just talent spelled backward. Actually it's not, but it sounded good when I thought of it

Thread Information