Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smash Bros NX

Smash Bros NX

I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss since we now know that the DLC for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS will be coming to a close in February.

You can talk about characters you want in the next game, stages, music, and gameplay changes you would like to see in this thread.

I'll kick things off by talking about how the Smash team will decide what characters will be in the next game. I think the smash ballot will have a big role in who the Smash team decides to put in the next game. I also think we can look at the the current games and make some predictions off the Mii fighter costumes since we know many of the costumes are based off popular characters that people like/want in the game.

I'm also assuming that every character in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS (including DLC characters) will return in Smash Bros NX. I feel like anything less would be a step down from what they have already strived to achieve. It makes me wonder if we will get a "ultimate" version of the game on the NX with new characters, stages, and music. Or if we will get a new game entirely.

I'll post more about which characters I think will be in the next game later, but please discuss what you want in the next Smash here!
    Last edited by Rocket Dog; December 16th, 2015 at 03:19 AM.

Re: Smash Bros NX

I'm gonna counter you on one point: out of all the characters in Smash as of now, I find one unlikely to return: Cloud Strife. It was said several times throughout the direct, but him being in the game was something of a miracle, and it possibly cost them...like. A fortune. Maybe. I don't know the details, but the fact that he only has a Japanese VA and that there's only 2 songs on his stage is...a little telling, I think. And, of course, you can't realistically expect EVERY character to return in the next game- it was hard enough for the Smash Team to bring back as many of the characters from Brawl as they could, and even THEN they still had to drop a few (Lucas and Wolf being most prominent, whilst Ice Climbers and Snake had their own reasons for being dropped). They'll certainly try to bring back as many as physically possible, whilst adding more, but of course this won't come without great difficulty.

Also, saying it now: As much as it pains me to say it, Isaac is never going to be playable in Smash. I say this not just because they dropped his Assist trophy, but also due to a lack of any Mii Outfit, or trophies, or...well...literally anything outside of two tracks from his franchise. But hey, I can still dream.

And of Course Inkling would be a shoe-in...but hey, they chose to put Corrin in over them which I'm totally not salty over so I have no idea.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).
    Spoiler: a few Miiverse drawings. :) 
    "I'm going to be disgustingly famous one day. You've been warned."
    ~Klonoa, Tomodachi Life

I created a CYOA and all I got was this lousy link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
    I'm also assuming that every character in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS (including DLC characters) will return in Smash Bros NX. I feel like anything less would be a step down from what they have already strived to achieve.
    You could make the same statement about the jump from Melee to Brawl and the jump from Brawl to SSB4. There's always going to be cuts, expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment, I think. Cuts seem even more likely in this case due to how many third parties there are.

There aren't many characters I want to see in Smash Bros at this point, and the ones I would be happy to see are generally unlikely (with the exception of Inkling).
    ~Graphically Minded~

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

I think the only reason Cloud had his Japanese voice only was because Steve Burton was busy with the FFVII Remake. I'm assuming his JP voice wasn't busy with recording at the moment.

I feel like Smash NX doesn't even have to be a brand new game, but just a port with the DLC included, with a few extras (Ice Climbers).

Quote Originally Posted by Kapus View Post
    You could make the same statement about the jump from Melee to Brawl and the jump from Brawl to SSB4. There's always going to be cuts, expecting anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment, I think. Cuts seem even more likely in this case due to how many third parties there are.

There aren't many characters I want to see in Smash Bros at this point, and the ones I would be happy to see are generally unlikely (with the exception of Inkling).
    Yeah I see what you and Sable-Xeno are saying, it is unfortunate that cuts will probably be made. I do hope that they make sensible cuts such as removing the clones like Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. I know that they took little work to put in but I'd much rather have them as costumes than as characters.

At the moment I do think there will be a few front runners for the next game...

Inkling

This character hardly needs any justification/explination for being in the next Smash game. Splatoon has been a massive hit for Nintendo, especially in Japan. It's a series I don't see going away anytime soon, a sequel for Splatoon seems likely for the NX so I don't think their popularity will diminish as we move towards the next generation of Nintendo. (unless they screw up the sequel that is) Aside from Splatoon being a success for Nintendo the Inklings would be unique, fresh, and interesting fighters in the Smash Bros lineup.

King K. Rool

It is kind of baffling that we haven't seen another Donkey Kong character join the Smash lineup, and if we have learned anything from the Smash ballot it's that people want to see this big guy in the game. I feel like the K. Rool Mii costume was made because of that popularity. Honestly I'd love to see King K. Rool in Smash, even if he is a character that hasn't had a lot of recent appearances I think that he would add a lot of diversity to the game.

Isabelle

This is another character that seems to make a lot of sense because of her immense popularity, she has practically become the face of Animal Crossing since the release of New Leaf. She was basically the main character of the Happy Home designer and amiibo festival games, she also was a playable character in Mario Kart 8 and she got here own Mii costume in Smash. As for her moveset I'm not sure what they'll do, but after seeing what they did with the Villager's moveset I have confidence that they'll come up with something fun and interesting for her.

I'll talk about a few more characters later but what do you guys think of these characters chances in the next Smash?
    Super Smash Bros Brawl Info
    Friend Code: 2707-4831-8290
    Nick Name: Alex
    3DS Friend Code
    4081-5728-7313

The Bakis are back. In fact, they were always here. Planetbox's Avatar

To be honest, the only character I really want in the next game is Bandanna Waddle Dee. And another Zelda character would be nice, but that's about it (for my reasonable hopes at least).
    OH MY GOODNESS!

Isn't this the BEST signature you've ever SEEN!

Spoiler: Random Quotes out of Context 

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Planetbox View Post
    Bandanna Waddle Dee.
    Yesh.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

I'm calling it now: Assuming that she actually will show up in future games, I guess we'll get Linkle as a new Zelda rep in the next Smash.

I'd be actually happier if the moveset clones won't get cut, but instead tweaked further away from their templates, similiar to what happened to Falco, Ganondorf or Roy.

As for characters in the upcoming Smash, I guess the Ice Climbers will come back, and Inklings sound feasible, but other than that, I can only think of characters that sound unlikely to ever become playable (like Ridley or Isaac).

In all honesty, I think it's waaay too early to think about a new Smash Bros. game. But still, a few features that I hope will be incorporated into the next game:

- A few more options for the Stage Builder, most notably, the option to create stages for 8 player Smash
    - Custom moves for all characters
    - More Specials for the Mii Fighters to choose from
    - More variation in the custom moves for some other characters
    - Preferrably, the option to re-use DLC costumes from this game for the next one

And that's it for now.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

Annnnd quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    In all honesty, I think it's waaay too early to think about a new Smash Bros. game.
    I feel like we need to at least hear about development on the next game first. XD
    Though yeah, I can see Ice Cimbers and Inklings getting in. I am less optimistic of any form of a Professor Layton rep. (Trophy/costume)
    (Oh and yes, Bandanna Waddle Dee sounds like a great character.)

EDIT: Ah, it just hit me that there is the possibility of Sakurai not making the next Smash.
    It's a weird thought.
    Last edited by Puzzle044; December 17th, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

I would love a more robust stage builder in the next game. If they went all-out on that, including things like Nintendo-themed skins, decorations, loads of weird moving platform setups, different types of floor, and the ability to assign two (or more!) songs to the stage... Gosh, it'd be perfect. It would make custom stages interesting visually, which right now they are not.

The Bakis are back. In fact, they were always here. Planetbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I would love a more robust stage builder in the next game. If they went all-out on that, including things like Nintendo-themed skins, decorations, loads of weird moving platform setups, different types of floor, and the ability to assign two (or more!) songs to the stage... Gosh, it'd be perfect. It would make custom stages interesting visually, which right now they are not.
    A combination of the current stage builder with the Brawl one would be great. If we had the free draw thing and the large amounts of decoration, there would be a lot of freedom in custom stage design.
    OH MY GOODNESS!

Isn't this the BEST signature you've ever SEEN!

Spoiler: Random Quotes out of Context 

Do we have any solid details on the NX so far?

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasae Bushae View Post
    That's a very good question.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasae Bushae View Post
    Short answer... no.
    Long answer... Nintendo has been making a several patents, like a lot.
    Though as normal, A lot of the patents may never be used, so it's hard to tell.

The most recent patent is quite interesting though.
    From what I gather, the NX is fairly inexpensive, and one would be able to connect supplemental processing devices together for more power.
    There is also something about NX's around the world being able help other NXs preform better through the net.
    A person could set their NX up to share it's processing power, and by doing so the person would get payed by Nintendo in some form. (points?)
    I need to see if I can find the link to that article that was showing the patent. XD

Edit: oh, this one should work: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/21...ve-seen-before
    (I should probably mention that Adblock says it's blocking about 48 ads. o_O)

We will probably hear all about the NX during E3 next year.
    It will be interesting to see what patents actually get implemented. XD
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

So at this point the NX could be anything from a console, a handheld, a smart phone, skynet, to using cartridges, to memory cards, to digital use only...Supposedly using top level technology for the console, and Nintendo hints that it will be qa third device that will exist alongside the handheld and the console...Whatever that could be....

As long as the Wii U won't die out just when the NX arrives, I won't mind what it will be. I got the console in 2013, and two years are an awfully short lifespan for a videogame system.

I wholeheartedly agree on everything regarding the Stage Builder! That's also the reason why I mentioned this "Super Smash Maker" idea over in the SSB4 News thread.

So there are now rumors about the next Smash Bros. game for the NX being a launch title for the system, and the source is apparently a very reliable one.

I'm doubtful on what I should think of this. A brand new Smash sounds incredibly unlikely, and I think it's a bit too soon for a port of the current game.

I dunno, an Ultimate Smash Bros. kind of thing would be nice to see. Including the existing DLC and improving the single player would be a system seller, especially if they throw in some extra features as well. Besides, by the time the NX is out, Smash 4 will have been around for at least a year and a half.
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    So there are now rumors about the next Smash Bros. game for the NX being a launch title for the system, and the source is apparently a very reliable one.

I'm doubtful on what I should think of this. A brand new Smash sounds incredibly unlikely, and I think it's a bit too soon for a port of the current game.
    Could be a port of 4. Get that on the system and you've already got solid groundwork for development 5.

Just merge the two versions together, get the climbers in there(with power no longer a concern....) and I guarantee you people would be more than willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by SockOutTheWindow View Post
    I dunno, an Ultimate Smash Bros. kind of thing would be nice to see. Including the existing DLC and improving the single player would be a system seller, especially if they throw in some extra features as well. Besides, by the time the NX is out, Smash 4 will have been around for at least a year and a half.
    A year and a half is still awfully short considering that most fans not only got the game itself, but also a good chunk of additional stuff for it - the GameCube Controller adapter, various amiibo and of course DLC. Granted, it's a safe bet that at least the amiibo will be still compatible with the port, but I do hope that a potential port of Smash Bros. for Wii U will come with a little bit more than just the Ice Climbers and probably Wolf.

Though I guess it's probably still too early to get worked up over this in the first place. Maybe everything will work out just fine.

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

If we are talking about a third version of Smash 4, the NX will become the definitive edition. Among the ideas I've already seen here like adding the Ice Climbers and merging the stage selection of the 3DS and Wii U versions, now would be the time to fully incorporate the DLC characters into the game. And by that, I mean get them some custom moves. I also wouldn't mind a new character selection screen that not only fits every character on screen at once, but properly places DLC and clone characters with their franchises. If Fire Emblem is going to have 6 characters, why not flaunt them all together instead of scattering them all over?
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

I agree with everyone that the rumored Smash game for the NX would likely be a "ultimate" version of the 3DS and Wii U versions. I would think that they would add missing characters like the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and if Konami plays nice Snake. I would be baffled if they didn't add at least a few new characters, if I was banking on anyone I think it would be the Inklings and maybe even King K. Rool.

Whether they would continue to add DLC characters to this "ultimate" version, or wait until an actual sequel remains to be seen. But I'd love to talk about what new Mario characters I think will make it in.

Captain Toad

Captain Toad embodies what makes the Toads great characters, they're clumbsy, scare easily, and they're adorable. Captain Toad would fight with his pickaxe, backpack, and flashlight. He would be a very comical character because most of the damage he would give would look like an accident. He would also have Toadette and the rest of the Toad Brigade as costumes. If he makes it Smash we would have all the main Mario characters in Smash (I don't include Waluigi and Daisy in that list because lets be honest here, they are filler characters.)

Paper Mario

If we can have two versions of Link and Samus, I think we should get a version of Mario that is actually unique and not just Mario in a Doctor get-up. This character has been discussed many times so I won't go into great detail. He would not only have a unique moveset but he would also represent the RPG side of Mario games. I would love to see all his allies incorporated into his moveset as well.

I don't think we would need any more Mario characters in Smash if these guys make it in. But what do you guys think?
    Last edited by It's A Meow Mario!; February 7th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.

I'm on the fence about any more Mario reps, but these two sound rather feasible to me. Also, if we get a total of 8 Mario reps, we could have a proper 8 player Smash with characters from only one franchise, an idea that amuses me as much as the possibilty of having traditional Smashes in Smash 4 with no Nintendo characters participating whatsoever.

Personally, I would like to see another Zelda rep (though I don't know who - while I theorized that Linkle might become a Smasher in the future, she's still not really established as a character), and of course, Ridley (as unlikely as he is by now).

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

As I said many times, in the original Metroid, Ridley is the same size as Samus and thus can be included (and should be included in Smash Bros. NX).

Lucina should be removed from Smash Bros. NX as a separate playable character (as there are already too many Fire Emblem reps with her along with Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, and Corrin), though she can be an alt costume for Marth.

Captain Toad and Paper Mario can be added to the roster, but no more Mario franchise characters afterwards.

Linkle could be an alt costume for Link. Skyward Sword Zelda (both versions: Skyloft and terrestrial) should be an alt costume for Zelda.

Given that Palutena, Zero Suit Samus, and Bayonetta are Smash Bros. characters, Cia from Hyrule Warriors could definitely be in it (with Lana from the same game being an alt costume).

Dixie Kong could be added in as well, and King K. Rool definitely should be added as a playable character.

For third-party characters, Level-5's Professor Layton should be included (while PlayStation All-Stars can have Toan (from Dark Cloud) and Max and Monica (both from Dark Cloud 2); the three are from games developed by Level-5 but published by Sony).

Cloud could be moved to PlayStation All-Stars, with Crono (from Chrono Trigger), Cecil (from Final Fantasy IV), Terra (from Final Fantasy VI), or even Will (from Illusion of Gaia) taking his place in Smash Bros.

Oh, and Ice Climbers should be in Smash Bros. NX.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

When I think of deserving Zelda characters, 3 come to mind: Impa, Tetra, and Tingle.

Impa would probably end up a lot like Sheik. Not necessarily a clone, but with a similar build (at least in her more popular iterations) and job, she would likely be another ninja-type. Maybe throw in some shadowy magic to differentiate her. Though she has some diverse weaponry in Hyrule Warriors, I would hope her mainline appearances would take precedent in building her. Also, she is the 4th most-recurring character in the series.

Tetra is Zelda, and thus a logical character to use if more of the "Toon" side of Zelda needs representing. She's got unusual proportions, much like Link, and is unique from other characters in that she is a pirate. She could steal other players' held items, or possibly use a bit of wind-based magic and attacks. While "Toon Zelda" is also a possibility, I deem that a pretty boring choice when Tetra is an option too.

Tingle is plenty popular and has enough weirdness going for him that he'd make a decent fighter. He's also been in almost as many Zelda games as Impa, AND has had a few of his own. The only thing really holding him back is the hatedom he's garnered in the west. That might keep him in Assist Trophy Land for a while yet.

Other Zelda characters, such as Midna, Ghirahim, and so on, are popular too. But their one-off appearances mean they probably won't ever be playable.

Thread Information