Thread: "Super Untitled"

"Super Untitled"

I've never been one for being good at titles of things. I asked around for title ideas and all I got was the name the prologue super X and the main game X 64.

So the basic premise here is that I went ahead and made another homebrew rpg system. This is not the scifi one, that one is a different one. This is the one with the focus on custom abilities and very long turn length, potentially weeks, or even months, or sometimes years between events. Well, Combat Rounds are still a few seconds, but outside of that, it can be a while.

Anyways, here is ruleset v1.2
    Spoiler: rules 

I admit some parts of this may not be entirely clearly written, so I can answer questions and maybe compile the errata/faq/fix it if theres something overly confusing. Questions asked in this thread or the other thread would be answered within a few hours, questions asked in irc would be answered almost immediately, and questions asked in pm or vm might be answered eventually.
    Spoiler: changes from v1.0 

Spoiler: SETTIN 

Questions about the setting follow the same guidelines in terms of how quick I am to answer them, though some things might just get a for an answer if they're meant to be learned through the gameplay or exploration.

Admission: I am very restrictive about who I play with in rpgs, and as such basically already filled it before even posting this. I'll list a few people here who I've already spoken to as definites, but that isn't completely exclusive, since there are also other people who have expressed interest but haven't been concrete yet, and its not completely sealed yet. What I mean to say is, its not completely open enrollment, though if there is a lot more interest than i expected then I would not be opposed to other people using the same system for their own games. I'll give priority to those people who've already expressed tentative interest elsewhere before looking at other applications.
    List of people who gave me a definite answer: Elfice, Venom2003, Chiffons, Dynawing. I'm aiming for 5-6 people.

What do I mean by "Prologue?"
    This game is broken up into "episodes" and "story arcs." These are analogous to a tv show's progression. The first 2 or 3 episodes are called the prologue, taking place a few decades before the "main game" will, with different player characters. This serves two purposes. First, it helps establish the setting, and gives the players a chance to shape some of what will be considered background information for the main game. Second, it acts to help me balance the game, because there's a good chance we might realize that there's something completely broken going on in the game mechanics, which would then be fixed for the main game. Additionally, both to help test, and to help the mood, characters for the prologue will begin at level 5.

Based on the proving ground rules, heres a possible "Sample Post," in this case involving some npc living in the town confronting one of the mysterious strangers who've been hovering about lately. A little more literal in this guy's case.
    Spoiler: Sample Post 

Listed inspirations and "recommended readings:" Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter, Marvel (inc. vs Capcom), basically any shonen anime or fighting game, DotA.
    Last edited by flibbyjibbits; November 2nd, 2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: folderized

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Re: "Super Untitled"

still looks really great, also still way too big a commitment for me to apply right now :<
    Approvals: 1/2

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Spoiler: boop 

updated Meteor Shower to reflect the 1.1 changes, and even though you said you updated the mana costs for healing, I don't actually think mine changes?? could be wrong though
    Last edited by Elfice; November 2nd, 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: dunno why i thought i could only have eight t2 abilities instead of ten
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

I'm gonna approve this and state that I still do have interest and it's growing, but don't reserve me a spot or anythin.

Like I said on the chat earlier, the only problem is that it needs a lot of cleaning up. I know all the bolded headings and stuff got lost in copy/paste, but it would definitely help if it was organized more in general. It seems like a lot of information is just kinda spread out (like tier 3 power poitns being described at the tier 3 power creation rather than with the general power point paragraph) And maybe instead of stuff like "1 handed weapons do xky, 2-handed weapons do xky" you should make a chart or list like:

1 handed weapon: xky
    2-handed weapon: lol

I just feel like it's hard to refer to the rules as they are now since you have to read the hwole thing over, rather than be able to reference one relevant part for something. It looks like Elfice has made a character sheet just fine, but I suppose I'm making this suggestion due to a general like of orderliness and professionalism, and having it more organized would really polish the system as a whole.

Otherwise, I like your system and I think it's going to turn out well. I won't obstruct the thing starting just because of the rules' organization.

Approvals: 2/2

Here i went and made it all folderized and junk, so it should be more comprehensible and easy to read and suchnot

I'm really quite interested in this. Would it be possible to reserve a spot?

Whoa. This is way too complex for me...
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Alright, figured I'd be free enough for a while that i might as well try getting in on this so here's my caricature. I mean, character.

Spoiler: Real Soviet Spirit Channeller 

Some stuff subject to change, slightly incomplete. The whole Otherworld concept is something I'd probably just explore through roleplaying and special abilities, so it shouldn't crash into the setting itself much, I hope.

Let me know if I did any math wrong. I've got some preliminary concerns and questions, too.

Spoiler: Questions and such 
    Last edited by Dynawing; November 9th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

I'll look at these concerns in order
    1. I agree athletics could maybe factor in to run speed, but I think maybe it might be better linked to duration rather than speed, maybe how many rounds one can doublemove in a row+1.

2. This might explain a lot of questions, but the range and damage type of a special move is the same as the basic attack it is based off of.

3. For a tier 2 ability using the multi hit block, the cost of the multi hit is 1 point per damage dice kept. So for 3 points it deals Xk3 damage, where the X is the same as the first hits rolled dice. Other blocks can be applied to individual hits.

4. Tier 1 abilities aren't really 'abilities', for the most part. To use an analogy to smash, they're like your A button moves. I didn't include a limit on them because they're for the most part just standard attacks without any attached flair, equivalent to power attack on a melee strike, or just shooting a ranged weapon, or just blasting out with some magic damage.

%. Tier 4s we can worry about later, yes, but that does seem right as far as i can tell. The self buff does also appear to be valid.

6. There is currently no difference in using a 2 handed weapon in 1 hand with sufficient strength to do so. There perhaps should be, but I am not including one in this playtest. I may issue a 'balance patch' during the timeskip if this proves problematic.

7. Since the schools of magic are intended to be freeform, it might be useful to just think of, in possibly somewhat vague terms, what sort of magic opposes what he does for that purpose. I guess in this case it might be difficult to think of, but we'll see how it works, I guess.

8. Starting gear is any normal quality stuff, except the 4th level things, such as the "extreme" equipment. Theres not currently rules for higher order equipment, but that might be added later.

I hope this clears some things up, but I understand if it doesn't, since whats clear to me is not always whats clear to everyone else, especially in this sort of writing.

The character itself seems like it could be very interesting. I'm a little burnt out from chemical reactors and process control homework today so I didn't actually check the numbers but I'm going to just assume for now that they worked out right.

Spoiler: Kept you waiting huh 

Hopefully nothing's terribly broken

Thread Information