Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Re: Fire Emblem

Well, so I finished the Sacred Stones draft

My end turn count was 368 because I'm slow and dumb

As I said earlier I really don't think my end result will be difficult to beat and I'll probably be last, but the point of me joining this was to have some fun with everyone else and also just have a different sort of experience.

Overall, the run was very challenging, but also it was really fun. In the end I couldn't shake some habits, like for example I hoarded craploads of gold (I ended up with over 60000...) and recruited every single character and made sure they lived. Of course, I wasn't able to get any of the support endings I usually want but oh well. And hey I wasn't (as) afraid use all my stat-up items and high-end weapons this time go me

Spoiler: SS Draft Chapter Log 14-F 

Spoiler: Final Team Overview 

If I had to rank everyone... well damn it's impossible, everybody was extremely helpful.

but Lute was at the top obviously

and ephraim was at the bottom whoops sorry
    Last edited by Dynawing; December 31st, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the competition turns out, these reports are a fun read.
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    The goal is to pretty much finish the game with the lowest turn count with the characters that we had drafted on the previous page. There are penalties and other rules that are mentioned on the previous page, but that's pretty much the gist of it. I know that some people are just in it for fun though, so turn count kind of takes a second priority to just having fun with friends.

Drafting characters is fun since there's strategy involved. You want to pick characters who work well together, and I think that Dyna saw this pretty well by picking Natasha, a healer, and Tethys, a dancer who could help funnel exp into Natasha. Moulder is leveling up pretty slowly for me, but apparently Dyna isn't having troubles leveling his healer (i am totally giving dyna much more credit than he deserved on this one since for some reason, no one wanted to pick tethys until the end which is actually really silly now that I think about it :b).
    WELL I understand the idea behind a draft, I'm just wondering if there were other things that you're going by since some of you are making a big fuss about turn count and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos Wilder View Post
    I was directed here by a lovely lady of the arena. Anyone here a fan of FE4/5? A couple of my favorite games in the series. Man, I wish they were released in english, or at least a remake in GBA style.
    Fan, but haven't played all the way through either of them. Partly due to poor translation patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    I definitely need to finish FE4. The lack of proper fan translations makes me sad... Well, there's some out there, but not 100% English.

Maybe after I'm done with this draft, I will play it?
    Part of the reason for a proper fan translation I think was because of the intro sequences, since that the japanese characters in those parts of the game aren't so easy to replace with romanized letters.

It's been a while since I tried playing a translated version of the game(about 5 years?), the one I used stopped about halfway through the game, so boss dialogue and some names started getting screwy. I'd think there's a patch that did things all the way through.

And with Nintendo having no revealed plans to bring the Jugdral Chronicles overseas...

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

This is not even my final form Zant's Avatar
    Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Restarted Sacred Stones, this time in hard mode and trying to use characters I hadn't used before and taking Ephraims path. It really does get harder, enemies with axes now actually hit Pegasi, and where it took 'till chapter 12 before enemies did any damage against Seth, they've now started to do damage since chapter 2. A pleasant surprise.

Seeing how I started over, perhaps I could join this draft thing ye lads are talking about? Just wondering how to enter and what it is in the first place.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    Part of the reason for a proper fan translation I think was because of the intro sequences, since that the japanese characters in those parts of the game aren't so easy to replace with romanized letters.

It's been a while since I tried playing a translated version of the game(about 5 years?), the one I used stopped about halfway through the game, so boss dialogue and some names started getting screwy. I'd think there's a patch that did things all the way through.

And with Nintendo having no revealed plans to bring the Jugdral Chronicles overseas...
    Ayup, the translation I got still had the intro in raw format. It is hard to translate those intros because the letters are graphics/sprites, not something you find on the text dumps of the game. The translators would have to sprite new letters and insert them into the intro, which I hear is quite a pain.

However, the patch I downloaded claimed that it translated everything else... but since I haven't gotten past chapter 3, I can't say :b

Quote Originally Posted by King Zant View Post
    Seeing how I started over, perhaps I could join this draft thing ye lads are talking about? Just wondering how to enter and what it is in the first place.
    While it would be nice for you to join us, the characters have been already evenly distributed between us, so...
    But nothing stops you from playing by the draft rules~
    Just choose the same number of characters as us for your team. It would be like a solo run!

I...guess?

Ok then. So I go in Hard Mode with 8 characters, 6 of whom I haven't used before to stick with my own rule. So that'll be the 2 lords, Colm, Neimi, Moulder, Vanessa, Joshua and Ewan.

Piece of cake! On it now.

Quote Originally Posted by King Zant View Post
    Ok then. So I go in Hard Mode with 8 characters, 6 of whom I haven't used before to stick with my own rule. So that'll be the 2 lords, Colm, Neimi, Moulder, Vanessa, Joshua and Ewan.

Piece of cake! On it now.
    You also have to follow the rules on Ark's post of the draft, but yeah, that's pretty much it.
    Remember, no Skirmishes and no Tower of Valni (with exceptions)

So guys, have you noticed there are cavaliers with either red and green armor, or red and green hair? After a while of juggling back between many FE games, I've decided that Kent and Sain, from Fire Emblem 7, are my favorite duo of them all. Sain is funny and a ladies man, and Kent despises (almost) everything that Sain does. They really bounce off each other and are a pretty good combination for the game as well: Sain is more focused on power, while Kent is more on speed.
    A Moment of Change

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Fox View Post
    So guys, have you noticed there are cavaliers with either red and green armor, or red and green hair? After a while of juggling back between many FE games, I've decided that Kent and Sain, from Fire Emblem 7, are my favorite duo of them all. Sain is funny and a ladies man, and Kent despises (almost) everything that Sain does. They really bounce off each other and are a pretty good combination for the game as well: Sain is more focused on power, while Kent is more on speed.
    The cavaliers are an archetype of Fire Emblem, a mainstay that's been with the series for a long time. Typically the red one is more oriented in power while the other is more oriented in speed/skill, though this was reversed for some odd reason in FE7.

I'm tempted to say Sacred Stones just because of how much Forde and Kyle suspiciously look like other anime characters(from two completely different series).

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Achtung, baby! Today, we play it my way! Forum Veteran Ark's Avatar

Yup, that's the Cain and Abel archetype right there (although, in this case, the armor colors wound up getting switched).

Personally, I like Kent a lot more than Sain since Sain's tendency to act as a ladies man was just off-putting to me. That being said, both are still great units with Sain probably edging out Kent in usability since he'll generally be able to kill things even without Kent's speed. Sain will essentially be another Marcus if you choose to use him throughout the game, but Marcus has the bonus of coming in with great weapon ranks, earlier availability (Lyn mode really doesn't count), and he doesn't cost you a Knight Crest since he's already promoted.

I like them a lot more than the rest of the cavalier duos since I think their personalities blend pretty well though.

I'm actually a fan of Forde and Franz, even though I don't think that Franz forms part of that archetype... but he's still a great unit!
    Meanwhile, I like Forde because of his support conversations, and he gives off the vibe of the kind of guy with whom you would hang around with.
    Also, he likes drawing, so that's a plus for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    I'm actually a fan of Forde and Franz, even though I don't think that Franz forms part of that archetype... but he's still a great unit!
    Meanwhile, I like Forde because of his support conversations, and he gives off the vibe of the kind of guy with whom you would hang around with.
    Also, he likes drawing, so that's a plus for me!
    It's more Forde and Kyle, mainly because they're already paired together(with Ephraim mind you) rather than own his own like Franz. Plus, they also form the red/green team that Intelligent Systems is so fond of with the pairs. I think Gaiden and Thracia 776 are the only two games that don't have the archetype, just going by memory...

year of the salmon Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

So I haven't posted here in a while, log time!

Spoiler: Team Eirika's Man-Harem: Chapter 5-14 Breakdown 

Chapter 15 is a good place for me to be, as it means my party reaches completion. Duessel will make a good addition, as will Ephraim, but I don't know what to do with Knoll in the slightest. :b

Do you ever get the feeling you’re being watched? Ruane's Avatar

Is anyone familiar with how Myrrh works? I've tried playing with her a couple times, but she appears to be a glass cannon, fantastic on offense but crumbles when attacked. She is still at a low level on my file so perhaps I just haven't increased her stats enough. Then again, maybe it has to do with those dragonstone stats. I'm just not sure how to use her.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

I rarely use Myyrh in my runs. She's useful for taking down stronger enemies such as Draco Zombies since her Dragonstone buffs her stats quite a bit and does 3x damage to monsters, but if you have someone who can reliably take down those stronger foes (in this case, Bishops with light magic, a unit with a bow, or a unit wielding a dragon killing axe/lance can take out Draco Zombies pretty well), then you should probably just ditch Myyrh.

The big downside with her is that her personal weapon, the Dragonstone, has 50 uses, and it can't be repaired, even with the Hammerne staff. That really limits her effectiveness, and it makes it pretty hard to use her for more than just the occasional strong monster.
    Last edited by Ark; January 19th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.

She just requires a bit of training. Her defense gets better as she levels up. As does her strenght, speed, skill, luck and resistance. And man, does she level up fast. By level 10 she should be one of your strongest units and she still level up like mad.

The big downside with her is that her personal weapon, the Dragonstone, has 50 uses, and it can't be repaired, even with the Hammerne staff. That really limits her effectiveness, and it makes it pretty hard to use her for more than just the occasional strong monster.
    You could just use the item repair glitch with the gorgon eggs and action tiles like lava. It is quite helpful for repairing items that are really useful without wasting Hammerne on it, or in this case, the Dragonstone. It is similar to the Mine Glitch in Fire Emblem 7, which was really fun to use as well.
    A Moment of Change

That's true, but the big thing there is that it's a glitch and pretty much cheating. I can't say what's right or wrong since it's not like I'm the one playing, but I was under the assumption that Ruane was going to go for a more "normal" run instead of abusing cheats. :P

There's a good reason as to why Myrrh's weapon is limited in use, and that's because if the character with the best growths in the game could use the best weapon in the game as much as the player wants her to, she'd essentially dominate everything without breaking a sweat. I mean, even without leveling up to 20, she can make short work of the final boss (not like the final boss was hard to begin with, but still).

Yeah. Even at level 1 Myrrh was stronger than pretty much any unit except Seth, she gains almost a full level per monster, and she's even more amazing as she levels up. Seriously, Myrrh's basically a 50-use cheat device for getting past particularly troublesome monsters.
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Did somebody say diplomatic immunity? Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

I managed to get a hold of Fire Emblem (the first worldwide GBA one, Rekka no Ken right?) and I've been having a good time with it. Naturally my tactics rank is poor, only two stars, when I've been doing such a fine job maintaining my highest of three stars.

I wanted to ask, what's all of your opinions on Marcus? I'm not sure if I want to continue using him or not when I've got Kent as a paladin. Overall, Marcus is currently better, but this is comparing lvl.9 Marcus vs. lvl.1 Kent.
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

A lot of people hold a prejudice against Marcus since Marcus is the Jeigan of the game and people believe that you shouldn't be using prepromotes at all. These preconceptions are pretty much false all the way through since Marcus is pretty much the best unit in the game.

First off, we should look at what Marcus has going for him. Marcus has amazing base stats that shouldn't be overlooked at all since he's the guy who's gonna be pulling along your weaker units from start to finish, even acting as a magic sponge with his respectable 8 RES. His weapon ranks are also amazing since he starts off with an A in swords, an A in lances, and a B in axes (which is all he'll need since that gives him access to Killer and Brave Axes). The complete dominance he has over the weapon triangle allows him to run through the enemy with everything from Silver weapons, to Braves, and even Javelins and Hand Axes when he needs to fight at a distance. He'll be even tougher for the enemy to kill when the enemy has to suffer through -1 Attack and -15 Hit when attacking him with a weapon that's on the losing end of the weapon triangle.

Now what are his weaknesses? Well, his growths aren't especially amazing, but when you add them to his amazing bases, they come out as pretty alright. His speed is where he's going to falter midway through the game as he won't be able to double, but by that time, enemy units will be making the switch to heavy Steel weapons which should give Marcus an edge. Pop some Speedwings on him to ensure that he continues doubling in the endgame, and if you toss in Brave weapons, then you won't notice his speed problem at all. Kent doesn't need to worry about speed all that much, but he has a lot of growing to do when it comes to being as useful as Marcus.

Anyway, if you want to get your tactics rank up, use both Marcus and Kent. Paladins are amazing since their movement lets them ride all over the map without a care in the world while they demolish enemy units with all three weapons of the weapon triangle. Marcus is the best unit in the game, but Kent is still an amazing unit in his own right, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with using both of them.

Aight thanks man. It'd be easier to decide on who I'm using if I knew how many people I'd need in the end. What would that be? 12 not including Eliwood?
    Oh and am I ever going to use Lyn again? I really haven't used her in a little while...

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed 12 units, and 5 of them are units that you're forced into taking. Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn are three of the 5, and the other 2 are characters you get later:
    Athos and Nils

What do you mean by not having used Lyn in a while? She returns in Chapter 15 if you're not up to that point yet.

I finished Ch. 20, and Lyn is only level 7, as compared to Eliwood and Hector both being around 14. So I guess I should use her more... Kind of hate being so limited, but after looking up the fourth character you mentioned, I'm at least cool with that one.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I rarely use Myyrh in my runs. She's useful for taking down stronger enemies such as Draco Zombies since her Dragonstone buffs her stats quite a bit and does 3x damage to monsters, but if you have someone who can reliably take down those stronger foes (in this case, Bishops with light magic, a unit with a bow, or a unit wielding a dragon killing axe/lance can take out Draco Zombies pretty well), then you should probably just ditch Myyrh.

There's always the possibility of using the glitch to get her Wretched Air as a replacement for the Dragonstone!

Not the most practical thing but its still a possibility to keep Myyrh usable if you lose the Dragonstone.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Thread Information