Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smash Bros NX

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

Re: Smash Bros NX

Midna and Ghirahim (same with Zant and Fi) are playable only in one game (Hyrule Warriors), which would be a strike against them, no matter how popular they would be.

Tingle would never become a fighter for as long as the hatedom in the West exists, just like Teemo in League of Legends.

Ganondorf should be redesigned to be less of a Captain Falcon clone and more of a magic-casting sword-wielding warrior he is.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Why, hello there, I didn't hear you come in. Please, make yourself at home. NowhereStarr14's Avatar

All I want, if there was a new Smash Bros., and not just a Wii U/3DS remake combined, with all DLC on the NX, is a another huge story mode like the Subspace Emissary. That was the ONLY thing I missed from Smash 4, and hope it makes a return in some form.
    There is a world, as tangible as our own.
    Impossible to see, yet, unavoidable to sense.
    A world enveloped by a seemingly unending
    ocean of forests. Buried deep in that forest,
    tucked away neatly within a blanket of twilight,
    lies a quaint little cabin...and in that cabin...

is a buncha guys, who's a...buncha...stuff...or...

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    As I said many times, in the original Metroid, Ridley is the same size as Samus and thus can be included (and should be included in Smash Bros. NX).
    Except that Ridley's size there was retconned with Zero Mission. Also, even while I firmly believe that Ridley in playable size is totally possible, I do want him around Bowser's size rather than Samus'.

Lucina should be removed from Smash Bros. NX as a separate playable character (as there are already too many Fire Emblem reps with her along with Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, and Corrin), though she can be an alt costume for Marth.
    Eh, I have to disagree on this, as I prefer Lucina waaay over Marth because I never liked his tipper stuff that much (even though I prefer Roy over either of them).

Linkle could be an alt costume for Link.
    Except for the fact that she uses completely different weapons (a pair of handgun-sized crossbows) and is overall more geared to be a girl somewhat similiar to Link instead of being an actual genderswap of him.

Given that Palutena, Zero Suit Samus, and Bayonetta are Smash Bros. characters, Cia from Hyrule Warriors could definitely be in it (with Lana from the same game being an alt costume).
    I would actually prefer Lana over Cia, but both of them are so far not really characters that are part of the main series. Granted, the same could be said about Linkle, but Ninendo at least mentioned somewhere that they want to include her in the series proper, which cannot be said about these two. Besides, you later also said...
    Midna and Ghirahim (same with Zant and Fi) are playable only in one game (Hyrule Warriors), which would be a strike against them, no matter how popular they would be.
    Considering that both Sheik and Ganondorf had their playable debut in Melee, all these characters have slightly better odds now that they also appeared in Hyrule Warriors in addition to their debut games.

Cloud could be moved to PlayStation All-Stars, with Crono (from Chrono Trigger), Cecil (from Final Fantasy IV), Terra (from Final Fantasy VI), or even Will (from Illusion of Gaia) taking his place in Smash Bros.
    ...why do you want to remove Cloud? Just... why?
    We could just as easily have both him and another Square Enix rep in the game, considering that Capcom and Sega (well... kinda?) got two reps in. Especially because replacing Cloud with another Final Fantasy character is a no-brainer, as he's still the poster boy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    When I think of deserving Zelda characters, 3 come to mind: Impa, Tetra, and Tingle.
    Come to think of it, I'd like to see Impa joining the fray, even though it would be kinda hard to unify her various incarnations into one definite character for Smash (though I guess she would be based on her Skyward Sword design, but with some moves inspired by other incarnations, like using a Deku Nut as a projectile which can stun enemies).
    Tetra would be awesome too, although I'd prefer to get Zelda reps that aren't different incarnations of Link, Zelda or Ganondorf.
    Last edited by ZORK; February 8th, 2016 at 05:55 PM.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

The Bakis are back. In fact, they were always here. Planetbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    ...and Cia is a non-canon character also playable in only one game. Midna and Ghirahim are far more likely than her.
    OH MY GOODNESS!

Isn't this the BEST signature you've ever SEEN!

Spoiler: Random Quotes out of Context 

I'm a little late to this conversation, but on the topic of Zelda characters I would much rather get new characters that aren't different versions of Link, Ganondorf, or Zelda. I know that Nintendo was surprised by how well Hyrule Warriors did, but I don't think it means that characters like Linkle, Cia, and Lana take priority over other extremely popular Zelda characters that are much more relevant and important to the series.

The three Zelda characters I'd love to see in Smash NX are Midna, Ghirahim, and Impa. I know that all three of them won't make it in but I could see one or two of them making it into Smash NX. The Smash team could make Impa a Shiek clone or even a costume, but if they draw inspiration from Skyward Sword and even Hyrule Warriors I could see her being a unique character. Midna and Ghirahim would both have very unique move sets as well. I just hope the Smash team doesn't stick with the same five Zelda characters we have had for the last two Smash games. And who knows maybe we'll get a new character from Zelda Wii U in Smash NX!
    Super Smash Bros Brawl Info
    Friend Code: 2707-4831-8290
    Nick Name: Alex
    3DS Friend Code
    4081-5728-7313

One thing that slightly bugs me about the current game which I hope will get fixed in the next title, but that was not brought up in this thread yet as far as I know, is the way how certain tracks got shortened in Smash 4. I really hope this was a one-time thing and won't occur in the next game.

Also, another thing that I'd like to see are more options to customize Mii Fighters. I'm not only talking about Special moves, but also the way costumes are handled: Instead of having costumes and headgears, I'd like to see the costumes getting split into 4 separate pieces (torso, arms, legs and hands/weapon) and being able to recolor all of them.
    Furthermore, I was thinking about something like "special gear", which gives Mii Fighters additional properties to vary their movesets even further, but without the whole stat-bonus mumbojumbo of the current custom gear. For example, there could be stuff like jetpacks or wings which would give the Mii Fighter additional mid-air jumps, a shield to block projectiles (just like Link's), or gear that gives the character attacks with specific elemental properties (like ice attacks instead of fire).
    (and yes, I want both of these things mostly so I can make various Mega Man robot masters fit for Smash)

I want that forum to DIE. Just make that happen. Keeby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    One thing that slightly bugs me about the current game which I hope will get fixed in the next title, but that was not brought up in this thread yet as far as I know, is the way how certain tracks got shortened in Smash 4. I really hope this was a one-time thing and won't occur in the next game.
    Why was this ever a thing, what even was the point of shortening songs like really this is a crime against humanity.
    I also wished Tomorrow is Mine had a lyrical version and also wished Fly Me to the Moon was in the game but smash is weird like that

...and we wished the Midgar stage had the Final Fantasy Prelude and the Final Fantasy Prologue (often simply called "Final Fantasy").
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

It could go back to the 3DS version, maybe tracks were shortened to help load times?
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Probably remembering wrong, but I think Sakurai said something about it being shortened to fit 2 minute long matches.

BUT WHO PLAYS TIMED MATCHES ANYWAYS we need the entire 16 minute long Kefka music

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    Probably remembering wrong, but I think Sakurai said something about it being shortened to fit 2 minute long matches.
    no i think that was exactly it

Yeah, the DK Rap got cut pretty bad. Especially because Lanky's and Chunky's verses were my favourites, while Diddy's is actually my least favourite verse (at least in the Smash rearrangement).

The bit about the 2 time limit sounds also more feasible, since the cuts also affected the Wii U version which wouldn't have to deal with the shortcomings of the 3DS (especially since it also affected tracks absent from Smash 3DS).

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

BUT WHO PLAYS TIMED MATCHES ANYWAYS we need the entire 16 minute long Kefka music
    I don't recall him saying that but I wouldn't be surprised. It would be just like Sakurai to break something that was not broken purely because he thinks everybody plays nothing but 2 minute matches and thus he does them a favour by having this dumb limit.

Like, I don't even care if tests revealed that the average smash player plays nothing but 2 minute smashes and is highly critical of the games' soundtrack. You do NOT shorten Engage the Enemy, you just don't. And yet he did. The Neanderthal. The iconoclast. The savage. The vandal. The cretin. *mutters obscenities for a few minutes*

On the topic of music I find it interesting that the song selection for some series is fantastic, whereas other series are lacking in the music department. Lets take the Donkey Kong series for example. The Donkey Kong games are well known for music and I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns the rights to almost all of it even though Rare did work on the older Donkey Kong Country games. I don't understand why we have about eight versions of Jungle Japes and we have yet to see Fear Factory, Aquatic Ambiance, the Snowmad theme, and much much more. The Zelda series struggles with this as well because we have many versions of the Overworld theme.

Don't get me wrong Jungle Japes and the Overworld theme from Zelda are great, we just don't need anymore remixes of them. I hope with Smash NX the Smash team can represent the full spectrum of games each series brings to the table, it will only make the game better if they pick the best songs from each series.
    Last edited by Rocket Dog; March 21st, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
    3DS Friend Code
    4081-5728-7313

There are not enough remixes of "Dark World" from ALttP for example (one or two are not enough).
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

There are three versions of the Dark World theme in Smash 4, though one was carried over from Brawl, while the other was a straight rip from A Link Between Worlds (which I don't mind though). I'm fine with the music selection from the Zelda series though, as we got a pretty wide variety of melodies from the entire series - my only gripe would be the absence of the nice rendition of Saria's Song that was in Melee back then.

But I totes agree on the DK music selection, as there are not only plenty of variants of Jungle Japes, but also of the DK title theme. Though at least we got K. Rool's ship theme in.

I feel there is too much music in the game at this point. 400+ songs winds up meaning we get some really questionable choices rather than a punchier palette of songs that accurately reflect stages. I know it's unlikely but I'd rather see 4 ideal songs per stage (at least one new remix, one old remix, and one straight rip per stage) than the mostly eight to twenty we got. Especially since you can't completely turn any of them off.

I'd also like to see stages dialed back to more simplified designs. Don't make everything battlefield, but having many of the stages battlefield-esque in their layout (a main platform with smaller platforms in various locations) with one minor gimmick each would probably help keep things from getting too busy. Mushroom Kingdom U, Wily's Castle, Pyrosphere, and Flat Zone X all have entirely too much going on in too little a space, Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive are way too big, but Jungle Hijinxs is a really cool level that lets its gimmick facilitate the fights in a unique way. Mario Galaxy is another level with a unique take on the standard fight.

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

I see what you mean about the amount of songs, and several songs not really matching said stage.
    Though I think the amount of tracks is actually good, namely because of Stage Creation. I have seen/heard some fitting use of songs.
    (Like Route 10 being used for Professor Layton pixel art stages. )
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

Especially since you can't completely turn any of them off.
    Aren't songs entirely turned off when you move the bar completely to the left?

Also, I think that the wide array contains fitting songs for each stage.

I'm cool with the wide selection of music we have gotten. More variety for the stage creator is yet another reason for that.

No, they still play, but "rarely". Which for me feels like every second time I play the stage.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The most offensive musical choices in Smash are Jungle Japes, Zelda Main Theme, and Green Greens. We just... never stop getting them, and it's ridiculous. That said, it's a bigger issue with DKC than it is Zelda and Kirby because at least Zelda and Kirby are allowed to have some variety... DKC, there's around 9 variants on Jungle Japes and not much else after that. There's a lot of absolutely incredible music from DKC, DKC2, DKC3, DKCR, and DKCTF that has never shown up in Smash and at this point I frankly don't think ever will so long as Sakurai's in charge. It's basically Jungle Japes or nothing, and the shame of it is that Jungle Japes is a good song! But we have stuff like Aquatic Ambiance, Life in the Mines, Fear Factory, Hot Head Hop, Lockjaw's Saga, In A Snow Bound Land, Rockface Rumble, the DKC3 underwater theme whose name I forget, Windmill Hills, Scorch n Torch, Amiss Abyss, Wing Ding, the Snowmad Theme... listen that's a ton of music I just listed and it's only scratching the surface of the DKC Series soundtrack, and yet we have 9 goddamn Jungle Japes remixes instead of any of those. There's something from every game I listed there, I mean they could've just pulled from DKCR for some DKC remixes if they wanted! Same goes for DKCTF, there was a ton of music they could've just ripped from that and it would've been great. DKCR's Fear Factory and Life in the Mines mixes are excellent and wouldn't feel out of place at all. There are no rights issues, it just makes no sense why we have so little variety.

Metroid also comes to mind with having musical variety issues. It has some variety but Smash 4 removed some good stuff like the Metroid Prime menu theme (why???? it's one of the best songs in the series.) and instead we have mostly Brinstar and Ridley remixes. It's not as bad as it could be but it could be so much more than it is.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

I couldn't agree with you more Lightningboalt, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the DK series isn't given the attention it deserves musically in Smash.

What I find weird about the Metroid series is that we hardly got anything from the Metroid Prime games in Smash 4, and I'm talking music, stages, trophies, etc... I know that there has been some controversy about whether the Prime games are canon in the Metroid Universe, but does that mean Sakurai and the Smash team would ignore the Prime games because of those reasons?

Just like the DKC games the Metroid Prime games have really amazing music. Off the top of my head I'd love to have Tallon Overworld, Phendrana Drifts, Metroid Prime Echoes Title Theme, Turvos Bog, Rundas' theme, Gandraydas theme, Dark Samus' theme, and of course like you said Lightningboalt they should bring back the Metroid Prime Title Theme.
    Last edited by Rocket Dog; March 24th, 2016 at 02:15 AM.
    3DS Friend Code
    4081-5728-7313

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

I'm mostly disappointed in the total lack of Sonic remixes, but I'm guessing that's Sega's fault. They're kinda protective over Sonic's representation, I think.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

I'm mostly disappointed in the total lack of Sonic remixes, but I'm guessing that's Sega's fault. They're kinda protective over Sonic's representation, I think.
    At least Sonic does have pretty great music choices. Uh, if you're a fan of Sonic to begin with for I can't stand those lyrical songs, but the selection seems pretty great overall there.

Contrast to Final Fantasy. There's been a ton of FF games for Nintendo consoles + FF7 and we get 2 songs and a guy with the &&&&tiest alt colours ever. Nice going, Square.

Either way, Boalt summed up a lot of the issues with the soundtrack of this game. Shame it ain't the end of it. As mentioned before, the shortening of various songs that really should not have been shortened is also a dumb thing Sakurai did... Except for Dark Pits theme, which has both a shortened and normal lenght version of it in the game.

Yeah... Glad we got that option with 1 theme but not any of the others. Not with ID Purpose, DK Rap, an earthbound song (smiles & tears?) or Engage the Enemy. Nah man, who even cares for those songs? Dark Pits theme, now that's the only one people would complain about if it'd been shortened. Glad Sakurai thought of that.

Also another thing I don't get is remixes like Egg Planet, DKCR Rocket song, Yoshi Woolly World and Xenoblade Medley. They are basically identical to their originals, which also are in the game. So what's the point? That just leads to (even more) pointless music bloat. Like, the Egg Planet remix is subpar, but I'd rather have the remix and, say, the original Buoy Base over the same 2 darn songs.

This is such a weird thing about Smash 4. If you put a magnifying glass on basically any of its features, be it the stages, items, characters, music, modes or online play, you will find so many stupid flaws and decisions that really makes no sense whatsoever to be in a game of this level.

The Metroid representation in Smash was always a bit weird. The first game was mostly the original Metroid, Melee mixed it with Super Metroid, Brawl was mostly Prime, and now Smash 4 is mostly Other M.

While many of the Prime tracks you've listed sound a bit too relaxed to be fitting for Smash (at least in my humble opinion), some of them could work great as a basis for awesome rearrangements.

But while we're talking about Metroid music... where in Prime's name is Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns?! Like, seriously?

Also, I have to admit, I'm not fond of any rendition of Ridley's theme found in Brawl and Smash 4. They all changed the things I liked the most about the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Zant View Post
    Also another thing I don't get is remixes like Egg Planet, DKCR Rocket song, Yoshi Woolly World and Xenoblade Medley. They are basically identical to their originals, which also are in the game. So what's the point? That just leads to (even more) pointless music bloat. Like, the Egg Planet remix is subpar, but I'd rather have the remix and, say, the original Buoy Base over the same 2 darn songs.
    Aside from Egg Planet and the Rocket Song (I didn't even knew there were two variants of it in the game?), I kinda have to disagree with you here. The Re-arranged Wooly World is more upbeat, and the Xenoblade Medley is alongside with the Valedictorian Elegy easily my favourite Song on Gaur Plains due to being so fast-paced.

Thread Information