Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem

"We won't ask you to love us." Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

Re: Fire Emblem

Yes, I saved after he died and I don't particularly care for Ewa either. Fire Emblem gives you so many characters, you can't possibly use the all. Dunno, but Black Magic seems to be worse than Light and Anima Magic. I can live without a Dark Magic user.

Is it possible to get a second whip, so I can promote Tala? She's level 18 or 19 now, so it won't take long for her to max out her level.
    Spoiler: 3DS code and other stuff 

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

I believe the recruitable Wyvern Rider carries one. He does on Eirika's path anyhow. I suppose you'll meet him very soon.

Unless you mistook him for an enemy unit and killed him, that is. He's one of the very few FE good guys who has a bit of a badguy face.

Anyhow, I killed the final boss and got the credits done. Now there's something about a
    Creature Campaign
    or something, but frankly
    I don't feel like fighting such weak pathetic creatures over and over again...
    Last edited by Zant; December 26th, 2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: got Strikeout and Spoilers mixed up. Woops

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    Yes, I saved after he died and I don't particularly care for Ewa either. Fire Emblem gives you so many characters, you can't possibly use the all. Dunno, but Black Magic seems to be worse than Light and Anima Magic. I can live without a Dark Magic user.

Is it possible to get a second whip, so I can promote Tala? She's level 18 or 19 now, so it won't take long for her to max out her level.
    There's a secret shop that lets you buy the promotional items in some chapters, but you need to have a Silver Card to access it, and it is hidden in some places in the map. There was one in the Chapter were
    Joshua's mother is killed
    and there's one in the chapter were you fight
    Orson

Other than that, I don't know. And the items are expensive, to boot.

"We won't ask you to love us." Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Zant View Post
    I believe the recruitable Wyvern Rider carries one. He does on Eirika's path anyhow. I suppose you'll meet him very soon.

Unless you mistook him for an enemy unit and killed him, that is. He's one of the very few FE good guys who has a bit of a badguy face.
    I just looked it up. He appeared in chapter 13, well, he would have appeared at least, but I beat the chapter to quickly. So, he didn't arrive in time and that means no Cormag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    There's a secret shop that lets you buy the promotional items in some chapters, but you need to have a Silver Card to access it, and it is hidden in some places in the map. There was one in the Chapter were
    Joshua's mother is killed
    and there's one in the chapter were you fight
    Orson
    Ah merde, I just beat that chapter today. I guess she'll stay a Pegasus Knight now.
    Spoiler: 3DS code and other stuff 

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    [...] and there's one in the chapter were you fight
    Orson
    Actually, on Ephraim's route it's on the
    Grado keep
    . And there's a third on the
    Rausten court
    , which appears on both routes.

They also sell the stat-boosting items.

So a couple people wanted to do a draft, and I figured that these would be fun rules to use. The picking order was me (1) down to Doof (5), then back up from Doof to me, and so on. I think I made some good picks, and I'll try to keep a log updated with how everything went along with turn counts.

Spoiler: The Rules and Teams 

Spoiler: My Thoughts 

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

well gee thanks ark

not my fault you stole vanessa ;-;

But basically I was looking for motivation to play again rather than the competitive aspect and I guess challenge is good too. Except i realized how hard this beginning is going to be since everybody is made out of cardboard. It's like if the Dawn Brigade chapters from RD extended or something.

yep this is going to be fun

year of the salmon Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Team Manly Men, as I have flippantly dubbed my all-male team (barring Eirika), is ready to spring into action, mhm. I was quite happy with my picks, although in an ideal world I'd have taken Lute and Neimi rather than Duessel and Knoll.

Spoiler: Thoughts and reasoning 

I'll also try and keep a log of sorts of the exploits of Maid Eirika and her Manly Men. Or something.

closer and closer
    we're crashing ships in the night

Franz comes with pretty good starting stats for his level, and his growths are relatively decent even though none (outside of HP) are spectacular; Great Knights have better caps, so if you don't miss that 1 movement, then that might be a better pick.

We're in Eirika's route, so I would suggest turning Artur into a Bishop since then he'll be able to destroy all the monsters. You won't have Anima magic unless you turn Knoll into a Druid though, but I think it's worth it since Slayer is so strong.

Honestly, I would suggest turning Gerik into a Hero since he's much better off in that class. You already have quite a few units with range, and there's Innes if you really want to use bows.

Also, I'm kind of only posting since Lenore doesn't want to doublepost and I'm such a classy gent.
    Last edited by Ark; December 27th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.

Oh I can post my thoughts on the characters I chose too!

Spoiler: Team Impressions 

All in all I think I can manage with this team, and I'm just overall pleased I got so many of the characters I'd planned on, and also pleased since I love all of them. Except I guess I don't actually like Tethys that much, but yeah Team Waifu (plus Forde/Ephraim, minus Vanessa ;-; ) is go

And as far as the run goes I've started and made it to Chapter 6 now. The first few chapters weren't as rough as I expected, although right now it's a bit of a bad spot even though I already have 4 good characters to work with. The issue here is that Team Waifu is generally very squishy right now. Also, Chapter 5x was a bit of a pain, but after some inventory management puzzles and some resets I got through. That archer at the beginning was a huge butt, jeez.

Chapter 5 in particular was also pretty difficult. Somehow I managed to save every village, but that was really hard and I took quite a few retries. I did recruit Joshua for the Killing Edge and I'd feel terrible if I let one of my favorite characters wander around and die/kill someone, and after that... well, let's just say that to save the top village, I had to throw Neimi and Natasha under the bus and miraculously, they didn't die. Natasha didn't like the axe to the face very much but hey I made it!

And now I'm puzzling over how to approach Chapter 6. I really do want to save the villagers from the ugly spiders, since 1. An Orion's Bolt is nice to have and 2. I'd also feel terrible if I didn't. Unfortunately the game is making this hard. There's a hundred billion cavaliers coming in from the north/west. If I go right past the village, there's a hundred billion assorted candy bag of other jerk enemies. And then the hundred billion cavaliers waltz in like "hurrr hey guys what's goin on" and it's just terrible. And if I took my time, which wouldn't be so hard, the people would die! It's quite a problem. I'm thinking of just bum rushing the boss but I have to figure out an effective way to approach all the enemies in a quick way.

Oh, and Eirika is very helpful and is way better than I remembered her, probably since I'm using her so much, but she's really just excellent, and as of now the most helpful asset to the team. She's already quite high leveled though, so I fear for the point she'll begin eating experience for nothing.

God man, Fire Emblem is so fun

Oh yeah, and while I've shown this to some people already I think I'll just post the Fire Emblem 12 Translation Project here. I'm sure some of us remember how this still isn't translated and are a little sore about it, so here's this, and hopefully it'll get done soon. No telling when, though.
    Last edited by Dynawing; December 27th, 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Dyna, how's your turncount so far? Also, I love that we have Team Waifu and Team Manly Men; between us we'd have a gender balance.

Anyway, onto my exploits. The Manly Men proved their worth today; I'm up to chapter four (which means it's time to grab Artur hooray), and my turncount isn't astronomical yet. Took the prologue down in two turns thanks to Eirika critting two of her first four hits. Everything's gone pretty smoothly so far - I've gotten all of the recruits and no deaths, which I guess isn't that great an achievement at the moment. Eirika's level 7 and Franz's level 6, so I'm kinda just cruisin' at the moment. My turncount is 23 at the beginning of chapter 4, if you're counting.

closer and closer

T-turn count?

Tuuuuuuuuuurn...

Count?

Yeah like I said I wasn't joining this for that part of it, so I actually haven't paid much attention to it nor have I tried to minimize it all that much. I doubt I'll win and honestly expect to finish last, there's a lot of habits that are hard to shake and it's all with the way I play. So yeah, I'm not quite sure, but I'm having fun and I honestly think that's what matters here. Hooray!

Stupid cavaliers I AM DONE FOR TODAY

Okay might as well give the rundown on how the Dream Team (everyone else had cool team names and I wanted one too ;-;) did for the first couple of chapters. Next update will probably be larger so I don't end up posting too many of these, but I just wanted to show how far I got in one run.

Spoiler: chapter info 

I'd post character stats, but I dunno how exactly I'd want to post that so the formatting is decent and easy for people to figure out, hrm.
    Last edited by Ark; December 27th, 2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo on the turn count for chapter 2

Oh boy let's do a chapter review log!

Spoiler: SS Draft Chapter Log P-13 

And now that I'm on chapter 14, I need to figure out how Rennac moves, exactly. I had to restart quite a few times, and of course still haven't made it. I have a lot of keys and fully intend to get all the nice treasures, and when I get Rennac I'm hoping to buy as much as I can from the secret shop, most notably the Orion's Bolt so Neimi will stop killing things for no real reward.

Spoiler: Team Rundown 

I doubt I'm doing too good on turn count, but I'm glad that I'm actually making it through this. It's fun and it's actually been really challenging.
    Last edited by Dynawing; December 28th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Wow, Dyna. You're pretty far in, huh. What're these secret shop things, though

Nothing much to report from my party - now renamed Team Eirika's Man-Harem - except that I picked up Artur, meaning that for now my team is complete. I forgot how damn squishy he was, so it took me six attempts and some serious meatshielding from Franz to beat the chapter. I wasted a turn so I could recruit Lute, but I'm honestly not too fussed.

closer and closer

Rennac holds an item called a Member Card. If a unit has that item and stops in a certain place on certain maps, you'll find the secret shop, which is full of pricey but good weapons and staves, along with stat-up and promotion items. The inventory's different in each one though, and I think there's only 2 in this game (due to the route split, technically 3, but...). I forget where the second one is, but the one that matters right now is in chapter 14A, at the end of that little suspicious path of pasture outside the throne room.

Do bear in mind that everything's very pricey, so if you're planning to use it I'd recommend grubbing up a ton of money.

EDIT: Actually turns out the stat-up items are for postgame... hm.

Still, the weapons and all are good. I guess I won't need as much money as I expected.
    Last edited by Dynawing; December 28th, 2011 at 12:38 AM.

Yes, but what is it exactly that Soulja Boy told them? *chuckles to self* *head catches on fire* Aurelite's Avatar
    Take me down to the Anime City where the hair is green and the girls are kitties

I had to reset at ch 4 because Artur took a hit what could have easily gone to Gilliam (Ark said this was technically meatshielding)
    Decided to go ahead and restart the entire game because >only ch 4
    Plus, it was a broken rule, so
    I'm on ch 5 now, and my team is doing well enough
    Haven't played for a while because my gba's battery is almost dead and I can't find the charger ::::')
    I guess I should copypaste the rundown I've made so far

Spoiler: text dump beep beep backing up 
    Last edited by Aurelite; December 28th, 2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: 'is be' is not acceptable
    Spoiler:  

Well, I finally beat Sacred stones, and I'm pretty satisfied with how I did.

Spoiler: Early and mid game 

The next few chapters were unremarkable, aside from the puzzling fact that Grado's armies seem several times larger and better fighters than the rest of the known world. (And still your couple dozen assorted fighters carve right through anything they can throw at you...)

Still, in addition to the list I had earlier, I also lost Tana at Last Hope. Evil archer, I had two main lines of defense set up, but of course he takes a side route and 1-shots her (at full health too) over the wall. That chapter (and fog chapters in general) are pretty evil, I made a huge mistake with leaving Franz near the front lines at low health, and it was only thanks to some really nice dodging on his part that he survived. Forde and Cornag also nearly died during that chapter, it's really surprising and annoying how many units the CPU can throw at you from outside your field of vision. After those scares I really didn't want to leave anyone out as a target except Seth.

Next chapter, I found out that Myrrh is really, REALLY good. Even at level 1 she can 1-shot any normal enemy in the level without taking damage, and she gains nearly a full level per fight. Seriously, I think she ended up being more powerful than Seth (my only other unit to reach level 20, and my main tank for pretty much the whole game.) Also, I found out much to my amusement that one of the bosses for the level (Not the undead dragon, the other one) could not actually damage her.

In the final chapter, there wasn't terribly much of note, although I needed some tricky maneuvering to kill both dragon mini-bosses. (The sacred twin weapons are a MUST for all things boss related.) Using Myrrh to tank the shadowshots from Lyon's little bodyguards, I finally took him out, again mainly thanks to Seth and Myrrh.

The demon king himself was a really close call. At first I advanced my best four units with a shot at killing him... Cornag, Myrrh, Seth, and Ephraim. However, after all of them had taken their shots (and survived), I had a trouble. The boss had all of three HP left, but the only other person in range to actually attack was Eirika, who had no ranged attacks, and all the slots directly next to the boss had been taken. Add in the monsters he'd summoned, and I was looking at a LOT of carnage or a reset. Thankfully, Tethys + Forde rescue + Eirika attack took him out, and (just barely) getting me through in one piece.

All in all it was a really fun game, and I rather enjoyed the epilogue (although seeing Colm's death statement and Neimi as "The tearful archer" back to back hit me hard, especially considering how dumb of a death it was.) I might take another run through the game (on normal this time) through Eirika's path, and try for no deaths. (As well as more A-rank supports, only one I got this game was Joshua-Natasha, and I was kind of surprised how it changed up the ending.)
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Glad you enjoyed the game! I suggest looking into Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance if you're able to since I think it's an even better game than Sacred Stones. There are some differences in the sense that there are no class skills (you might have noticed Generals being able to block attacks without taking damage, Wyvern Knights piercing through defenses, etc.), no world map, and no branching promotions, but I still think that the story and gameplay are great, so if you're interested in the series, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong since it's been a while, but I believe that Normal mode in Sacred Stones is the same as Easy mode, but you aren't given any hints/tutorials. Might as well jump to the hardest difficulty.

Lastly, if you're really interested in supports, you can always sorta cheat and go into the Tower of Valni three times with the units that you want to support and get them up to an A rank. I kinda consider this cheating if you're in it for the main game, but if you just want to view the supports in the support viewer, you can always just turn the game off after getting the supports you want to see. By turning the game off, you can also end up doing this multiple times to get multiple A rank supports (since a character can usually only have 1).

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

I suggest Shadow Dragon if you get the chance. The game doesn't leave you in a sucky position if you lose several troops, so I rather like it. You can also forge weapons and freely change the class of almost all of your characters (for instance if you have no mages, you can change one of your, say, archers into one). Plus, it's the original Fire Emblem story, and it has a worthy final boss IMO.

Yeah, I'd say that Shadow Dragon is a pretty good suggestion too. The gameplay is top-notch, and the fact that you can forge weapons and change classes is nice too.

I did feel that Shadow Dragon really lacked in the storytelling department however. The original was made during simpler times, so that's understandable, but it's hard to actually like a character since most have no personalities to speak of. The support conversation didn't make a return, and neither did base conversations, so it leaves most characters feeling pretty flat.

But like I said, the gameplay is still pretty good, and class changing is definitely an interesting mechanic. Also, the variety of difficulty levels is amazing for someone like me who always loves going for challenges.

Gonna doublepost since I feel that the new info on the upcoming Fire Emblem for the 3DS warrants it

So that looks pretty awesome, huh? Japan will be getting it by April 19th.

First of all, the art definitely got an overhaul from previous Fire Emblem games, but it's not so different that you can't tell that it's Fire Emblem; the distinctive look is still there, but it feels like a new flavor has been added to it. All in all, I love it.

Now there are battle to look into, and the whole two-on-one concept that was teased way back when at E3. Anyway, the first battle shows us one of the units giving what appears to be a buff to who I think is the main hero. Now this is interesting since it might mean that buffs might play a larger role in the game, but for right now, that's all speculation. This does give us a better glimpse into the new battle concept, which is teased multiple times throughout the video.

Now, just a single enemy is in play in each of these, so it really makes me wonder how these will play out. Are two-on-one battles going to benefit only us, or are there going to be instances where the enemy will take advantage of this? I can see that being very painful to players if they're constantly ganged up on, and I can see it being very abusable if the player is able to target enemies with multiple units so freely.

While we're still looking into battles, at around the 1 minute mark, we start to see much more stylized, and over the top battle animations which I'm sure reminds all of us of the GBA Fire Emblem games. Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn did have a few interesting battle animations, and some tomes were pretty cool, but plenty of the animations were dull and were essentially a single, boring slash against an enemy. Over here, battle animations have become more interesting, and even include facial cut-ins of the unit attacking. Since this wasn't shown in previous vids, I'll speculate that this has something to do with a skill since for all of the characters who have facial cut-ins, a small symbol along with some moonrunes are shown on the top left of the screen.

Next, the areas where the battles take place look astounding. The 3D graphics look so much better than the battle areas of the GBA games and Shadow Dragon, and I'd say that these surroundings are at least on par if not better than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. This might just be due to the graphical choice (I remember everything in Radiant Dawn being so dark and gloomy looking) and me being super excited, but still, I can't wait to see these battles in 3D.

And I'm sure that you've noticed that the first couple of enemies don't look like your average Brigand or Soldier; instead, they appear to be monsters. This is interesting, and I hope that these monsters aren't pushovers like they were in Sacred Stones. We've also got a world map just like in Gaiden and Sacred Stones, but I'm pretty sure that we already knew that.

And this is somewhat old news, but for those of you who haven't been following the 3DS thread, this game will be Nintendo's first outing when it comes to paid DLC. Pretty interesting, and I wonder how Nintendo will handle it.

All in all, I am so pumped for this game, and it better be released here. New Mystery not being released still ticks me off since it improved on Shadow Dragon so much by letting people make their own unit and actually adding base conversations to give characters some actual personality, but eh, I'll just have to let that pass. What matters now is that this game look great, and I can't wait for it to hit the US.
    Last edited by Ark; December 29th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.

I personally prefer the World Map over the basic story line, because then there is backtracking and post game content, which is always really enjoyable instead of nothing to do after the game.

The graphics look incredible, and I am happy that the battle sequences don't look boring like with PoR or RD. Although, it will never be as good as FE7 and SS. But the little critical thing does look interesting. I can't wait for the game, and I hope it will have better Wi-Fi possibilities than Shadow Dragon.
    A Moment of Change

The world map is cool and all, but it really wasn't fleshed out at all in Sacred Stones. All it really did was make it so you could easily train weak units and get decent equips, but I think that's really something that should be done in the main story (and I find it more rewarding to do it that way anyway). Then there are skirmishes and since I don't like gaining extra exp outside of the story, it's kind of a waste of time for me.

Besides, the skirmishes weren't even that good since all the monsters dropped dead so easily. (edit: i just realized how silly this sounds since the monsters are pretty much the undead lol)

The postgame content for SS is essentially two trial maps, and you don't need a world map for that.

A question I have about the world map returning would be whether or not we'd have rankings. At the end of certain Fire Emblem games, you'd be ranked based on how well you did, and these rankings can easily be skewed by factors that a world map gives (more turns, higher experienced units, etc.). Sacred Stones didn't have a ranking feature while the previous games in the series did and I feel that the world map was a big reason for this.

The world map is returning, and unless it makes improvements upon what was given to us in Sacred Stones, I can't say that it'd be a feature that I'm particularly enthusiastic about. It's not a flaw, but it's really just a shell of an idea that could actually be put to decent use.
    Last edited by Ark; December 29th, 2011 at 08:22 AM.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Whoa, this game seems to carry an overall different taste from the Fire Emblem standards... the graphic style and choice for art style really do wonders for a game...and those battle animations are cool, yes~

I personally welcome the World Map approach again... To me, it makes the game feel more big and long... regardless of the actual content of the world map...

I do hope that it has things to do, besides shopping of course... did I see an Arena there? Also, if the monsters are back, I do hope they aren't wimpy. Really, the Dracozombies were the only threat in Sacred Stones.

Thread Information