What we discovered breaks all bounds of our former assumptions
    What is real

What isn't

My name is Roark
    My friends and I have just discovered the secret to achieving time travel
    Or a lesser form of it for now
    But because we didn't understand the full consequence of our actions
    Things have gotten out of hand

You may not realize the world as it is to you is only a variation of what you know
    A false iteration of how the world should be
    What I call the Alpha Timeline
    But trust me when I say the Timeline with which you are currently in
    This Beta Timeline
    Is not how the world was meant to be
    Is meant to be
    If humanity follows its path down this Beta Timeline
    Destruction on a scale none yet have witnessed in all of history awaits
    And the end is much closer than we fear

Trapped on the other side of the time stream all I can do is watch and wait
    Wait for Time to miraculously fix itself
    Or put this knowledge into your hands
    My Friends
    You who can solve these issues

Our prototype time machine is only powerful enough to send messages back in Time
    Because of how I screwed with Time in my naivete
    I am without the time machine
    But you on the other side have our machine and can do something with it
    With the ability to send messages back in Time
    You are the only ones now with the ability to correct the time continuum

The mission you must undertake in order to save all of Time is twofold
    Even though we are all in this Beta Timeline
    Your existences are in a slight deviation of the Beta Timeline
    Which separates you all from myself
    Think of it as the Wall of Unseen Time if you will
    The first step in saving Time is to converge your part of Time with mine
    So that we may help each other in correcting this mess
    The second step is to help me undo all that I have changed throughout the Timeline
    So that we may avoid the ultimate end this Beta Timeline foretells
    And hop back on to the original Alpha Timeline

You few are the last hope for humanity
    Even if humanity has yet to realize this fact
    Tread carefully now
    For Time is a fickle creature
    Who sometimes needs ample persuasion to change

~Ro

Spoiler: Time Machine 

Spoiler: Location 

Spoiler: HOW TO POST 

Spoiler: Character Sheet 

Spoiler: Characters 
    Last edited by Pikanator; September 13th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Re: Delta of Time

{Tuesday, August 12th, 202X}
    {16:24}
    {Apartment - Alpha Timeline}

The door to the apartment swung wide with great force, squeaking loudly in protest in its old age. There, partly in the the hall beyond but coming through the doorway, was Roark holding a substantial cardboard box a little larger than a microwave. Everyone looked up at Roark as he entered the room, grunting with the apparent weight of the box. Roark struggled through the doorway with the box before placing it on the round coffee table in the center of the room and turning to finally address his collective audience: his friends.

"My dear friends, thank you for all coming today to witness the next chapter of history in the making! With the assistance of you all these past few months, I, Roark, have finally been able to create the impossible. This object right here is the final piece that I needed to acquire before my plan could come to full fruition."
    Roark patted the box with a certain amount of compassion, then lifted a large black object from the inside. He placed it gently on the table and went to the backroom of the apartment, muttering to himself softly as he walked. The object now staring at the four people in the room was a bulky computer of considerable age. This computer had printed on its side the letters 'C', 'I', and 'A'.

Roark returned presently with a long cable from his high-tech computer in the backroom. This cable was something that had been created a few months prior; it was an Ethernet cable running on a secure proxy, allowing the user to browse almost every corner of the web without fear of interruption from an outside source: an auto-hacking tool, if you will. Roark connected the computer to the cable and turned the computer on, triumphant.
    Next, Roark placed the radio and unnecessarily large antenna on top of the computer unit. After connecting the two pieces of technology to each other, Roark turned back to his friends.
    "While you are all here, I shall thank the four of you in turn for your contributions so far to this project.
    Andrew, thank you for creating the custom Ethernet cable to suit this computer;
    Hunter, thank you for building an appropriate antenna for the radio;
    Carla, thank you for setting up the website necessary for this computer's operation;
    Mariya, thank you for providing this group with copies of Isaac Asimov's works and various essays on space-time theories, truly enlightening for all," Roark nodded in turn to each of the four members of his small group in turn, "Unfortunately, I can not give a demonstration of my machine today as it requires some time to warm up and operate at maximum capacity. I ask that you all return tomorrow for a proper demonstration. And if, by chance, you feel something unusually wrong with the world between now and tomorrow, return immediately. I'm sorry I am being a little vague, but that's the way it has to be for now; tomorrow shall shed new light on everything."

{19:46}

Roark waved goodbye as everyone left the apartment above the laundromat. The group of four parted ways, anxious for Roark's report the next day.

{Wednesday, August 13th, 202X}
    {02:40}

Three separate reports of a meteor shower in the sky above the laundromat are called in to astronomers. The phenomenon can not be explained.

{Tuesday, August 26th, 202X}
    {10:45}
    {Beta Timeline}

Four different people suddenly find that they have memories of a past they have never known prior to that day. Andrew, Hunter, Carla, and Mariya all now find themselves outside a laundromat where they all remember joining Roark two weeks ago for a presentation of a new machine and a new era of history Ö

((Welcome to the RP! make sure when posting you add a {Timestamp} to your characterís actions similar to what I have done. You only need to provide the time in increments of hours:minutes.
    As you read above, you all are starting on the street in front of the laundromat. You all know each other, but are still slightly confused as to why you remember two different pasts. Good Luck!))
    Last edited by Pikanator; September 2nd, 2014 at 05:41 PM.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

{Tuesday, August 26, 202X}

Andrew, too focused on his now-muddled memories from conflicting timelines, ignored the others, and leaned against the wall of the laundromat, shading his eyes from the bright summer sun. He remembered learning in elementary school about the space launches in the mid-1900s, the great Space Race to land on the moon and all. However, he now had additional memories of hearing the news of how NASA was disbanded decades ago, due to their inability to provide any value to mankind. One failed launch had lead to others, in a frantic rush to get something, anything, into space. His head throbbing, Andrew needed a drink.

Rubbing his head, he said to the others, in a small voice, "I'm heading inside, I have a nasty headache right now, and sunlight isn't really helping." He opened the door leading into the small room that lead into the actual laundromat as well as to the stairs leading to the room above. Ugh, it just couldn't get any worse, can it, thought Andrew irritably, beginning to head up the stairs, Roark's who-knows-where, and I really wanted to see what all that work would produce.

Infinite Energy Powering Nothing Yggdrasil's Avatar

{10:46}

Hunter looked down at the ground, scratching his head. It was a strange thing to relive memories that hadn't happened before. He was at a loss for words, to be perfectly honest with his situation. These people before him ... they looked and acted as he remembered them to be, but he could have sworn that only the day before, he hadn't known any of them. He remembered talking to his wife only the other night about theoretical paradoxes, but something like this had never come up. Why had this happened to them in particular? Just as the question formed itself in Hunter's mind, an answer bubbled to his memory's surface: a memory from two weeks prior - a memory he had been granted only in the past few hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roark
    "My dear friends, thank you for all coming today to witness the next chapter of history in the making! With the assistance of you all these past few months, I, Roark, have finally been able to create the impossible. Unfortunately, I can not give a demonstration of my machine today. I ask that you all return tomorrow for a proper demonstration. And if, by chance, you feel something unusually wrong with the world between now and tomorrow, return immediately.
    While more than a day had gone by since Roark's speech to the group, something had indeed gone wrong. Why did he remember things from a history he had never known prior to today?

With more questions than answers, Hunter followed Andrew into the laundromat. He paused at the door, turning back to address the remaining two.
    "You two should probably come upstairs too. Maybe we can find some answers in the apartment." Hunter ascended the stairs, still trying to make sense of it all.
    Fate in life ever changing
    Ever gaining; ever loosing
    Ever rising; ever falling
    A swirling tide upon the seas of time

Ever coming; ever going
    Ever smiling; ever frowning
    Such are the moments of life
    And ever onward the tide of time swirls
    Ad infinitum

Cute Little Poot

Mariya bounced on her toes and closed her eyes. This sort of thing only happens in books, she thought. She knew there had to be something wrong with time... all those theory papers and speculations would have some practical use now. But just what was wrong with time, she couldn't say. She looked up at the others, trying a small smile. It could be worse, right? They could have forgotten everything instead, and then where would they be? No, it was better to remember even the strange, disjointed bits of too much of the past.

She closed her eyes again and thought back to two weeks before. Of course, she knew the others then, but she didn't remember knowing them. A half of a memory. And then there were memories that she had two of, although they were different. It wasn't possible for her favorite author to have passed away both on November 25 one year and April 3 the next. But both were true.

Mariya desperately wanted to go back to her apartment to read and see if she could find some reason for her conflicting memories. But Hunter said something about answers, so she went inside the building behind him.

{10:46, just a little late}

Well this is weird. Especially since it's bloody impossible. But yet, here it was. Being unimpossible, right in front of Carla's mind. And it was very frustrating. Carla didn't have these memories, but she did, but she didn't. It was... hard to wrap her head around, admittedly.

She didn't want to follow Hunter up. She wanted to just, sort of, forget. Forget these other memories and go back to normal. But instead, she chose to follow him. "Answers sound really good right about now, man."

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

{10:49}

A stack of notes hung on the door of the apartment from the laundromat management. The top-most read: "Thank you for paying once again for the rent of this apartment in advance. While you haven't shown up much since your first visit, we will continue to hold the room for you until your payments cease." The notes under the first read similarly.

The apartment door opened first to Andrew, then to Hunter and the rest following. The room was virtually the same as they all had remembered it:

There was a difference between the room they all knew and this room. The room before them had eight light-bulbs ((purple dots)) hanging from various locations. The bulbs were a bit thicker and longer than the average bulb and were all currently off. They didn't hang too low off the ceiling, so their presence didn't impede maneuvering about the room.

Another thing noticed about the room was how clean it was. While the apartment certainly never became overly dusty or dingy in any way, it seemed to be extra clean as if just scrubbed to a perfect shininess. Roark wasn't the sort of man they all knew who would scrub down a room.

Finally, the mystery device. It sat on the table as it had two weeks ago during Roark's speech to them all. It was the only thing in the room with life, and the computer monitor gave off an eerie glow in the otherwise dark room. Its low hum filled the room as the four filed in.
    Last edited by Pikanator; September 16th, 2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: If I make rules, I better follow them too .-.

Infinite Energy Powering Nothing Yggdrasil's Avatar

{10:50}

Hunter walked in the room, passing Andrew on his way in. On the center of the table was the prize of the moment: the machine of mystery. Hunter wasn't sure what to make of the strange device as the memories of it slowly came back to him. In fact, he had no idea what at all it was supposed to do. Hunter could surmise from the events in the past few hours, what with memories being mangled together, that this machine had something to do with the flow of time.

Nervous, Hunter inched closer to the machine. Its hum was ominous against his own footsteps and those of his peers. He recognized the radio on top of the computer; Roark had asked him to build the antenna system for this older radio several months prior to all of these events. Radios weren't a technology unknown to him, but computers were for the most part. Full of caution, Hunter reached out a hand to touch the computer.

*bzzzt!* The monitor connected with Hunter's outstretched forefinger and released a low-voltage zap. Hunter quickly withdrew his finger and sucked on it, having been unexpectedly shocked. Hunter backpedaled from the computer and tripped over his own feet into the chair next to the table.
    "What the heck is this thing?" asked Hunter in a surprised tone. He was weary of the device on the table, the device he had a hand in building in his own minor way.
    Fate in life ever changing
    Ever gaining; ever loosing
    Ever rising; ever falling
    A swirling tide upon the seas of time

Ever coming; ever going
    Ever smiling; ever frowning
    Such are the moments of life
    And ever onward the tide of time swirls
    Ad infinitum

Thread Information