Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visual Novels

Visual Novels

Disappoint, Saber

So, visual novels. For the unaware, they're like books with graphics and music, but the main point of them are the different story routes, which can change depending on the choices you have the main characters make. Some have truly excellent stories.

So, let's see the ones that I've read, and my opinions on them, yes?

Crimsoness: No Wikipedia Link. Here, we follow normal schoolgirl Bakumi Moriyama as she tries to finish her test during the last 3 minutes of the time limit... but then she finds out that she put the right answers in the wrong questions. With not enough time to redo everything, her only option is to, of couse, take out her RAGE by MURDER DEATH KILLing everything in the school. So you have 3 minutes to do that. And who knows? Maybe you'll get to SPLIT THE EARTH while you're at it.
    So... yeah, it's weird. But it's only 3 minutes long (or not). Oh, and as a side note, it was made by the same guy that made OMGWTFOTL (see below).
    Fate/stay night: The Holy Grail War is a legendary conflict between magicians, where seven of them (the Masters) summon seven spirits of ancient heroes (the Servants) to do battle, with the winner winning the Holy Grail itself. Our protagonist, Shirou Emiya, accidentally finds himself taking part in the battle, as the Master of the Saber-class Servant. And from there, the story can take a multitude of different paths.
    This is one of the most famous visual novels out there, and for good reason. A prime example of what this medium is capable of.
    Go! Go! Nippon: No Wikipedia link. One made specifically for non-japanese people. It's mostly informative, containing stuff about Japan's sightseeing spots, a little history, explanation of how some things work there, etc. There's a little romance at the end, too. It's not bad, and I guess it could work as an entry-level VN.
    Kara no Shoujo: Manages to mix a serial murder mystery with romance. It's done quite well, though. I haven't finished it yet, but it's good so far. Keep in mind, however, that it has some very graphic CGs. I don't mind guro, but well...
    Katawa Shoujo: Presents the basic school romance type of story, but with an interesting twist - most of the characters are disabled in some way. It deals with the topic of disabilities quite tastefully. One of my favorites, and an excellent entry-level VN. It's avaible for free on the official site here!
    Magical Diary: Horse Hall: An OELVN that was probably based on Harry Potter. You're a girl (with customizable name and appearance, even) who one day discovers that she has magic powers. Then, she's invited to go to Hogwarts Iris Academy, where she'll learn how to control magic.
    That's... pretty much the whole plot. During the year, you can choose which type of magic to learn (there are five, and each is based on a different concept, which sometimes combine to do other things), go through tests involving exploring dungeons, and there is, of course, the romance part too. I especially like how everyone treats homosexual relationships as absolutely normal (one of the things the protagonist thinks at the end of one of the lesbian routes is even "we're just a normal couple", and everyone seems to agree). So... it's a good vn. It's just too short, because you don't really get an opportunity to use all the awesome spells you learn.
    Narcissu: This one is 100% story, as it has little graphics and the music's not really memorable. It's pretty good, though, and I reccomend it. It's also goddamn sad.
    OMGWTFOTL: No Wikipedia link. Osaka Banchou raped your little sister and gouged out your best friend's eyes. Now, your journey for revenge is finally over, as he stands before you! However, he is too powerful, and you're not strong enough to take him on. What will you do?
    > Genuflect
    > Don't genuflect
    Well... you really need to read it yourself in order to understand what the hell is going on in it. And it's five minutes long! And free! So really, read this one.
    Saya no Uta: Fuminori Sakisaka was just a normal guy, until a car accident kills his parents and leaves him heavily injured. He undergoes an experimental brain surgery to be saved, and it works, but it ends up having a terrible side effect - he now sees the world as a bizarre nightmare, where the walls are made out of flesh, the sky is constantly dark and the people resemble lovecraftian monsters. While in the hospital, he slowly goes insane and begins to consider suicide, when a little girl called Saya happens upon his room. As she doesn't look like a monster, Fuminori quickly becomes friends with her, and she becomes a beacon of hope for him.
    So... this is probably my absolute favorite here. It's a little hard to exactly describe the story without spoiling it, so I'll just say that it manages to be beautiful and sad at the same time. I'd consider it a must-read.
    Sengoku Rance: A mix of visual novel and strategy game Ok, this is more of a mix of dating sim with strategy, but I'm still putting it here because it's awesome. You are Rance, the manliest man in the world, and while in a trip to JAPAN, you have two goals: 1. help your friend Nobunaga Oda unify the country, and 2. have sex with all possible women. As expected, it's sort of based in real-life Japan's Sengoku period, and has a lot of h-scenes. As in, pretty much every female character has at least one, except for like, three of them ok it's actually 8, but that's still not a lot. But it's also an excellent game, even if what-the-&&&&-hard at times.
    Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: A yuri series consisting of ten visual novels, along with light novels, some drama CDs and a Youtube mini-drama. Five of the VNs have been translated, and the others are being worked on. The series is known for being really cute (someone once described it as being "cute girls having cute sex", and I agree with this person 100%). Don't miss this if you like cuteness. Or yuri. Or both.
    Tsukihime: The first work of Type-Moon, the guys that made Fate/stay night. So, you know that it's going to be awesome. The story can take way too many different paths for a nice summary of it to be possible, but in a nutshell, it follows normal high school student Shiki Tohno as he returns to his family's house after his father dies - he had been living with his uncle and aunt until then, due to not getting along very well with the old man. But then a ton of crazy &&&& starts to happen, mostly featuring either vampires (note: this is the only vampire-related story that I can enjoy) or his family's dark and mysterious past.
    Umineko no Naku Koro Ni: Incredibly meta murder mystery featuring witches, trolling, lying, making up &&&& on the spot, excellent music and awesomeness in general. Also bad art, but you get used to it after a while. One of the best visual sound novels out there, surely.
    Yukkuri Panic Escalation: No Wikipedia link. It's a short yuri eroge with a couple of h-scenes, but the interesting thing here is that you get to play Qix to progress through them! It's really fun.
    Yume Miru Kusuri: Also a good entry-level VN. The h-scenes can be a bit random sometimes, but it's still pretty good.
    Last edited by Chiffon; January 17th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Your fetish?
    There's a VN all about Rider?
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Godai View Post
    Your fetish?
    There's a VN all about Rider?
    herp look at me im godai and im so clever

Rider's one of the sexiest and most awesome characters ever, but she's not my fetish. (though she's the main reason I want to read F/ha)

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar
    >Main reason for reading F/ha not Saber bathtub sexytimes
    what
    ...what

And ugh I need to finish HF route but I'm always really tired and don't feel like reading when I'm on the laptop :/

Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    >Main reason for reading F/ha not Saber bathtub sexytimes
    >implying that MY main reason wouldn't be Rider

you mad bro

Re: Visual Novels

Hey I should be using this topic to say news regarding VNs and such. So:

- Witch-Hunt's english patch for the second arc of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru (and sixth episode of Umineko as a whole) was released some days ago!
    - Matsuribayashi-hen, the last arc of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai, was released today in english!
    - Aura, of Four Leaf Studios, talks about how Katawa Shoujo's development works!

And as a bonus:

- I think that Battler's birthday is today?

yaaaay

So I made a casual general reference in school today to F/SN (People die when they're killed), and this kid beside me starts and looks at me weird. The rest of lunch passed without more comment, until the end where he jokingly referred to me as "Shirou"

I am very happy about this sudden turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    So I made a casual general reference in school today to F/SN (People die when they're killed), and this kid beside me starts and looks at me weird. The rest of lunch passed without more comment, until the end where he jokingly referred to me as "Shirou"

I am very happy about this sudden turn of events.
    That's nice.

I wish I could talk about visual novels with people in real life :<
    Last edited by Chiffon; September 22nd, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

The kid in question is native Japanese, so I guess it makes sense for him to have heard of it. I already knew he watched a lot of anime, but this is just amazing.

Derp.

I just finished Umineko ep. 6, which I should've done a long time ago. And it was awesome! Now, I wonder which direction ep. 7 will take.

I also read OMGWTFOTL. Quite a short and fun read, which I reccomend to anyone that's interested in visual novels.

Also, for those that don't know yet, there a complete remake of Umineko episodes 1-4 in the works for PS3. It'll include completely remade graphics (so no more terrible Ryukishi art) and will be completely voiced. But don't worry, the awesome music that Ryukishi's works are known for won't be changed. Of course, the chances of it being released in english are slim, and being on PS3, an english translation is impossible.

More Umineko news! A fighting game based on episodes 1-4 is being made and will be released on the next Comiket, I think.

And yeah I know that these aren't exactly "news" but I just forgot about this topic.

So Tsukihime has been... interesting so far. It shows that it was apparently an earlier work of Type-Moon's. sdfsdfadf Shiki cannot die

Umineko's episode 8 and Ougon Musou Kyoku (the fighting game) were released today/yesterday (the 31th). I'm still on ep. 7, and as a failure on fighting games, I can't figure out OMK.

...Just saw the dream scene. Hope it influenced routes; I picked Arc's dream and I'm hoping to do her route first.

This is way too dead for my liking.

An official translation for Kara no Shoujo was released last month, and I'm currently reading it. Pretty good so far. The mystery aspect is quite thrilling, while the romance aspect is done in an interesting way.

Key also released Rewrite, their latest work, but I don't think anyone here has read their stuff (Air, Kanon, Clannad, etc).

But yes, talk more about VNs, guys

Cute Little Poot

I've seen the Clannad and Kanon animes (Kyoto Animation's versions), and I'd love to get a hold of the VNs, but they're so dang expensive to ship...that and the translation patches don't work with the Memorial Editions. Still pretty fun, and the music is amazing.

Dat scene in the alleyway
    ...Yeah, nothing else to say about it. My laptop is currently in North Carolina so I can't even read more of it right now.

So... AXYPB is releasing another patch for another Sono Hanabira game. This time, it's Mai and Reo's second, which would be the fifth overall.

...and the fourth that he's a released a patch for in this year. That's just amazing, considering that visual novel translations tend to take absolutely forever to get done, and that the patch for the fourth game was released last month.

Quote Originally Posted by /u/
    So AXYPB is the true name of God.
    And this reminds me that I still have to read all of them... ah.

As I type, I am slowly downloading EP1-EP4 of Umineko. I already saw the anime, so I guess I'm sort of spoiled on most of it, but I've downloaded and read the free version of EP1 before, and it was still incredible, so this is all still definitely worth it, I'm sure.

The download is halfway done...JUST HURRY UP, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kerkec View Post
    As I type, I am slowly downloading EP1-EP4 of Umineko. I already saw the anime, so I guess I'm sort of spoiled on most of it, but I've downloaded and read the free version of EP1 before, and it was still incredible, so this is all still definitely worth it, I'm sure.

The download is halfway done...JUST HURRY UP, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    I haven't watched it, but from what I remember hearing from someone that did, they cut a few things here and there.

Also, download episodes 5 to 8 while you're at it. I don't think the anime covered these, and 8 is being translated, so all will be well.

I just remembered that I played another vn a few days ago... I'll add it to the first post.
    Last edited by Chiffon; August 10th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    I haven't watched it, but from what I remember hearing from someone that did, they cut a few things here and there.

Also, download episodes 5 to 8 while you're at it. I don't think the anime covered these, and 8 is being translated, so all will be well.
    Well, they're not selling 5-8 right now, where I downloaded it. They were before, but even if they still were, I wouldn't have gotten it yet. 8 will include 5-7 as a bundle, so it'll cost as much as all of them combined, but if you buy 5-7, which is what they had until recently, you can't upgrade or anything. So you'd basically be wasting money. And EP8's been in the translation process for nearly a year now, and it's only a bit over halfway done, apparently.

Also, if EP1 is anything to go by, they didn't just cut out a "few things here and there". They cut out a LOT of things from pretty much EVERYWHERE. Which is rather dumb considering that this is sort of mystery series. Though obviously they had a time schedule and a budget to work around, so I guess they did as much as they could...
    Last edited by Kerkec; August 10th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

I just finished the only route that matters in Magical Diary: Horse Hall, a fantasy OELVN (= Original English Language Visual Novel, which means one that was written in english and not japanese). I'll add some details to the first post, but the route in question was an adorable lesbian one (the protagonist is female). Sooo yeah.

Speaking of yuri, I'm going to read the translated Sonohana games soon.

EDIT: Ok, before Sonohana, I read Go Go Nippon. It was made specifically for the overseas fans of visual novels.
    It's about a guy who is travelling to Japan for a week for the first time, and he's going to stay at the house of two internet friends of his, Makoto and Akira, who turn out to be girls.
    You can go out to different parts of Tokyo, and either one of the sisters will then explain some stuff about the place and its history, etc. There's also some things with food. It's mostly informative, really, but there's a little romance at the end.
    It's... not bad. The music and graphics are pretty good, and Akira is the good kind of tsundere, but it could have really done without the fanservice. And the romance, if it had to be this short.
    Last edited by Chiffon; October 24th, 2011 at 07:49 PM.

You know, that people aren't even remotely interested in visual novels makes me a bit sad. Yet, this topic has over 1000 views...? Hm.

In other news, AXYPB released another patch for another Sono Hanabira - the seventh one. So that makes it five patches this year. The man's dedication to this series is truly amazing.

I also finished reading another one, made by OMGWTFOTL's creator, called Crimsoness. It's just as strange, and just as excellent... or maybe even more so. Well, I'll add a description of it to the first post.

Ooh, a VN thread. I'd like to get in to more of them, but I don't really find the time to. v:

A shame I have a lack of space on this computer, or I would get some. I had Ever17 sitting on my desktop for a couple months, when I just deleted it since I figured I'd never get around to it. My friend said that it was pretty nice. I should re-download it some time.

Only one that I've completed is Cross Channel, and I really liked it. 0:

Date set for Katawa Shoujo.

My body is ready.

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    Date set for Katawa Shoujo.

My body is ready.
    Half of me is shocked that it's actually going to be finished, and the other half is excited because I really liked the demo. I needed something to read as well, so it's just in time.

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

Thread Information