Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Paper Mario (series)

Re: Paper Mario (series)

Oh yeah, Croco! He's a total pimp!

Also, as far as Paper Mario bosses/villains go, I like Jr. Troopa, the Goomba King, Tubba Blubba, Lord Crump, the Shadow Sirens, Doopliss, O'Chunks, and of course, Dimentio.

Dimentio was a pretty funny boss if only for his quotes, but like Dino, I never found him to be all that interesting. That being said, the rest of Bleck's team, including Bleck himself, were all pretty fun characters in their own ways. O'Chunks is, quite simply, the biggest oddball out of all of them, and while his boss fights weren't really challenging, he was a pretty hilarious character with all of his silly lines.

I love the original turn-based format of the original Paper Mario games, but I wouldn't mind seeing another Super Paper Mario in the future. It was different, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I liked Dimentio because he's a major puppet-master, using everyone to his own advantage, and never letting on his true intentions. Not to mention, I like his seemingly aloof, carefree attitude, like nothing really angers him, as if everything that happens is just all according to plan... And even if something odd happens, he just adjusts his plans so as to still reach his ultimate goal. Just a very unique individual, IMO.

FEEL MY COIN-FILLED WRATH!!! 9kirby99's Avatar

I've played all three games made so far. I only beat the origional so far.

And vote for us, too! GO METACRATS!

I don't consider Super Paper Mario to be part of the Paper Mario series. It's an awesome game, but more of a spin-off. SPM seems to take place in a completely different universe/reality; the world is 2d, and you need a special power to get into the third dimension. The rest of the paper mario series is mostly 3d worlds. SPM is just too different to be part of the series.

One of my favorite things about SPM is how funny the game is. It has to be high on the list of funny nintendo games.

I find it ironic that you would view it as a spin-off, considering the stakes were completely maximized in this game (EVERYTHING will be destroyed, but Mario's universe, and all the other ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Shaby15 View Post
    I don't consider Super Paper Mario to be part of the Paper Mario series. It's an awesome game, but more of a spin-off. SPM seems to take place in a completely different universe/reality; the world is 2d, and you need a special power to get into the third dimension. The rest of the paper mario series is mostly 3d worlds. SPM is just too different to be part of the series.

One of my favorite things about SPM is how funny the game is. It has to be high on the list of funny nintendo games.
    Eh, Mario's never been big on cross-story canon. Remember killing Bowser at the end of SMB1?

And yes, SPM was a hilarious game. Quite epic as well, especially what with
    all the characters "dying" in Castle Bleck. I didn't expect them to be really dead, but I did sort of expect that I would have to fight the Final Boss without them.

Paper Mario 1 is my favorite game ever.
    If anyone has any questions about it, ask me. (Please.)
    I 100%'d the whole game. (Story, Star pieces, Badges, Chuck Quizmo answers, I know every secret and trick there is!)

Also, who's excited for Paper Mario 3D? I've seen many pictures of the game, which have made me think that:
    1. There's a Chain Chomp partner. The other "confirmed" partners are a green toad and a silver crown that looks like a pixl.
    2. One of the bosses is a mole king.
    3. You use stickers, or decals, to fight enemies and interact with the environment. These replace badges that were in the previous games. From what I can tell, this is one of the more important features of the game.

Here's some screenshots:
    Spoiler: Paper Mario Screenshots 
    Last edited by Seal; May 17th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Mind View Post
    Eh, Mario's never been big on cross-story canon. Remember killing Bowser at the end of SMB1?
    I'm sure Bowser has found out a way of escaping death by lava by now. lol

Come to think of it, it's kind of unsure that Bowser died in the original Super Mario Brothers, comparing to New Super Mario Brothers. Now that's messed up. They even revive his pieces and everything, proving that him becoming that boney guy wasn't just a funny death animation.

Anyway, Paper Mario.

One of the first RPGs I got interested in playing. The one I grew most fond to was the first one, for it's simplicity and writing got me into strategy games. Back in the day, I would feel a bit intimidated by RPGs, when I would watch my friends play through them. It's logical to say I couldn't understand a thing he was doing (Then again, when you glance at another person's file of a game you never played, you always get confused).

Then one day a cousin of mine lent me his Paper Mario cartridge. Best Holiday Ever.
    Signature picture made by JSG.

I''d like to thank all who supported me here throughout the last 2 years. Without you all, nothing of this would be possible.

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y H I B I K I <3 765Bro's Avatar

I am disapointed the partners don't look to have much personality so far.

In ever other game, something has made the partner striking and memorable. Who could forget Goombella's cute litte hat? <3
    Chain Chomp looks like every other Chain Chomp.
    HAPPY HIBIKI'S BIRTHDAY DAY 2014
    LOVE YA'LL

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I am disapointed the partners don't look to have much personality so far.

In ever other game, something has made the partner striking and memorable. Who could forget Goombella's cute litte hat? <3
    Chain Chomp looks like every other Chain Chomp.
    I get the feeling partners will operate differently this time around.

Unless it's confirmed that they don't?

"I'm not in the mood." itsameluigi1290's Avatar

They do seem a little bland, besides Mr. Crownser... That's my fan name for him. I wonder what happened to the rest of the Pixls in SPM. I'm not entirely sure, but weren't they created to serve the hero or something?

(Haven't played the game in ages)

Wheelie Rider

There is a Paper Mario 3D? Ok, now I definitely, fo sho, have to get my hands on a 3DS. I am missing out on some amazing games here. [/show me the $$$]

As I had mentioned before [I believe I did, in this thread], I love how all the Paper Mario games offer "puzzles" you have to figure out in order for the next thing to happen. This makes the games so much more enjoyable, and the level of difficulty is just right--except for Lord Crump [TTYD] when you fight him on the Moon. I have yet to beat that boss. I used to always have a heck of a time fighting the Smorgs [TTYD], also.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    except for Lord Crump [TTYD] when you fight him on the Moon. I have yet to beat that boss.
    If you need help, I can give you a few tips, NQ.

When Crump uses the audience members as ammo, take note that he only hits the character in front. I would suggest putting a partner in front (probably Flurrie since she can regain some HP with Lip Lock) because if your partner runs out of HP, you can still fight, if Mario runs out of HP, it's Game Over.
    Some items like Thunder Rage are very helpful when Crump detaches Magnus Von Grapple 2.0's fists. Power Lift can help you dish out damage and protect you from damage and Sweet Feast is very handy for recovering HP and FP. As for badges, I recommend, Piercing Blow to ignore the robot's defense, Hammer Man to raise your attack power, Pretty Lucky/(P) Damage Dodge, and Defend Plus to decrease your damage. That should be a max of 21 Badge Points. The only one I strongly recommend is Piercing Blow, the other are mere suggestions.
    Last edited by Silver Monferno; May 18th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Wheelie Rider

Hey, thank you, King Wario! I truly appreciate that; I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I play!

You're welcome. Oh, and before you beat Crump, be sure to get the Feeling Fine badges from the crane game. They'll be very helpful against the final boss. I believe it's on sub level 1, left side.

Member and Part Time Sun God Helios's Avatar
    Colorado or Minnesota. Depends on the time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaurshotgun View Post
    I get the feeling partners will operate differently this time around.

Unless it's confirmed that they don't?
    I'm kinda worried for that as well. I'm actually concerned that we might not have partners at all. I'm hoping for Chain Chomp, because that would rock. But, I haven't actually seen any partners in any of the battling cutscenes, which bothers me. I absolutely love the partners for the same reason everyone else does, their endearing personality.

I liked TYD partners the most, though the original had fantastic partners as well. I liked the pixls, but I liked having traditional enemies be partnered with you. That was the best part!

TYD is definitely my favorite paper mario game. First was amazing, TYD took everything great about it and kept it or improved it. The battle system is fantastic and entertaining, and the storyline. From characters to partners to villians, it was just well done. One of my favorite games of all time. And the cooking. Always the cooking!!!

I'm hoping the 3DS version will be closer to TYD than was Super Paper Mario. Loved it, but I prefered TYD's battle system, partners, story, and cooking. So, I'm personally hoping we'll return to those (though I doubt we'll ever top Zess T) styles more, though either way I'm sure it will be fantastic.

3DS Friend Code for convenience. Let me know if ya want to play something via PM!
    4167-4572-3873

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I haven't actually seen any partners in any of the battling cutscenes.
    There are pictures of the chomp and the crown partners in battle, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seal357 View Post
    I don't think I saw any of those, there are plenty of new ones I haven't seen because I've had a busy semester.

The problem is that we have only seen pictures. Are you sure it's not an item?

(Keep in mind I both hope for partners and haven't kept up to date with any info much more recent than E3 videos. I definitely wouldn't mind being wrong here :P )

3DS Friend Code for convenience. Let me know if ya want to play something via PM!
    4167-4572-3873

Quote Originally Posted by Seal357 View Post
    Those were pretty old, though, the newer ones don't seem to have any partners.

E3 showed a beautiful game... very excied.

But it's looking like no partners might be a thing.

4167-4572-3873

If there are no partners, then I don't think that I will get it.

That was my favorite part of the series.

I'm playing through Paper Mario again and I thought I would share my stats with you all.

Mario, Level 19
    HP 55, FP 35, BP 21

Ultra Boots, Ultra Hammer

6 Star Power

Active Badges: Happy Heart, HP plus, HP plus, FP plus, Power plus, Damage Dodge

Party: Goombario (super), Kooper (ultra), Bombette (ultra), Parakarry (ultra), Bow (ultra), Watt (ultra), Sushie (ultra), Lakilester (super)

So...yeah.
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate | Name: Yami G | HR: 44+

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    HEY GUYS, I'M ON VGBOXART!!!

Star Warrior

I've found the series so-so and have no plan to get a 3DS, but I have to admit that the new game looks good. It's crisp in appearance, it takes suitable advantage of the premises, and it's just different enough.
    Last edited by Deckard Canine; June 15th, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiGekusu View Post
    I'm playing through Paper Mario again and I thought I would share my stats with you all.

Mario, Level 19
    HP 55, FP 35, BP 21

Ultra Boots, Ultra Hammer

6 Star Power

Active Badges: Happy Heart, HP plus, HP plus, FP plus, Power plus, Damage Dodge

Party: Goombario (super), Kooper (ultra), Bombette (ultra), Parakarry (ultra), Bow (ultra), Watt (ultra), Sushie (ultra), Lakilester (super)

So...yeah.
    I have a question, where are you [location/plot wise] in the game?

I'd like to know how far you've come along in this rerun of the game. I might like to play this game again too. Although, I did prefer TTYD over this one, so I may play that game first, then this one.
    Last edited by Valor; June 15th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
    A Moment of Change

Thread Information