Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cross Zone

Re: The Cross Zone

Robin looked at the remaining rock monster, slamming its body around without regard to battle technique. She was too far away for a physical hit, but perhaps a tome would do the trick. 'Without the head and torso, it's bound to be faster... but one hit is better than nothing', she thought, formulating the strategy in her head.
    Robin approached the stone sister, took out her Bolganone tome and aimed. The stone monster was, for a brief moment, engulfed by flames that shot up from the ground.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Zero was not so fortunate, the Stone Sister struck him in his abdomen and sent him flying over the fountain. Being quick on his feet, he managed to land on them without too much further trouble.

The intensity of the flames, and the relatively fewer sources for the heat to penetrate, resulted in what was actually a very similar result to the first one, the Stone Sister began to melt, and because of a bit of lucky timing, it slammed its fists into the ground as it was doing so. And as the stone cooled and solidified, the creature found itself hardened, all of its limbs stuck to the ground. Luciana then ran up to the creature and found a chink in its armor right in its stomach. She shoved a hand in there, lit it up, and the last Stone Sister fell as nothing more than a pile of rocks.

"Intriguing," called the blue stone man. "The implications of this battle are staggering. But they also lie beyond your current comprehension. You wish to know my name, so be it. I am Svein, and I do not have time for this."

With that, he splayed out his normal looking hand, and the fountain in the middle of all of them starting glowing once more. All seven of them felt themselves being pulled into the fountain.

And then darkness.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

CHAPTER 1: Initial Testing

The group awoke in a very sterile looking rectangular room. There were two visual cues that helped to split the room in half. One was a trench going across the middle, it's bottom unseeable and possibly nonexistent. The other was that one half, the half that the group found themselves on, was coated entirely in white tiles, while the other half was coated entirely in black. There were two large red buttons situated on the floor, one on either side of the room, the one on their side had a trail of dots leading to the trench, the one on the other side had a trail of dots leading to the door. Furthermore, on the half adjacent to the group, there was a smaller button on a pedestal that seemed to be connected to a tube running from the ceiling. Finally, on both sides of the room there was a door, both of them sealed shut and with no apparent way of opening, they both held on them the image of a cartoon man running.

One of the party's members probably found this location horrifyingly familiar.

"Ugh...I don't feel so hot." I look around. "Reminds me of a puzzle game type thing. White, black, buttons, circuits. And that door." I look at the rest of the party and shrug. "Or maybe it's just me."
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Luciana observed the new location with caution, carefully and slowly approaching the large trench in the middle.

"I don't know if I could even jump this." she said to no one in particular.

She turned back around and pressed down on the nearby button with her foot, as soon as she did a beam of light stretched along the trench, filling it in and giving the impression of one continuous stretch of floor as opposed to two divided sections.
    She scratched her head in bewilderment.

"Does, uh,
    does anyone want to check if we can walk on that?"

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

"The hell..."

Zan grumbled a bit, glancing about at the rather... sterile looking environment. "I'm tellin' ya, I don't like all this teleportin' about we've been doin'."

The gunman paused as the beam of light extended across the trench, and he glanced at Luciana, before shrugging.

"Why not. I'll go for it." He responded, drawing his sword just in case he needed to helicopter back over. And with that, he took a step forward, dusty boot moving to try to rest on the beam of light.

It was
    solid.
    Very solid.
    You could probably back a pickup (or the nearest temporally appropriate equivalent) onto this thing it was so solid.
    Though it would seem that it would only remain that way so long as the button was depressed.

Chell was rather miffed by the change of locale.

And by miffed, I mean terrified. Stressed. Whelmed, even. But, the stress was short lived. She collected herself, as she always did, and took a deep breath. Her eyes trailed the dots on the floor, and saw the connection between the door and the unoccupied red button. She connected the dots (heh) rather quickly, strolling over to the red button and taking a stance upon it.

She was rather sure of what the effect would be.

As one might suspect, the door on the other side of the room opened.
    As one might not have suspected, there was a man standing behind the door, looking mildly surprised and possibly amused at having the door in front of him opened when it looked like he was about to open it himself.

Of course, it was a bit hard to discern an emotion behind his dark sunglasses. In fact, everything on him was dark, he wore black leather shirt, coat, pants, boots, gloves, the only thing not black on his person was his hair, blond, slicked back and greasy looking.

"Oh," he said in a gravelly, dry voice. "Pardon me."
    In the blink of an eye he rushed forward and before anyone could react his hand was at Chell's throat.

Luciana made to rush for her, but Zan was still standing on the bridge.

"So you are the new test subjects I was promised. How very," he looked Chell over for a moment. "average."
    His gaze began to rove about the room. "Boring. Boring. Boring." he lingered for a moment on Neptune. "Oh, you might be fun to dissect." And he continued.
    "Boring. Boring." he let out a disappointed sigh. "Infinite worlds colliding together and all I get to show for it are a bunch of regular humans. No matter. You'll work for testing my virus all the same."

Luciana was too shocked to speak, but she knew who this man was. Albert Wesker, a bioterrorist from the early 2000's. He should have died back in 2038. But then again, she had to remind herself, time was falling apart as well as space.

"...virus..."
    And I flip the &&&& out...internally.
    Externally, it takes only a few moments to rez the avatar, and within 1.76 seconds of beginning the motion, the man now has eight lines of force drawn between himself and a stack of polygons.
    "Pardon my french, asshole, but you will define the context of the word 'virus', and you will begin explaining before 3 seconds, starting now."
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Chell let out an involuntary GkK! sound when Wesker grabbed her. Her eyes widened. Something about this man was off, and it made her uneasy. Trying to think fast, her eyes darted around the room. There had to be something, anything to help her out.

Chell quickly aimed her portal gun at the walls of the trench between the room's sides, creating the blue portal at the base of the light bride. Then, she pointed her gun, while the man was distracted with being rudely judgmental, at the wall beside her and the man, lined up so as to make sure the portal is next to him. In an instant, the blue and orange portals linked, and a hard light walkway flew at Wesker with the speed of physics.

Wesker gave another sigh.
    "Violence and ignorance, the two worst traits of humanity. Listen well, I'll say this once.
    "A virus is a biological organism, a microscopic collection of acids and proteins that replicates and mutates the cells of a living host. But that's merely a broad medical definition, my virus involves-"

And just then hard light flew at Wesker's face.
    He was knocked across the room, but midway through his arc he vanished in a puff of purple smoke. Another puff signified his return as he appeared behind the red button near the door. He snapped his jaw back into place and looked positively furious.

"Cheap trick, Lab Rat. I'll give you one last chance, surrender now and I'll make sure you won't face the humility of dying in front of your new friends."
    His last word was said with the emphasis needed to punctuate the swift downward kick he gave to the door's button, a kick powerful enough to shatter the glass casing. The door opened as usual and out of it stumbled four zombies in glasses and lab coats, as well as two of what appeared to be some kind of cross between a bat and a dragon.

The zombies began to instantly shuffle slowly towards Chell while the two Lindwurms flew straight up towards the ceiling, circling the group and looking for an opportunity to strike.
    Last edited by TheMightyBox; September 11th, 2014 at 06:31 AM.

Fire Emblem for Virtual Console! GM_3826's Avatar

Neptune was honestly somewhat frightened by the change of local. What do they DO here? Do they test all sorts of poisons on hapless test subjects? Do they mutate humans and turn them into zombies?
    Then, a man appeared.
    'Once again, he looks oddly familiar...' Neptune groaned.
    'Wait, did he just say he was going to dissect me?' Neptune shuddered.
    'Uh... Er...'
    Then the zombies came.
    'One of them was right!'
    Neptune took out her katana.
    "You're not going to lay a finger on me!"
    And thus Neptune sprinted, focusing her energy on stabbing Wesker.
    The zombies would be there for the others to attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Spoiler: Here is my GPXPlus Party. 

Ignorance my ass, I know what I virus is. I said context, and he doesn't know squat about the viruses I've had to deal with. But without knowing what his virus does, I can't determine which one is worse...but I'm hedging my bets that biological is worse, seeing as I can recode computers, not genes.
    Where was I? Oh right, 4 zombies, 2 flyers, and one man, and the man is taken. Should I hit the flyers because they're harder for the others, or the zombies because "Lab Rat"?
    I quadlock each flyer.
    Last edited by NiGHTcapD; September 11th, 2014 at 12:50 PM.

As Neptune went in to stab Wesker, he didn't dodge. Well it didn't look like he did at any rate. As soon as Neptune stabbed he just was not in front of her katana anymore, he was slightly to the left. And as she went to stab again, he was just slightly to the right. This happened about three more times before Wesker said "Disappointing." and vanished entirely at her sword stab.
    Where exactly he went wasn't a mystery for long though, as Neptune felt a boot slamming into her back straight towards the now closed door.

Rez fired upon both the Lindwurms, one was close enough that it got shot directly and started to stagger and retain its balance mid-air, the other dodged the attack and flew towards Rez, feet out and prepared to scratch.

It...missed? These are lockon shots! They fire instant lasers along established lines of force!
    Then again, this isn't the network. I'd better stay on my toes.
    I lock on to each talon once and release the octo. "Someone get those zombies!"

"I got it, I got it!" Neptune shouted. "Geez, I get back to fighting you later." Neptune glared at Albert.
    Neptune once again sprinted.
    "I'll kill all the zombies! I'll... cut their heads off!"
    Then it quickly became apparent the zombies were much faster than she thought.
    "Crap!" Neptune aimed to stab one of the zombies that had ran towards her, looking to incapacitate it. If that succeeded, she kept her eye out for any more. If they walked up to her, she would stab them. No "unless".
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Robin was barely startled by the change in locale; after all, she was expecting it. And despite the unfamiliarity of her surroundings, she kept her cool.
    At least until the door revealed something she never expected to see again. "Risen!"
    Despite this, she quickly regained her composure; she had fought them before, why would they pose a threat now?
    Robin approached one of the zombies. They were fast, but so was she; she should at least get one hit in.
    Taking out her tome, she aimed and fired; as the flames shot upward, a fiery inferno engulfed the undead beast for a moment.

The Lindwurm, interrupted by Rez's blasts, stumbles in mid-air and falls directly on him, knocking Rez to the ground.

Wesker gave a light chuckle to Neptune's glare, but was otherwise content to sit back and let his zombies do the dirty work.
    2 of the zombies changed their target from Chell to Neptune, stumbling over to her with attempt to chomp into her giant anime head.
    Neptune managed to stab the first one in the chest, it let out a moan, or maybe it was more akin to a scream, and collapsed onto the floor. Looks like you got a lucky shot there and hit a vital.
    The second one, well the second one erupted into a burst of flames before it could close to Neptune. Speakin' o which,

The second zombie approaching Neptune was hit directly by Robin's attack, and when the flames receded there was nothing left of the thing except a skeleton.
    That left two zombies and two Lindwurms. And one of the Lindwurms saw its chance and attempted to divebomb Robin as she was busy killing zombies.

"I'll help you out, there!" Neptune once again sprinted towards the enemy.
    'Wow, is that some sort of bat dragon? It's... kinda chubby. And ugly.' Neptune thought as she closed in on the Lindwurm.
    Neptune jumped in midair, and aimed to plant her blade inside the Lindwurm.

"Gerroffamee!" Things don't derez here in reality. They maintain velocity, and I maintain a physical form. How long is it going to take before I get this through my head?

As Neptune took on a lyndwurm, Robin went for the other. 'Are these wyvern? They're a bit small, for wyvern...', she thought as she approached it. A strategy popped into her head. 'Wyvern or not, these beasts are flyers; wind should be effective for reasons that are unclear and may be just a product of our creators' desires'.
    "You're finished!"
    Robin switched her tome to Arcwind and aimed. A violent gust of wind arose, flying toward the wyrm.
    Last edited by Jeff Andonuts; September 11th, 2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Andonuts View Post
    Robin switched her tome to Arcwind and aimed. A violent gust of wind arose, flying toward the wyrm.
    (As in, the one on top of Rez. Yeah, that'll work.)

Quote Originally Posted by NiGHTcapD View Post
    (As in, the one on top of Rez. Yeah, that'll work.)
    ((Oh.
    ...I guess that would definitely get it off you though?))

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Andonuts View Post
    ((Oh.
    ...I guess that would definitely get it off you though?))
    (((I am okay with this.)))
    I notice the incoming...something, and lay flat on my back. With any luck, it'll get the flyer off and let me get up.

Thread Information