View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheism

    70 22.51%
  • Agnosticism

    44 14.15%
  • Buddhism

    3 0.96%
  • Christianity

    159 51.13%
  • Deism

    5 1.61%
  • Hinduism

    1 0.32%
  • Islam

    7 2.25%
  • Judaism

    6 1.93%
  • Nature religion

    2 0.64%
  • Neopaganism

    1 0.32%
  • Other

    18 5.79%
  • Other monotheism or henotheism

    2 0.64%
  • Other polytheism

    2 0.64%
  • Sikhism

    0 0%
  • Unaffiliated spiritualism

    11 3.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1051

Thread: What's Your Religion?

  1. #1001
    Clobberin Monster DededeMan202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Friday, Nov 12 2010
    Location
    My Room
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    I suppose I'm Christian, but I seem to be leaning more towards Atheism in more recent years... It's hard to say, because I'm open to the idea that there's a God, and I like the idea that religion can provide comfort and help people life reasonable, decent lives, but certain individuals, particularly Christan and Muslim extremists, really seem to give religion such a bad name, and the fact that most of their views on religion are "it's my way or the highway (by which I mean YOU DIE)", it really turns me off.

    And I have to say, I'm more upset about the genuinely GOOD Christians out there who are more understanding, because they have to deal with this &&&& all the time, not just people who keep decrying their faith, but also the people who share the same faith, but go about it in horrible ways that makes the rest of them look bad.

    Either way, it's an uncomfortable topic, even though I do make fun of it and critique it a lot, I feel like I should actually read up on it more, so I can call out the more wild accusations on their BS.

  2. #1002
    It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Saturday, May 15 2010
    Location
    Cast down with the smokers and the children
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Wait, do you mean that because you don't like how some people use and stereotype their own religion, you'd change yours?

    Why?

  3. #1003
    Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    Sub-Terra
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    Either way, it's an uncomfortable topic, even though I do make fun of it and critique it a lot, I feel like I should actually read up on it more, so I can call out the more wild accusations on their BS.
    Well, this is always a noble endeavor. Learning and education are very important after all.

  4. #1004
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Yeah, I'm not ENTIRELY sure as of yet, but I feel more like an atheist now. It's not that I don't believe in a god, but until there's proof, I'm not sure what to believe. I'll get back to you guys if I have an epiphany or something...
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  5. #1005
    Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    Sub-Terra
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306107_10150815941867670_541137669_9721300_5909727 26_n.jpg
    Warning: may be offensive

    Eh, I tend to be cynical about people saying stuff like this. If somebody is religious, they have every right to show it. They have no right to enforce its rules upon you, debate with you when you're not comfortable with such, or whatever else, but I get the feeling some people would rather religious folks never mentioned their faith ever ever never. But again, maybe that's just me being cynical.
    And maybe we should define what does and doesn't count as 'shoving it down someone's throat' before we equate it with paedophilia? You know, as classy as that is.
    Last edited by Eltrotraw; May 6th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

  6. #1006
    Sir Weezy Von Koffington dryuriev7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, May 1 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    60

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    I'm an atheist. A friend of mine from a different forum wrote this up a year or two ago and it's basically how I approach religion:
    Spoiler: ATHEISM~ 
    Radical to the max!

  7. #1007
    THE REDCOATS HAVE ARRIVED (Avatar Summer Festival Week 5) Meta-Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Jan 16 2012
    Posts
    973

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Actually, it's been theorized by some (not saying I'm necesarily endorsing this, though it does make sense) that Heaven, Hell, etc exist "up" or "down" in another dimension.

  8. #1008
    THE REDCOATS HAVE ARRIVED (Avatar Summer Festival Week 5) Meta-Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Jan 16 2012
    Posts
    973

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    Wow, someone has no sense of humor.
    Wow, someone expected a sense of humor in a serious topic.

    This is a serious discussion topic, so if you're just being silly, you'll have to clarify. I thought you were (partially) serious as well.

  9. #1009
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    Wow, someone has no sense of humor.
    Well, this topic isn't a humorous matter. It's a pretty serious discussion...

    Edit: Ninja'd
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  10. #1010
    Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    Sub-Terra
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    Wow, someone has no sense of humor.
    Oh my God, you seriously just pulled that one? Now that does make me laugh.

    Everybody, look close - this is how not to deal with someone disagreeing with you. Humour is subjective, and using it to shame someone else is wrong. Defending yourself by claiming you were 'joking', especially when you are well aware you are posting on a debate thread and therefore opening yourself up to criticism, is just the silliest thing.
    If you can't be serious and reasonable, NQ, I suggest you get the frig out of this board and take your 'humour' with you. Or get it surgically removed, like I did. LOL GEDDIT

  11. #1011
    It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Saturday, May 15 2010
    Location
    Cast down with the smokers and the children
    Posts
    4,330

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by dryuriev7777 View Post
    I'm an atheist. A friend of mine from a different forum wrote this up a year or two ago and it's basically how I approach religion:
    Spoiler: ATHEISM~ 
    Or maybe God is able to ignore physics, or understands it on such a level above our own that he can ignore it.

  12. #1012
    resident asshole cyanide_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, Mar 2 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    783

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Curus View Post
    Eh, I tend to be cynical about people saying stuff like this. If somebody is religious, they have every right to show it. They have no right to enforce its rules upon you, debate with you when you're not comfortable with such, or whatever else, but I get the feeling some people would rather religious folks never mentioned their faith ever ever never. But again, maybe that's just me being cynical.
    And maybe we should define what does and doesn't count as 'shoving it down someone's throat' before we equate it with paedophilia? You know, as classy as that is.
    They have the right to flaunt it, just as everyone else has the right to shun them for doing so.

    It's similar to the whole freedom of speech argument. OK, freedom of speech, you can say these horrible things, I also have the freedom to call you out on them and show how much of a moron you are in front of everyone else. (not drawing a direct comparison to religious opinion before anyone thinks that).

    Personally I'd rather religious people would just shut the hell up about religion forever. I can't make them, but I can call them out on it or just shun them socially if I want to.
    Last edited by cyanide_; May 6th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

    Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

  13. #1013
    THE REDCOATS HAVE ARRIVED (Avatar Summer Festival Week 5) Meta-Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Jan 16 2012
    Posts
    973

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanide_ View Post
    They have the right to flaunt it, just as everyone else has the right to shun them for doing so.
    The way you phrased this made it sound as if people with religions are in the minority. Are you trying to imply something, or was it unintentional?

  14. #1014
    resident asshole cyanide_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, Mar 2 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    783

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Unintentional. Although, in England, people who are particularly vocal about their religion do tend to be in the minority.
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

    Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

  15. #1015
    Sir Weezy Von Koffington dryuriev7777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, May 1 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    60

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Perhaps He could. I think if people want to believe in a higher being then that's great, I just question people having very specific beliefs about God. The point of the rant I copy and pasted is that, for me at least, it's hard to understand how people can call themselves Christian or Jewish or what have you and follow a doctrine that specifically outlines what God is and how He should be interpreted without anything beyond faith. I guess I'm curious as to why somebody would choose Christianity over Islam or even why somebody would choose Catholicism over Protestantism. What is it about a particular faith that stands out to people as being better or most likely to be true when compared to others? How can people be so sure that God likes these things and doesn't like these other things and still say that God works in mysterious ways?

    This is why I reject religion. When I was younger and I did some research about different religions and seeing if there's one that would fit me, I found that I can't convey to anyone why I would think a particular religion is best beyond having faith or just saying that it fits me. Even if I don't believe in it I'll support people who believe there is some sort of higher power out there somewhere, but I'll always just have a hard time with religion trying to define for people who and what God is and what He stands for.

    Edit: WHOOPS this was in response to Eruedraith
    Radical to the max!

  16. #1016
    Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Mar 1 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by dryuriev7777 View Post
    Perhaps He could. I think if people want to believe in a higher being then that's great, I just question people having very specific beliefs about God. The point of the rant I copy and pasted is that, for me at least, it's hard to understand how people can call themselves Christian or Jewish or what have you and follow a doctrine that specifically outlines what God is and how He should be interpreted without anything beyond faith. I guess I'm curious as to why somebody would choose Christianity over Islam or even why somebody would choose Catholicism over Protestantism. What is it about a particular faith that stands out to people as being better or most likely to be true when compared to others? How can people be so sure that God likes these things and doesn't like these other things and still say that God works in mysterious ways?

    This is why I reject religion. When I was younger and I did some research about different religions and seeing if there's one that would fit me, I found that I can't convey to anyone why I would think a particular religion is best beyond having faith or just saying that it fits me. Even if I don't believe in it I'll support people who believe there is some sort of higher power out there somewhere, but I'll always just have a hard time with religion trying to define for people who and what God is and what He stands for.

    Edit: WHOOPS this was in response to Eruedraith
    I consider myself an agnostic christian.

    Christianity is the religion I grew up with (though I have moved around a fair amount within the religion), so I have a bias towards it, but I also choose Christianity because in Christianity God took a truly selfless action towards mankind, dying for our sins, and I choose it because I like its teachings.

    I don't actually know at all what is true and what isn't with regard to religion, so I just go with the religion that I hope is true. I chalk up a lot of qualities about God (other than major things) to being stuff I just don't know at all.

    The one thing I'm confident about is that God is benevolent, but I don't have a logical reason for it. I'm just an optimistic person, so the idea that God is good and that everything will turn out all right in the end comes naturally to me.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2


  17. #1017
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    If it wasn't for the bible, I might still believe in God, but I disagree with almost the whole thing. The main things that strike me as preposterous are that he created people and such, that he killed most of the world in Noah's time, and that Jesus cured blindness. Let's go with the giant flood, shall we? Why would he murder almost all of his creations just to prove a point? It seems very "sinful" to me.
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  18. #1018
    THE REDCOATS HAVE ARRIVED (Avatar Summer Festival Week 5) Meta-Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Jan 16 2012
    Posts
    973

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
    If it wasn't for the bible, I might still believe in God, but I disagree with almost the whole thing. The main things that strike me as preposterous are that he created people and such, that he killed most of the world in Noah's time, and that Jesus cured blindness. Let's go with the giant flood, shall we? Why would he murder almost all of his creations just to prove a point? It seems very "sinful" to me.
    Ever heard of "divine retribution?"

    And evidently, you just want a "God" who has no power and just sits on his metaphysical behind - not a god at all. Indeed, your healing sight example proves my point. You're basically saying: "well god can't exist... because people can't cure blindness," which is a logical fallacy to begin with since God is beyond personality/impersonality.

  19. #1019
    Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Mar 1 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
    If it wasn't for the bible, I might still believe in God, but I disagree with almost the whole thing. The main things that strike me as preposterous are that he created people and such, that he killed most of the world in Noah's time, and that Jesus cured blindness. Let's go with the giant flood, shall we? Why would he murder almost all of his creations just to prove a point? It seems very "sinful" to me.
    You act like you need to believe in biblical inerrancy (and literalism on top of that) in order to believe in God. That's a huge stretch. Those aren't even necessary to be a Christian.

    Not all Christians view the bible as both inerrant and literal, and there are many faiths (as in, everything other than Christianity and in the case of the OT, Judaism) that don't follow the Bible.

    I'm curious though what your problem is with Jesus curing blindness, why is that miracle unbelievable if you're okay with the other miraculous things he did?
    Last edited by Superninfreak; May 6th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2


  20. #1020
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Mind View Post
    Ever heard of "divine retribution?"

    And evidently, you just want a "God" who has no power and just sits on his metaphysical behind - not a god at all. Indeed, your healing sight example proves my point. You're basically saying: "well god can't exist... because people can't cure blindness," which is a logical fallacy to begin with since God is beyond personality/impersonality.
    Honestly, i feel that if God didn't want to seem lazy then he would help people instead of drowning people. He could have made the atmosphere less strong so global warming wouldn't be an issue, or help the starving people all over the world. I feel that the only people who will do this is us. Religion, in my opinion is a way to keep people on the right path, to tell us to do good things or go to hell. Us humans, shouldn't need to rely on something like this, we should know the difference between right and wrong without having to be threatened with eternal suffering.
    Sorry if I'm sounding arrogant, but this is my personal opinion, and I don't want anyone to think that I dislike religious people because I disagree with their beliefs. Most of my friends and family are Catholics, and they know that I respect that. They do know not to talk about religion to me, though, as I do question their beliefs if they say something I completely disagree with. I hope you see my point.
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  21. #1021
    THE REDCOATS HAVE ARRIVED (Avatar Summer Festival Week 5) Meta-Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Jan 16 2012
    Posts
    973

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
    Honestly, i feel that if God didn't want to seem lazy then he would help people instead of drowning people. He could have made the atmosphere less strong so global warming wouldn't be an issue, or help the starving people all over the world. I feel that the only people who will do this is us. Religion, in my opinion is a way to keep people on the right path, to tell us to do good things or go to hell. Us humans, shouldn't need to rely on something like this, we should know the difference between right and wrong without having to be threatened with eternal suffering.
    Sorry if I'm sounding arrogant, but this is my personal opinion, and I don't want anyone to think that I dislike religious people because I disagree with their beliefs. Most of my friends and family are Catholics, and they know that I respect that. They do know not to talk about religion to me, though, as I do question their beliefs if they say something I completely disagree with. I hope you see my point.
    So you barely adressed the points I raised, instead going with the cliched "how could a loving God..." argument? Interesting.

  22. #1022
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Mind View Post
    So you barely adressed the points I raised, instead going with the cliched "how could a loving God..." argument? Interesting.
    I feel that that argument is overused, and, as you said, cliched. I addressed all of the points that I felt I had a leg to stand on, the rest, I must admit, you've beat me...
    Last edited by PizzaGuy; May 6th, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: The dreaded double-Comma!
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  23. #1023
    Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Mar 1 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    I still think you were oversimplifying things, by implying that you need to believe in biblical inerrancy and literalism in order to believe in God.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2


  24. #1024
    Consistent In My Inconsistency PizzaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Dec 9 2010
    Location
    Probably on some form of hiatus from the forums. Let's hope it's not a long one.
    Posts
    349

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    I've been brought up with a catholic family, however, we weren't exactly die-hard Catholics as we only ever went to church when we had to. I don't know too much about religion, so I base most of my reason to be an atheist on the bible, as that's what my school's taught me, etc. Everything that I do know about Christianity is pretty much from the bible.
    Spoiler: Quotes or something 

    Wut


    A blast from the past!

  25. #1025
    Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Mar 1 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,666

    Re: What's Your Religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
    I've been brought up with a catholic family, however, we weren't exactly die-hard Catholics as we only ever went to church when we had to. I don't know too much about religion, so I base most of my reason to be an atheist on the bible, as that's what my school's taught me, etc. Everything that I do know about Christianity is pretty much from the bible.
    I'm just pointing out that rejecting a literal interpretation of the Bible isn't the same as rejecting a deity in any form.

    Christianity is a very diverse faith, and beliefs about God are even more diverse. It's hasty to reject all those schools of thought because you dislike one interpretation of one religion.

    It should also be noted that even Catholicism doesn't believe the entire bible is literal (since they believe in Theistic Evolution).
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •