Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Israeli Apartheid Week: educate yourself

To vex the world rather than divert it. Villerar's Avatar

Re: Israeli Apartheid Week: educate yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14417604

"Israel has carried out a second night of air strikes against targets in the Gaza Strip.

Palestinians say one of the targets was a training facility for the military wing of Hamas, and smuggling tunnels along the Egypt border were hit.

Medical sources say five people were injured in the attacks."

In response to Palestinian missile attacks, in response to, in response to, in response to...

Ad infinitum?

Another Avaaz petition for an independent Palestine here:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/independence...stine_en/?copy

This one is actually close to getting one million signs so consider signing it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15056141

Palestine has requested UN membership. The US have committed themselves to bar Palestinian membership with a veto, showing that the Democratic administration is just marginally better than the Republican (and worse than my government that is supported by a wingnut party that thinks Palestine is Jordan).

Plus another Avaaz link: http://www.avaaz.org/en/urgent_18_ho...alestine/?copy

And an article on popular opinion in various countries:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...-says-1.384015

When the application is hampered due to the veto, the Palestinian Authority will have observer status, which does grant them some additional rights.
    Last edited by Villerar; September 26th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.

I like big bumps and I cannot lie

This article by the BBC is rather good. The title is a bit strange but it shows well how malicious red tape is employed to increase settlements and dispossess Palestinians. The pettiness of the IDF and the settlers in this case is really baffling. On top of all that, the steadfastness of the Palestinian Christian family is very inspiring. If you know little about the politics in the background (and I'm also a punter on this), this still makes a crucial point in a way to which you should be able to relate.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Good article, it manages to integrate the multiple levels of the conflict rather well and made a number of things much clearer. I agree that the "both sides" rhetoric doesn't fly (unlike what I wrote earlier in this topic).

Solutions are only possible when the settler movement loses its influence in government.

Appalling news. The three missing Israeli teenagers have been found: dead in a pit. There simply are no excuses for horrible acts like this.

But neither are there any excuses for cynical exploitation of such tragedies. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has decreed that Hamas is responsible, supported by the Israeli intelligence agency. Hamas however has denied that they were involved. The Israeli response can best be described as grossly excessive: over 400 Palestinians have been arrested (and Israel's administrative detention of Palestinians means that they can be held in jail indefinitely) and 5 have been killed in fighting.

Should anybody be tempted to find Bibi highly credible, I'd like to temper such eagerness. First, it is in his interest to blame this act on Hamas in order to sabotage the Palestinian unity government of Fatah and Hamas. Netanyahu prefers discord between the two parties as that weakens the Palestian Territories - all to his advantage, because he seeks to derail the peace process after some Palestinian successes on the international stage. Second, it's open secret that Netanyahu is an atrocious liar. Even a right-wing head of state like the former French president Sarkozy was clear about that in private. He would have no scruples deliberately making this claim when it's false.

So we don't know who are actually behind this, but my guess is that some Hamas members did it on their own initiative. Hamas itself then wouldn't have been involved.

The three Israeli teenagers who were abducted earlier this month in the West Bank have been found dead.

An Israeli military spokesman said their bodies were found in a pit near the town of Halhul, north of Hebron.

Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Shaar, both aged 16, and 19-year-old Eyal Yifrach were last seen at a junction near Hebron as they hitchhiked home.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Hamas was responsible, a claim the Palestinian militant group has denied.

At the start of a meeting of the Israeli security cabinet, Mr Netanyahu said the three were "kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by animals" and promised: "Hamas will pay".

But Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told the AFP news agency that any action to punish the movement would "open the gates of hell".

Israel's Shin Bet security service earlier said the main suspects in the case were two men named Marwan Qawasmeh and Amer Abu Aisheh and that they were "Hamas operatives".
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28097164

Israeli officials accuse the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas of killing the young Israelis. There are now calls for the group to be "eradicated".

These deaths are a tragedy for the families of the Israeli students, but they could also have deep political implications.

Reciprocal logic: the idea that an action is validated by being in return for another action. In the case of reprisals, this is known as tit-for-tat.

Israeli leaders have appealed for calm after the discovery of a kidnapped Palestinian teenager's body sparked clashes in East Jerusalem.

Mohammed Abu Khdair, 17, was seen being forced into a car early on Wednesday.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the "despicable murder" and the mayor of Jerusalem urged restraint.

Palestinian leaders said they held Israel responsible for the killing, amid claims it was in revenge for the murder of three Israeli teenagers.

Agence France-Presse quoted the militant group Hamas as telling Israeli leaders: "Our people will not let this crime pass... You will pay the price for these crimes."
    We do not know that the motive for the murder is, but given the circumstances a revenge killing seems eminently likely.

The tit-for-tat that we do know is that the Palestinians hold the Israeli government responsible. Well, at least they don't claim the Israeli government were involved in carrying it out (which would beggar belief anyway):

Mr Netanyahu said he had ordered police to work "as quickly as possible to find out who was behind the heinous murder of the youth" and called on both sides "not to take the law into their own hands".

"Israel is a law-abiding state and everyone is obliged to act according to it," he said.

Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat also denounced the murder, urging all to "exercise restraint".

"This is a horrible and barbaric act which I strongly condemn," he said.

Israeli Internal Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch urged patience as the investigation was carried out.

The family of one of the three murdered Israeli teenagers also issued a statement condemning the latest killing.

"If the Arab youth was murdered because of nationalistic motives then this is a horrible and horrendous act," the statement from the family of Naftali Frenkel said.

"There is no difference between Arab blood and Jewish blood. Murder is murder. There is no forgiveness or justification for any murder."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said in a statement: "I demand the Israeli government punish the killers if it wants peace between the Palestinian and Israeli people".

Mr Abbas's spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeina, said in a separate statement that Israel was "fully responsible for the killing of the teenager".

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/29/5949289...etanyahu-phone

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world...nly_seems.html

This is pretty ridiculous.

Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu had a phone call, and Israel's Channel 1 news network released a "transcript".

It looks like it was completely fabricated. The transcript basically seems to write Obama as a caricature of what Israeli conservatives think of him as. And it tries to pass off Netanyahu as the only sane person in the call.

The White House and Netanyahu's office are both claiming that the transcript is fake. Although I'm wondering how the news network got its hands on the transcript. I also think Channel 1 is publicly owned by Israel, but I'm not really sure.
    Last edited by Superninfreak; July 29th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

So the Brazilian government also called Israel out the other day, but their response was, well...

It might be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in recent times. Particularly the "well you lost in the world cup 7-1 so no you" part, which is something that I'd expect to see in an internet flame war, not here. Just what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
    So the Brazilian government also called Israel out the other day, but their response was, well...

It might be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in recent times. Particularly the "well you lost in the world cup 7-1 so no you" part, which is something that I'd expect to see in an internet flame war, not here. Just what the hell.
    If anything, they should reply with the fact that they at least got to the Semifinals let alone the World Cup.
    But the football remark is completely irrelevant in is situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mouser
    All users go. I may soon disappear. There is no need to dawdle on in the past. Let my words enlighten anyone who reads them.
    Tumblr - mint0h

Israel just seems to be incredibly arrogant about this whole situation.

It's going to bite them in the ass. They can't afford to have such bad PR.

This 'transcript' reads like the dumbest fanfic on the planet. Jumping on the bandwagon was too good to pass up.

AIDE: Mister President, we have just received a video conference for you.

NETANYAHU: Show it now.

A figure dressed in a dark cloak and robes appears. His face is covered in shadows as he wears a hood.

OBAMA: A fine day to you, Netanyahu. It is time that I inform you of our demands.

NETANYAHU: What are you talking about? We will not comply with your bullying.

OBAMA: Bwahaha! We demand a complete surrender of the IDF, with complete disarmament in four hours. You must hand total control of your territories over to us.

NETANYAHU: What is this now? What happened to your precious two-state solution?

OBAMA: That 'solution' belongs to the past. Israel will now be annexed into the US as the fifty-first state.

NETANYAHU: B-but this is a gross violation of Israel right to exist. You have no right to do this.

OBAMA: Silence, you wretch! It shall be known forthwith that only the United States of America are the legitimate successor to the British Mandate. Soon I shall have cemented my imperial rule over all of Palestine, Jordan and Iraq!

NETANYAHU: But... this is in violation with international law.

OBAMA: And when have you begun to care about international law? We also require you to cede the Golan Heights to Syria this instant.

NETANYAHU: While a civil war rages in Syria?! That is insane!

OBAMA: Do not show resistance. We have struck a deal with Iran to provide peacekeeping forces on your territories. They are to be supplemented with the 501st Legion and my personal Imperial Guard.

NETANYAHU: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OBAMA: Bwahahahahahahahaha!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    http://www.vox.com/2014/7/29/5949289...etanyahu-phone

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world...nly_seems.html

This is pretty ridiculous.

Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu had a phone call, and Israel's Channel 1 news network released a "transcript".

It looks like it was completely fabricated. The transcript basically seems to write Obama as a caricature of what Israeli conservatives think of him as. And it tries to pass off Netanyahu as the only sane person in the call.

The White House and Netanyahu's office are both claiming that the transcript is fake. Although I'm wondering how the news network got its hands on the transcript. I also think Channel 1 is publicly owned by Israel, but I'm not really sure.
    That both governments deny it now make it even 'stranger' that some American conservatives are also convinced it is genuine. (Yeah, that is Breitbart's site; not something that is worth anybody's attention as a news source.) It is telling how bad one's bias is if one is willing to be duped by that.

But it does leave me wondering what the source is of this forgery. I initially thought the Israeli government was responsible for it, but it seems that Channel 1 is a public channel not directly controlled by the government. So it looks like it didn't come from the government, though that option has not been ruled out yet. Channel 1 claims it came from an American official. Could it be a dissatisfied conservative? If that is true, I just hope it isn't somebody who is member of a pro-Israeli lobbying group or we'll see the "Jewish lobby" rhetoric flaring up all over.

Anyway, this is the weirdest antic in quite some time. Americans are justified to feel snubbed. Considering how loyal an ally the US is to Israel (far too much, in my opinion, as Democratic positions on the Middle East conflict are horrible and Republican ones simply out of touch), this is gloriously arrogant and ungrateful. Despite hardly being a fan of "don't bite the hand that feeds" logic.
    Last edited by Villerar; July 30th, 2014 at 01:45 AM.

The Guardian has a shot at the US government, who condemned the bombing of a UNRWA school but goes on to supply Israel with ammunition. The UNRWA runs an investigation and the tentative outcome is that the school was probably hit in an Israeli attack.

Keep this in mind: it is true that Hamas has hidden missiles at some UNRWA schools, but of course not aided by the UNRWA (to the contrary: they found and exposed rockets hidden by Hamas). Hiding weapons at such schools obviously compromises the neutrality and security of UN facilities in the Gaza Strip and cynically puts lives in danger.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...un-school-gaza

The United States issued a firm condemnation of the shelling of a United Nations school in Gaza that killed at least 16 Palestinians on Wednesday, but also confirmed it restocked Israel’s dwindling supplies of ammunition.

The White House expressed concern that thousands of civilians who had sought protection from the UN were at risk after the shelling of the girls’ elementary school. Some 3,300 civilians were taking shelter there, after being told by Israel to leave their homes.

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, which runs the school, said its initial assessment was that it has been struck by Israeli artillery.
    The UN have criticised Israel for the attack:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-school-israel

United Nations officials described the killing of sleeping children as a disgrace to the world and accused Israel of a serious violation of international law after a school in Gaza being used to shelter Palestinian families was shelled on Wednesday.

At least 15 people, mostly children and women, died when the school in Jabaliya refugee camp was hit by five shells during a night of relentless bombardment across Gaza. More than 100 people were injured.

Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary general, said the attack was "outrageous and unjustifiable" and demanded "accountability and justice". The UN said its officials had repeatedly given details of the school and its refugee population to Israel.
    The UN have reported the location of the school 17 times to Israel.

To tie this in with the topic SNF brought up, I think this extremely flabby response by the US government helps indicate how ridiculous and unreal the alleged 'leak' is (this should not be necessary to point out, but there are people who think the thing is genuine). It goes to show how deeply support for Israel is anchored in the American government (though Netanyahu has gone out of his way to spoil his standing and isn't liked very much).
    Last edited by Villerar; July 31st, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

Regarding the school bombing, during an interview with Chris Gunness from the UNRWA, this happened:

Last edited by Superninfreak; July 31st, 2014 at 09:41 AM.

The Times of Israel published a piece making the case for genocide against the Palestinians.

The article was then deleted from the website.

I just can't get my mind around the irony of a Jewish Paper arguing for Genocide.
    Last edited by Superninfreak; August 2nd, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

It is a very strange story, as the Times of Israel doesn't seen to be hawkish at all.

Later this article was posted on it, which does not argue for genocide but for a complete annihilation of Hamas with some weird exegesis of 1 Samuel 15 (the bit on the Amalekites is a bit on the edge - the author's point isn't racist, but there are Orthodox Jewish groups who do argue that Palestinians are the cursed offspring of Amalek so it is a careless trope to play around with):

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/1-sam...#ixzz39AIQIcls

I mean, I understand those articles aren't editorials of the paper, but no paper is obligated to publish stuff like that. It is definitely up for criticism.

This is an interesting, critical, albeit somewhat tendentious, account of how the war started from the perspective of the Israeli government:

In the flood of angry words that poured out of Israel and Gaza during a week of spiraling violence, few statements were more blunt, or more telling, than this throwaway line by the chief spokesman of the Israeli military, Brigadier General Moti Almoz, speaking July 8 on Army Radio’s morning show: “We have been instructed by the political echelon to hit Hamas hard.”

That’s unusual language for a military mouthpiece. Typically they spout lines like “We will take all necessary actions” or “The state of Israel will defend its citizens.” You don’t expect to hear: “This is the politicians’ idea. They’re making us do it.”

Admittedly, demurrals on government policy by Israel’s top defense brass, once virtually unthinkable, have become almost routine in the Netanyahu era. Usually, though, there’s some measure of subtlety or discretion. This particular interview was different. Where most disagreements involve policies that might eventually lead to some future unnecessary war, this one was about an unnecessary war they were now stumbling into.
    http://forward.com/articles/201764/h...ded-war/?p=all

And then there is this by Sarah Posner, arguing that there is a crisis in the centrist liberalism of American Jewry:

http://religiondispatches.org/the-co...jewish-center/

The Comoros had filed a case with the ICC over the 2010 boarding and seize of the Gaza flotilla:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29934002

The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor says she will not take action over Israel's raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla in 2010 that killed nine Turkish activists.

Fatou Bensouda said despite "reasonable basis" to believe war crimes had been committed, the ICC had to prioritise larger-scale events.

Israel said the ICC had wasted time on a "politically motivated" complaint.

Lawyers who brought the case said they planned to appeal against the decision.

Ten Israeli soldiers were injured in the incident on the Turkish-owned ship Mavi Marmara as it attempted to breach a blockade of the Hamas-run territory.

It caused a deep rift between Israel and Turkey, who were former allies.
    The Israeli foreign minister (who gave that reaction) is the far-right Avigdor Lieberman.

Tensions between Hamas and Fatah have risen after allegations by Fatah that Hamas is responsible for attacks on Fatah officials in Gaza. Hamas has denied this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29952554

The Palestinian prime minister, Rami Hamdallah, has cancelled a planned visit to the Gaza Strip after a wave of blasts targeted Fatah party officials.

Fatah has blamed Hamas, which governs the strip, for the blasts - but the group has denied it was responsible.

No-one was hurt in the bomb attacks that targeted Fatah property on Friday.
    It does not seem to have caused a definite rift in their unity government, but it has cranked up mistrust.

Hamas did claim responsibility for an attack on Wednesday in Jerusalem. This came in a series of several attacks over the last weeks. Netanyahu has announced the destruction of the perpetrators' homes in retaliation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29947955

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered that the homes of Palestinians who have carried out attacks in Jerusalem be demolished.

The decision, taken on Thursday, follows weeks of unrest in the city.

Four people have now died in two separate attacks on pedestrians in Jerusalem in the past two weeks.

The latest incident occurred on Wednesday when a Palestinian rammed his van into people waiting at a tram station, then attacked police.

One person was killed at the scene and another died from his injuries on Friday morning.

Hamas said it carried out the attack, while Israel blamed Hamas and the Fatah faction of Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, both of which formed a unity government earlier this year.
    Such things are to be expected from Hamas (especially after the recent war, Hamas kept its commitments prior to it), but that doesn't mitigate the wrongness and foolishness of such attacks.

This is some good stuff on gentile American attitudes to Israel.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...d_the_old.html

It should be borne in mind that American Jewish attitudes towards Israel also gradually became more homogeneously supportive until recently. In the early days of the twentieth century, Zionism was widely rejected by Reform Judaism (as it often was by religious Jews elsewhere around that time), but that became unthinkable by the 1960s. (That doesn't mean people became uncritically supportive, but the basic attitude changed.)

This has been a stormy week for Israel. First, the Palestinians push for a Security Council vote to end the occupation of the West Bank. They favour a Jordanian motion, but there is also a French alternative.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ael-withdrawal

The Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, is pushing for a vote in the United Nations security council – as early as Wednesday – on a resolution calling for a deadline to end the 47-year-long Israeli occupation.

The move, disclosed late on Sunday night by the chief Palestinian negotiator, Saeb Erekat, comes as Israel’s prime minister vowed to reject any attempt to set a deadline for the establishment of a Palestinian state based on 1967 borders or a timeline for ending the occupation.

Binyamin Netanyahu’s comments came as he flew to Rome for a meeting with the US secretary of state, John Kerry, to discuss Palestinian moves at the UN. Kerry will later meet with Arab foreign ministers and Erekat in London.

The push to hold a vote on Wednesday comes during a period of intense diplomatic negotiations over two rival draft texts for a resolution. The first, sponsored by Jordan at the behest of the Palestinians – envisages setting a November 2016 deadline for ending the occupation. The rival proposal, drawn up by France, would only set a deadline for an end to negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.
    tl;dr: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...eli-occupation

Then the European Parliament adopts a motion that accepts the statehood of Palestine in principle in combination with other criteria that require peace negotiations. If that sounds wishy-washy to you, that's because it's a compromise of an earlier motion that was put forward by social-democrats, socialists and greens (who together control around 40% of seats).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...alestine-state

Israel has been hammered by a series of diplomatic rebuffs across Europe after the European parliament voted overwhelmingly for qualified recognition of the Palestinian state.

The vote on Wednesday came on the same day as a meeting of signatories to the Geneva conventions warned that Israel must respect international humanitarian law in the occupied Palestinian territories.

The rare international meeting in Switzerland of the high contracting parties to the Geneva conventions was boycotted by Israel, the US, Canada and Australia.
    The vote in the European parliament, on a watered-down motion that was passed by an overwhelming majority of MEPs, follows symbolic votes in recent months by several national parliaments – including the UK, Sweden, Ireland and France – to recognise a Palestinian state. Luxembourg joined that group on Wednesday, passing two motions to parliament.

After a deal among the main parties in the parliament, the motion, carried by 498 votes to 88, stated: “The European parliament supports in principle recognition of Palestinian statehood and the two-state solution, and believes these should go hand in hand with the development of peace talks, which should be advanced.”

Third, the European General Court unlisted Hamas as a terrorist organisation based on procedural mistakes. This decision will however likely be reverted. It was something of a gaffe for the EU.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rror-blacklist

The European Union’s second highest court has ordered the removal of the Islamist group Hamas from a terrorist blacklist, citing procedural problems with the listing. It added, however, that the group’s assets should remain frozen for three months pending an almost certain appeal.
    Hamas had claimed that the decision to put it on the EU terror list was also carried out without giving it an opportunity for a hearing and without sufficient evidence being presented.

According to some reports, the problem stemmed from the fact that intelligence agencies of European countries seeking to have Hamas listed as a terrorist group had been unwilling to provide classified material as part of the evidence process for listing, so that the classification of Hamas – as well as the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka – had relied on open source material derived from the media and online sources.

So Bibi Ben-Godwin was wroth like a wasp, commenting as follows:

In Geneva they call for the investigation of Israel for war crimes, while in Luxembourg the EU court removed Hamas from the terror list … It seems that too many in Europe, on whose soil 6 million Jews were slaughtered, have learned nothing.
    Surely he has to win a prize for that.

The Israeli government has ceased its transfer of Palestinian tax revenues to the Palestinian Authority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/wo...estinians.html

JERUSALEM — Israel is withholding $127 million in tax revenue it collects for the Palestinian Authority in response to its move last week to join the International Criminal Court, further escalating tensions with a step that could have serious repercussions for both sides.

Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, said Saturday that the Israeli move could lead to the disintegration of the 20-year-old authority because it would be unable to pay government workers or provide public services. He vowed to retaliate by expediting the petitions to join the court and other international agencies and said Israel “will be held accountable for everything.”
    Israel collects more than $1 billion annually in customs and other taxes on behalf of the Palestinian Authority under terms that were part of the Oslo Accords that created the provisional government in the 1990s.

Israel has frozen the transfers at least a half-dozen times before, including in April after the Palestinians joined 15 international treaties and conventions as American-brokered peace talks were collapsing, and in 2012 after the United Nations General Assembly upgraded their status to that of a nonmember observer state. The transfers were usually renewed within weeks, serving as a symbolic slap without pushing the authority to financial abyss.
    In normal parlance, that's "theft".

The move was motivated by the Palestinian decision to join the International Criminal Court:

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/5/7494157/...-icc-explained

Last week, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas signed a treaty to make Palestine the newest member state of the International Criminal Court (ICC). The move was greeted with jubilation in Ramallah, where there were reportedly fireworks to mark the occasion, and by outrage in the Israeli government.

But the practical consequences of Palestine's move to join the court are much less clear. Here's what you need to know about what Palestine joining the court really means, why Israel and the US oppose the move, and what this means for the Israel-Palestine conflict.

The more independent, international approach to acquiring Palestinian statehood is a significant break with the past for Fatah.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/22/7324107...-peace-process

Abbas told a story about Secretary of State John Kerry's failed peace talks that differed greatly from what other participants have said publicly. But what was in many ways more important than the details of his story was the attitude it conveyed toward the US: a total collapse in trust. The senior Palestinian leadership has come to believe that the United States is utterly incapable of budging Israel in negotiations and thus of bringing peace. Long-simmering Palestinian frustration with America, which Palestinians have always seen as hopelessly biased towards Israel, has finally bubbled over.

The new Palestinian approach is a sharp break with the past. For over 20 years since the historic 1993 Oslo Accords between Israelis and Palestinians, there's been one dominant strategy on all sides for achieving peace in the Holy Land: direct, American-mediated talks between the two sides. The US-led negotiations of 2014, known as the Kerry talks, were in part a last-ditch effort to keep that process alive. The Palestinians had already begun moving away from the old model of talking directly with the Americans and Israelis and towards a campaign to isolate and pressure Israel internationally. But it looked to many like the Palestinians were bluffing, or only hedging — trying to bring more pressure to direct peace talks, not sidestep them.
    If you want to know why it is significant that Abbas forsakes the process of the Oslo accords, read this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-20033995

Republicans are eager to undermine Obama's foreign policy, taking up on Netanyahu's offer to craft a separate foreign policy.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/21/7866089...ehner-congress

House Speaker John Boehner has invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to speak to a joint session of Congress in February, on the topic of Iran. On the surface, this might seem innocent enough. Israel is a close American ally. Surely he should be welcome in Congress, particularly to discuss an issue that concerns his country.

On the surface, Netanyahu's speech will be about opposing Obama's nuclear talks with Iran and supporting Republican-led sanctions meant to blow up those talks.

But there's more than meets the eye here. Netanyahu is playing a game with US domestic politics to try to undermine and pressure Obama — and thus steer US foreign policy. Boehner wants to help him out. By reaching out to Netanyahu directly and setting up a visit without the knowledge of the White House, he is undermining not just Obama's policies but his very leadership of US foreign policy. The fact that Netanyahu is once again meddling in American politics, and that a US political party is siding with a foreign country over their own president, is extremely unusual, and a major break with the way that foreign relations usually work.
    Israeli media have joked that Netanyahu is the Republican governor from Israel. If that doesn't sound ludicrous to you, consider that the 51st state solution is supposed to be a total joke.

The more I read this thread, the more I feel like Israel is the bad guy here, and the US should denounce all relations with them and even start issuing sanctions on them for their treatment of Palistine. It just feels like if they ever got the chance, Israel wouldnt hesitate to commit a new holocaust against the palastinians
    Last edited by astroninja1; January 24th, 2015 at 08:46 AM.

Very few Israelis would want anything of the sort, even an extreme party like Israel Our Home that advocates incentives to Israeli Arabs to migrate to Palestine in order to create a more ethnically homogeneous state. Most would like a peaceful two-state solution, but prioritise short-term security over peace, long-term security and Palestinians' rights.

The antagonism is exacerbated by the fact that most Israelis experience Palestinians primarily as a dangerous other that causes bomb threats, while most Palestinians on the West Bank mostly experience Israelis in the form of the maniacal settler movement and the not maniacal but nonetheless cynical IDF. There aren't many places like Haifa where peaceful coexistence is the rule.

Of course, the U.S. has its own agenda towards Israel, largely determined by the mostly Evangelical, Christian lobby, which is imo more one-dimensional in its support for Israel than American Jewry.
    Last edited by Villerar; January 25th, 2015 at 12:35 AM.

Thread Information