Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime/Manga Thread

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

I found The Sacred Blacksmith on netflix streaming on my wii and I was like 'oh, looks medieval, alright.' and when I watched the first 2 episodes, I was like 'DAMN this is awesome!' because not only is it set in medieval times, my favorite era for things, had a female lead which I thought was a bit of a different thing from all the other ones I watched, but the lead male character, Jake, made a sword OUT OF A ROCK AND A HANDLE. I was like 'He's like Quilace! a slightly jerky guy who fights for what's right and makes swords out of thin air almost!' and I loved watching it. I'm probably going to watch more tomorrow, since it's 11:00 at night here... The only bad thing is that it's dubbed, but I think the voices suit the characters. At least the intro is in Japanese. Also I can pretty much tell it's drawn by a woman since the main lead is a female. It's still good so far, though.
    Last edited by Ario; July 21st, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    I'm back, baby.

This account is so outdated...wow... Crabmaster's Avatar

So, Trigun ended, and it seems I have run out of Animes for now that me and my brother can watch together.

Hmmm, that was only my 5th Anime, darn it!!

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Quote Originally Posted by Ario View Post
    Also I can pretty much tell it's drawn by a woman since the main lead is a female. It's still good so far, though.
    Way to reinforce sexual stereotypes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Way to reinforce sexual stereotypes there.
    well, it's just my way of thinking. I checked and it seems it isn't, though. ah well. it also seems it's only 12 episodes... unusual to me.
    I'm back, baby.

Things like that make me sick. Chiffon's Avatar

- Started watching Idolmaster. It's pretty good so far! Not much to say, though.
    - Started watching MM!. It's also pretty good so far. I like how every single character has a personality quirk.
    - Started watching No. 6. So many yaoi undertones.
    - Watched the Read or Die OVAs. Yomiko might be the best character ever.
    - Started watching Yuru Yuri. It's so adorable. Also, delicious yuri undertones. (Chitose is the best)

- Started reading Girl Friends... got to chapter 6 so far. It's slow, but I have hope.

Planning on starting Nanoha once the next season starts, too.

EDIT:
    - Madoka's soundtrack is amazing. Well, of course, it was composed by Yuki Kaijura... anyway, it's being released in parts alongside the BDs. If you enjoyed Madoka, I highly reccomend it. If not, I reccomend it anyway. And watch Madoka too while you're at it. Thinking about it more deeply has made me realize that it's the best anything I've ever seen. I'm not joking.
    Last edited by Chiffon; July 26th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar

Well, I've recently restarted reading Bleach.

At some point, Kubo learned how to pace well and remembered how to write a good twist.

I like.

when we decline from the confines of our mind

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Well, I've recently restarted reading Bleach.
    And I've just started watching it, since it's on Netflix~!
    Although I'll probably start reading it anyway, since I tend to prefer manga to anime.
    But I like it a lot either way~

Oh, and I finally finished Death Note. In my opinion, it got a bit boring after the timeskip, but it was still an interesting story and my least favorite character died, so~
    Ohba's fantastic at storytelling, what with all the fun little details that actually matter and the big mastermind plots he had to create and then beat~
    Spoiler: How Unorganized 

Ah, /u/ caused me to start watching two other things that are airing this season... and they're not even yuri-related.

Kami-sama no Memo-chou is about a little girl who is a detective while being a hikkikomori. It's... ehhhhhhhh. I'm not sure what to think of it, but it's interesting I guess...?

Usagi Drop is about a guy who starts to take care of his 6-year old aunt because his grandfather died and she was his daughter and everyone else in his family are jerkasses and don't want to take care of her. It's really heartwarming.

Also... am I the only one who watches currently airing stuff? And who also posts in this thread semi-frequently?

No I am! I love those! <3
    Although I feel like I should post in this topic more.

Usagi Drop is so cute, it even stirred paternal instincts into the people at 2ch but that was more funny than anything.
    For this season I'm also watching Mawaru Penguindrum, third season of Natsume Yuujinchou, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Nichijou, TIGER&BUNNY, The Idolm@ster, and Yuru Yuri.

A good laugh is sunshine in the house.

Nah, lately I've been taking a quick scan over new seasons and watching things as they air myself. Bunny Drop, Natsume Yuujinchou, Tiger & Bunny, and nominally Blue Exorcist and Hanasaku Iroha although I'm kind of behind on those at the moment. Been meaning to take a look at Steins;Gate and Mawaru Penguindrum, since I've heard they're good (and time travel and penguins, what's not to love?), but I'm already watching a fair bit as it is. It's kind of pleasant to watch episodes weekly as they come out instead of all at once long after they've aired.

I just...don't tend to talk about anime much, I guess.

Ohhhh myyy gooodddd I just watched episodes 3 and 4 of Usagi Drop and it's sooo adorableeee. I guess part of why I'm liking it is because it's pretty much the same as a concept I was thinking about the other day, which I thought would be nice to watch (single parent raising a little girl).

Quote Originally Posted by Noka
    it even stirred paternal instincts into the people at 2ch but that was more funny than anything.
    Hey >:|

And I keep forgetting that Steins;gate is a thing... probably because I think of it primarily as a visual novel. Guess I'll pick it up next season or something... though I'm already planning on watching Nanoha then, and that's three seasons of things. Hm.

For great street justice! bluesoul's Avatar
    In an icy cave in the middle of Antarctica.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabmaster View Post
    So, Trigun ended, and it seems I have run out of Animes for now that me and my brother can watch together.

Hmmm, that was only my 5th Anime, darn it!!
    you can always try watching cowboy bebop if you haven't. Or, if you're into psychological mystery, you can try higurashi.

Just finished reading Girl Friends. It was really sweet... and I didn't think that the angst was particularly bad, either. Though this is probably because I'm comparing it to the trainwreck that was Sasameki Koto's fifth volume...

In any case, it's one of the more famous yuri manga, so if you like yuri and haven't read it yet, do it! (but of course, I'm the only yuri fan here... sob)

On another note, yaoi undertones in No. 6 asdaskhdbhkasdas.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    (but of course, I'm the only yuri fan here... sob)
    No it's okay you aren't actually!

... uh

SO I'm still going at my horribly slow pace watching Trigun and Soul Eater, and I also got a few manga around here including a big fat Magic Knight Rayearth omnibus. I dunno it felt like something you had to read, then I was also thinking of watching/reading other magical girl shows and then watching Madoka right after to make it all crumble into dust. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynawing View Post
    and then watching Madoka right after to make it all crumble into dust.

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

I should post here more often too...
    I did a binge of Toradora! a few weeks ago, finished all 25 episodes in 2 days.
    I was GOING to watch Shakugan no Shana, but I had to wait a while to start on it. I started wiki-ing seiyuu and somehow started watching Ore no Imouto, and finished it in two days. Why I'm stuck in a romantic comedy loop I may never know...
    Then I started on Shakugan no Shana. It's pretty good so far.
    I still have to finish Sasameki Koto... I don't know why I keep forgetting about it.

Nichijou is still awesome. The full version of the opening finally came out, and I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop.

Also, for anyone who's watched Angel Beats and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, imagine Yuzuru screaming "I'M IN DESPAIR". Seiyuu joke.

I really like this manga called 'I am Here!' I don't think it's vary famous though. It's about a girl who is pratically invisable to every one. She doesn't stand out, she's just an average Joe, nothing special. Because of this, she has no friends except for two online friends who comment on her picture blog. One day, a boy does notice her, and whether she likes it or not, he changed her life forever.

I also like the Zelda manga *shot* LOL. ALTTP one was my favourite.
    Time Won't Ever Steal My Soul,
    We're Not Broken, So Please Come Home
    And If The World Has Worn You Down,
    I'll Be Waiting, So Please Come Home

Quote Originally Posted by Linklandco View Post
    I really like this manga called 'I am Here!' I don't think it's vary famous though. It's about a girl who is pratically invisable to every one. She doesn't stand out, she's just an average Joe, nothing special. Because of this, she has no friends except for two online friends who comment on her picture blog. One day, a boy does notice her, and whether she likes it or not, he changed her life forever.
    I saw that at a Borders a few days before it closed. I was really considering getting it, but I was looking around at other manga when some random girl came by and picked up the only copy.
    I wonder if there's an anime version of it...
    EDIT: Dang, there isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Linklandco View Post
    I also like the Zelda manga *shot* LOL. ALTTP one was my favourite.
    You're not the only one, no worries!

As much hate as I'll probably get for this, though, my favorite was Oracle of Seasons.

Hm, I haven't really watched anything recently. I need suggestions. I'll watch pretty much anything aside from the typical shonen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, etc.

And for reference, here's a list of things I've already seen:
    Spoiler: List o' Stuff 

Hm... Going off of the fact that Higurashi and Umikeno are on that list, Baccano might be a good series for you. It's sort of a murder-mystery anime set in the early 1900s (most main characters are in the mafia). I've only watched 3 or 4 episodes of it though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerkec View Post
    Hm, I haven't really watched anything recently. I need suggestions. I'll watch pretty much anything aside from the typical shonen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, etc.
    Reccomendations, hm? Let's see...

Baccano: Well, how do I begin... Baccano is about a lot of stories happening in different times, while being told simultaneously, though the anime mostly focuses on various groups robbing the same train for different reasons and the result going horribly wrong. It manages to mix comedy with seriousness really well.
    Bakemonogatari: It's about Koyomi Arararagi, a normal student, except not really because he was turned into a vampire during summer vacation. He managed to turn back into a normal human, but he's still 1/10 vampire and that apparently makes him attract people with weird supernatural problems, which he tries to solve because he's a nice guy. It's better than it sounds, really.
    As a fun fact, it has absolutely no extras. The only characters that ever appear are the main ones.
    Hanamaru Youchien: It's about little girls in a kindergarten and their teachers. Extremely adorable. Has a really stupid non-ending though.
    K-ON: If you liked Lucky Star, I think you'll like this too, since it's pretty much basic slice-of-life.
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica: OF COURSE I'M GOING TO RECCOMEND THE BEST THING EVER
    Madoka is a normal student, but her life changes a little when she's approached by a cute cat-like thing called Kyuubey, who says he'll grant a wish of hers, but in return, she has to become a magical girl and fight the evil witches. However, another magical girl, Homura, seems to not want Madoka to make this contract...
    ...and saying anything else would already be a spoiler. Seriously, watch this if you like excellent stories with lots of crazy twists. But be careful, because it can get really depressing at times. AND MAKE SURE TO NOT SPOIL YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WATCH IT. (the Wikipedia page has spoilers, by the way)

Also, if you end up liking Hanamaru Youchien, watch Usagi Drop, which is airing right now. It has a more serious tone, but is equally heartwarming.

tl;dr:
    If you like 1930s train robberies, Baccano
    If you like supernatural problem-solving and Shaft, Bakemonogatari
    If you like little kids being adorable, Hanamaru Youchien
    If you would like a more serious Hanamaru Youchien, Usagi Drop
    If you like slice-of-life, K-ON
    If you like a good story, Madoka Magica
    Also, I forgot to mention it, but if you like comedy, Nichijou
    Last edited by Chiffon; August 8th, 2011 at 01:03 PM.

"I want nothing to say to you" Koop's Avatar

Addition:
    If you like Shaft being trippy as &&&&: Madoka Magica
    kthx.
    http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=234&dateline=12993600  54
    artwork by Koop (ps: Me!)

For great street justice! bluesoul's Avatar
    In an icy cave in the middle of Antarctica.

I've been watching kerorgunso for a while now on youtube..... most random anime ever conceived. It's basically about 5 frog aliens who are supposed to take over earth, but just screw around most of the time.

Apparently all manga is 40% off at Borders now, so if you were looking to get a bunch of manga, now would be the time.
    I'll edit this post or (if others have already been made) make a new one listing all the stuff I get, since I'm going as soon as I finish all my homework (2-3 hours).

Thread Information