Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Moves Thread

Re: Custom Moves Thread

Just in the interest of correctness, it's PK Flash, not PK Pulse. Ness has a weird accent.
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

Hm. Looking at Lucas's in-game skills from Mother 3, his PSI Magnet could be made into a PSI Shield for reflecting/absorbing attacks. Lucas does also learn PK Flash, so having it as a custom for him is not outside the realm of possibility. He also learns PSI Counter (another good use for a down-special variation) and Offense Up, which could be like in Project M where he gets a temporary boost to his attack range and damage.

As for adjustments to PK Fire and Thunder, Lucas will likely just ape Ness's variations.

Mewtwo might get Shadow Ball variants that make it fly straight or that make it less of a projectile and more of a floating damage field. Hard to say for things like Teleport, but he might get a variant that makes an explosion where he reappears.

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

PSI Counter would be awesome.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Responsible for Wario's Future Execution LeftyGreenMario's Avatar
    Wherever your imagination wants it to be.

A sort of bump.

I use Mario different special moves quite a lot. I usually don't leave one special move unaltered. What I normally don't use is Fire Orb, normal cape (Gust Cape is far superior), Explosive Punch, and, well, F.L.U.D.D., I don't use it too often. Feels sweet when you score KOs with in in Wii Fit Studio or Bridge of Eldin though, but Shocking Cape pushes off people more efficiently.

What are Mewtwo's alternate special moves, if it has any? Just curious, even though I won't be getting it any time soon.
    Is corn grass? Can you make fancy headdresses with it?

mewtwo has no custom specials at this time. (well he does but you have to use a glitch that was already patched to get to them and they are glitchy as hell)

So maybe Mewtwo's alternate specials are still in development? That's strange that it has unfinished moves within its moveset.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Yoshi's 1111 set is probably the most practical. None of his other customs provide much to be of much use to overshadow the others:
    • Lick is an interesting KO move but it KOs at odd percents (120%+ on bad DI?) and you miss out on an aerial command grab
    • Egg Launch screws over characters with vertical based recoveries like Falcon and Shulk, but doesn't hurt characters that have horizontal recoveries like DK or Bowser.
    • Both Egg Roll variants are weak. Light Egg Roll lacks longevity and you don't get speed until you hit the ground, while Heavy Egg Roll makes you lose all momentum upon hitting a target. Momentum is huge in making Egg Roll even slightly useful, and these two variants fail at maintaining that.
    • Both Egg Toss variants also are rather bad - Timed Egg Toss is extremely situational and the fact that you can't zone with the projectiles means you miss out on a lot, while the jumping variant means you lose your projectile altogether. A big part of what makes Yoshi so dangerous are the eggs and their versatility. Making them lose their versatility is bad.
    • While Crushing Bomb is horrid (I feel only bad/distracted players would get hit by it consistently, because the grounded variant is hard to connect on a competent opponent), Star Bomb has its uses as a "get me back on stage more safely" variant... if you can't bomb onto the ledge reliably. The stars and damage combined from the classic yoshi bomb however do just enough damage to break a slightly damaged shield, so I'd rather prefer that.

Other customs I've been enjoying, however:
    • Ganondorf's Warlock Dropkick. This gives Ganon something he desperately needs: a fast approach option. You can combo from a down throw into dropkick up until around 40-60% (depends on weight and DI) but you can also close the gap on a turtling opponent more easily with it. This also helps you recover, and if you can aim it right, you can ledgecancel the dropkick lag into an aerial.
    • Ganondorf's Dark Fists. This helps his already abysmal recovery by giving his recovery lengthy active frames with a large hitbox, making him a lot harder to edgeguard. This can threaten KOs at around 100-120% (depending on weight/DI/distance to top). This is so good that there is almost little to no reason to take this custom when given the opportunity. It's that good for him.
    • Bowser's Fire Shot. I like this because it helps Bowser with giving him a quick projectile to fight projectile users with, and it's not as limited as Flame Breath. That's about all there is to it, really, Bowser definitely needs help in the neutral game when someone's playing keepaway from him, and a quick projectile that doesn't leave him wide open helps out with that. Speaking of neutral game...
    • Bowser's Dash Slash. I only need to link to this video to give an illustration why it's good. It works with both his customs, yes, but I believe Dash Slash is superior because it makes him go further. The real reason why this is so good is that Bowser has little landing lag when he slides from landing with this attack. And because of Dash Slash taking him pretty far, you can close the distance as fast as if you were Little Mac - this is amazing for a character as hard hitting as Bowser, helping him immensely. Suddenly I can waveland right into your face and grab you if you're hiding at the ledge, for instance.
    • Villager's Timber Counter. This is so useful in so many stupid ways. Villager already controls a good chunk of the stage when he plants a tree, but the Timber Counter sprout forces anyone that touches it to trip. This effectively nullifies certain characters on smaller stages and forces them into an extremely uncomfortable position.
    • Kirby's Jumping Inhale. This helps Kirby out for one big reason - Inhale already acts as a command grab, but the problem with Inhale is that it has a good chunk of startup time. The leap mitigates that startup time almost instantly, so all you need to do is get the opponent into your mouth from that point onward.
    • Kirby's Upper Cutter. I believe this is similar to Ganon's Dark Fists - I see no reason to avoid taking this when given the opportunity to. I feel this is superior to Final Cutter and Wave Cutter in so many ways - it's faster, thus being harder to edgeguard, it goes at an angle which can help you combo out of your throws, and most importantly, it can KO.

That's about all I've got right now.
    Last edited by Eltrotraw; April 26th, 2015 at 06:20 PM.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

One custom I really enjoy is Palutena's Lightweight, especially with the glitch to bypass the cooldown. She's crazy fast and jumps extremely high while the move is in effect, making her dash through the entire stage in just one second. Deadly if you can keep up with that mobility... which I couldn't as I'm more used to playing slower characters.

Another great move is Charizard's Dragon Rush. Fast startup, helps the poor horizontal recovery, no recoil damage and can carry the opponent offstage. I see no reason to use Flare Blitz over Dragon Rush, as FB seems far too weak when taking all the drawbacks into account.

Also one custom I love is Bowser's Fireball. I don't play Bowser so I can't evaluate that move's usefulness, but it just is such a classic Bowser move, that it makes me wonder why that wasn't his standard special to begin with.

That's it for now. I'll probably have more to say on a later date.

I personally really like Yoshi's Lick, but I'm not a high-level player and don't really know the benefits of his regular neutral special. I personally find Lick to be an excellent surprise attack with decent power.

Olimar really gains a lot from his Sturdy Pikmin Pluck, since his minions don't die nearly as easily as before. Even if you're tossing your pikmin like mad it means you don't spend as much time plucking and renewing your pikmin stock.

And yeah, that slip tree (that damages opponents at full size!) is scary useful.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I personally really like Yoshi's Lick, but I'm not a high-level player and don't really know the benefits of his regular neutral special. I personally find Lick to be an excellent surprise attack with decent power.
    It catches people off guard, yes, but the problem with losing out on a grab is that you're playing a game where shielding is rewarded - so grabs become more powerful of an option to commit to damage while they're shielding.
    That and if they're not ready to defend when they're in range of Lick - that's dangerous, since running upsmash and dash attack come out in roughly the same amount of time

I'd give Yoshi's only "viable" customs to be Lick, Egg Launch and Star Bomb. There's little reason for any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    And yeah, that slip tree (that damages opponents at full size!) is scary useful.
    You actually get a lot less mileage out of the tree from Counter Timber, since you lose the threat of them tripping. When an opponent trips, they're stuck with only four options of what to do or they take a hit, meaning that the player can react much more effectively with what they want rather than hoping they hit/get close to the tree.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    • Kirby's Jumping Inhale. This helps Kirby out for one big reason - Inhale already acts as a command grab, but the problem with Inhale is that it has a good chunk of startup time. The leap mitigates that startup time almost instantly, so all you need to do is get the opponent into your mouth from that point onward.
    I'd say that Kirby's Jumping Inhale has utility in assisting Kirby with recovering horizontally as well. When somebody like Ness is chasing you to death, maybe the small startup lag and ending lag isn't too appealing, but it's a recovery option nevertheless.

Anyway, here's a small rundown on Mario's custom specials. My opinion on them might differ from yours, but keep in mind that my common playing environment is 17-minute 8-player Smash with EXPLOSIVES on against computers, but don't let that single association taint what I have to say about them.

Fast Fireball

It's a good alternative to the normal Fireball. It moves like a bullet and also stuns people. It's kind of like a shorter-ranged, but quicker Falco laser. It's funny seeing people's strong attacks get canceled by this move, but since it's weaker and it doesn't bounce, I say it's not as good as fireball when it comes to approaching people. It also has its use in edgeguarding, so for someone who absolutely loves edgeguarding (F.L.U.D.D., cape, meteor smash; if only he was an amazing jumper as how he's advertised in his universe ;P), he appreciates an additional option.

Fire Orb

Not great as a projectile move, and Mario needs his projectiles to approach properly and to compensate his lack of reach. So, I don't use this move. The starting lag is abysmal and it also has some ending lag, so it's a highly punishable move. Not to mention, the orb moves slowly. That being said, it helps ensnare people and unlike Ness's PK Fire, you can't shield or reflect it, so it's not totally outclassed as an ensnaring projectile. It's essentially a big, slow-moving cloud of fire. You can potentially leave the opponent wide open for attack, but the orb usually dissipates before you can rush in and u-smash the crap out of your enemies, thanks to the ending lag and short distance. It might be more useful in team battles though, but your teammates can't enter the Fire Orb, assuming friendly fire is on.

Super Jump

Considering how painfully below-average Mario's recovery is, I think Mario appreciates a noticeably better recovery. Sacrificing dealing damage for a better jump isn't too shabby because of this, and since I don't really use Mario's normal special offensively due to the low knockback and the usual high ending lag from recoveries, I prefer Super Jump over Super Jump Punch.

Explosive Punch

It's fun to correctly land this, but I don't really like this too much. Again, Mr. Jumpman isn't the best jumper around, so sticking him a recovery that's gives comparable distance to Mario's recovery in giant Melee is risky. Also, there has to be some proper positioning since it's a two hit attack. If there was a buff, this move should be buffed so the two hits can connect better, and the explosion should be stronger. It's a fun move that's fun to look at, but I don't really use it seriously.

Shocking Cape

The cape is a versatile move (highly fitting for someone who's meant to be versatile!) which can not only reflect projectiles, but also turn people around. Good Mario players know and have probably succeeded in screwing over other people's recoveries with this move. So, sacrificing the unique aspects for the cape in favor of a damaging move might not be worth it. Yet I find myself using it quite often. Well, 11.2% damage and decent knockback with good range for a relatively quick aerial move isn't too shabby. The lack of a reflecting thingy and the turning people around thingy hurts, but it also hurts people too. It's a viable edgeguarding attack that might as well be a strong F-air and it retains Mario's momentum compared to the normal cape so it's actually pretty good. If you ever happen to be on walk-off stages, it's pretty deadly on the very sides. You can choose between this and Gust Cape, but I slightly prefer Gust Cape.

Gust Cape

A cape that slightly pushes people back and also keeps Mario's momentum better than normal cape while keeping the cape's reflective and screwy properties? Wow! What's the downside? Deals slightly less damage? Um, yeah, that's negligible. As if Mario isn't the crazy edge-guarding b****** he is, what, with his F.L.U.D.D., normal cape, meteor smash, his b-air, d-smash, fireballs, and his shocking cape, he gets this thing. There's hardly any reason to use normal cape over Gust Cape. Pushing back people isn't limited to recoveries: you can push people off ledges or even slightly push them back, ruining their momentum. Unlike F.L.U.D.D., this doesn't need to charge and it comes out quickly). So yeah, this is pretty much an upgrade from normal cape.

Scalding F.L.U.D.D.

It's a damaging F.L.U.D.D. move and... it's not that great. Maybe I haven't found a use for it, but it's not strong, it's fairly laggy, and it's pretty short-ranged. It has less charge time than normal F.L.U.D.D.. Yes, I know how useless F.L.U.D.D. was in Barlw, so I was expecting to use this all the time, but I don't. That's because F.L.U.D.D. has more range this time. I have little use for this move and I appreciate how normal or stronger F.L.U.D.D. has pushback that helps mess with the opponent and potentially gimp them.

High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.

Probably slightly better than normal F.L.U.D.D. Pushing back Mario might be a plus or a minus depending on your situation, but if it can push Mario back mid-air, then, when recovering, he can use his cape to face backward and then use High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D. to give him extra distance. I haven't tested this myself, or if I have, I don't know if any extra distance gained is an illusion. As with normal F.L.U.D.D., to assist the caping could be deadly. This is probably better at pushing people back while normal F.L.U.D.D. is better at screwing momentum.
    Last edited by LeftyGreenMario; April 27th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.

Thread Information