5 18.52%
  • Nintendo 3DS

5 18.52%
  • GameCube Controller

16 59.26%
  • Wii U Fight Pad Controller

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What controller do you use for Wii U?

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

What controller do you use for Wii U?

I want to buy a Wii U soon, but I haven't seen any stores with a GameCube Controller Adapter in stock. So, since I'm going to be stuck playing Smash Bros 4 Wii U with something else, I'd like to see what preferences you guys have.

Oh, and since this thread here was used for Brawl, I figured we could use a new thread for Smash Bros 4 Wii U and all the new controller options.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Re: What controller do you use for Wii U?

I generally stick to GCN controllers, just because I'm so used to them. However, in a pinch, I find the Wii U Pro Controllers work just as well. It just takes some time getting used the "c-stick" being higher, and a slightly different button layout for the ABXY buttons. However, neither are game breakers. In a super pinch, the GamePad works as a slightly more uncomfortable Pro Controller, and still works fine.

That being said, if you're used to the 3DS version, and don't really care about c-stick, you can always just use the 3DS.

I personally use what's coming to me, you know? Plus, I'm actually pretty good with the wii u gamepad. Be warned, though. If you want to quit a game, you have to press L+R+Y+START. That's very hard to pull off, and very unneeded. I usually have to put my nose on the start button. The 3ds is my second favorite option, because I played SSB43DS quite a bit, so it's nice to bring the controller skills over.

My Wiimote + Nunchuk setup from Brawl doesn't seem to work as well in SSB4. Maybe it's the way the mechanics have changed, but putting up shields and pulling off Smash attacks is very difficult in these games for me. I'd get up from a ledge or just land on the ground, then press my Shield button to try and block/dodge incoming attacks... but nothing happens. I can even move as I'm holding down the Shield button!

As far as Smash attacks go, the game thinks I'm instead doing tilt attacks at least 70% of the time. Maybe I just need to get used to how the new mechanics work, but I'm at a huge disadvantage right now.

All that said, I finally tried out using my 3DS XL as a controller last night. And I gotta say, it's really freaking good! I can see hand cramps happening more often if you use the regular 3DS (especially if you have giant man hands), but the XL is pretty comfortable for me.

Alas, I'm quite disappointed that this option is severely limited to local multiplayer Smash. Unless I missed some other option somewheres...

I guess I could give the Gamepad a try sometime, but that thing gets dirty too easily because of my sweaty palms... ugh.

Twitch / YouTube / Livestream (old)
    Yoshistar Galaxy - Streaming good ol' Nintendo shenanigans for all to watch and enjoy!

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

Well I don't have the WiiU version, but as soon as the adapter restocks (Heard a rumour it restocks on Walmart and Amazon on December 4th!) I plan to get the Gamecube controller adapter.

I think both the WiiU Pro and Gamecube are gonna be my choices on controllers this time around... In brawl I mostly used a sideways wiimote... This is going to be so much better on my poor thumbs xD
    I think back on my Brawl newb days fondly, though...

So yeah, WiiU Pro or Gamecube controller are the best options in my opinion. The gamepad is always a fine choice too, though.

Can't say I know anything about other controller choices though.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

I've been using the Wiimote+Nunchuk since Brawl and that carried over here.
    Least I don't have to worry about scrambling for an adaptor, but I feel like the wireless lag hurts me a little.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

I never managed to get used to the newer controllers, so since Melee, I've been using GameCube Controllers. Luckily, I was not only able to get the adapter and a new GC controller on launch day, I also snagged one of those dandy Classic Controllers who are designed like GC controllers (which I presume is represented as the Wii U Fight Pad Controller in this poll?).

I tried the Wiimote alone a few times with okayish results, but the Nunchuk feels very alien to me. Haven't gotten around to try the other controllers yet (except for old Classic Controllers in Brawl, but that was before my PS-days, so I might try them again), but I guess both Wii U pad and Pro Pad should work fine for me as well.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

Comin' at Ya! LuigiGodzillaGirl's Avatar

I would prefer my trusty GameCube controllers, but until the adapters become a little more readily available (I hope), I'm just going to bear with the Game Pad. It works just fine, but it's super awkward when you're trying to reset a match. I got used to the new ABXY button layout from playing the 3DS version. I would consider investing in a pro controller if they weren't so expensive.

I saw a classic controller with the GCN button layout today; I was tempted to get it, but it was Princess Peach themed, and pink's not really my color. I also don't know if they're a good investment or if I should hold out until the adapters get restocked

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiGodzillaGirl View Post
    I saw a classic controller with the GCN button layout today; I was tempted to get it, but it was Princess Peach themed, and pink's not really my color. I also don't know if they're a good investment or if I should hold out until the adapters get restocked
    I actually have two of these suckers by now (Yoshi and Mario design), though the latter isn't really mine, but I'm nonetheless thinking about trying to hunt down a third one. For the most part, they feel like real deal, though the shoulder buttons are a bit smaller I believe, and the underside isn't exactly as comfy as the one from the original.

It's still a fairly good substitute, as far as I can tell (haven't really played with it, as it was inaugurated by my brother when I had him and a bunch of friends over). Also, you can use 'em with other games which also allow you to use Classic Controllers!
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

The Villager of Death

I use gamecube controller, because Melee nostalgia.

I don't want to spend the extra cash just to get an adapter for GameCube controllers for my Wii U... it seems kinda silly to me. But I'm gonna use the Wii U gamepad just because it's there
    Monster Hunter Generations | Name: Yami G | HR: ???

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    Xbox: YamiGekusu | PSN: YamiGekusu | Nintendo Network: YamiGekusu

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

Look at all these losers using the wired Gamecube controllers. Real men use Wavebirds!

Brawl's controller options outside of the GCN controller were awful (the wiimote and wiimote/nunchuck were awkward to hold and the classic controller always had the wiimote dangling from it by a cord and getting in the way), but Sm4sh's actually look decent (albeit super expensive if you don't want to use the wiimote or gamepad). Haven't used anything but my old Wavebird so far, but I might try out the 3DS and gamepad once I have less school stuff to deal with and more time to play.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

I use the good ol' Wiimote... or the 3DS.
    I don't have a Wii U of my own, but I carry my 3DS around everywhere. Especially to my friend's, who HAS a Wii U. So... what else can I use for real "tilt" attacks?
    Also makes taunting SO much easier...
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

Gamecube controller is clearly the most popular, but I've been using the WiiU Pro controller for a long time now (its a really great controller for the wiiu imo)

I got a GCC adapter yesterday finally because I just needed it, but I'm feeling like the Pro is a lot more comfortable so I almost feel bad for spending money on it, but eh I wanted a new gamecube controller and I can use it to emulate Dolphin with an actual controller (Only emulate games I own)
    Smash WiiU Challenges: 139/140 JUST 40 SOMETHING CUSTOM MOVES LEFT
    Smash 3DS Challenges: 133/135

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

Looking back on my old post, I still use the Wiimote if I don't have use of the GamePad.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Responsible for Wario's Future Execution LeftyGreenMario's Avatar
    Wherever your imagination wants it to be.

Wii Remote + Nunchuk. With the occasional Gamepad.

I wish the Gamepad's default control scheme wasn't so crappy. Especially at the shoulder buttons. >_>

I don't use Gamecube controller because the Gamecube controller adapter feels like a ripoff and more so since it's getting scalped to high heavens. If the adapter had support for more games, I might consider, but just for Smash Bros.? Eh.
    Is corn grass? Can you make fancy headdresses with it?

Thread Information