Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smash 3DS tourney sign-ups and rule discussion

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

Re: Smash 3DS tourney sign-ups and rule discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Taigiry View Post
    Let's see, you say people camp at the edge of the stage, but that's also a double-edged sword, because they put themself at risk as well. And the air game might be unique to Smash, but it's not the only way to play the game. The diversity among the stages is also what makes Smash interesting.
    It's a double edged sword, sure, but it grants a disproportionately huge advantage to certain characters, primarily those with moves that have set-knockback or strong base knockback. If you pick one of those characters and your opponent doesn't, then you can easily find a range where you put yourself at only a little more risk than average while simultaneously threatening opponents with instant death. I don't like that one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigiry
    It depeds on the stage. If it's something gamebreaking (who thought granting near invincibility for collecting coins was a good idea needs to be fired), but hazards aren't inherently bad. Hyrule Castle (tornado), Halberd(homing weapons), Brinstar (acid only leaves a small plattform), Orpheon (rotation), Lylat Cruise (tilting plattforms) and more are all allowed in tournament play. You mentioned unique Smash attributes above, hazards belong to them as well. That's why I'm against banning everything that has a hazard.

If enough people mention a stage to be banned, I could certainly change my mind, I'm not that stubborn. I'm just against banning everything.
    None of those are very fair examples. Hyrule Castle was tournament-legal primarily because the N64 game has a extremely small number of stages to play on otherwise, but is in fact currently banned by the American ruleset. Brinstar has also been banned for a couple years now at least, because it gives massive advantages to characters with strong air games and ability to control a single platform. Halberd, Orpheon, and Lylat Cruise are all counterpick-only stages. Additionally, all of those stages are banned under at least some rulesets.

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

And at the risk of being "that guy", I'd like to point out the HUGE flaws with the stages that should be banned, in hopes that you might understand exactly what it is I'm trying to say - it's not "ban these stages because they have hazards", it's "ban these stages because they do not foster the proper environment for a competition".

Spoiler: Row 1 

Spoiler: Row 2 

Spoiler: Row 3 

Spoiler: Row 4 

Spoiler: Row 5 

Spoiler: Row 6 

it's not hazards that get a stage banned, it's when the hazards either put a subset of characters at a massive advantage/disadvantage, or are so incredibly disruptive that they take away from the skill of the players.

And I know this only leaves BF, FD, Yoshi's Island, Prism Tower, and Arena Ferox as the only stages with both forms legal, but like I said, Sakurai thinks he answered the prayers of the competitive players by giving every stage an Omega form. But the lack of counterpicks is a SERIOUS problem for tournaments.

Halberd, Orpheon, and LC are counterpicks for a reason - they're not legitimately neutral, but their hazards aren't so incredibly disruptive that you're fighting a person AND a stage. There are next to no stages like that in Sm4sh.
    Last edited by Elfice; October 9th, 2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: oops forgot gaur plains
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

I can't believe I forgot how great Copy Kitty is! MathematicalVoid's Avatar
    Brainblow City. Got in a fight with George Takei over our space travels. Now I'm homeless.

I'm not really interested in joining anymore. Not a big fan of competitive rules in no-risks play. Sorry.
    Steep prices and...trees.
    Spoiler: Cluttered Sig Stuff 

Anthyding can still hadplen.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Wait, how is Tortimer Island a walkoff?
    From all I've seen it's a standard chunk of land except the empty space around it is filled with entirely cosmetic water instead.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

I wasn't even aware Tortimer Island had solid water you can actually walk on. I thought you just fell through all water but then again I don't play the regular stages that much.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

I'm not comfortable on a lot of the 3DS version's stages but I don't think this needs to be organized as a super serious tourney. Most of the players here aren't going to be operating like people at a tourney and making counterpicks or banning stages.

I've read a lot of debate about stage legality and nobody's really figured it out and I don't think we need to figure it out like this is some big time event. I think the simplest solution is to make any stage legal as long as both players agree to it. One of them might have interest in picking an advantageous stage for their character or something, but if the other guy agrees, why not? And if they want to go somewhere with a lot going on like 3D Land, that's fine.

I mean, I'd refuse to play a meaningful match on Balloon Fight or 3D Land, but if my opponent asked about Gaur Plain, Jungle Japes, or Tomodachi Life or whatever I would be fine with it. I think that's the way this should work.

That's not to say a guy playing Little Mac could just get through the tourney only on FD/Omegas because he didn't want to go anywhere else, but I do think it's a decent idea. I think the stages with truly obnoxious hazards or unfair things (Wily Castle, Warioware, etc.) are already banned. Maybe it should just be up to the community about what goes and what doesn't.

I guess what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be so hasty to just ban so much stuff. I also think the Brawl trio of BF/FD/YI plus Arena Ferox and Prism Tower should be legal or counterpicks in every tourney, but I dunno about everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Box
    Wait, how is Tortimer Island a walkoff?
    From all I've seen it's a standard chunk of land except the empty space around it is filled with entirely cosmetic water instead.
    I think what he means is that it's very nearly a walk-off. The edges of the platform are very close to the horizontal blast zones, especially when the boat's there, so you could theoretically stand there and bonk people off at low percents.

Personally my problem with that stage is that the camera zooms way out to show you the boat if it's on the other side, and that's a pain for me on my small screen. So I guess that'd be one of those stages I'd just ask not to play on.
    Last edited by Dynawing; October 9th, 2014 at 07:55 PM.

I am in complete agreement with Dynawing.
    I would love to participate, but I'm being a bit put off by all the competitive talk. I love playing SSB, but I'm not much of a competitive player. If the tourney was played by the rules in the OP, I'd be a lot more comfortable, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I can't believe I forgot how great Copy Kitty is! MathematicalVoid's Avatar
    Brainblow City. Got in a fight with George Takei over our space travels. Now I'm homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Andonuts View Post
    I am in complete agreement with Dynawing.
    I would love to participate, but I'm being a bit put off by all the competitive talk. I love playing SSB, but I'm not much of a competitive player. If the tourney was played by the rules in the OP, I'd be a lot more comfortable, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if anyone would agree with me.
    Steep prices and...trees.
    Spoiler: Cluttered Sig Stuff 

Anthyding can still hadplen.

Yeah, what Dyna has brought up (the gentleman's rule) is definitely something I could get behind, too - and like I did say in the post outlining the flaws with each stage, there are several that I personally have no qualms with that the overall competitive community would, which is something that the gentleman's rule does address. What I did try to bring to the table (ie the strictest stage list that I think would be legal for Sm4sh 3DS) is something that would open up the tournament to players like myself and Fish, off hand, who would prefer to not have to fight both a person and a stage, but if that turns away other people who don't entirely mind some stages, then obviously that's not worth it. The title of the thread said "rule discussion", and that's what has happened. I wouldn't want my bringing the competitive mindset regarding stages to (for lack of a better word) ruin it for others, but I still would at least like it looked at and taken into consideration when deciding what stages would be played on for this tournament, because even for something like this, at the end of the day, it IS still a competition, and competitions should be designed with fairness in mind. It's just that some stages are inherently unfair to fight on, and that's what I'm trying to get addressed.

And Tai, I realize that one of my first questions did get overlooked - what's the format of this? I'm assuming round robin given how it's spread out over a number of days, but you never did confirm nor deny this

hey look a tumblr

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

Oh hey, I'll sign up. 2363-6130-2269 is my FC.

As far as the rules, even with the understanding that this isn't a super competitive tournament, I'd still support banning the scrolling stages. They're just annoying and not fun in actual fights. There are others I have issues with but probably not enough to say they should be banned in this type of a tourney.

Also I agree with others that equipment is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed, but custom moves are fine.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

Whether this turns super competitive or not, I'm signing up. I'm just here for a friendly game and will take whatever rules are decided.

3566 1710 6243
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

Tumbling down Forum Veteran Kirb's Avatar

I don't think the stage list should be as restrictive as those in actual tournaments, since there's no money on the line and it's mostly for fun. With that in mind, a lot of the stages are very unbalanced or just flat out impossible to play a serious match on. I think the legal stages should be:

- Battlefield
    - Final Destination (and all Omega forms)
    - Rainbow Road
    - Paper Mario
    - Yoshi's Island
    - Corneria
    - Prism Tower
    - Mute City
    - Arena Ferox
    - Reset Bomb Forest
    - Boxing Ring
    - Tortimer Island
    - Gaur Plain
    - Tomodachi Life

I think that stage list gets rid of most of the flat out unfair stages without eliminating too many. Assuming a best of 3 or best of 5 format, the first match should be restricted to BF, FD, Yoshi's, Prism Tower, and Arena Ferox in order to ensure a good neutral first game where neither character has a significant advantage, then the loser of the game can choose whatever stage they want to go on from the above list. That's in line with the standard tournament format of neutral/counterpicks.

count me in, heres my code. 5343 9913 5019

btw i think cutsom moves should be allowed, but NOT equipment

edit: i also agree with Kirb's proposed stage list, minus guar plain and tomodachi life
    Last edited by astroninja1; October 9th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

yeah, what Kirb has suggested seems pretty tame for both sides of the argument, though I personally would exclude Corneria, Boxing Ring, and Rainbow Road (MAYBE Paper Mario because the first and third forms are hella weird but shruggggggg), and a flatout ban of equipment - even the basic stat boosts that don't provide extra bonuses aren't really kosher, because as Dyna said, it completely changes how your character's mechanics work.

if we follow something like that, I'd have no qualms with participating in this. But the stage list right now, as well as equipment in general, is kind of a deal breaker for me. That said, I'm one of many, so

hey look a tumblr

If there was a broom Pokemon, it'll become the best sweeper taiwanman0610's Avatar

I'll be interested in joining. My FC: 3394-3550-2241.

I personally don't really care about equipment and custom moves. I prefer fighting as the vanilla character, but I'm okay with other people using them. Though, there are some extra attributes on equipment that are kinda questionable. Taking a look through the ones I have, a few attributes that stand out to me that might have balancing issues could be the ones that auto-heal/heal while crouching. There're also the ones that give you a weapon, like a Home-run bat or a Beam Sword. I'm not sure if they'll still spawn the items if items are turned off, but if they do, it might cause some trouble.

I agree with the stage list that Kirb suggested.

3DS FC: 3394-3550-2241

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

So much I could quote, but I'm on a tight schedule so I'll have to keep it short.

What Dyna and Kirb said summed up my eelings about this pretty well. It's not a super serious competition with money on the line, it's for fun, with only the most broken stuff being banned. I'm not sure if a lot of people would even like having over half of the stages banned. I mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I would love to participate, but I'm being a bit put off by all the competitive talk.
    This is something I wanna avoid whenever possible. There are also a lot of casual players here, this isn't Smashboards or the likes. Right now people seem kinda 50/50 on the whole stage list and I wanna try to satisfy everyone.... even if such a thing is never possible. But seeing as more people than I thought are having problems with walk-offs, I'll take another look at the list later.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfice
    Rainbow Road: It's a Port Town Aero Drive reskin, which is also illegal
    It's much tamer though. There are only 8 cars as opposed to 30 and they are much weaker. The F-Zero gliders could kill you at low percentages already, the Shy Guys can't.

Gerudo Valley: Twinrova randomly appears and makes half of the stage impossible to fight on, breakable bridge promotes walkoff abuse
    Actually, it's not random, they immidiately appear after the bridge gets destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MathematicalVoid View Post
    I'm not really interested in joining anymore. Not a big fan of competitive rules in no-risks play. Sorry.
    Why did you join to begin with then? Anyway, sure, done.

And Tai, I realize that one of my first questions did get overlooked - what's the format of this? I'm assuming round robin given how it's spread out over a number of days, but you never did confirm nor deny this
    Oh sorry, must've missed that. Nah, it's a standard tourney, it's just that long to ensure everyone has enough time to battle, timezones and all that.

ok if its a standard format, then will it be single elimination or double elimination? i prefer double since it gives you a second chance in a losers bracket even if you lose once

Quote Originally Posted by MathematicalVoid View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if anyone would agree with me.
    Eh, well I really do kinda just prefer playing for fun, rather than for glory, so you're not the only one. I just think the stages that give you buffs should be banned, like find mii, for example.

if i were to name specific qualities for banning stages, i would say random buffs and scrolling. i absolutely refuse to play on an autoscroller, and i dont like the ones that give buffs if im trying to have a serious match. bosses are generally not a problem for me, aside from the flying men on magicant, and i dont mind walk offs either. other then that anything im against is just cause its not fun to play on for me
    Last edited by astroninja1; October 10th, 2014 at 05:30 AM.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

Alright, what about this stage list?
    Spoiler: Banned stages (marked with * are the ones I'm still really unsure about 
    Note: I won't ban walk-offs for the sake of being walk-off and the same goes for autoscrollers. For example, if it weren't for the pillars, I'd allow 3D Land.

Quote Originally Posted by astroninja1 View Post
    ok if its a standard format, then will it be single elimination or double elimination? i prefer double since it gives you a second chance in a losers bracket even if you lose once
    I'd actually hear some opinions about this from everyone. I personally think doubles is the better choice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by astroninja1 View Post
    if i were to name specific qualities for banning stages, i would say random buffs and scrolling. i absolutely refuse to play on an autoscroller, [...]
    Lemme tell you one thing though, even though the new preliminary stage list doesn't have an auto-scroller, but if it had one it it would be chosen against you and you refused, that would count as a win for your opponent, just so you know.

I want to line the pieces up. Yours... and mine. Luigiguy78's Avatar

I'm in.

FC: 1332-9011-4143

Let the sun shine on the Ice gym!
    Managed to defeat Keeby's fire gym!

I might join in, it depends on whether I can get a decent connection for my 3DS here at school.
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

I think double elimination should be the way to go, even if it slightly elongates the tournament, everyone still has a good chance to play. On that note, while I'm not sure exactly how to do the details for it, we could possibly have the original tourney bracket and then a first-loss bracket for those who lose their first match. Somewhere along the finals(?) you may be able to have the two intersect, but it also places people of equal skill level closer to each other along the way. (...theoretically!)

I dunno, I just remember a Brawl tourney on a Mario forum I used to go on that did the system and it worked pretty well, but we may not be large enough to justify that anyways. (it doesn't help I don't remember the specifics, haha) Just a thought!
    They say you can't keep a good man down, but some prefer to take in the scenery while they're there.

well i think the way it was handled on tourney i was in recently was that where the winners of each round in losers bracket faced the losers of the next round from winners bracket? or something along those lines

The Villager of Death

Hold a spot for me until I got the game in a few days.

Thread Information