Thread: 11 Gun Control Myths

To vex the world rather than divert it. Villerar's Avatar

11 Gun Control Myths

In their words about the future of gun control (a bit of a misnomer if you ask me), courtesy of The Guardian US.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...l-reform-myths

Another mass shooting, another round of arguments about why gun reform is doomed to fail. Turns out, most of those arguments dont hold up to scrutiny

Responsible for Wario's Future Execution LeftyGreenMario's Avatar
    Wherever your imagination wants it to be.

Re: 11 Gun Control Myths

I'm always for gun control. I really don't understand gun culture in the U.S.. It really baffles me... But yeah, I know a lot of these tropes dealt out by those who oppose stricter gun control. The "self-defense" argument doesn't really work. I have an online friend who tells me that he keeps a gun for self-defense, but he has depression issues, and that he keeps guns really worries me...
    Is corn grass? Can you make fancy headdresses with it?

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

I am also a firm believer in gun control. Keeping a gun for hunting animals is one thing. Keeping a gun for self-defence is another thing.

Even the Ontario NDP is split on gun control.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Maps and graphs that show the disparity in gun ownership between the United States and the rest of the world are ubiquitous, but this article has some extras.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/11/5797892...-ownership-map

The United States owns way, way more guns per capita than the rest of the world. And the best research on gun violence suggests that's probably contributing to our homicide problem — such as the horrific shooting in Virginia Wednesday morning.

Here's a map of firearm ownership around the world, using 2012 data compiled by The Guardian. The United States has nearly twice as many guns per 100 people as the next closest, Yemen — 88.8 guns per 100 as opposed to 54.8 in Yemen:
    Data from inside the United States suggests the same thing. A recent, highly sophisticated study found that, once you control for general crime rates and other confounding factors, "each 1 percentage point increase in proportion of household gun ownership" translated to a 0.9 percent increase in homicides. A meta-analysis — study of studies — found a strong consensus among researchers that access to guns correlated with higher homicide rates in the United States.

This is old, but still worth reading today: about how conservatives forced a reinterpretation of the constitution through (ignore the naïve and confused grammatical analysis).

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-...cond-amendment

Does the Second Amendment prevent Congress from passing gun-control laws? The question, which is suddenly pressing, in light of the reaction to the school massacre in Newtown, is rooted in politics as much as law.

For more than a hundred years, the answer was clear, even if the words of the amendment itself were not. The text of the amendment is divided into two clauses and is, as a whole, ungrammatical: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” The courts had found that the first part, the “militia clause,” trumped the second part, the “bear arms” clause. In other words, according to the Supreme Court, and the lower courts as well, the amendment conferred on state militias a right to bear arms—but did not give individuals a right to own or carry a weapon.

Vox on why American gun control solutions are likely to have limited effects compared to other countries. Note that these would still be vast improvements.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/5/9454161...lence-solution

President Obama is clearly fed up. His speeches after mass shootings — speeches that have become a bit of a morbid ritual, given how regularly the shootings occur — have grown angrier, more emotional, and more disgusted at America's gun violence problem and Congress's unwillingness to do literally anything to stop it. "This is a political choice that we make," Obama declared Thursday night, after the 294th mass shooting of 2015, "to allow this to happen every few months in America."

But let's be clear about precisely what kind of choice this is. Congress's decision not to pass background checks is not what's keeping the US from European gun violence levels. The expiration of the assault weapons ban is not behind the gap. What's behind the gap, plenty of research indicates, is that Americans have more guns. The statistics are mind-blowing: America has 4.4 percent of the world's population but almost half of its civilian-owned guns.
    That no gun control would pass is overstated (see link in OP), but there is a demonstrated risk of regulation failing at the last moment because regulators chicken out.

This also fits here.

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/19/8807851...rol-charleston

When there are mass shootings in America, whether it was the murder of nine churchgoers in Charleston this June, or the murder of 10 people on Thursday at Umpqua Community College in Oregon, my mind inevitably turns to the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech.

That act of mass murder, which left 32 victims dead, spurred a furious and divisive national debate over gun control. And yet, as one of the last mass shootings of the Bush era, that debate was still somehow less fraught and more productive than those so far under Obama, who by his party and race is far more polarizing on such issues simply by being president.

It is little wonder that while President Obama has in both recent shootings clearly signaled his desire for gun control measures to abate the killings, he has also sounded increasingly hopeless that it will happen.

Obama announced an ambitious swathe of executive actions to close some loopholes around background checks down.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/4/10708324...xecutive-order

After high-profile mass shootings, President Barack Obama has urged the American people to call on Congress to pass measures that would restrict access to guns and, hopefully, reduce gun violence. But after multiple pleas, Congress hasn't acted, even after the grisly mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012.

So Obama is now acting on his own — with executive actions.

"Every single year, more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns," Obama said at a press conference on Tuesday. "We are the only advanced country on Earth that sees this kind of mass violence erupt with this kind of frequency."

Obama met with Attorney General Loretta Lynch on Monday to consider what he can do without congressional legislation to reduce gun violence in America, which kills many more people in the US than other developed nations. In a press conference after the meeting, White House officials announced a plan they had been working on for months behind the scenes to address gun violence.

The changes will attempt to close what's widely (but misleadingly) known as the "gun show loophole," as well as increase the efficiency of the federal background check system to avoid cases from falling through. The executive actions will also take smaller steps, ranging from improving the tracking of lost or stolen guns to encouraging technological improvements that will, in theory, make firearms safer.
    Only a buyback scheme would be able to make the number of gun deaths drop to the level of other countries within decades, though.

Thread Information