Thread: Anybody else feel like it was a bit too early to end BitF?

Anybody else feel like it was a bit too early to end BitF?

I don't know. It just seems weird looking back at it now. Matthew wanted to end it because he was worried that the quality would drop as he would be running out of things to make comics out of, but late 2014 is turning out to be pretty active for Nintendo what with Smash 4 coming out, different franchises crossing over into Mario Kart among a few others, and a few other things that I mentioned that I think would've made some pretty good BitF jokes. I guess we still have Matthew's Nintendo Force Magazine's comics, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Was now a good time to end BitF, or do you think there was a few missed opportunities?

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Anybody else feel like it was a bit too early to end BitF?

that's really only an answer that matt can answer, and given that he decided to end it, well, there's your answer.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

His fans can take over.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Waddle Dee

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    His fans can take over.
    I can't draw. My attempts at art are what killed the dinosaurs.
    Stop shaking me. I'm filled with Nitroglycerin.

Look back at the earlier comics, they weren't particularly inspiring. He gradually got better over time until his style really got perfected a few hundred comics in.

Yes, but this isn't about fans taking over or Matt's art evolution. This is about what you guys think.

Goodbye, have a good life, all of you. RavThunderbird's Avatar

To be honest, I am kinda glad that he did what he did, in my opinion it was akin to what Bill Watterson did with Calvin and Hobbes, he ended on a good note. Towards the end the jokes were a little stretched, even if there was more content that he could have used, bitf's tone as a whole just felt more surreal and less pure humor. It was like the balance scale in one final song, the drama was increasing and that was not from what I could tell mat was trying to do. He was making humor, not necessarily a story with drama. Even if it could have gone on for another 50 comics or so, this was still a good way for bitf to end.

i believe it was the right time to end the original comic, but theres so many missed opportunities coming up now that i think there should be a spritual sequal made

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

Having just read the Nintendo Force magazine comics, its clear Matt hasn't lost his gusto. Nintendo Force even has a continuation of Matt's Little Fox comics. I'm thinking the end of Bitf was just a way to advance his career. He made a name for himself with a free-to-view webcomic. Now his work is professional tiered quality. The way to experience his future art is through buying a magazine subscription, buying the Bitf books featuring print-exclusive bonus content, and of course buying Tadpole Treble.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

The thing is that Nintendo are always making new content, so it was never going to be an ideal time to end the comic on that front. Whenever it happened, there was always going to be at least one big new Nintendo thing coming up soon after that would feel like a missed oppurtunity for BitF-ing.
    Toki no Tanaka - my Japan-set webcomic about life, laughs and Nintendo games.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithThePie View Post
    I don't know. It just seems weird looking back at it now. Matthew wanted to end it because he was worried that the quality would drop as he would be running out of things to make comics out of, but late 2014 is turning out to be pretty active for Nintendo what with Smash 4 coming out, different franchises crossing over into Mario Kart among a few others, and a few other things that I mentioned that I think would've made some pretty good BitF jokes. I guess we still have Matthew's Nintendo Force Magazine's comics, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Was now a good time to end BitF, or do you think there was a few missed opportunities?
    It's his choice. If he lost the drive to update regularly with new and interesting content, then that's his call, not yours.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelHobo View Post
    The thing is that Nintendo are always making new content, so it was never going to be an ideal time to end the comic on that front. Whenever it happened, there was always going to be at least one big new Nintendo thing coming up soon after that would feel like a missed oppurtunity for BitF-ing.
    Trying to "keep up" with the new Nintendo games was always a terrible thing in my opinion. New stuff is always coming and sure some jokes about it all write themselves, but five years later, without that context? You're left with either the most basic everyone-thought-of-that joke about the game there is, one that no longer makes sense because it played off something nobody could know at the time and everybody does know now, or a comic about a game no one cared about once it actually came out. All date and weaken the comic, and are why it might look like the solution would be new comics about new events. But those would be band-aids that would grow old and fall off too. The best ones are the ones that worked then and will work forever, either because they're about games that have a chance to stand as classics (the post-release Kid Icarus Uprising comics should survive), or are about recurring elements in games that we see again and again, or are just set in a game's world, and work because they're funny even if you don't know the game. The timeless ones.

Granted, I think the last 100 or so comics were getting better about that. But if you're saying that potential jokes about Nintendo dipping its toes in other platforms, or Metroid Prime Fellatio Federation looking awful, or something that happens in Yoshi's New Island, are why you want BitF back... no.
    Thank you

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Nintendo's release schedule is also way too slow to work with a comic that's regularly updating. For example, the most recent notable Nintendo game was Splatoon, which came out two months ago. Would he really be able to get more than two months of comics out of it?

This was less of an issue at first because Matt could make comics about Nintendo's long backlog of games. But after Matt's mined most of the jokes he can think of from the classics, he has to rely more and more on new stuff from Nintendo.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

There is a good reason why Matt does not want BitF to be a franchise zombie: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ranchiseZombie
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Three Nintendo groups in one pic! Amazing! TriMushroomStar's Avatar
    Ha! Like I would tell you! I would have to kill you if I did.

Well, it's sad to see it go, and even if Matt could've used the new games coming out, after awhile, it would start to degrade in quality, until we are hoping he'll end it. Sometimes there just isn't enough material to keep going. Plus, he ended it with "One Final Song," which was a great way to wrap it up, bringing back good, bad, and Waluigi memories. I'm proud of Matthew for creating that song, and ending it like that.
    "Oh, but what's the point of tests if you don't learn anything?"
    -King Bumi (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Too hardcore to be softcore - and vice versa. Kusanagi no Tsurugi's Avatar
    A destination a little up the road, from the habitations and the towns we know.

Yeah, no, I feel it was the right time. Dragging it on for too long would eventually make the comic stale, like most things that run for too long uninterrupted tend to get (like Matt Groening's cartoons). I read Matt's reasons on the other thread and I agree with them. As the song goes, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it. And while I don't doubt he'd keep pouring his heart into BitF had he the will to continue, I also don't doubt it would be increasingly harder for him to work on the comic the way he'd been doing for all these years.
    We can always look up the archives if we feel like reading more Brawl and more Waluigi - 600 comics are plentiful, after all, and if that's not enough, it's as he said in Meet Me in the Final Destination: we, as fans, can always create our own stories with the characters we love. I'm even thinking of how to tell the story of Super Mario Bros. as a fairy tale to my 4-year-old niece. So, in a way, I'm paying it forward. And that, I think, is the legacy BitF is leaving to us.

(for those who don't know, the song I quoted is "The Importance of Being Idle" by Oasis)
    Nintendo: the Beatles of video gaming.

In my life, I love you more.

Please check out my DeviantArt page. It's not all that great, and hasn't been updated in a while, but it's a work of love.

Thread Information