Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Nights at Freddy's

Five Nights at Freddy's

Surprised there isn't a topic about this yet... If there is, please post a link to it and, if possible, lock this topic.

So picture this: there's this guy who applies for a job as a night watch for Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. You find out shortly after you start your job that the animatronic characters that entertain the kids during the day roam the halls at night... and if they see you, they'll think your a robotic endoskeleton missing the suit, and will force your body into one, killing you in the process. You'll have to lock yourself in your office should they come near, and keep checking the security cameras to keep tabs on their movements. Problem is, doing either will drain your power, and when your run out of power, Freddy himself comes to greet you... Think you can survive five nights at Freddy's?

...By the way, you don't need to point out why you would ever come back after the first night, since that's already BEEN pointed out dozens of times. I feel like, in certain aspects of the horror genre or by video game logic, you're allowed to bend logic a little. So yeah, I've seen a lot of comments on YouTube, from people complaining it's not scary, a crappy game, or that it's lame because all the popular YouTubers are playing it.

Really, I feel like it's a good use of limited resources. For one, even though the game appears to be 3D, it's running on a 2D engine, so all the 3D effects are pre-rendered. In addition, it does a good job and giving you a feeling of helplessness. Most horror games give you some means of self-defense (some give you so much they call it action horror, and some go over board so the horror aspect can be interchangeable with any given enemy type). Here, it's all about survival, and the only thing that can protect you is the doors, as well as the camera and lights that well tell you where the killers are. Because all three drain power, you have to reserve them for when you need them the most, necessitating that you keep a mindful eye on Freddy and his gang, while learning how they movie to avoid getting killed. The fact that the game has no music, and leaves you reliant on sound and what limited vision you can helps add to the frightening atmosphere. The game uses jump-scares, which most would call a cheap tactic in regards to making things scary, but the thing is, you don't know when or where one of the robotic mascots will show up (since some of them can apparently teleport). Since seeing one of them close to you means instant death and a Game Over, it's only natural to be fearful of them and be shocked when one of them pops up when you're least expecting it.

Really, even though I haven't played this game and only seen the Game Grumps (or rather, Arin/Egoraptor, Barry, and Suzy on Steam Train) and Markiplier play it, I applaud this game's efforts for doing good for the horror genre when it comes to video games. Sure it's a bit light on story, though there ARE some juicy nuggets of insight if you look deep enough, but it really succeeds in unnerving you in a way only a good horror game would, and NOT just because the mascots are creepy-looking in general.

It's definitely a lot better then Slender, THAT'S for sure.

"You, Mario, will be a sign." Scolipede's Avatar

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's

Actually, there is a "Hidden lore" pointed out by the developer. try checking the Wikipedia page for it, it should be there. Ive already read it, and more things will make sense.

And yes, it is a lot better than slender, but slender is one of the only horror games i can think of (Off the top of my head) that doesn't use jumpscares.

Oh I know about the "hidden lore", I've been reading up on this game like crazy, mostly through it's TV Tropes page, as well as Wikipedia and the Wiki dedicated to it. It's definitely some morbid stuff... I find that I have an easier time reading and talking about horror-related stuff then I can watching or experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    I find that I have an easier time reading and talking about horror-related stuff then I can watching or experiencing it.

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

So my sister ended up buying this and we've played it together sometimes... It's the scariest game I've ever played man... So creepy ._.
    THESE ANIMALS HAUNT ME

I was too scared to play past the first night tbh :P I almost did the second one but the game creeps me out too much to play because it's just too scary, it was fun watching some let's plays though lol

I don't know if I'm just a lillyliver or whatever but don't play it unless you know what you're getting into :P Basically just watch some let's plays and know you're playing a creepy game lol... Also yes the lore is very creepy and morbid...

Ive only played it one, and it was at a friends house. me and 7 other people were taking turns, and i died on the last night. 4 out of 8 of us (Including me) could barely sleep that night.
    Im surprised that i died so quickly, because i had done a ton of reading online before we played. instead i just gave tips to the people that were player. one of us even got to night 5!

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Once you defeat the fifth night, you can go into a custom game mode in which you can set the AI difficulty. There is almost no chance of survival when the difficulty is set to the max; they can just appear inside your security hut at times, providing a swift and utter failure.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

You actually have to beat the 6th night first to get that. So far, only a small group of people actually recorded getting past level six, and finishing AI difficulty max.

Freelance Policeman

My favorite thing about this game is that even when you have all the animatronic's patterns down, they can still surprise you. Sometimes you might experience a night when all the animatronics just sit tight for most of the night and other times Bonnie can teleport right next to you before you're finished checking pirate's cove.

I have yet to beat this game, but I hope the developers are able to make some sort of sequel or add-on. I'm ready for more Freddy.

Banned

I'm just going to give it some time...
    Last edited by PikachuColoredPichu; August 28th, 2014 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max,Imean,Sam View Post
    I have yet to beat this game, but I hope the developers are able to make some sort of sequel or add-on. I'm ready for more Freddy.
    Apparently he is making a sequel, and he may even take some reccomendations as to what might make the game better. at least, this is what i read.

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

I noticed this game on Steam... although knowing me and horror games, I'll never get myself to play it... or I would, and quickly regret it.
    (I could probably watch a "let's play" without freaking out though.)
    Though as with most games with mystery I couldn't help but read up on the story, whoa bad idea.

If you are gonna watch a lets play or look at any pictures, i would recommend doing it earlier in the day when its bright. trust me, i tried watching some playthroughs at 8:49 and It took me 3 hours to get to sleep.
    Plus, i woke up at four and just sat up in my bed until 6 AM.

Good advice, I am now reminded of times when I didn't do research on horror games in the day. o_O

DarkruLegioSquallant Bias Mendicant Bias's Avatar

Okay, this game. This game is horrifying in the best way. It's a unique setting and I think the limited resource strategy is executed very well.

One thing- I can not for the life of me figure out how you're meant to monitor the Pirate Cove fox. At times if you don't check it enough he rushes you and others if you watch too much he rushes you. Is there a balance I'm missing here?
    The real heroes.

All you have to do is check moderately on him. any time you pull up the cameras, take a quick check on pirate cove. If foxy isn't in there, or the sign says ITS ME, close The left door immediately.

Although, foxy can kill you when you have the cameras up, and you only have a small window of time to close the door.

This game is... eh, it's okay. I like the setting, yeah, pretty original for a horror game. My main gripe is that it mostly gets it's scare from jump scares. That's, like, the cheapest form of horror. Not really that scary at all, honestly. But it's fun enough, passes the time.

DarkruLegioSquallant Bias Mendicant Bias's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scolipede View Post
    All you have to do is check moderately on him. any time you pull up the cameras, take a quick check on pirate cove. If foxy isn't in there, or the sign says ITS ME, close The left door immediately.

Although, foxy can kill you when you have the cameras up, and you only have a small window of time to close the door.
    Much obliged, friend. Now I'll totally be able to whoop him.
    The real heroes.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    ...By the way, you don't need to point out why you would ever come back after the first night, since that's already BEEN pointed out dozens of times. I feel like, in certain aspects of the horror genre or by video game logic, you're allowed to bend logic a little.
    I'm going to point out this part anyway, because there's a difference between bending logic a little bit, and then saying, "Ah, screw it. Let's have the protagonist be so stupid that he goes back to hell on earth for FIVE NIGHTS. I haven't really looked into the lore or background of the game (if it exists) to know if there's a reason for the protagonist to keep working there, but all I know is that if there is a reason, it had better be an insanely good reason.

That being said, I think this game would have been better if you only had to survive one night, but the night was incredibly long. That way, there would be no need to question why the player character returns night after night to work at a place that is trying to kill him.

Either way, I didn't find the game all that scary, because jumpscares are lame. The atmosphere of the game is pretty good, but the rest of the game isn't too particularly scary. Then again, I'm a twisted individual when it comes to horror, so take my opinions on this aspect with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    That being said, I think this game would have been better if you only had to survive one night, but the night was incredibly long. That way, there would be no need to question why the player character returns night after night to work at a place that is trying to kill him.
    That makes sense story wise, however gameplay wise... I am not sure.
    Now I haven't played, but from what I heard...

The game gets more intense/harder night by night, and I think you can only save after clearing a night.
    I suppose they could have split the game into 2 hours or so per level if it was one night, with time moving at a slower pace.
    Although it would break a few elements,

One there is a form of satisfaction when you survive the whole night and know you're safe,
    while clearing two hours/a level would be satisfying, you still feel like you haven't really gone anywhere, as your still in a office with active robotic monsters after you.

Two, your limited to how much power you can use each night, there are two problems if you're doing just one night.
    You could give the player a bigger amount of power to use, but if they are using to much on level 1, they won't have enough for level 5 and would have to start completely over.
    Sure you could give them a new thing of power each level, but then you have to explain how the play suddenly got fully thing of power. (They place you're working for is on a tight budget you know... yeah...)

Three, there would have to be some reason why the robots that are clawing at your door suddenly stop and go back to their starting places at the end of the certain hour/level.
    I don't know the night by night system gives you a feel of a fresh new start at the beginning of the night... I think...

Well that's my take on it, I might have different thoughts if I played it. (Which I am not. XD)
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

Ark

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    I'm going to point out this part anyway, because there's a difference between bending logic a little bit, and then saying, "Ah, screw it. Let's have the protagonist be so stupid that he goes back to hell on earth for FIVE NIGHTS. I haven't really looked into the lore or background of the game (if it exists) to know if there's a reason for the protagonist to keep working there, but all I know is that if there is a reason, it had better be an insanely good reason.
    To get paid, because it's like, his job after all. That's all the reason the game needs, honestly.

Making it one long night would make it worse on just about every level for the sake of answering a question that doesn't need to be asked. The progression from night to night allows the player to familiarize themselves with the patterns of the animatronics, all of which begin to make themselves threats as the game progresses instead of overloading the player all at once, which is good game design. That, and the resource management aspect of the game would become annoyingly difficult to manage if you end up making the nights too long. This would be really bad because that's exactly where the fun of the game comes from, and also what makes the jump scares a valid form of horror.

That and like, it's nice to have some breathing room. If I'm spending too long on just one really long level, and then I lose before making it to the end, I will absolutely not feel compelled to play again.

Anyway, game's good. Got it for half price, but would have paid full.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

All I know about the game is that cr1tikal's let's play of it was absolutely fantastic.

link for the curious, language and some pretty coarse stuff within

a little underwhelming how it's all jump scares, but the setting and gameplay seem unique enough for it to be forgiven.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

Honestly I think the "it's all jumpscares" argument is kinda thin, mostly just because of, like... well if most survival horror games were all jump scares, it'd be like 'you turn a corner and AAA THAT DEAD BODY BEHIND YOU WASN'T ACTUALLY DEAD, SHOOT IT DEAD', where-as in FNAF the majority of the jumpscares are game overs. It's done. You can't really do anything about it. I think a lot of the scare in the game comes more from tension. You know these things are gonna try and get into your room and kill you. But you can't move, don't have weapons, and can only look through cameras, turn on lights, and close doors... and those all take up a precious resource. So, I honestly kinda think it's a bit more than "just jumpscares". That and little things like Foxy's slowly peeking out of the curtain bit by bit when you glance at the cove, the Freddy poster in one of the rooms sometimes being one of him removing his head, and Bonnie and Chica's idle movement becoming more... erratic as they get closer to the room. Creepy things that aren't "WOAH THEY'RE HERE AND YOU'RE DEAD". Anywho, that's just my two cents on the matter.
    Last edited by Commodore Jim; September 1st, 2014 at 02:03 AM.

Tentomon's Toaster Trolley Coxy's Avatar

It definitely is some good parts tension, especially if you ever plan on doing a 4x20 custom night (though I guess once you figure out the motions of how to keep 4 level 20 robots at bay it actually becomes muscle memory but you still have to deal with the... the power outage at the end... talk about tension.
    THE MUSIC BOX...
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore Jim View Post
    the Freddy poster in one of the rooms sometimes being one of him removing his head
    Man, I read through 75 entire pages of a forum thread that picked the game apart finding all kinds of lore and creepy things and at this point I've become desensitized to everything BUT golden freddy (triggers from weird posters like that, s'why i bring it up). That it's a nonstandard game over deal implying you go crazy or something is probably a big part of it. Also the fact where it's sudden presence is probably one of the only jumps (it probably doesn't count as one since there's no scream but it would certainly scare ME) that doesn't immediately mean you lost, since if you're quick you can make it go away.

The worst mistake I made was reading that whole thread in a night's time, not sleeping, and then still not sleeping the next night before having to catch an 8AM train to visit parents to dogsit. It wasn't so much that I refused to be alone or had trouble sleeping, no, but I certainly lived for about 72 hours in a constant state of feeling half asleep while thinking robots were after me. It was a surreal experience.

well anyway you definitely cannot tell that I actually have in fact been assimilated all hail our Foxy overlords YARR HAR YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THE PIRATE COVE etc.
    Art 'n Music Thread -- Steam Profile -- SoundCloud -- Tumblr -- YouTube -- Coxy#1419 (Battletag)

Well, some new news from the developers: An android version has been released! It's pretty much the same thing, just with touchscreen controls and a brand new shop. the shop has four items: plushies that you can put on your in-game desk, and a cheat mode. The cheat mode currently gives you unlimited power, and a radar map, yet how to use the radar map is unknown.

Thread Information