Thread: Last Connection

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Last Connection

In a long conference room, two men were sitting across from each other. Each wore a stern expression on their face, and the air between them suggested they were in the middle of an argument. The older of the two gentlemen appeared to be in his seventies, and was dressed in a neatly-pressed grey pinstripe suit. He was a thin man, with bony cheekbones, which only added to an intimidating appearance, especially when paired with a pair of sharp grey eyes and strong chin. The younger gentleman was in his forties, and was much softer in his build than the older man. He had a slight bulge to his belly, with a round face. As opposed to the strict fashion sense of his senior, he was wearing a simple white dress shirt, with black trousers held up by a similarly-colored pair of suspenders. A bowtie was unfurled around his neck.

The two men had taken a brief pause in their debate, and were now shifting through various papers. At last, they could not ignore their thoughts any further, and the younger man looked up and said in an irritated tone, "Mr. Rivers, this experiment could destroy us!"

"Not just us," reminded Mr. Rivers, "But most of civilization as we know it."

"All the more reason to abandon this project," the younger man said, barely stopping himself from shouting. "If anyone were to figure out that we were directly behind this, it's not just your neck at risk, either!"

"And yet, Mr. White," Mr. Rivers growled, a sneer slowly appearing on his face, "You were an avid supporter of the plan when I first mentioned it to you. Not only that, you were an active role in getting everything prepared. Why did you do this? Because, like me, you believe that our goals are worth dying for. Do not let doubt cloud your mind now!"

As the words echoes faded, there was a pause in the room as neither man spoke for several long moments. Mr. White, finally finding his voice, said, "Yes... I know it's worth it... Please forgive my doubts. I just fear the consequences if we fail."

"Everyone involved in this project does. There isn't a man alive who doesn't fear death. But the ends justify the means."

-----------------------------

"In the middle of the 25th century, Simon Ellington discovered an energy source that surpassed both solar and wind energy in cost and output. Ellington's new batteries were able to last for decades without interruption. As the cost of energy lowered dramatically, the few remaining undeveloped countries of Earth were able to reach the levels of the developed nations. As utopia in each country approached, humanity was at last able to turn their eyes to the skies above, not as a series of countries in competition, but as a single species."

"Space engineering grew to unprecedented heights. By the 28th century, we established our first colony in a different solar system. And now, in the year 3150, I, and everyone here stand on the planet Terran IV. Before humanity arrived, it was a barren planet, unable to support life, ignored by all other life forms."

"Look at us now, everyone! Not only are we thriving, but our global communications network will soon be complete! We can finally prepare for any others who wish to live here!"

Every man, woman, and child on Terran IV had to watch this video of a president from nearly 200 years ago appeal to opening immigration. Now, in the year 3347, the speech has shown to be effective. Around 20% of the population of Terran IV is non-human, with increasing immigration rates by the year.

Welcome, everyone, to:
    Last Connection

Let's talk about our setting.
    Terran IV is a planet that previously had methane seas and little-to-no atmosphere. Humanity was able to make it thrive, and now Terran IV is similar to Earth, with sweeping grasslands and forests. Of course, there are still some deserts and craggy areas, but they are in the south of the main continent.

Spoiler: Terran IV World Map 

Ignoring the fact that I'm terrible at drawing things, you will notice there are five countries placed on the map.
    • Ellson - A forested country with several large cities, including the capital of Terran IV, Abernon. Ellson is the most populated of the countries, with small towns in the south, and metropolises in the north.
    • Garnlo - Sweeping grasslands slowly turn into deserts as one heads south, though there are numerous irrigation projects to reduce the deserts' size. Being the harshest environment to live in, most of the planetary immigrants ultimately find themselves living here.
    • Mergot - With forests to the south, and small mountain ranges to the north, Mergot has the fewest residents. Most military bases on Terran IV are located here, with cities of various size growing around the base.
    • Pardona - Pardona is the technological capital of Terran IV. Nearly all electronic products come from this country. Having only a few hundred thousand more residents than Mergot, Pardona has few residents, but many workers who commute into the country through daily flights.
    • Great Pargot Bridge - Despite being under intense military security, many criminals, homeless families, and refugees dwell in the tunnels under the bridge, never seeing the light of day. The bridge is several hundred miles long.

The following are the races that inhabit Terran IV:
    • Human - The standard earthling. They haven't changed from our own time in 2015. They inhabit every country, though many prefer Ellson and Mergot.
    • Manamoe - Small humanoids that are no taller than 4' 2", and have a greenish tint to their skins. Most of them are slightly overweight, but there are many who are skinnier. They are close to the land, and prefer to live on farms or in small cottages in the forest. Occasionally, they venture into larger cities in an attempt to convert a community to be more Terran IV-friendly.
    • Presmun - Members of this race appear similar to a large blue salamander. They prefer a humid atmosphere, and often live in climate controlled cities in Ellson, and Pardona, though some venture into the tunnels of the Great Pargot Bridge
    • Allidarti - The race most similar to humans. The only main differences between human and allidarti are their pale red skin and golden eyes. Very few leave their posh lives in their original empire, but those who do inhabit the large cities of Ellson and manage businesses in Pardona

Where do you, the players, come in?

Every character will be starting in one of the towns/cities in Ellson (a map will provided shortly). Despite this, your character is allowed to be from any city in any country you wish. You will notice, of course, that there are no labeled cities on my map of Terran IV. If you desire to have your character to be from another nation, you can copy the map image, and place a marker where the city is located, as well as the following description points:
    Spoiler: City Requirements 

Of course, you may choose to come from the same city as another player, if you both agree to it.

Let's move onto Ellson.

Spoiler: Ellson Map 

With that being said:
    At the start of the RP, your character will wake up in one of the 4 cities of Ellson (one they were visiting, or live in), and they will soon discover every inhabitant in the city is gone. Of course, no one will understand what is happening, as hundreds of millions of people generally don't disappear overnight. Within time, though, they will discover that they can still connect to the internet with a myriad of devices that are powered by the aforementioned long-lasting battery. Not only that, but the internet connection that they have will last for the duration of the RP. After a certain point shortly after the start of the RP, you will be join a message board where the other participants await discussion.

This brings us to our next point:
    There are two "phases" in this RP. At first, everyone will be separated into the four towns labeled in Ellson. Their only form of communication with each other will be over the message board. In this first "phase," the players' posts will be as though they are the ones making the posts. An example post:

Hey guys, I just came back from hunting some deer. Sorry for not posting in a while. I'm still here...
    Of course, be sure to follow the minimum requirements for the Arena.

Over time, it's likely the players will meet up at some location, at which point they will be able to act in real life. Once a group is formed, their actions in the real world will be written in the conventional third-person form, where their actions will be detailed, including speaking with other players they are in a group with.

Progression through in-game time will be treated as the same in real life (so one day in real life is a day in-game, as is an hour, two hours, etc.). The exceptions here are: a) if there more than 48 hours between posts, and for this purpose, the time progression will be considered to only have been three hours and, b) if your character needs to give a quick response to another player's character in the game's real world, the time will be treated accordingly.

Will this ragtag group of "survivors" be able to survive in the now-empty world? Will they be able to solve the mystery of where everyone went? Only time will tell...

Now that you're done reading all that...

Spoiler: Character Application Form 

I am ready for any questions and concerns.

And now that we have two approvals...

Sign-ups end on March 31, the end of the month. Feel free to PM/VM me your application, or you can post it here if you so wish.
    Last edited by SSBBrawler; March 10th, 2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Updating Manamoe, and including a for-realsies deadline

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Re: Last Connection

I love the idea of the RP, but some things don't add up:

Your opening paragraph and your 'presidential speech' don't really add up. I'm assuming more information will come in as players participate, but not enough background has been given to make the proper connection between points 1 and 2.

Also, you haven't really stated a plot. As far as I can tell, everyone but a select few has vanished from Terran IV unexpectedly. The few who are left don't know why and must communicate with each other to solve this mystery. This is what I've gathered although you don't come outright and state this. How close am I? Also on that note, is the year 3350 ish? You state a year of 3150 and then say that date was 200 years old, so I just assumed.

There's plenty of intrigue. I'd like just a little more info still, however.
    Last edited by Pikanator; February 19th, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

Quote Originally Posted by Pikanator View Post
    Your opening paragraph and your 'presidential speech' don't really add up. I'm assuming more information will come in as players participate, but not enough background has been given to make the proper connection between points 1 and 2.
    The opening paragraph will pertain more meaning later on in the plot. Right now, I can't say much more without spoiling a large part of the plot. The president's speech and the events in the opening part are unrelated to each other.

Also, you haven't really stated a plot. As far as I can tell, everyone but a select few has vanished from Terran IV unexpectedly. The few who are left don't know why and must communicate with each other to solve this mystery. This is what I've gathered although you don't come outright and state this. How close am I?
    Spot on. I apologize for not making this more clear, but at the beginning, no one will understand what is happening, just that the vast majority of the population are missing.

Also on that note, is the year 3350 ish? You state a year of 3150 and then say that date was 200 years old, so I just assumed.
    Again, you would be correct, the story takes place in the middle of the 34th century.

Well, you know I don't need to tell ya, but make sure you make the date bluntly clear and state the misty plot as understandable as possible.

Expect a character from me later. Kinda busy at the current.

The post has been updated with a few minor edits, making sure to mention the date, and the starting point of the RP.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Goodness, it's been almost two weeks. I hope my negligence hasn't caused you to lose your drive for this, since it looks to be a godo RP. The amount of effort shows and that's more than enough.

I'll approve it. And HAY OTHER PEOPEL JOIN THIS RP

Approvals: 1/2

I'm still planning to run this. I've just been busy these last few weeks, so haven't really been able to bother keep up with the Lord and Lady of the Arena.
    Last edited by SSBBrawler; March 9th, 2015 at 10:36 PM.

Spoiler: Zaraus 

SaltySword, Pickled Music Lover BrineBlade's Avatar

Spoiler: Keith 

I derped, and forgot that putting a deadline for signing up before it's fully approved was a terrible idea. Sign-up deadline removed until further notice.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

hi yes I'M BAD and i hope i haven't delayed this too much, but i like the idea of an rp about a forum a lot
    perhaps you could make the early posts a mix of post-like posts (ugh sorry for wording) and more conventional third-person stuff, and i think manamoes need a slightly more fleshed-out description, but other than that i'm on board

Approvals: 2/2

And now that we have two approvals...

Sign-ups end on March 31, the end of the month. Feel free to PM/VM me your application, or you can post it here if you so wish. *gives a thumbs up of creativity*

Sooooooo... It's April 1, meaning the character application deadline is done. At this moment, there are only two character applications, and someone is currently working on one.

With that in mind, do you guys want to go ahead and do this RP now (that is, after the third person submits his application), or should extend the due date a little and we all try to rope some others in and have a more usual number of 5-6? Alternatively, I can make my own character, but I would prefer avoiding to do so if at all possible.

I'm ok with either decision, but honestly it may be best to wait for another person or two and/or the late submission. I could also throw another character into the ring if that would help any, but your call on that.

Mm, I'd say wait one day or two for any stragglers, you know? Like, I'm tryin to get one or two folks to join.

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

I actually wrote this for the most part shortly after the RP was posted, and promptly forgot about it until Kiwi poked me about it yesterday.

Spoiler: Button Gwinnett XVI 
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

Thread Information