Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smash 3DS tourney sign-ups and rule discussion

Re: Smash 3DS tourney sign-ups and rule discussion

Count me in for this. I'll try to have fun with it.

FC: 5198 - 3381 - 4180

Twitch / YouTube / Livestream (old)
    Yoshistar Galaxy - Streaming good ol' Nintendo shenanigans for all to watch and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by astroninja1 View Post
    well i think the way it was handled on tourney i was in recently was that where the winners of each round in losers bracket faced the losers of the next round from winners bracket? or something along those lines
    Yeah, I wish I could make a bracket chart to explain the idea but it seems you guys have already handled such a thing, so that's good! So you must mean the 8 losses from round 1 would square off, those winners would face the losses in round 2, then they face round 3, ect until one remains to face off with the remaining guy in the first bracket.
    They say you can't keep a good man down, but some prefer to take in the scenery while they're there.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

No comments on the new stage list so far? Guess people are fine with it then?

For the tourney, I'll be using this site with the settings: Double Elimination, default bracket size option and checking randomize seeds. So if you are curious, feel free to mess around with it there.

Also I decided to stop at 16 participants, it's a nice round number for a tourney. People can still sign up afterwards as a substitute if someone should decide drop out before the tourney starts (after starting, it'll just count as an automatic loss).

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

I'd like to join as well if it's not too late!
    FC: 4339-2704-4645

Also yeah that banlist looks pretty good. I agree with some of the people on here, some of the stages just plain aren't fun to fight on, but I don't like to think I have any competitive disposition or anything I just hate losing to a stage instead of a player...

Also even if I can get in, I'm not sure I'll even be available on the 26th... I'll let you guys know if I can't make it or anything... I'm unsure if there are 16 participants already or what.

Oh, jeez, well if the number stops at 16, I better try to hop on in!

My FC is 2836-0118-4225
    They say you can't keep a good man down, but some prefer to take in the scenery while they're there.

Number's at 15 now, I'll try to keep the OP updated all the time. I mean, the next nice round tourney number after 16 is 32 and I doubt we're going to get that many people. And sorry Deku, I won't hold free spots.

So scheduling for specific matches is pretty lose i assume? I'd like to join, but I'm actually doing another tournament on the 25th (which has a prize so there's my priorities), and i dont want to slow down this one if i cant do a match that day.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Well then! I'm hopping in!
    FC's 1934-0848-0862! Name's Doof!

And with that, we have our 16 participants and edited the OP accordingly. Also includes the list of banned stages now, due to no one having any objection. Though the tourney starts in two weeks, so I'm still open for suggestions regarding rule changes e.g. amount of stocks, time or allowed characters.

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Taigiry View Post
    And with that, we have our 16 participants and edited the OP accordingly. Also includes the list of banned stages now, due to no one having any objection. Though the tourney starts in two weeks, so I'm still open for suggestions regarding rule changes e.g. amount of stocks, time or allowed characters.
    Please tell me you held a spot for me.
    My friend code is 4339-3463-3764
    Oh I hope I get in...
    Was I not allowed to hold a spot? I was at school and couldn't get my friend code.

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

yeah I'm kinda with deku on this one - you're not making a bracket by hand, so why the necessity of an even number? I'll be perfectly frank, I didn't try to get a more balanced stage list for the greater good, was kind of hoping to participate in this if it got to a point where I didn't have to worry too much about fighting a person AND a stage. The list you've decided on seems perfectly reasonable for a tournament like this, so I really have no qualms with participating now that that's been ironed out (and custom equipment is gone too).

and also I'd also like to apologize, it feels like I'm arguing with you at every turn. But I promise it's not a vicious sort of thing, it's just...a discussion! A lively discussion.
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

I guess I'll sub.
    Ooh, wait, I have a song for this...
    Row, row, row your boat, gently down the streeeeam!
    Ha ha, fooled you! I'm a submarine! *bing*
    FC: 0430-8979-8441

Also, I don't think Unova League should be banned. The hazards aren't very game-breaking. But it's really not my choice...
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Being killed in All-star by the Unova league is what makes you want to ban stages lol

I think having more than 16 would be fine, as long as we have an even number so it all works out in the end...
    I'm pretty sure I won't be home on the 26th though, so you guys may have to disqualify me unless we could change the time, even then we'll have to see if I'm free the day it happens so let's just go with it...

Alright, what about this stage list? *list here*
    Well, what stage isn't banned? Cuz that looks like most of them. Oh well, as long as paper mario is still in, I'm all for it.
    Oh, maybe, if you guys want, we could have a "for fun" tournament where everything banned here is allowed.
    Last edited by Redandgreen43; October 10th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfice View Post
    yeah I'm kinda with deku on this one - you're not making a bracket by hand, so why the necessity of an even number? I'll be perfectly frank, I didn't try to get a more balanced stage list for the greater good, was kind of hoping to participate in this if it got to a point where I didn't have to worry too much about fighting a person AND a stage. The list you've decided on seems perfectly reasonable for a tournament like this, so I really have no qualms with participating now that that's been ironed out (and custom equipment is gone too).

and also I'd also like to apologize, it feels like I'm arguing with you at every turn. But I promise it's not a vicious sort of thing, it's just...a discussion! A lively discussion.
    No need to apologize, it's a discussion thread after all. As for the decision, I'll use a pic to better explain myself:
    Spoiler: 20 man tourney 
    I hope that made things clear, I'm not very good at explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by OshaliteX2
    Also, I don't think Unova League should be banned. The hazards aren't very game-breaking. But it's really not my choice...
    It kind of is, that's the whole point of the thread. Especially with Unova League being marked with a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Redandgreen43 View Post
    Well, what stage isn't banned? Cuz that looks like most of them. Oh well, as long as paper mario is still in, I'm all for it.
    Oh, maybe, if you guys want, we could have a "for fun" tournament where everything banned here is allowed.
    What are you talking about? 12 stages are banned so far, with three additional ones being undecided. Last time I checked 12 (15) isn't even half of 34, 3DS' stage roster. Also please don't hijack this thread, thanks.
    Last edited by Taigiry; October 10th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

What are you talking about? 12 stages are banned so far, with two additional ones being undecided. Last time I checked 12 (15) isn't even half of 34, 3DS' stage roster. Also please don't hijack this thread, thanks.
    Dude, cool it, I wasn't hijacking this thread. It was just an idea for after this one. And I make mistakes like this all the time, because it's not like I have the select number of stages on hand with me. I'm not too into smash statistics. Sorry if you felt that way.
    Last edited by Redandgreen43; October 10th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redandgreen43 View Post
    Dude, cool it, I wasn't hijacking this thread. It was just an idea for after this one. And I make mistakes like this all the time, because it's not like I have the select number of stages on hand with me. I'm not too into smash statistics. Sorry if you felt that way.
    Cool it? I am cool, I was asking you not to hijack it, just in case so it doesn't go too far off-topic.

Cool it? I am cool, I was asking you not to hijack it, just in case so it doesn't go too far off-topic.
    Well, it's gonna go even more off-topic if we stall it, so sorry, moving on. Is there some sort of cap for how many people can join?
    EDIT: oh, wait, there's a cap, now. Well, now i'm not sure what to talk about. I guess, maybe, we should say what characters we're gonna be using? For me, Dedede and Pac-man. How 'bout you guys?
    Last edited by Redandgreen43; October 10th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Oh yeah one thing we're in agreement on is that Round Robin is out of the question - those aren't meant for more than like...6 or 7 people. More than that and it just gets...hectic and obnoxiously long.

I've sat here for the past like...half hour trying to cut this evenly using Swiss (a format in which you play people with the same record as you), but 20's actually a REALLY weird number for tournaments, because it's also a multiple of 5, and odd numbers are just bad bad bad bad

so at this point all I can really come up with is first round byes happen, because you'll very rarely get a tournament with the perfect number of people for whatever bracket you use. I definitely understand, though, not wanting to feel like you're giving 12 people a free advantage, but the bracket is randomly generated, so from an organizer standpoint, it's kind of like pairing two people with a HUGE skill gap together - RNG happens sometimes, and it's sometimes unfair to somebody and overly advantageous to someone else (i find it incredibly ironic that i'm saying this, considering this is why i was so adamant against a lot of stages), but it is what it is.
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

So... we CAN do the 20-person tourney?
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Quote Originally Posted by OshaliteX2 View Post
    So... we CAN do the 20-person tourney?
    I'm pretty sure, it's a multiple of 2 and 4, so we could do it either way.

I understand everything now Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

Well I'll just drop my friend code here in case a sub is needed.
    1375 7270 4335
    And whether I get in or not, I really recommend banning Unova League. I love the stage, but I've had too many BS losses in All Star Mode simply due to the stage reforming itself after Zekrom messes it up, or the stairs appearing messing me up because I'm holding the ledge or just under them. The stage moving around so much, Zekrom and Reshiram are all just too much.
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

So, I just had multiple 1-on-1 matches, mostly on the more contested stages (Gerudo Valley, Unova, Tomodachi, Gaur Plain and StreetPass, and here's my opinion on them:
    Spoiler: Gerudo Valley (Ban?) 

Spoiler: Unova League (Ban) 

Spoiler: Tomodachi (Keep) 

Spoiler: Gaur Plain (Undecided) 

Spoiler: StreetPass (Undecided) 

Quote Originally Posted by Elfice View Post
    I've sat here for the past like...half hour trying to cut this evenly using Swiss (a format in which you play people with the same record as you), but 20's actually a REALLY weird number for tournaments, because it's also a multiple of 5, and odd numbers are just bad bad bad bad

so at this point all I can really come up with is first round byes happen, because you'll very rarely get a tournament with the perfect number of people for whatever bracket you use. I definitely understand, though, not wanting to feel like you're giving 12 people a free advantage, but the bracket is randomly generated, so from an organizer standpoint, it's kind of like pairing two people with a HUGE skill gap together - RNG happens sometimes, and it's sometimes unfair to somebody and overly advantageous to someone else (i find it incredibly ironic that i'm saying this, considering this is why i was so adamant against a lot of stages), but it is what it is.
    Well, 20 was just a random example. But as it shows, you have to have a limit of participants, otherwise exactly this scenario will happen. 16 is the best possible number, there are no "free-passes" and these are something I really wanna avoid. Unless enough people here would be fine with it, because there's a possibility that they are affected by this and have to do a round more. I don't just wanna go "tough luck", I changed the rules, that's not gonna change, sorry.

I'd vote against streetpass because of the terribly confusing randomly dropping off platforms and because of the giant boss who gets in the way, and buffs could make a bigger difference than you think. Imagine Little Mac suddenly getting a speed, jump, or attack buff... it could mess the whole thing up...

Gaur Plains I'm not sure about...

Definitely ban Gerudo Valley...
    How will you have people post their characters? Is it going to be public, or private?

So hey I'd like to sign up as one of them substitutes. UNLESS there are still some spots available???

My FC is 3394-4062-7439.
    Last edited by Kiwi; October 10th, 2014 at 10:43 PM.

Thread Information