Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Fool's Day: Your thoughts?

uh I can't think of a user title ThatFellow's Avatar

Re: April Fool's Day: Your thoughts?

I just thought it was incredibly "meh". It came across as something that was pulled together in a day (or even one evening), all that really happened was essentially a single name change and a few board names being mixed up. I dunno, it just seemed rushed and not all that funny.

Although I will say that it wasn't annoying or irritating and it was pretty easy to ignore it since it was only a day long, so it didn't deserve to have "rebels". After all, there wasn't that much to rebel against.

Oh and don't take this as some sort of whine, just expressing that I thought it was lackluster, and I understand why it was seeing as the mods have lives to lead and they had just came off the pony festival.

It's just that everyone talks about April 1 2009 like it was the best event in the history of the forum and anyone who joined after that date hasn't really experienced anything like it yet.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Honestly in hindsight maybe we should have moved the Pony Event and had that start on AFD.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFellowWithTheHat View Post
    I just thought it was incredibly "meh". It came across as something that was pulled together in a day (or even one evening), all that really happened was essentially a single name change and a few board names being mixed up. I dunno, it just seemed rushed and not all that funny.

Although I will say that it wasn't annoying or irritating and it was pretty easy to ignore it since it was only a day long, so it didn't deserve to have "rebels". After all, there wasn't that much to rebel against.

Oh and don't take this as some sort of whine, just expressing that I thought it was lackluster, and I understand why it was seeing as the mods have lives to lead and they had just came off the pony festival.

It's just that everyone talks about April 1 2009 like it was the best event in the history of the forum and anyone who joined after that date hasn't really experienced anything like it yet.
    2009 worked very well for a few reasons. The main reason was because we had never had an event of that scale before.

It was also nice that the forum and comic events were so connected.

Basically Waluigi took over the forum. This meant that everyone had a purple Waluigi theme and everyone who showed up had their name changed to something funny.

Waluigi also made a few posts on the forum.

But yeah, it's really hard to do something that great again because I think the shock was a big part of it.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

I think the event was hilarious, and a great play along with. It was great to mess around and be fooled with all the Darky's and it was so ripe for many tricky oppurtuinites. Even though you modderators aren't fond of it, or something, I think it was a great and amusing idea. I hope that this may happen again wiht another great idea, I expect something hilarious and foolish like this next year! I was also surprised with the lack of the "Default Style" AFD theme, though, or even better, a DARKY theme.

I thought it would be another Waluigi event, too...

TUMBLR :: BACKLOGGERY :: STEAM
    visit my acnl town! 5700-3154-2713

It's a Mii, Plaid! Plaid Tuxedo's Avatar

I, personally, greatly enjoyed the event. Of course, I played it to my advantage; I had fun with it. The possibilities were hilarious if you kept your mind open; I impersonated three different people yesterday, and gave someone the code to impersonate another person. To be honest, I'm sure that it wasn't the best joke that could've been pulled, but it was still pretty entertaining.

April 1, 2012: All posts get replaced with "Waaaa"

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudodom View Post
    Meh, it's not really that much compared to last year's April Fool's Day, which was really, really awesome.

Haha! I pity the newcomers that missed it!
    Well, I joined early this year. What's so great about the last year that I missed?
    Somebody, somewhere probably got pantsed today.

Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles. Forum Veteran AuraKnight's Avatar

Want proof that people liked this? Look at the Most Users.

What did it say before this event? I think it was Winterday, actually, but before that it was AFD 2010 for ages. I'm presuming that it was the same for AFD 2009. I was just a guest then and I personally thought is was awesome. It was one of the main factors that got me into foruming and the social internet, even.

And that's why I think people have been complaining.

Was it anitclimatical? Moreso than Monty Python. Did it live up to the grand expectations that have surrounded AFD on BitF? I'm not sure, but if you want hard statistical data, then there you go. Yes, we've gained new members, but to have everyone on at one time is showing that something big's going down, and people are loving it.

Personally, I didn't mind it. It seemed a lot like Pony Day actually, there wasn't much to do and everyone just sat around and made confusing posts. There's probably other factors, but it just seemed kinda average, event-wise.

EDIT: AFD HISTORY:

2009: Numerous silly namechanging around the board, plus WitF. Waluigi stalked the forum for a bit, and everything generally went crazy. That's where the WitF skin comes from.

2010: Because the comic shut down, a new one called 'Tadpole Tales' came into fruition which consisted of not much bar general sillyness and comics getting posted whenever. I think CitF also happened then, though I can't remember it that well.
    Last edited by AuraKnight; April 2nd, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Home with the milk in the morning / Singing the same old song
    ---
    ---
    ---
    It really does not matter what you are called, or where your work is placed, as long as it brings some kind of joy to some person some place.
    - Charles M. Schultz -

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

The thing about 2009's april fools, if memory serves, is that we played with the filters to change everyone's name around which caused for confusion and similar antics to "everyone being Darky".

Unless I'm forgetting a few other details or remembering another year?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

I wouldn't say this was the most creative or well-thought out event, and it certainly caused a lot of confusion, but it was still funny, and that's the important thing, right?

But yeah, it would be nice to have something a bit better planned and such for next year.

also is it bad that i don't remember what happened for april fool's day last year o:

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

I understand everything now Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

Wasn't last year the one with the new theme with the upside down unicorn and the colorful names? Which, as previously stated, came with Tadpole in the Family right?
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Well, since I didn't know who Darky was due to me being a newcomer and whatnot, it didn't really bother me. to that part of the joke, I was indifferent.

But in regards to the sub-forum mix-up? Boy, I loved it 8D

Sure, it was a little tough for me to orientate myself, but that's my fault, so it was good.

I'm looking forward for the next AFD, if there's another one made of course :B

The only thing worse than a sorrowful end is knowing that it is certain to come. Forum Veteran Meteora's Avatar
    I've decided against making a witty comment in favor of actually giving my location: I live in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMarioGuy View Post
    Wasn't last year the one with the new theme with the upside down unicorn and the colorful names? Which, as previously stated, came with Tadpole in the Family right?
    Tadpole Tales, but yes, that's what it was.

We long to remember that which we wish we could forget.

unicorn was by yours truly, LOL

though it was honestly a rush job, tadpole tales in itself was a combination of myself, snf and tiger if memory serves correctly

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

The only thing worse than a sorrowful end is knowing that it is certain to come. Forum Veteran Meteora's Avatar
    I've decided against making a witty comment in favor of actually giving my location: I live in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    unicorn was by yours truly, LOL

though it was honestly a rush job, tadpole tales in itself was a combination of myself, snf and tiger if memory serves correctly
    It may have been rushed, but I definitely had a lot of fun with it.

We long to remember that which we wish we could forget.

Every single AFD has been spur of the moment actually.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

It is fun being Eruedraith's doppelganger for the day....or longer...This was great, and I can't wait until next year!
    A Moment of Change

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo23459 View Post
    Well, since I didn't know who Darky was due to me being a newcomer and whatnot, it didn't really bother me. to that part of the joke, I was indifferent.B
    Same, and I tried to play along with it...and failed.

To be honest, I really wasn't affected by the sub-forum changes, because of the names of the recent topics posted in showed up next to the sub-forum name, but I liked the idea.

Also, it didn't help that I could just put my mouse pointer on a Darky and the user's name would appear at the bottom of my browser.

Overall, I thought the concept was cool, it just needed more people to participate in it, which is tough to do when only a few people know what to do.

Quick Question: Why didn't you forum moderators do an April Fool's theme related to the BitF comic?
    "I swear, my cereal told me to watch the sky!"
    "Are you sure it didn't say: 'You need help!'?!"

TBH, what I think made the event worthwhile were the members who just rolled with it and messed around. If you thought it was fun, you made it fun and you had fun. If you didn't...well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Enob Mort View Post
    Overall, I thought the concept was cool, it just needed more people to participate in it, which is tough to do when only a few people know what to do.
    There wasn't really anything to do, though; everyone was just pretty much being silly. ...Of course, one of the mods mentioned beforehand that they didn't really know what to do for AFD, it kind of snuck up on them and they were just going to do a last minute thing, so knowing that probably helped.

It's just probably kind of disorienting if you're new. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Enob Mort View Post
    Quick Question: Why didn't you forum moderators do an April Fool's theme related to the BitF comic?
    In the past it's been a little tough to communicate with TB in order to do such a thing.

Not to mention as mentioned the past AFD events have been completely spur of the moment. Tadpole Tales were actually inspired by an old picture TB had in one of the blurbs - which was a tadpole - marked with something like it being some "secret project" or something of the sort.

Admittedly, TB had contacted us for what he was planning for the comic, but as we said, it was purely last minute(including the contacting), so we didn't have much time to really prepare for anything.

So, spur of the moment

Well, we could have linked it with the comic, since we did have advance knowledge of what TB was going to do.

But the staff didn't like the idea of doing CDi memes, so we didn't incorporate that into the forum.

Thread Information