Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Mario Maker

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Super Mario Maker

I made a sequel to Spookwheel, for anyone interested. SPOOKWHEEL 2: SHOCK AND TERROR
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

It would be interesting to be able to play Super Mario Maker as a TAMADRA from Puzzle & Dragons (note that there is an official Super Mario crossover with Puzzle & Dragons released worldwide for the 3DS, developed by Puzzle & Dragons creator GungHo and published by Nintendo).
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Doubt anyone actually really uses this thread anymore, but I got two more levels I'll post:

Lil' Bud

Spookwheel 3: Ghastly Revenge
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Bleh, cant post directly to my levels on that mario maker website. Guess my wii u and nintendo id profile aint linked or something. either way, I dont care enough right now to figure it out.
    Here's a few of my levels since most of the older ones in this topic won't work no more.

The Peaceful Village 1.2: C2E1-0000-00D8-0C96
    The tough gritty sequel that is The Ruined Village: 6109-0000-01EF-E0DE
    and a revised Forest Graves: 6800-0000-01EE-6CF3

Would especially like some plays on the ruined village since this is the third time I uploaded it. First to have someone else test it, then to 'truly' upload it and then because Kamek no longer destroys one-way blocks like he once did and thus I had to remove a troll trap that once was a neat mechanic. 3 full playthroughs and 9 boss fights, man...

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

I just uploaded a new one for the first time since my Star Wars one.

Luigi's Quest for Pasta: Act III: 2D4A-0000-01EF-CFAE

But uh, Nintendo needs to do something about the Pink Coins. When you test the level and start at the checkpoint, you lose the coins you had. But when you actually play the stage normally, you still have the coins if you die and start back at a checkpoint. I had to put a hidden backup key to upload the level. :V

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

Super Mario Maker also has the Super Expert difficulty, which is unlocked upon completing Expert difficulty. It only has six courses, but each one is extremely difficult (and is guaranteed that no automatic level would show up).
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

So long, and thanks for all the fish Deucey Dee's Avatar

Here's my latest entry:

Three Rounds With Bowser Jr.: 411A-0000-01FA-F6A4

A really simple idea I had had: You fight Bowser Jr three times in different environments. Pretty straightforward.

I started the level before the latest update came out, and I was the least bit bummed out while working on a way to go to the next room after having defeated Jr each time. But then the update came out, and, long story short, the key and locked door mechanic made things MUCH easier for me. (Seriously, though, I typed out a huge paragraph with all the details before I realized I'd be better off summarizing it, so when I say long story short, I MEAN it.)

The level is simple, straightforward, and easier than my other levels, considering that there's no themed obstacles or clever tricks other than the environments in which you fight. Enjoy. I'll almost certainly make a sequel of some sort.

EDIT: I'll just add this next one in the same post in case 4 days isn't long enough for a double-post.

Pink Coin Palace: B732-0000-0202-E7ED

Experimenting with the new features inspired this level, and I think this might be my new proudest work, beating even Koopa Industries (if only you guys could've seen it).

The level has a straightforward format: collect the five Pink Coins to get the key to unlock the door to reach the goal. Each Pink Coin is in a separate room accessible by pipe. Each room contains a puzzling challenge that you must clear to reach the Pink Coin, and possibly clear a second time to return to the pipe. The challenges involve Skewers, Thwomps, and/or P-switches, and focus on timing. Their entrances are lined up more or less in order of difficulty. Room 5 is the most challenging one, and I'm particularly proud of that one.

Here's where things get intense. If it was possible, I would've implemented it, but as it turns out, there's no way to completely reset everything in the rooms, so, particularly for rooms 1-3, if you fail the challenge, you'll have to restart the entire level. Same obviously goes for if you die in any of the rooms. This, combined with the nature of the challenges, gives the level a fair amount of difficulty.

I'm particularly anxious to see what people think of this level, mainly those who manage to beat it.
    Last edited by Deucey Dee; April 3rd, 2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: I realized that I said Whomps instead of Thwomps, and there are no Whomps in Super Mario Maker... as of yet.

This is now my favorite scene and image from Archer.

So long, and thanks for all the fish Deucey Dee's Avatar

This time, I do believe it's been long enough that I can make a new post. So, here's my next level.

Mystery Block House: 1B57-0000-021D-CE17

Unnecessary backstory time! So, last winter, there was an event called the Nintendo Holiday Experience (or something like that), where you could try out previously released games for the Wii U and 3DS. It was here that I first tried out Super Mario Maker, having been curious about it for a while, so I could finally decide whether or not to ask for it for Christmas get it. As I was experimenting with the level designer, an idea came to me.

I had watched/heard one of the hosts explaining that you could put just about anything (including enemies) into a ? block, and that had gotten my gears turning. The level that I then designed revolved around that feature. It was a simple, straight-through level containing lots of ? blocks. The contents of the blocks were varied and unpredictable, being either enemies or items. The basic idea was that you wouldn't know what you would get from each block as you hit it. The blocks were grouped into sections, with each section having a certain concept behind the contents. For example, one section consisted of a long row of blocks that the player could ground pound from above, each of which contained either a 1-up or a Spiny. The player could then drop down and go underneath to collect the 1-ups, while avoiding any Spinies they may have unwittingly released.

Why did I tell you all this? Simple: that level, that I had designed at that event 3 months earlier, was essentially the inspiration behind this level. After making Pink Coin Palace, (see above post), I realized that I could implement the newly added Key feature into the premise of that first level. By putting a Key into one of a group of ? blocks, I added an element of significance to the equation. Thus, the concept went from "I wonder what's in these blocks over here" to "Which of these blocks contains the Key so I can move on?" So I took that, and threw it together with the Ghost House format, being a fan of Ghost Houses (at least from New Super Mario Bros. onward), and the beautiful result is this little number (which starts with a letter, ironically).

So, that's the long of it. The short version: this is a Ghost House style level, and each room contains a locked door leading to the next. To find the key, you must use the ? blocks in each room. Some blocks are "duds", giving you only coins or a Mushroom, while others may contain nasty surprises ranging from disorientating to downright life-threatening. Keep in mind that the Key may not always be in one of the blocks. At the end of the level is a bonus mini-game that I put what was likely the lion's share of time and effort into designing. Enjoy!

Next time on Re: Super Mario Maker with Deucey Dee: Reprisal. Redress. Revenge!

Dramatic advertising aside, I am not planning anything of a severe and potentially illicit or immoral nature, and am now clarifying that in this disclaimer so as to avoid possible overreaction or intervention stemming from misinterpretation of the above text.
    Last edited by Deucey Dee; April 11th, 2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: I had deleted the level so I could edit it, and then reuploaded it, so I have updated the link and level code to the latest edition

This is now my favorite scene and image from Archer.

Thread Information