Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime/Manga Thread

Never forget your Dwarven Vows Forum Veteran Mkan's Avatar

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood atm and I'm on episode 21.

I'd say it's just as good the second time through so far, and you pick up a lot of things you didn't notice the first time through.

I could use suggestions though for something new to watch. Anybody have any ideas?
    by JSG

My body's falling. I think I've hit the floor. I cannot feel, anything, anymore. Homesick's Avatar

Well I would say if you haven't already, watch Bleach. I really love that show, watch it every time I get the chance.

I still haven't watched FAB, and I don't know why. Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Walk away from anything or anyone who takes away from your joy. Life is too short to put up with fools.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Answer: Yes.

It's in my top ten stories list, honestly. It also has a much better plot than any other shonen I've ever seen.

I really like cookies SirSprinkles's Avatar

Catching up on nichijou after not watching it for like, 10 episodes

Binge watching is the best

My body's falling. I think I've hit the floor. I cannot feel, anything, anymore. Homesick's Avatar

Ok Eruedraith thanks. Guess I'll have to start watching it then. Just wasn't sure if it was all it was cracked-up to be.

Walk away from anything or anyone who takes away from your joy. Life is too short to put up with fools.

Achtung, baby! Today, we play it my way! Forum Veteran Ark's Avatar

I could never get into Bleach; the pacing was simply terribad. I mean, at least Dragon Ball Z has mindless punching in between all of the filler (which might as well make up 99% of Bleach).

I haven't picked up the initiative to watch something new, so I decided to go back and watch Gundam Wing. Also, I bought a Zoids model kit on a whim a week or two back, and decided that I might as well watch Zoids: Chaotic Century Zero for the sake of nostalgia. Eh, I should watch something new, or at least something that doesn't have anything to do with mechas. :P

Hrm, AnoHana and Summer Wars are just sitting there, waiting for me to watch them. A couple clips for Summer Wars have been reminding me of Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    Hrm, AnoHana and Summer Wars are just sitting there, waiting for me to watch them. A couple clips for Summer Wars have been reminding me of Digimon Adventure: Our War Game! so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.
    But you should definitely watch AnoHana first. It's probably shorter than Summer Wars anyways. Unless Summer Wars is less than 11 episodes.

Also goddangit Naruto (anime) what is it with you and having an entire season of filler at a time. GODDANGIT NARUTO.

Also Penguindrum's latest episode was pretty amazing. Super Frog saves everything.

And I just discovered that penguins #1, #2 and #3 are voiced by Kanba, Shouma, and Himari, respectively. Their personalities also match up; #1 is usually the leader and glares a lot, #2 is derpy and does a lot of housework, and Threesie is girly (bow in hair/feathers/whatever).
    And Sanetoshi is a complete creeper (guy with pink hair in the opening).

My friend gave me season 1 of Shugo Chara, and somehow I got through all 51 episodes over 1 weekend. But it really is a very good series~
    My Chandelure is following you... (O++O)

Do you like TheiDOLM@STER? My friend has started a petition to try and get TheiDOLM@STER 2 and American Release for the PS3. Any signatures would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to help us out, please find the URL below.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/projectidoleng

Banned

I never understood the relavence behind the name Bleach. Is it symbolic for pale or light or something? I never had interest in it because fighting and old men but I was always curous about the name.

Self-proclaimed Seer of Hope. Nix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbster View Post
    I never understood the relavence behind the name Bleach. Is it symbolic for pale or light or something? I never had interest in it because fighting and old men but I was always curous about the name.
    Um, I'm not very far in it, but I find no relation to the story or anything ever mentioned, and the name Bleach.
    I have no idea why they would name a show Bleach, anyway, though.

League of Legends: SilverEphraim
    Recently playing a lot of ADC.

Any and all artwork credited to the original artist.

It apparently has to do with
    Ichigo's Hollow-self or whatever
    , I think, but I never managed to get that far either.

Self-proclaimed Seer of Hope. Nix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    It apparently has to do with
    Ichigo's Hollow-self or whatever
    , I think, but I never managed to get that far either.
    So, they named a series after something that happens 25+ episodes in?
    Not even sure how many manga chapters that would be.. but wow, that's rather far ahead.
    I'm assuming that it's gonna happen close to where I am, since Ichigo
    Very nearly turned into a Hollow while trying to become a Death God again
    and that's bound to come up with consequences soon, but I could be wrong. I am a lot with anime like this..

League of Legends: SilverEphraim
    Recently playing a lot of ADC.

Any and all artwork credited to the original artist.

Keep in mind that we don't get to find out why Naruto is named Naruto until around chapter 420-430 of the manga (the episode is somewhere between Shippuuden 170 and 190, IIRC). Heck, the name "Lucky Star" actually has nothing to do with the series.
    Anime/manga titles often don't have much to do with their characters and plots. From my experience, when the title has something to do with the plot or a character, it's either so obvious that you can tell from reading the first chapter (Neko Ramen, .hack//G.U.+, Prince of Tennis, etc.) or you don't find out for a REALLY long time (Naruto, I suppose Bleach).

Creative mind at rest. Animaster's Avatar

Another good example of Anime/Manga theme naming comes with Yotsuba, which literally means "four leaf". Hence Yotsuba's hairstyle/color. Azumanga Daioh comes from Azuma(the author), manga(meaning "comics") and Dengeki Daioh(the magazine/whatever it was initially published in). Most mangas, though tend to opt more for the word salad title approach(most, but not all, slice of live mangas tend to do this).
    My art thread should be up and running. Be sure to stop by and comment.
    I like animals, but especially cats.  I should probably change my sig, though.  Eh, I'll do it later.
    NNID- Animaster
    My 3DS Friend Code: 3007-8121-5204
    Dream Suite: It's different now. I'll update it about a century from now.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbster View Post
    The entire series deals heavily with death (or at least it was supposed to before it became SWORDS SWORDS SWORDS - not that there's anything wrong with that...). Now in Western Culture, we often associate death and the like with the color black, but it's reversed in the Eastern World, due to bones being white. Bleach was initially going to be named White, but Kubo thought it was too dark of a name (ironic, ain't it?) and so gave the manga the name 'Bleach' keeping the idea of whiteness, while adding a taste of mysteriousness and vaguery.
    Last edited by Eruedraith; September 15th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detta View Post
    Unless Summer Wars is less than 11 episodes.
    Summer Wars is a movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Bleach was initially going to be named White, but Kubo thought it was too dark of a name (ironic, ain't it?) and so gave the manga the name 'Bleach' keeping the idea of whiteness, while adding a taste of mysteriousness and vaguery.
    I was under the impression that it was just good old engrish, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was absolutely beautiful. The story was amazing, and one of the few shows I've seen that actually brings back something from an episode from a previous season and actually made it relevant to the plot. Not only that, but it was the plot.

Brotherhood is something I could easily see myself watching again sometime.
    I agree with you about Brotherhood. I know some people argue about which Fullmetal Alchemist season is better or whatever, but I think that is definitely possible to enjoy both of them in their own way.

I feel like you hit the nail on the head with what you said about plot. I think Brotherhood's plot is definitely one of its strong suits. Plus, Alphonse does some pretty significant stuff though your mileage may vary on whether that is an improvement or not.

(Similar shows being Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh which don't really have any male characters at all.)
    Well, Lucky Star does have Sebastian/Minoru Shiraishi play a major role I guess, but yep. You could say that K-On! is even worse in this regard since it takes place in an all-girls school, but I think that it is more different than better or worse than Nichijou.

As for the rest of your post, I have never been to an anime convention, so I think it would be interesting if you could tell a bit more about your experiences at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkan View Post
    I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood atm and I'm on episode 21.

I'd say it's just as good the second time through so far, and you pick up a lot of things you didn't notice the first time through.

I could use suggestions though for something new to watch. Anybody have any ideas?
    I am not an expert on anime, so this recommendation might not be the best one, but you might like Buso Renkin since it is a relatively short (26 episode), action-packed show, with a very idealistic main character. It also has some alchemy in it, but nothing like that found in Fullmetal Alchemist. Since it is on Hulu, you can also try it out to see if it is your kind of show or not.

For great street justice! bluesoul's Avatar
    In an icy cave in the middle of Antarctica.

Been reading trigun: maximum at school, but I don't think that they have nearly all of them. Right now I'm about to check out volume 5 soon.

Honestly I prefer the anime to the manga when it comes to Trigun.

I just don't like the massive-shouldered type guys you get in the manga, and everything is spelled out for you, rather than allowing you to figure it out yourself, which I rather enjoy.

*watches Nichijou episode 25*
    *gets to end of episode*
    *Nano's screw says the next one is the final episode*
    WAIT WHAT.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hopefully KyoAni will have another similar series out soon.

Cute Little Poot HandsOffMyBread's Avatar

Netflix has plenty of anime to watch for hours on end. I've seen Death Note, FMA +Brotherhood, Angel Beats (Finished that entire series in one night XD), Baka to Test, and Soul Eater. Also, does anyone think I should check out Kase no Stigma?
    Hard work pays off in the future, but laziness pays off right now.

Villager is going to be Top Tier Piemaster's Avatar

So I have finished watching a little anime called Toaru Majutsu No Index, which I find to be a very good anime.
    I am now watching the second season, Toaru Majutsu No Index II.
    Spoiler: Open me! :D 
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Piemaster View Post
    So I have finished watching a little anime called Toaru Majutsu No Index, which I find to be a very good anime.
    I am now watching the second season, Toaru Majutsu No Index II.
    Eh, Index. To me, it seemed to have a lot of potential, but fell flat in its face for being generic harem with loser protagonist. And there's also the fact that Index herself turns into an extra after the first arc. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, were the anime not named after her.

I found Railgun to be more enjoyable, though it also got pretty meh when the plot kicked in at the end.

I don't know why I'm saying this.

Anyway! I just ran across this while browsing /u/. So, what are you people (who bother watching new anime) going to watch? I still have to finish some of this season's stuff, but for me, it's going to be:

- Persona 4
    - Ika Musume
    - Fate/zero (yaaaay)
    - Working', after I watch the first season
    - Tamayura hitotose
    - Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
    - Mira Nikki (yaaaay)
    - Ben-To
    - and the Deadman Wonderland OVA.

Not a whole lot of this interests me, sadly...
    Ones that I'm definitely going to watch:
    Shakugan no Shana III (gotta finish II first though)
    Prince of Tennis: Eikokushiki Teikyuu Shiro Kessen! (always been a Prince of Tennis fan)
    Ones that I'm interested in:
    Tamayura ~hitose~ (just sounds kinda interesting)
    Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (romantic comedy, therefore taking a look at it)
    Mirai Nikki (sounds pretty cool, kinda similar to Death Note)

Looks like Penguindrum will still be going since it's only got 10 of it's 24 episodes out.
    Then there's Naruto and its ridiculous number of filler episodes.

Although I did some studio wiki-snooping and found Hanasaku Iroha (same studio as Angel Beats) and I'll probably be looking into that. The last episode (26th) comes out this Saturday, apparently.

Although I did some studio wiki-snooping and found Hanasaku Iroha (same studio as Angel Beats) and I'll probably be looking into that. The last episode (26th) comes out this Saturday, apparently.
    Be warned that it's nothing like Angel Beats, being slice-of-life. It's still good, though it got a little sidetracked with the plot until a couple of episodes ago.

And I just remembered that I was going to look into Penguindrum as well. Hm.

Thread Information