Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The General Book Thread

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Re: The General Book Thread

Bump.

So I've started to read nonfiction recently. Rather grudgingly, but I have to for my AP Language class. Regardless, the first two books that I've read so far are both about serial killers. I like reading about serial killers. In some creepy way they fascinate me.

Anyways, the first I read was The Devil in the White City, by Eric Larson. I liked it, though it was not nearly enough about the serial killer, H.H. Holmes as it ought to have been, considering how it's titled The Devil in the White City you'd think it be about the Devil in the White City. Regardless, it was full of interesting tidbits of stuff that we take for granted now but was the bomb-diggity back then.

The second book was In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote. I did not like it that much, because I found it rather boring. I was expecting bloodshed and criminals on the run who do crazy hijinks. What I got instead was 343 pages of boring. I'm amazed I managed to finish it. I also have to write four papers about for Tuesday, but that's not for this thread.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by cyanide_
    You should read Brave New World and We to complete the dystopian set.
    I read Brave New World last year in Honors English. While I was reading it, I had no clue what was going on and it went over my head. As soon as I finished and looked upon it in hindsight, it made quite a bit of sense. Granted, I had to use some help from Wikipedia to understand fully what soma did...

Either way, I should reread it. I enjoyed it.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

So I recently read The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card.

I rather liked it, personally - the magic system was rather unique and interesting, as well as the setting, and the plot was fantastic. I still think that
    Hermia should have been introduced as a major character earlier on, rather than her coming in at the end like 'oh I'm a good guy and stuff, remember me?'
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

"Every man for himself" - Jesus Hobo's Avatar

I'll have to find this so-called "We" then. Until I find a copy, though, I'm reading Good Omens because I had heard about it (ALL. ABOUT IT.) on TV Tropes and figured, okay, I'll get to it. So far so good.

Waiting for Machine of Death 2 to come out still.

Good Omens is one of the few Terry Pratchett books I haven't read yet, should get on that, especially since it was co-written by Neil Gaiman, who my cousin keeps pushing for me to read more. Probably should do that.

In other news, getting into the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Here's to high fantasy, just hoping that it gets past the LotR similarities soon.

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Heh, LotR is awesome. XD

Anyway, for Christmas I got one book I was really waiting for, "The Errant King" by Wayne Thomas Batson. It was a good read, but ultimately I'm not sure it quite lived up to the standard the first book in the series, "The Sword in the Stars" set. The plot just didn't quite feel tied together quite as tightly, and it felt like it tried to do too much. Overall it was pretty much a transition novel between the events of the first book, and the major stuff that's to follow. Still really excited about the sequels though!
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    I'll have to find this so-called "We" then. Until I find a copy, though, I'm reading Good Omens because I had heard about it (ALL. ABOUT IT.) on TV Tropes and figured, okay, I'll get to it. So far so good.

Waiting for Machine of Death 2 to come out still.
    http://www.amazon.com/We-Yevgeny-Zamyatin/dp/0380633132
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

I have to say, Uncle Tom's Cabin is a really long and old book. If I remember correctly, Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote this before the Civil War, so about 150 years ago. It is pretty cool despite being incredibly old.

yeah utc is pretty good, although iirc falls foul a bit to paternalistic attitudes towards black people purported by whites

having said this i was only about 14 when i read this and totally unaware of what an 'uncle tom' was in modern society
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

I finished reading The Eyre Affair just a couple of days ago. It was recommended by my brother's friend, and I have to say, it's kind of really awesome~! The plot is a pretty neat idea and it's really well-written, too. Also it has the characters from Jane Eyre in it a bit so that's pretty much a wonderful bonus. It's apparently the first of a series, so I'll have something to track down and buy now.

Man, this thread is making me want a Kindle or a Kobo pretty badly! I just know I'd read more with books at my beck and call!
    I recently finished "The Hunger Games" trilogy. Pretty good stuff, and I anticipate the upcoming movie.

I also generally read non-fiction, and a lot of Shakespeare. I like to keep well-versed on the bard.
    I also love Harry Potter, so there you go! :D

A slight bump, but for my AP Summer reading assignment, I chose to read The Great Gatsby. It is a great book, I was really surprised because I heard so many negative comments about the book, but I personally enjoyed the way the story was told, the characters and how they acted, and the plot. The description is great too, but one thing that I've found is since it is an older book, from the 1920 era, the word mechanics is off from today's mechanics. The example that I can immediately recall is how words the normally end in 'e', but changed to a gerund or future tense, doesn't lose its 'e'. e.g. Smoke - smokeing. It is not really annoying, just something I found.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Any Agatha Christie fans here? I seem to have developed an addiction to her novels lately. My favorite is And Then There Were None.
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

I finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy today.

These books have rekindled my faith in modern high fantasy. Exceedingly well-planned, with some very subtle hints at brilliant twists, excellently-written characters, a delicious magic system... just over all fantastic.

The only thing I didn't like about it was Sanderson's obsession with marrying everyone off, which led to some characters coming totally out of the woodworks to keep characters from being single. I wouldn't have minded as much if the characters and relationships were a bit more detailed, though, and it's only a minor gripe to be totally honest.

Basically, if you enjoy fantasy, but are in the mood for something a little bit different, then I heartily suggest checking out Mistborn ASAP.

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

I reread Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's series recently because I needed something to read. It's still one of my absolute favorite novel series, and certainly my favorite science fiction anything. I've decided that Life, The Universe, and Everything (the third book) is my favorite individual book of the series, and So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (fourth book) is my least favorite. SLaTfAtF certainly still has quite a few good parts, and the part at the end with God's final message to his creation is probably one of my favorite overall chapters in the series, but as a whole it just gets too boring in the middle. If any of you ever read it, when you get to the part of the book where it suggests skipping head several chapters if you don't want to hear about Arthur Dent's sex life, I would urge you to strongly consider following that suggestion.

Anyway, still a great series and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something thought-provoking and extremely clever.

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

Luck is all in the head. Unless you're Oswald. Then you're just AWESOME. Chris the Kirby's Avatar
    Uh... totally not plotting revenge against Mickey?

Just read "Hit the Road" for a summer book report. I have to say, this book is not dissapoint. The whole plot of the story is about Brit, a 15 year-old girl who just wants a normal summer vacation, but her Grandma Nannie drags her into illegaly driving a rental car to pick up her friends to go to their high-school reunion. I'll just leave it at that some pretty werid things happen on the way, and one guys will do anything to stop them. Read it. READ IT NOW!!!
    O-S-W, A-L-D,
    R-A-BB-I-T!

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

I've been rereading the Dune series, by Frank Herbert. The first one is just as awesome as I remembered it. And I found the five sequels to be better than I remembered, though they aren't as good as the first one, in my opinion. I'm currently on the last one, Chapterhouse: Dune. I haven't gotten that far into it, yet. And I honestly don't remember much about what happens in the book. Well, I guess that's why I'm rereading them.

So, a month or so ago, I started reading Discworld! For those who don't know, it's a series of fantasy books focused on humor/satire. Of course, I enjoy the humor, but there's at least one other major reason I like it. Because it is set in a world that isn't meant to make sense, it allows for for more creative, or at least unusual, stuff. For instance, trolls made of living stone and water falls over the edge of the world.
    I just these books were a bit longer, I have to rent, like, 4 from the library to last me 2 weeks.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sporb View Post
    So, a month or so ago, I started reading Discworld! For those who don't know, it's a series of fantasy books focused on humor/satire. Of course, I enjoy the humor, but there's at least one other major reason I like it. Because it is set in a world that isn't meant to make sense, it allows for for more creative, or at least unusual, stuff. For instance, trolls made of living stone and water falls over the edge of the world.
    I just these books were a bit longer, I have to rent, like, 4 from the library to last me 2 weeks.
    Oh my god Discworld is just the best thing
    Can I ask which ones you've read so far? I would definitely recommend Going Postal - easily the best of them - as well as the entire City Watch arc.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfish64 View Post
    I reread Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's series recently because I needed something to read. It's still one of my absolute favorite novel series, and certainly my favorite science fiction anything. I've decided that Life, The Universe, and Everything (the third book) is my favorite individual book of the series, and So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (fourth book) is my least favorite. SLaTfAtF certainly still has quite a few good parts, and the part at the end with God's final message to his creation is probably one of my favorite overall chapters in the series, but as a whole it just gets too boring in the middle. If any of you ever read it, when you get to the part of the book where it suggests skipping head several chapters if you don't want to hear about Arthur Dent's sex life, I would urge you to strongly consider following that suggestion.

Anyway, still a great series and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something thought-provoking and extremely clever.
    Geez why didn't I see this post earlier ; -;

I have to agree with these sentiments. Life, The Universe, and Everything is amazing (Agrajag is my favorite character in anything, largely because of his backstory) and while I enjoy SLaTfAtF it's not as interesting. There's some decent characters but for the most part it's just not as entertaining as the other books, I guess that's just what happens when you have a book series about space travel and you focus the entire thing on Earth. Absolutely my favorite book series ever, Douglas Adams is basically my hero.

Earlier this summer I read the Godfather, which was a good book. Quite a few varied and interesting characters, I enjoyed it a lot. Going to have to see the movie soon. As for other things... I'm currently reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's a really good fantasy series but it's also really long (the average page number per book has to be around the 700-900 range, and there's... I think 13 books in the series, with the final 14th book coming out next year) so it takes a lot of focus (aka other than the Godfather it's about the only thing I've been reading since after I finished the Hunger Games trilogy in March last year). I just finished the prequel novel New Spring, which is really short compared to the others (around 300 pages). It was really good and explained a lot about the series (but if you're ever interested in reading the series, read it after the 5th book... otherwise you'll be horribly confused about a lot of things). Going to start the 6th book sometime soon, but maybe I'll read something else before that. We'll see.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    Can I ask which ones you've read so far?
    I've been trying to read them roughly in order, so mostly the Rincewind ones, like The Light Fantastic and Eric. I also read Mort and Lords And Ladies; I'm currently going through Moving Pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore
    I would definitely recommend Going Postal - easily the best of them - as well as the entire City Watch arc.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to read the City Watch ones, but I'm not sure where to start.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sporb View Post
    I've been trying to read them roughly in order, so mostly the Rincewind ones, like The Light Fantastic and Eric. I also read Mort and Lords And Ladies; I'm currently going through Moving Pictures.
    I would suggest reading them in the order of plot arcs (such as the whole Witches arc, the whole Death arc, the whole Watch arc and so on) rather than chronological order, which jumps back and forth all over the place. The earlier books can actually have quite a different feel to the later ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to read the City Watch ones, but I'm not sure where to start.
    Guards! Guards! is the first one in that arc. I can also promise that it gets better as it goes on, too. Thud! - one of the later entries in that arc - is easily one of my favourites, but I find them to be consistently among Pratchett's best.

I decided to read the Harry Potter series. I had already read books 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7, but I wanted to actually read them in order.

I liked them quite a bit. The 5th one was probably my favorite.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

I recently read The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. I can't express how glad I am I didn't have the plot spoiled for me: The twists in that book are phenomenal. So simple, yet so devious. The ending is anti-climactic (not that that's neccesarily a bad thing) and the level of allegory is a little deeper than I could follow. But it was still a fascinating and thrilling read. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    I've been rereading the Dune series, by Frank Herbert. The first one is just as awesome as I remembered it. And I found the five sequels to be better than I remembered, though they aren't as good as the first one, in my opinion. I'm currently on the last one, Chapterhouse: Dune. I haven't gotten that far into it, yet. And I honestly don't remember much about what happens in the book. Well, I guess that's why I'm rereading them.
    Oh hey, glad to see another Dune reader here! I'm in the middle of the first right now though I wasn't aware it was a full fledged series. I've been enjoying it so far so I may have to read the rest, provided they can keep up with the first. I know that's why I didn't read the other Ender's Game books.

I know before I picked up Dune, I was in search of a new sci-fi book to read and I found a series of novellas called Wool that was highly recommended. I saw the first one was free on my Kindle and it left me completely compelled to read the others! I plan on buying the omnibus edition when I can; I suggest you fellow sci-fi fans give it a look!
    Spoiler: Geno's Codes and Things

I just realized that my "title" was stupid since it's april now Meta-Mind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *GenoWhirl* View Post
    Oh hey, glad to see another Dune reader here! I'm in the middle of the first right now though I wasn't aware it was a full fledged series. I've been enjoying it so far so I may have to read the rest, provided they can keep up with the first. I know that's why I didn't read the other Ender's Game books.

I know before I picked up Dune, I was in search of a new sci-fi book to read and I found a series of novellas called Wool that was highly recommended. I saw the first one was free on my Kindle and it left me completely compelled to read the others! I plan on buying the omnibus edition when I can; I suggest you fellow sci-fi fans give it a look!
    Wait, did I hear Dune?

*Applause*

I really liked the original Dune and also Paul is such a Lightning Bruiser/Magic Knight/Jack-of-all-trades I don't even. The way prophecies and visions were set up was... interesting, and actually made some sense beyond the contrived. Along a similar tact, the reveal in later books that
    seeing a future dooms it to happen
    just compounds this take on things.

Thread Information