Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cross Zone

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

The Cross Zone

It was midday. If you looked at a watch or a clocktower or one of them fancy new smartphones that were hooked up to a satellite circling the earth, any one of them could have told you that it was somewhere around 1:25 in the afternoon, like I said, midday. But it certainly didn’t feel like midday, armies of gray clouds covered the sky, blocking out the sun and drenching the land below it with a torrent of rain. And to top it off, this onslaught of water didn’t even have the decency to bring in accompanying winds to truly make the situation feel like a proper disaster.
    And there, in the middle of it all was a woman who could very easily be described as incredibly foolish. For one, in accompaniment to what was an otherwise sensible ensemble of a beige trench coat, wide brimmed hat, and some pretty thick boots, was a pair of aviators, no doubt obstructing her vision in the already difficult to see through torrent. And for two, she was kneeling down in a public park, entirely alone as most other people had the good sense to stay inside for such a downpour, and appeared to be carving a very intricate symbol into the ground, which in itself was difficult enough as, if I was not very clear on the matter,
    it was raining very hard.

After having spent a good 20 minutes on the symbol, she got to her feet and held up a gloved hand, the symbol began to give off a faint glow and with a tiny upward twitch of her hand, an almost beckoning motion, a large chunk of the land in front of her rose floating into the air, revealing a cavern underneath that even from a distance, was obviously produced by human hands.
    The woman pumped her fist in excitement and, in another action that could easily be considered foolish, jumped straight into the cavern, almost 20 feet above the floor below. After ten feet of falling, however, she pushed both hands to her side and plumes of flame shot out of both, slowing her descent just before she touched the bottom. She finally removed her aviators as the large chunk of land fell back into place plunging the cavern into complete and total darkness. Though any bystander wouldn’t have been able to see the action, she additionally removed one of her gloves and with a flex, her hand flooded with light, each finger tip showering the cavern with it. Three things became immediately obvious.

1) The cavern had not been used in a long time, each step she took left a powerful dent in the great accumulation of dust the floor had.
    2) The cavern seemed to only have one purpose, there were no extra rooms, no features, and no structures except for a pedestal on one end.
    3) There was a pedestal on one end that held in it a giant blue wedge shaped rock with lines stretching and intertwining across it in a complex pattern, and the whole thing was taller than the woman was.

Whatever this rock was, it excited the woman to no end, she approached the thing with the biggest of smiles, muttering something about a sister. It appeared that she was in such an enraptured state that she ignored the smart thing to do in such a situation and straight up placed her ungloved hand on the stone.

Instantly the stone sprung to life, its patterned lines pulsed blue and the stone itself began levitating a full foot into the air. Instantly the woman’s excited expression turned to one of horror. She began to take steps away from the stone, but a shockwave emanating from the stone sped up the process, sending her flying back into the opposite wall. In a hurry, she reached a hand into her jacket and pulled out a manilla folder, only slightly damaged by water, and opened it up, pulling several official looking documents of the only other recorded incident of such an event. The documents mentioned that the stone’s power seemed to concentrate best around water. She asked herself whether there were any such spots in her near vicinity.

The answer very quickly dawned on her.

Oh no…

Spoiler: “Crosspedia” 
    Last edited by TheMightyBox; September 24th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Re: The Cross Zone

PROLOGUE: Wanders

In a flash of light, six figures appeared next to a running, babbling fountain. A young girl, a cowboy, a hacker, a reploid, a tactician, and an experiment. None of them knew who each other were or how they had gotten there. To the south was a dirt road that split into multiple branching paths, a maze of hedgery, and eventually an iron gate that appeared to be locked. To the east and west were rivers that would have impeded forward progress had it not been for the bridges, but right after that were fences so the option of traveling that way went straight out. And to the north was a giant and decadent red and gold mansion.
    The mansion, and in fact the entire property was under ownership of the illustrious Koryuji family, something that would only be apparent to one of these figures that had so suddenly appeared.

How very strange.

((btw guys, if you ever have questions on what a character or enemy looks like, check the Crosspedia in the OP
    Now is the time for you to introduce yourselves, get situated, have your character get their bearings, etc.))

Fire Emblem for Virtual Console! GM_3826's Avatar

((Actually, Neptune’s hair is more of a lavender.
    Anyways, I’m just going to assume Rez and Zan are from games I’ve never played, like what Neptune most likely is to most of you. Apparently one is from the game this is based on? I kinda quit like, one chapter into it, so I wouldn’t know. God, Neptune is kinda hard to write. Thank god she’s just one Neptune. In case you don’t have any idea what that means, she’s from a series with multiple alternate dimensions.
    Anyways, let’s begin.))

“Ow… Did I fall on my head or something?” Neptune opened her eyes. “I… think I’ve seen two of you somewhere before?” Neptune got up.
    Neptune, although she didn’t realize it, had come into contact with that infernal device named a “Fourth Wall.”
    “...Wait, this is real life! How did someone manage this? Were they a supergenius? A magician? I... can't really explain this, can I?" Neptune shrugged. "But seriously, who are you?” Neptune felt a sort of familiarity and foreigness. It’s probably the fact that in her universe, their games most likely had counterparts.
    “...Oh, well. Hey, I’m Neptune! Can you pronounce that? Apparently people have been having problems pronouncing my name lately. You can call me Neptune, Nep-Nep, Neppie, Neptuna… Just not Neptunia. I’m fine with any other name, but we don’t want to be confusing peeps.” Neptune held out her hand, for anyone to grab, shake, or bump.
    She seemed to fail to realize that these people had no idea what she was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Spoiler: Here is my GPXPlus Party. 

(The only character I don't recognize is Zan.)
    "I can pronounce that." I walk over to her and shake her hand. "Call me Rez." I turn to look at the whole group. "And does anyone here know where we are? Or why?" A pause, as my brain begins to catch up on the whole situation. "...who are you guys anyways?"
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

"Damn! I can't believe this is happening again!" Trying to recall what exactly had occurred, Zero turned to face the young man and spoke. "Anyway, I'm Zero, Maverick Hunter and Commander of the Special 0 Unit. I've been through something like this before, but the details are…confusing."
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

The gunslinger blinked, his brain trying to catch up and adjust to the fact that he was no longer in the rolling plains of the west, and instead was... where WAS he? He turned his head, a thumb lifting the brim of his his dusty old hat. His blue eyes narrowed as they rest on the ornate red and gold mansion to the north, looking decidedly eastern in origin.

"That building... it looks ZIPANGese..." He said aloud, before hearing more voices. He turned his head, only now realizing that he wasn't alone as a short gal with lavender hair began to babble. "... The hell are you on about?"

His question fell on deaf ears as others began to introduce themselves. Still... a bit of a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. He never could down a chance to introduce himself.

"Who am I?" He said, hands crossing over his hips, his left hand resting on the handle of his six-shooter, and his right gripping the hilt of his katana. With a smooth motion, he drew both. "I'm the Super Ultra Sexy Hero..." And with a pause, he struck a pose, his smile now a full-blown grin. "ZAN!".

Thinking about how cool he must look, he quickly holstered his six gun and sheathed his sword, arms now crossed over chest as he looked everyone over. "... So, on that note: I guess we haven't figured out where the hell we are, have we?"
    Last edited by Commodore Jim; September 3rd, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

I look at Zan weird. In my opinion, he's overacting, and would seem a lot cooler if he acted a bit less immature. But then again, who the hell am I to judge? I don't know the guy, and I'm not even sure we're from the same planet...I'm not sure about any of them. "...right. No, we haven't...but Zero, was it? apparently has been here before-metaphorically speaking, of course." I turn to the red-armored guy. "Would you care to tell us anything about it?"
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Chell was silent, as is usual for her. Before her were a variety of people who were clearly off the deep end in one way or another. And that guy, what's up with his pony tail? And red armor? Really? Well, odd fashion aside, he seemed to know what was going on. Otherwise why would he have said, and I'm quoting here, "Damn! I can't believe this is happening again!" Note that last word. "Again." Implying that, obviously, he (or she, who can tell with that ponytail) was in a situation similar to this one before. Thus, Chell considered approaching him (her?).

But ultimately decided against it. He seemed a bit on edge, and she was not one to prod people who are on edge. Usually. Ok, that one time, but she deserved it. And so did the British one.

Therefore, Chell chose to greet this Zan fellow first. He was very enthusiastic, and that sort of enthusiasm tends to rub off on voiceless protagonists like herself. Approaching the man, Chell held out her free hand, as if to say, 'shake my hand, loud guy'.

Before another word could be uttered, especially by those who did not at current feel like uttering words, the fountain that group had been standing around began to light with enough intensity to match the sun. Or perhaps a smaller, minor star.
    Certainly bright enough to blind anyone that would dare stare directly into it, so those who had gathered around shielded their eyes for the brief moment of illumination, and when they looked back one new person had appeared at the very end, facing south. Her wide-brimmed hat and matching trench coat were sopping wet, like she had been swimming in the fountain beforehand (though this was not the case), and she too was shielding her eyes, but from the sun's natural rays. Groping around in her inside pocket, she pulled out a pair of brown aviators and placed them on her face.

Though the action was masked, she blinked the spots out of her eyes and looked around, not having noticed the people around her, she reached into her jacket again and this time pulled out a manilla folder. Digging inside, she quickly found what she was looking for, a photograph, and began comparing what she saw around her with the photo in her hand.
    She slowly turned around, looking back and forth between the photo and the world around her, she faced north and the combined sight of the mansion and the group gathered there seemed to simultaneously confirm her suspicion and instill a sense of utter shock and horror.

"Oh God." was all she said for the brief moment. When the moment had passed she said a lot more.

"I- Look I'm- I'm really sorry about this- I just- God, there was- and the stone- was it-"

She paused once more and cleared her throat. Instantly some of the panicked shrill receded from her voice.

"Let me see if I can explain what's going on. This must be very confusing for all of you, and trust me, it's confusing for me too, but let me just start from the beginning.
    In the year 2014, there was an incident involving the activation of what was called, The Portalstone, an ancient artifact that began to tear down the walls of time and space and would have rewritten reality, but a group heroes collected from all over time and space ended up stopping such a fate from happening.
    I, on the other hand, come from the year 2098, my name is Luciana Cervantes and I'm a supernatural detective. For the past couple months I've been searching for what I had believed to be a sister to the Portalstone, and I may have just found it. But when I touched it, something happened, the stone activated and now it looks like all that's going to happen again.
    I understand that you may all have a lot of questions, and I'll try to answer them the best I can. Details on the original event are sketchy, however, it was probable that the entire thing was covered up by the Japanese government, so I can't guarantee to know any more than you do."

Neptune spent a few seconds thinking of what questions she would ask. Then, she asked them very quickly.
    "Have video game characters ever made it here before? And why does everything have to be so BRIGHT when teleported? Can't it just, like, pop into existence?"

((An important thing to note, although it's not truly the answer to her problem (Again, she's not suddenly real, she's come into contact with the fourth wall), the answer to the first question is yes, although it's a very special case.))
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

"Video game characters?"
    Luciana scratched the back of her neck in thought.
    "Well, there were reports of a couple of kids in Japan who wound up stuck in an online virtual reality game for longer than they should have been, and the time frame lines up with the first incident well enough. So, maybe?"

Some of the water accumulated in her hair suddenly slid down her sleeve, touching her still dry forearm, and at that point Luciana realized that she was still wet.
    She cupped one of her hands and a small ball of fire appeared in her palm, she began to move it over herself like a hairdryer, and the water all over her began to slowly evaporate.

Neptune stared at the ball of fire for a little bit.
    '...Alright, I'm not even entirely sure this is real, anymore.' Neptune thought. 'Probably just having a REALLY weird dream.'
    She goes along with it, anyhow.

Zero smirked at the newcomer. "I don't recall ever calling myself a hero…but another Portalstone? Hardly a fight."
    He resumed his normal stance, seemingly indifferent to the much smaller group than what he had been part of.
    Don't worry!
    Worry!

I was frozen in shock as soon as she appeared, but the fireball...thawed me, for lack of a better term. Yet my reaction was still a bit delayed. "Whoa whoa whoa! Hold the phone here! Where'd the laws of physics go?" I'm kind of losing it. Fireballs? It only really takes oxygen, combustible molecules, and a spark. Video game characters? I deal with that on and off. But portals? Teleportation? Time travel? Not possible! Not yet, anyways...
    I take a deep breath and try to calm down. "How...broken, is physics right now?" I'm kind of freaking out over the apparent conflicting nature of my world and this one, probably embarrassing myself in the process...then again, most of us don't really know anything about the situation, so perfectly normal reaction, I guess. "Sorry, I just kinda need to know what rules we're playing by here..." Completely true statement. Programmers need to know the programming language, hackers doubly so.

"Another..." Luciana muttered to herself.
    She let the fire in her hand go out, and once again, she reached into her jacket and pulled out a manilla folder, whether this one was the same as the last is hard to say, but digging in she managed to pull out a couple of blurry photographs of a large group of people. She looked from the photos to Zero repeatedly, before something in her brain clicked.
    "Oh, you must be one of the future robots. Um, KOS-MOS?"

At that point the 21st century male spoke up, voicing concern about the laws of physics.
    "Physics aren't entirely broken. Not yet, anyways. If what I've read is true the calamity will probably start breaking down walls exponentially, at the moment there needs to be certain triggers, something like water or a doorway that'll cause teleportation. If this doesn't stop soon though, barriers are going to start breaking, and then blending, and at the end there won't really be a difference anymore."

She paused for a moment to think.

"If I'm understanding our situation correctly."

She replaced the folder and relit the fire in her hand and went back to the task of drying herself.

I breathe a sigh of relief. Thank god I don't have to relearn anything. I may have to scan one of these "triggers", both on and-"Wait. Water? What's water have to do with this?"

Robin was as startled at the others at the sudden change in locale. Her eyes struggled to adjust to the harsh sunlight; she had been asleep, and the flash of light had been a rude awakening.
    She sized up the situation. She was surrounded by strangers, though not for the first time. Her memories were, however, intact.
    The newcomer, the strangely dressed woman, appeared to be casting some form of Fire magic... without a tome. This baffled Robin, but then again, she had seen stranger things.
    'Heroes', the woman had said. Assuming the circumstances were the same, everyone around the fountain was a hero of some sort. All of them were dressed in strange garb, unlike anything she'd seen before. However, she had no reason to disbelieve the woman. But she did have a question or two to ask.
    "If I'm to be allowed to ask, exactly what do we have to do with this situation?" Robin pondered for a moment. If they had to fight to avert the... 'rewriting' of reality, perhaps she could be a valuable strategic asset.

Luciana shrugged at the man with the visor. "There's no rhyme or reason to the rifts, but in the last incident there were multiple instances of a rift concentrating around a body of water, usually leading to one as well. It makes as much sense as the concept of doorways holding rifts."

The medieval girl spoke up.

"In order to stop this, we'd have to find this Sisterstone and deactivate it. The issue is how we find it considering that it's stuck about 80 years in the future or how we deactivate it considering I don't know how it activated in the first place."

Luciana rubbed her chin for a moment.

"And of course, if any of you don't want to participate you're free to leave. I wish you luck finding your way back, but I won't force you into anything you don't want to be a part of."

Zero chose to ignore the misnaming and instead responded to Luciana's latest statement. "I've never let any challenge stand in my way, and I won't hesitate now!", clenching his fist as he said this. "We're likely to run into trouble, though." Zero glanced at Zan again. Judging by his motions, the man clearly knew his way around a blade. "And I fight better with a partner.", he said as he stepped forward. The swordsman was also arrogant. They'd just get in each other's way. "Orange! You with me?"
    Don't worry!
    Worry!

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

Zan blinked as the woman with the strange-looking gun stepped forward, holding out a hand.

"Ah, howdy there, ma'am." He replied his own leather gloved hand grasping hers in a quick, firm shake. "Nice to meet ya."

Releasing her hand, he turned his head to the woman who seemed to most understand the situation, peering at her from under the brim of his hat. It was a lot to swallow... portals and cover ups and all sorts of stuff that flew over his head. Still... he'd seen some weird stuff himself in his time, so he figured he'd play along rather than express disbelief. She seemed to know what she was talkin' about, at least. She made it clear that the only way to fix things was to take action... now that was a sentiment that sang true to Johnny-- that is to say, ZAN's heart.

"You can sure as hell count me in." He spoke up. "Beats doin' nothin'. Besides, if we run into any ninjas, samurai, or the like... well, I've got experience in that department."

Showing off, as usual, he drew his six shooter, twirling it on his finger, then tossing it into the air, before letting it fall right back into its holster.

"Just leave it to Zan and his pals, Johnny No More and Demon Slayer." He said, tapping on his revolver and katana respectively.

"...speaking of fighting and partners, I guess I should ask. Do all of us have some sort of combat experience, or at least a weapon of some kind? I mean, you (Zero) have armor-and you just said you could fight. You (Zan) have great power from ambidexterity. You (Robin)...have a barely visible...scabbard, I think? And you (Luciana) just made fireballs, so you've at least got a trick or two up your sleeve, possibly literally. But you two (Neptune and Chell), I don't see any real weapons, and you haven't said anything about fighting anyone, ever." I turn to Zero. "Which actually brings up another question. Why did you ask her (Chell) to partner up with you?"
    (IRL, I may have played a bit too much PLvAA before this RP began...I'll get better, I swear.)

Neptune simply takes out her katana.
    "Although this may seem kinda... bad, (And not in the good way!), I do have some tricks up my sleeve! Even if they amount to what may be literal Deus Ex Machina..."

"Huh? Um…" Zero began to stammer, a chip showing in his cool exterior. "Because she's carrying a Buster! I prefer working with ranged attackers."
    Whew!, he thought, I'm glad I didn't say it was because I felt the hurt she's suffered…
    "What about you? What combat ability do you have?", he said to Rez, feeling relieved that he had turned the conversation around.
    Don't worry!
    Worry!

Neptune simply takes out her katana.
    "That'll work fine."
    "Because she's carrying a Buster! I prefer working with ranged attackers."
    "I'm going to assume 'Buster' is just another word for 'gun'...although, for some reason, I'm not entirely sure that's a weapon."
    "What about you? What combat ability do you have?"
    "Well, I don't have any combat experience myself, per se..." I say, as I reach a hand up to the side of the visor and proceed to push a button. My visor then projects multiple black quadrilaterals with orange sides that form a humanoid shape into physical space. "...but I do have an avatar. I can show you more, if you'd like."
    Last edited by NiGHTcapD; September 5th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

"I think I've seen enough actually." came an unmistakably unfamiliar voice from the south side of the manor.
    At the gate there stood a tall, blue skinned man with a jagged purple arm and a white toga. Actually, on closer inspection, his skin was not actually skin, but it more resembled hard and uneven stone, with faint white lines tracing around his body. He very slowly approached the group but did not get within 20 feet of the nearest individual.
    "So you are the ones who would wish to oppose the merging of worlds."
    "Um, sure." replied Luciana. "And who are you?"
    The man did not reply, but hesitated for a moment.

"Let's see if we can't handle this quickly and painlessly." he eventually said.
    As if on cue, four creatures made of stone rose from the ground surrounding the group.

Luciana scoffed, and thrust her arm towards the nearest one, fire pluming out of it and streaming towards the monster,
    and bouncing off of it harmlessly, leaving the stone glowing red for a moment before returning to it's previous state.
    "Huh..."

Thread Information