Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U tourney!

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Re: The Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U tourney!

Quote Originally Posted by astroninja1 View Post
    well the thing with gamer is its easy to dodge, until your opponent knocks you out of your safe spot. also the random nature of the stage layout doesnt help
    That random stage layout is an issue, yes, and I'll look into that. But as for knocking opponents into 5Volt, you can airdodge, sidestep, counter or shield(though it'd break) her highly predictable and split second attack. So if you can get someone to be hit by her without getting hit yourself, that seems perfectly fair to me. Gamer isn't a 'hope you dodge hazards better than your opponent' type of crapfest like Port Town Aero Dive or 'throw your opponents upwards and hope a bomb spawns' like in Brawls' Pictochat. I played Gamer a lot, and I feel like it promotes skill a whole lot more than luck, just in a different way than most stages do. That's how I see it, at least.

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

Well I just played a match on Green Hill Zone and the bumpers don't seem to be too much of a problem but it's kind of distracting/annoying when you think their going to help and right as you land on them they spin around... I'm not sure if they only spin after being hit or just randomly its kind of hard to tell...
    EDIT: Okay it looks like they just spin around, if you accidentally touched one when spinning it might be death for you, which is the only reason I think we might want to ban this stage.
    EDIT 3: BUT the match might not even go there so it may not matter.

EDIT 2: Okay just played a match on pilotwings, I didn't realize it was all the plane I literally haven't played this stage at all :P
    The tilting stage is kinda bad for projectile users like robin but also brings certain advantages I'd think, but the tilting stage could goof up recovery too...
    I think we could keep it.

Okay I played Gamer now, I'd definitely ban this stage. From the random stage selection, to 5volt being able to knock you out while you're trying to recover (I bounced against the stage) and some of the layouts having block platforms above you could bounce off and potentially abuse for combos (Like skyworld) though I don't think I'd be able to abuse them and it wouldn't be a big deal but getting killed by a hazard wouldn't be good for a tourney...

Awesome stage for casual matches though.
    Last edited by PowerMiner; April 11th, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Smash WiiU Challenges: 139/140 JUST 40 SOMETHING CUSTOM MOVES LEFT
    Smash 3DS Challenges: 133/135

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Gamer is annoying because I think it has an awkward camera angle and I think the hazard is a bit too centralizing. Basically it's the same as my thoughts on Norfair - I don't think the hazards themselves are that bad, but they are intrusive and annoying to deal with, changing how you play because now you have to take them into account.

Pilotwings and Windy Hill I have no particular problems with, for what it's worth. Windy Hill can be campy but I think it's easier to camp on Big Battlefield, just due to the nature of the layout.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Obviously no one asked me...I am in favor of walkoff stages.
    Seriously, what's the big deal with them?
    If nothing else of them, leave Wooly World, I love that thing. Walkoffs are only a problem about half the time there, and even then I still don't see the problem.
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Quote Originally Posted by NiGHTcapD View Post
    Obviously no one asked me...I am in favor of walkoff stages.
    Seriously, what's the big deal with them?
    If nothing else of them, leave Wooly World, I love that thing. Walkoffs are only a problem about half the time there, and even then I still don't see the problem.
    >pk fire
    >down throw
    >aerial
    >pummel/back throw

that's the problem^
    okay not just ness just it makes easy kills easy and makes the game a little more unfair in some ways
    Sorry I'm probably not the best person to explain it...
    It's just not too good for tourneys and such.

Forum Moderator

Walkoffs are incredibly easy to get really cheap kills on. Camp at the edge, wait for a person to get near you, backthrow... dead at all of 10%. Push a person near there, use something that doesn't do a lot of knockback but still does some, yet another low percent kill. Walkoffs are incredibly cheap and if you play on them smartly, you get a lot of cheap kills.

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

It's all a real shame too, Boxing Ring is one of my personal favorite stages.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Here are my opinions on the stages:
    Gamer: Keep, rarely if ever do I or any ais actually get killed by the hazard and random layouts aren't a problem if u don't plan out your every attack for every stage beforehand.
    Garden of Hope: Ban, Peckish Aristocrab kills at low percents.
    Halberd: Keep, other people have made the same argument I would make.
    Jungle Hijinx: Neutral, I personally don't find this one too bad, but others have their reasons.
    Kalos Pokemon League: Ban, Stage hazards in the steel and water areas are abusable and the fire and dragon areas are too disruptive.
    Norfair: Neutral, I personally like the stage and it isn't that hard to adapt, but the lava wave the forces you to hide in the capsule can lead to major killing points. (Both a pro and con.)
    PilotWings: Keep, It may suck to be a projectile user, but that is your own fault if u don't use anything else.
    Windy Hill Zone: Keep, Bumpers aren't that disruptive and the layout doesn't appear to favor anyone.
    Yoshi Island Melee: Keep, Central block pit of doom, is not nearly as bad as a lot of other hazards, just pay attention.

Before I can give my opinions on the walk off stages, can someone please tell me what is so bad about them?
    Well here is my take on a custom Signature in relation to the new character reveals in Smash. Except Sheik, Sheik had to be cut so I wouldn't block anyone off while using this as a facebook cover.

Super Smash Bros 3DS Bracket http://challonge.com/COMEONSTEPITUP Tournament now over. Bracket still available for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthTalon5 View Post
    Before I can give my opinions on the walk off stages, can someone please tell me what is so bad about them?
    this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboalt View Post
    Walkoffs are incredibly easy to get really cheap kills on. Camp at the edge, wait for a person to get near you, backthrow... dead at all of 10%. Push a person near there, use something that doesn't do a lot of knockback but still does some, yet another low percent kill. Walkoffs are incredibly cheap and if you play on them smartly, you get a lot of cheap kills.

I personally am not in favor of putting Gamer on the allowed stages. Did you know 5-Volt shows up on a easel and you only have a split second to react to it if it shows up in a completely random stage layout? Neither did I. I mean, if 5-Volt didn't show up on the stage and it was just random, I would be completely fine with it, but there are so many cases where whenever I play on that stage, the hazard kills everything that's happening or kills someone, like some people said.
    Last edited by Redandgreen43; April 11th, 2015 at 06:00 PM.

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Right, Gamer's random layout definitely causes problems as well. I think banning it would be good.

I dislike walk-offs as well, so I'd rather we get rid of those. lol as if I'll make it past the first round

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

I'll join this.

I'd support banning Gamer for most of the same reasons everyone else has mentioned, and also Windy Hill because the springs can easily auto-kill you when they spawn or if they're spinning. If they were ways you could actually avoid them it wouldn't be an issue, but it's pretty much a matter of whether you happen to be offstage at the wrong time. Pilotwings is fine, though (I think that's all the stages that are still being debated).

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

One more thing, I can't play on Saturdays. Hopefully that won't be a problem. Sunday's fine and I'm free every weekday at 5 PM Central time.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Blast, few days later and still haven't truly been able to test 2 of the 3 stages due to busy roommates 'n whatnot. Either way, still made my decisions on them.

Gamer is allowed. In all my testing I came across no absolutely major issues in any of the stage layouts. If 5Volt hits you, it's because you messed up, never have I experienced a hit caused by pure luck. She also tends to take her sweet time hitting you with an attack that can be sidestepped, rolldodged, airdodged, shielded or even double jumped over, making her very easy to avoid.
    All layouts also seem fine. Combo's under the ones with ceilings are hard to set up, easily teched out of and discouraged by 5Volt herself, as I found out the hard way. As for what Redandgreen said about the easel, I timed it, and it takes 5 seconds for 5Volt to launch her attack after she appears on it, making that no issue as well as long as you are observant.

Windy Hill I also did test a bit, and that one is getting banned. Trying to recover only to have it be denied by the bumper is about as fun and fair as getting killed under the bridge of Gerudo Desert or Garden of Hope as they reform. You basically die because the stage says '&&&& you'.

Pilot Wings I will allow though not having tested it. Most folks here seem in favour of it though, so what can possibly go wrong on that stage?

And with this, the stage voting thingy is over. They're still discussable, but if no major objections are made this is the stage list we'll be rolling with on monday.
    Rules are pretty set right now too. Only major thing remaining is, should we allow custom moves or not?

Edit: Oh right, I'm gonna join this after all~
    Last edited by Zant; April 15th, 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zant View Post
    And with this, the stage voting thingy is over. They're still discussable, but if no major objections are made this is the stage list we'll be rolling with on monday.
    Rules are pretty set right now too. Only major thing remaining is, should we allow custom moves or not?

Edit: Oh right, I'm gonna join this after all~
    Curious, are we gonna have a ref or something?

You know, like when people do an online tournament, a third guy comes in and watches the two competitors fight by suiciding all of his stocks and saving the replay? Or is that too much work for something like this? Also, I am against custom moves because again, not everyone has unlocked specific customs and they will be at a disadvantaged position.

I think we could trust the community enough not to lie about who wins and loses probably! Plus it'd be a pain to have to meet up with 3 people for every match... I don't know at least i trust you guys enough to tell the truth :P

Not sure what we'd do if one person is lying though... well they could always save a replay i guess
    I might forget to though...

Forum Moderator

I have the best way to prevent liars - I'll just ban anyone who decides to say "no I won even though I got destroyed in like 5 straight matches and kept demanding rematches".

So in case anyone here is stupid enough to consider that? Well, there you go.

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

I always feel awkward whenever someone demands a rematch. Then if I beat them again, it makes the feeling worse...
    To me, it just doesn't feel right. Or polite, for that matter.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboalt View Post
    I have the best way to prevent liars - I'll just ban anyone who decides to say "no I won even though I got destroyed in like 5 straight matches and kept demanding rematches".

So in case anyone here is stupid enough to consider that? Well, there you go.
    Haha, there's good old Boalt with his grade A sense of humor!

Y-You're not joking are you

But seriously @RedandGreen, no one lied last time, I think we're good. I'm pretty excited for this tourney despite my less than great performance last time. Hopefully we won't get any lag. I think my Internet should be fine, generally it's good enough for Smash.

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

Yeah, there weren't any conflicts with reporting results in the last tournament, so I don't think that's an issue (I mean, these tournaments are purely for fun, so nobody really has any incentive to be dishonest anyway). And of course you can always save replays if you're really worried about it.

As for customs, I probably won't use them much myself but I'm fine with allowing them.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

Okay, this definitely looks fun! I guess you can sign me up.

...probably should warn ya, though, I have a hilariously irregular sleeping schedule, so I might not be able play at any point of time between 6-8 A.M. and 3-5 P.M. Other than that, I should be good.

As for what to do about custom moves...hmm. Not sure...

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).
    Spoiler: a few Miiverse drawings. :) 
    "I'm going to be disgustingly famous one day. You've been warned."
    ~Klonoa, Tomodachi Life

I created a CYOA and all I got was this lousy link.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

Guess then I'll join, too. 21 Isn't exactly a nice round number... and For Final Destination Glory gets boring.

Oh, and about the Wuhu Island instakill glitch? Seems to have been fixed in the newest update. Though quite frankly, I don't really think the glitch alone should've warranted a ban in the first place.
    Last edited by Taigiry; April 17th, 2015 at 11:20 AM.

I just remembered, there's this glitch the corrupts your save data or something if you use Mewtwo in single player modes and go online. I played Classic and All Star as him so I may have triggered the glitch. Nintendo's working on a patch though, so hopefully it'll become available before this tourney starts.

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    I just remembered, there's this glitch the corrupts your save data or something if you use Mewtwo in single player modes and go online. I played Classic and All Star as him so I may have triggered the glitch. Nintendo's working on a patch though, so hopefully it'll become available before this tourney starts.
    I believe that was just Multiman smash or maybe stadium modes, I've used Mewtwo in both classic and all-star but had no problems online, it sounds like the problem is in multiman smash, but yeah if you still wanna wait I'd understand. But I'm pretty sure classic and all-star are fine...

EDIT: But yeah if Nintendo takes too long and anyone here is suffering from the glitch, we'll have to delay the tournament...

So just a PSA: Stay away from multiman smash (or probably any stadium modes) with Mewtwo!
    Last edited by PowerMiner; April 17th, 2015 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigiry View Post
    Guess then I'll join, too. 21 Isn't exactly a nice round number... and For Final Destination Glory gets boring.

Oh, and about the Wuhu Island instakill glitch? Seems to have been fixed in the newest update. Though quite frankly, I don't really think the glitch alone should've warranted a ban in the first place.
    Your link doesn't actually link to anything, FYI.
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

Thread Information