Thread: A Cult of Personality RP

Banned

A Cult of Personality RP

First, the rules.
    1. Nobody can be perfect. That means no Mary Sues/Gary Stus. That will make this exciting RP boring.
    2. No game-breaking weaponry. Nobody can grow huge, either.
    3. No magic allowed. This is because the actual SFM series has no magic either, aside from the Legion, but they don't appear much,and they don't show up here.
    4. You cannot play as yourself. You have to pick one of several characters:
    Good Guys: Fem-Scout (taken by me), Engineer, Scout, Medic, Fem-Sniper, Sniper, Pyro, Heavy, Engineer, Demoman, Spy, Soldier
    oWn: Fem-Scout, Engineer, Scout, Medic, Sniper, Pyro, Heavy, Engineer, Demoman, Spy, Soldier
    5. Death cannot be permanent, as with the series, and in fact you must say you have respawned the next time you post.
    6. Nobody is allowed to pick a character who is already taken, so there are only 20 slots to choose from.
    7. The RP starts when everyone has selected a character.
    Now, let's get to the plot.
    oWn is running rampant all over Turbine, and they're trying to assimilate the Fem-Sniper. With everyone on the good team's help, we can push them back. The goal of this RP to make it well worth reading is that, by the time we reach 100 pages, we have won more matches than oWn, but they also have to have won some matches. Remember, we are not Mary Stus.

Cult of Personality is (C) LoneWolfHBS. You can find his channel on YouTube!
    Last edited by Lemme Take a DreamSelfy; December 31st, 2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Copyright Issues

Banned

Re: A Cult of Personality RP

Well...?

I know what'll make them join!

Five Nights at Freddy's.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

To start off, I will state that I don't really know anything about Cult of Personality. That being said, you make a lot of assumptions about what we, the applicants, know. Yes, people signing up should have a basic idea of what the series is about, but having some sort of background of the world the series takes place in makes it more accessible to those who have not yet experienced much of the series. What exactly caused the conflict between the "good guys" and "oWn?" Who exactly are "oWn," and why are the "good guys" trying to stop them? You also mention something called the "Legion," and that sounds pretty villainous. As your current post stands, I still don't know anything about the world the RP takes place in. Provide at least the groundwork of the world the RP is taking place in, even if it is redundant to those familiar with the series.

Ignoring the brevity of your rules (some of which aren't really rules), the first two are already rules of the Arena, so it seems a bit redundant to say it. After that, you say "no magic," which seems a bit bizarre, since magic isn't usually a thing in TF2 (ignoring the Scream Fortress 2 event). It seems like an obvious thing that shouldn't be mentioned. But then in your follow-up statement, you say that the original series does feature magic through some entity called the Legion, but you don't explain anything about it and assume the reader already knows what you're talking about. This is a bit of a running trend with your submission, you seem to be under the impression that everyone has seen this series and that you don't have to explain a single thing. This is a terrible assumption to make. Even if everyone has seen this series, no one is able to read your mind about what you want to happen with this RP. How are we going to be playing our characters? Is this more combat-driven or character-driven? How does the combat work (how do we perform actions, and who is in charge of the results)? Is there PVP? I'm assuming there is, because you make sure to specify there are two teams: the "good guys," and "oWn." Again, I have no idea who oWn is, so some explanation about them would be nice without having to go watch the series this RP is about. If there is PVP, who's in charge of the results of the actions on the opposing team? Are the people being attacked entirely responsible for taking the damage/evading the attack, or are you, as the GM, going to be the one determining the effectiveness of the attack. If you are going to be doing the latter, are you sure you'll be able to play your own character/team fairly? I bring this up because you clearly want the "good guys" to win when you said the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemme Take a DreamSelfy View Post
    With everyone on the good team's help, we can push them back. The goal of this RP to make it well worth reading is that, by the time we reach 100 pages, we have won more matches than oWn, but they also have to have won some matches.
    In addition to this, why is the Fem-Sniper so important to be the only target of assimilation? If you are going to go with this route, at least provide some sort of explanation of why this character is more important than 11 other players.

Anyway, you say that oWn is running rampant, but looking at the list of classes in each team, I'm not sure how we're supposed to tell the characters apart. In TF2, there's really no difference between RED and BLU classes aside from the color of shirt they wear. This works in a game, which is all about visual elements on the screen as you play. However, RPs aren't like that, everything is text-based. For this reason, it's not unreasonable to see some confusion later on down the road where you can't tell which team's, say, Scout just did an action. This is just one of the problems with not having any sort of character application form. I would also like to point out that a 20-person RP is going to be a nightmare to manage if you don't take this seriously and have a solid game plan for this RP.

How does respawning work? I understand that it goes from "Oh, I'm dead," to "Hey, I'm alive," and I get that it's referencing TF2 being nonchalant about people dying and coming back. However, there needs to be some clarification here. Is there any sort of time limit the dead user has to wait before posting again (for example, one hour in real-time, or three in-game posts?), or are they able to immediately respawn and return to the conflict to the point that death affected literally nothing.

Banned

Go to LoneWolfHBS's channel and watch some of his Cult of Personality videos. Or, look it up on TVTropes.

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Go to LoneWolfHBS's channel and watch some of his Cult of Personality videos. Or, look it up on TVTropes.
    It doesn't help an ignorant RPer to go to the Tropes or a Youtube channel to find out information regarding an RP. It's better for all parties involved if necessary information on background and general rules is spoon-fed rather than just going by the assumption everyone knows what to do.

Even if one reads the TVTropes page and watches the Youtube videos, certain mechanics aren't explained that are vital to RP's function or so I assume. As SSBBrawler has stated, certain things need to be detailed even before a plot can arise.

- There will be respawning just as TF2 works. The details of how a character should respawn are unclear. Is it instantaneous without much mention or otherwise?
    - The TVTropes mention nothing about a Fem-Sniper. If this RP is based off a video series, then how does Fem-Sniper play into this all?
    - How exactly will the combat system work? Nowhere do you mention how fighting will play out. There's a train of thought that if two RPers shoot each other, both will dodge and shoot again, creating a loop of nothing getting done without someone playing god eventually (which is illegal in The Arena). Do you have a system in place to prevent this?
    - Is there a way of depicting similar characters between teams? I assume everyone will have the name of their class (Sniper's name is effectively Sniper), but is there any other way to identify certain players?
    - The plot itself: oWn is trying to get Fem-Sniper to join them. Your RP is going to be at least 100 pages of winning and losing battles surrounding this Fem-Sniper? Is there any other plot, or does this basically cover it?
    - How will locations work? Or do you plan on all 100 pages of this RP to take place in Turbine?
    - Will there just be battles, or plots surrounding characters? If character-driven plots are to be big, you'll have to put a system in place in order for potential RPers to know what they can and can't do.
    - Are the good guys composed solely of either Red of Blu team, or are they a mix of both? This goes back to differentiating characters.
    - You need to tell us more about oWn. What is their goal. Who are they? Sure, you can find this out from the Tropes and whatsnot, but you need to give the player a definite explanation on all matters.
    - How would potential assimilation work? Would they capture Fem-Sniper or would she, for some reason, just want to join oWn if they won too many battles?
    - 20 character slots is a lot. It's hard to host that many people at once; not everyone will hold up their end of the plot-bargain and drop out mid-way. You might want to rethink this number of people so that it is both more manageable and your plot will actually get completed by a handful of people who devote themselves.

The list goes on and on. You, the host of this RP, need to specify every aspect of this RP before you get interested parties to join. Just telling your potential RPers, and the Lord of The Arena, to "read some information ok lets go" won't work; you need to tell us everything we will need to know for the best success possible.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Thanks to SSBBrawler and Pikanator for saying some thing I agree with.

I believe only a few things really need to be addressed. If we take this to be an RP without any real twists, there's not much need to explain how combat would work and the like it can all be felt out and should be self-explanatory.

RP propositions should come with a basic explanation of the story and setting. That's the main thing this is lacking. Now, this is based off of a webseries, which is in turn based off of TF2. TF2's big enough that even a complete outsider like me knows enough about it that I could join an RP of it. However, since this is based on a more obscure webseries, you'll have to explain the RP's background. What exactly these two sides are, why they're fighting, where they're fighting, and if there's anything different from the TF2 world most people will expect.

This looks like it boils down to good guys vs. bad guys, and that's really quite fine. To be blunt, this community is rather drained and RPs were a small part of it to begin with. If an RP's going to hook in anyone, much less 20 people, it's going to have to at least come with the basic explanations standardized by the Proving Grounds intro thread, which I suggest you review.

Beyond that, it's certainly true that there's all RPs undoubtedly have some rules specific to them.This can usually be covered with some outlined rules and a sign-up template. For example, maybe the sign-up comes with a "weapons" section to make sure someone doesn't pull a convenient piece of equipment out of nowhere. It can be quite simple, really.

In summary, and to give an easy template, try making and detailing sections for plot, setting, rules, and example sign-ups. If sufficient, that alone should cover it for being approved.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pikanator View Post
    It doesn't help an ignorant RPer to go to the Tropes or a Youtube channel to find out information regarding an RP. It's better for all parties involved if necessary information on background and general rules is spoon-fed rather than just going by the assumption everyone knows what to do.

Even if one reads the TVTropes page and watches the Youtube videos, certain mechanics aren't explained that are vital to RP's function or so I assume. As SSBBrawler has stated, certain things need to be detailed even before a plot can arise.

- There will be respawning just as TF2 works. The details of how a character should respawn are unclear. Is it instantaneous without much mention or otherwise?
    - The TVTropes mention nothing about a Fem-Sniper. If this RP is based off a video series, then how does Fem-Sniper play into this all?
    - How exactly will the combat system work? Nowhere do you mention how fighting will play out. There's a train of thought that if two RPers shoot each other, both will dodge and shoot again, creating a loop of nothing getting done without someone playing god eventually (which is illegal in The Arena). Do you have a system in place to prevent this?
    - Is there a way of depicting similar characters between teams? I assume everyone will have the name of their class (Sniper's name is effectively Sniper), but is there any other way to identify certain players?
    - The plot itself: oWn is trying to get Fem-Sniper to join them. Your RP is going to be at least 100 pages of winning and losing battles surrounding this Fem-Sniper? Is there any other plot, or does this basically cover it?
    - How will locations work? Or do you plan on all 100 pages of this RP to take place in Turbine?
    - Will there just be battles, or plots surrounding characters? If character-driven plots are to be big, you'll have to put a system in place in order for potential RPers to know what they can and can't do.
    - Are the good guys composed solely of either Red of Blu team, or are they a mix of both? This goes back to differentiating characters.
    - You need to tell us more about oWn. What is their goal. Who are they? Sure, you can find this out from the Tropes and whatsnot, but you need to give the player a definite explanation on all matters.
    - How would potential assimilation work? Would they capture Fem-Sniper or would she, for some reason, just want to join oWn if they won too many battles?
    - 20 character slots is a lot. It's hard to host that many people at once; not everyone will hold up their end of the plot-bargain and drop out mid-way. You might want to rethink this number of people so that it is both more manageable and your plot will actually get completed by a handful of people who devote themselves.

The list goes on and on. You, the host of this RP, need to specify every aspect of this RP before you get interested parties to join. Just telling your potential RPers, and the Lord of The Arena, to "read some information ok lets go" won't work; you need to tell us everything we will need to know for the best success possible.
    1. Umm... It's just how TF2 works.
    2. She 1st appeared in CoP short #2. And the oWn Fem-Scout actually really likes her. It's like a mother-daughter relationship, only the daughter figure here is part of the bad guys.
    3. It's like an RPG. One character makes an attack, hopes to Gaben that it'll connect, and some damage is given to the guy they hit. Also, everyone will have the amount of HP the classes they're playing as has (i.e. a Heavy player has 300 HP, a Soldier player has 200, etc.).
    4. You just have to write in the color text your team represents. Like this. And you have to write in a font that you think will represent your character. Like, the Fem-Scout (taken up by me) will have text relating to her looking a bit like... This.
    5. Never mind what I said there. The plot is, oWn is trying to assimilate EVERYONE, and they're just starting with the Fem-Sniper. If we hit 100 victories (loss count doesn't really matter, so long as it's at least a lower number than 100), then we can consider this RP a happy ending. If oWn wins 100 times, then the rest of the RP will have to consist of the oWn assimilating each and every one of us, ONE BY ONE. I'll have to lock this topic, and start ALL over, from page 1.
    6. I think I'll have some parts take place in Dustbowl, others will be in 2fort, but at least 72% of it is going to be in Turbine.
    7. 6 of the good guys are on the Red team (8 if Fem-Classes count). The ones on the Blue team are the Fem-Medic (forgot to add her), Sniper, Spy, and Soldier.
    8. oWn is an evil organization that basically acts as a parallel to the good guys, with their personalities retained after defection (i.e. oWn Scout is still as cocky and loudmouthed as ever, oWn Heavy still likes to shoot his minigun). Also, if you like wrestling, you may have heard of nWo. THOSE guys are basically wrestling heels, and some of oWn's members have one of the nWo boys' personality. The acronyms of the 2 troupes are just reversals of one another. Besides, LoneWolfHBS doesn't even think there's a morality to any of this.
    9. It would go like this: "x character assimilates y character." And about the Fem-Sniper, it's entirely unclear as to whether or not she'd WILLINGLY join. She's on the Red team, but she hangs out with
    (and presumably dates)
    the oWn Fem-Scout.
    10. I COMPLETELY forgot to take that into consideration. I'll have 10 people join, each one taking up a slot for each side that matches the other slot, except for one last person, who'll be taking up the slots for the Fem-Sniper and the Fem-Medic. That means, since I already took up the Fem-Scout's slot, I have to take up the oWn Fem-Sout's slot as well.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

1. Umm... It's just how TF2 works.
    Except this isn't TF2. This isn't a video game. This is a text-based game, and as the host, you need to explain how these rules happen. In TF2, it's obvious that you have to wait for x amount of seconds to respawn, but there's no obvious feedback here.
    2. She 1st appeared in CoP short #2. And the oWn Fem-Scout actually really likes her. It's like a mother-daughter relationship, only the daughter figure here is part of the bad guys.
    Ok, so why is the entirety of oWn after fem-Sniper, if only one member of their party wants her?
    3. It's like an RPG. One character makes an attack, hopes to Gaben that it'll connect, and some damage is given to the guy they hit. Also, everyone will have the amount of HP the classes they're playing as has (i.e. a Heavy player has 300 HP, a Soldier player has 200, etc.).
    Who determines if an attack connects? Is that going to be controlled by you, or is it up to the players? If you're going to implement HP, explain how damage dealing will work.
    5. Never mind what I said there. The plot is, oWn is trying to assimilate EVERYONE, and they're just starting with the Fem-Sniper. If we hit 100 victories (loss count doesn't really matter, so long as it's at least a lower number than 100), then we can consider this RP a happy ending. If oWn wins 100 times, then the rest of the RP will have to consist of the oWn assimilating each and every one of us, ONE BY ONE. I'll have to lock this topic, and start ALL over, from page 1.
    What do you mean by assimilate? Do they do brainwashing through some means that is impossible to break out of? Do they merely convince the others to join their side? Explain these things. Also, if you're going to end the RP at 100 wins, how long are the battles going to take, since 100 rounds of combat (minimum!) is going to take some time.
    8. oWn is an evil organization that basically acts as a parallel to the good guys, with their personalities retained after defection (i.e. oWn Scout is still as cocky and loudmouthed as ever, oWn Heavy still likes to shoot his minigun). Also, if you like wrestling, you may have heard of nWo. THOSE guys are basically wrestling heels, and some of oWn's members have one of the nWo boys' personality. The acronyms of the 2 troupes are just reversals of one another. Besides, LoneWolfHBS doesn't even think there's a morality to any of this.
    When did wrestling get involved in this?
    9. It would go like this: "x character assimilates y character." And about the Fem-Sniper, it's entirely unclear as to whether or not she'd WILLINGLY join. She's on the Red team, but she hangs out with
    (and presumably dates)
    the oWn Fem-Scout.
    This only brings up more questions about assimilation, and whether it's complete brainwashing, or if everyone's just being persuaded. If it's the latter, there will be people who will never go to the other side, just because they're stubborn mules.

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    4. You just have to write in the color text your team represents. Like this. And you have to write in a font that you think will represent your character. Like, the Fem-Scout (taken up by me) will have text relating to her looking a bit like... This.
    If characters on different teams, like in TF2, are virtually the same, then the least you can do is create character bios for each character so that potential RPers can select each character after reading and understanding the personalities of these pre-created characters. Also, seeing as there are some characters not within the TF2 universe, you need to solidify their personalities; you named three at the very least: Fem-Scout, Fem-Medic, and Fem-Sniper. I understand that you will be Fem-Scout, but you need to give your own character a bio so that a personality is understood.

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemme Take a DreamSelfy
    5. The plot is, oWn is trying to assimilate EVERYONE, and they're just starting with the Fem-Sniper. If we hit 100 victories (loss count doesn't really matter, so long as it's at least a lower number than 100), then we can consider this RP a happy ending. If oWn wins 100 times, then the rest of the RP will have to consist of the oWn assimilating each and every one of us, ONE BY ONE. I'll have to lock this topic, and start ALL over, from page 1.
    Basic understanding: oWn wants to assimilate EVERYONE on both Red and Blu teams. To do this, TF2-style battles will take place. If RPers reach 100 wins, then some good ending will happen. There's still more questions left by this basic understanding:

1) Who Are oWn. Explain this in your words.
    2)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler
    Who determines if an attack connects? Is that going to be controlled by you, or is it up to the players? If you're going to implement HP, explain how damage dealing will work.
    3) Location. Turbine, 2Fort, Dustbowl ... You'll need to physically describe all of these places for your target audience. In detail too: where things are, where players spawn and respawn, locations of objective points.
    4) Will all battles be Capture the Intelligence? If so, describe how these battles will work. If not, you need to specify what sort of battles will happen and how winning will be gauged.

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lemme Take a DreamSelfy
    She [Fem-Sniper] 1st appeared in CoP short #2. And the oWn Fem-Scout actually really likes her. It's like a mother-daughter relationship, only the daughter figure here is part of the bad guys.
    Ok, so why is the entirety of oWn after fem-Sniper, if only one member of their party wants her?
    It is my understanding that Fem-Scout is attached to Fem-Sniper in a sort of maternal way. Fem-Scout would specifically like Fem-Sniper to join oWn, but oWn in general would like EVERYONE to assimilate. is this correct? If so, you need to add this bit of info.

~~~

One last thing: once you have all the needed information piled up in various posts, you will need to create a comprehensive 'title page' for your RP. I would recommend checking out other RPs to see how their title pages look and model yours off of one. A title page neatly collects all information into one space and looks a lot cleaner than info everywhere. This is my suggestion, your choice if you want to do something as such.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Sorry I got here so late, just moved interstate and still won't have access to a computer with Internet for another day or so.

But yeah, basically what everyone else said. You're not only going to need to explain everything, but also scale it down - 20 players is a lot, 100 battles/rounds/pages is a lot - so I think those should be some pretty essential first steps. Making people play two characters each also isn't necessarily the best solution; almost all the RPs we've had here have stuck to one character per person (the only exceptions I can recall being BitF City, Dimension Clash and their spinoffs, which I would argue are comprehensively different anyway).
    Colour-coded text is also somewhat frowned upon here, and adding different fonts into the mix definitely feels like a little too much. So yeah.

Banned

Umm...

I guess its up to the player on the attack connecting.

Also, the assimilation is somewhat persuasion-brainwashing, and battles will be straight-up battles. And, the players will know what Turbine, Dustbowl, and 2fort look like. I also have the part where oWn just wants EVERYONE to join, and their Fem-Scout just wants the Fem-Sniper.

Infinite Energy Powering Nothing Yggdrasil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemme Take A DreamSelfy
    I guess its up to the player on the attack connecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikanator
    There's a train of thought that if two RPers shoot each other, both will dodge and shoot again, creating a loop of nothing getting done without someone playing god eventually (which is illegal in The Arena). Do you have a system in place to prevent this?
    If you're going to implement HP [and an attacking system], explain how damage dealing will work.
    RPs in which players deal damage to each other can work two ways: either players 'hurt each other and physical harm is described', or there is an elaborate health system accompanied by a system of attack points, or strength, followed by defense points ... Etc. The way you describe things, it sounds like maybe you don't need a point-stat system like DnD, but you're going to need to describe each character's relative stats with enough detail that players know how damage will work.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; January 7th, 2015 at 07:06 AM.
    Fate in life ever changing
    Ever gaining; ever loosing
    Ever rising; ever falling
    A swirling tide upon the seas of time

Ever coming; ever going
    Ever smiling; ever frowning
    Such are the moments of life
    And ever onward the tide of time swirls
    Ad infinitum

Thread Information