Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brawl in the Family is ending

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Brawl in the Family is ending

I’m afraid so—no late-late April Fools’ gag or anything this time.

Brawl in the Family has been a terrific experience for me; I feel like I’ve gotten very lucky over the past few years in getting to do something I’ve loved, and hearing from all sorts of friendly and encouraging fans from around the globe. That said, there are a number of reasons why I’ve been thinking about ending it for awhile.

The main one is that I feel like it’s a good time for BitF to wrap up. I don’t think the comic has “jumped the shark” and I’m quite happy with the archive right now, but each year it gets harder and harder to come up with new comic ideas. What used to take me 10 minutes or so of brainstorming can now often take much longer due to so many ideas being deemed (by myself) as too similar to other strips, or not quite funny enough to warrant a comic. So the brainstorming part of comic creation has become a massive hurdle.

Conversely, I could just be less picky about what I make comics out of, but I’d hate for the strip to get watered-down and phoned in over time. I’d much rather have 500-something strips that I’m very happy with than 1,000+ that I have mixed feelings on. I think most readers would probably agree.

I also feel like BitF as a concept has more or less been pushed about as far as it’ll go. Ultimately, these aren’t really my characters and while I love doing story-driven arcs, I feel like I can’t alter the characters or their history all that much at this point since they’re so well-established in Nintendo’s games. I love them, but I do feel restricted with them.

Which brings me to the last point: it’s time to try something new! I really like working on game design and musical composition, and I’d love to see where that goes. Doing BitF twice a week is much more labor-intensive than one might think, and it’s begun to interfere with some other jobs I’d like to focus on.

I don’t want BitF to be one of those comics that just fades out and updates a few times a year or whatever. I really like this strip and the gang and I think they warrant a proper ending.

Heck no! That’d be weird. There aren’t many strips left, but I’m going to end this comic right. There will definitely be a final story arc, at least. You’ll know when it’s ending; it won’t be a sudden—like, Kirby eats something and then HEY THAT’S IT, THANKS FOR READIN’. It’ll be end-y.

Me too. But hey! I’ll be around. Tadpole Treble is pretty much BitF: The Game, if you change all the characters to river creatures and replaced the punchlines with damage-dealing obstacles and instead of reading it, you swam through a musical staff. Also, if you like the musical aspect of BitF, this game’s chock full of it.

As of right now, I’m still doing comics for NF Magazine! They might even include some of your favorite Nintendo characters, so keep an eye out. Granted, one strip every two months isn’t the same as two a week, but it’s somethin’. And they’re all in color instead of that melancholy blue.

Yeah, that’s buggin’ me, too! Wouldn’t that book be more comfortable with a Volume Two…and Three? I’d love to have the entire BitF collection in print, and I’m sure you would too, guys! Later this year, I’m going to try to make it happen, but I’ll need your help. Details to follow…

Well, it will be soon. I’d like to thank all the readers and fans for their years of support that single-handedly made all this work worthwhile! The comic will be ending soon, but it’s been an amazing experience and I’d do it all again if I could (but no, that doesn’t mean 500 more comics)!

If you have further questions or comments, feel free to post or inquire in this thread.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Re: Today's announcement (Comic 580)

What about the forums? Are they going to close as well?

The forums will stay open--everything that works on the site should remain working, including the forums, archive, gallery, etc.

New Nintendo 3D: Now we're talking ... to your toys Ruane's Avatar

Will the store close?
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruane View Post
    Will the store close?
    No, at least not for a good while, although I do plan on trying to move as much merch as possible. Some of the items are all out, like the popular Dededolls (to get more, I would've had to order a minimum of 1,000, which just wasn't happenin').

A Maveric Ant-man Mandobardanjusik's Avatar

This is sad been a great year, may have to go for the books when you do the additional ones, again makes me sad that you are ending the comic but all good things must come to a close
    Hey, I now have an art thread on here, go take a look http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com...l=1#post966693

And uh, I would love some feedback and creative criticism by the way

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

It's kind of strange that you're ending the comic when a new Smash is almost out.

Still, if you think that it's time, then it's time. It's very easy to have something keep going when the author has lost their passion and are out of good ideas. It's better for people to wish you had kept going than for people to wish you had stopped much sooner.

I have to thank you TB for starting this community. I've had a lot of fun here and I've made a lot of good friends. You gave me a position of authority on the forum, which was a real honor, and it was an incredible learning experience. Over the years, there was a lot of stuff to do managing a community, and I feel like it made me a better and more developed person.

Without the comic, I imagine the forum will peter out at some point. We've already been slowing down a lot. That's sad, but it's inevitable. It's also kind of for the best that the forum slow down around now. Most of the mods, including me, are beginning to form their own lives. I don't have the energy anymore to deal with the kind of crazy stuff that used to happen here, and the other mods share my feelings.

Luckily, I have contact information for most people I want to keep in touch with.

It's been a trip.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

I can't say I'm not upset. I've been a fan for, like, 5 years now, and because of this comic I've made a lot of friends, here on the forums. I'm... I'm really gonna miss it, you know? But I do understand why you're ending it, and I respect your decision. I'm actually, in a way, relieved. You made the good choice, deciding to end it instead of letting it decline in quality.

My only question, though, is what's the time frame for the end? Will it be when Smash 4 comes out/near then, will it be Comic 600, or what?

Damn it, I'm really gonna miss you guys when this all ends.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Damn it, I'm really gonna miss you guys when this all ends.
    Forums aren't going away any time in the near future. The site's getting less active, but it's still here. And even without the forum, you can always exchange contact information with people.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Thanks for the posts, fellows. I'm glad that you guys have come together and met all sorts of cool people through these forums. Especially since the forums were originally something I had zero expectations about (in fact, Chris and I actually made a few "fake" accounts at the beginning and just talked to each other to get things moving!).

As for a time frame, I'm not 100% sure, but it'll likely be within a couple months. I hope it's not unclear, but the comic will continue on its normal schedule for awhile!

It's also sort of an unusual coincidence that BitF began right after Brawl's release, and will end around the release of the new game/s. I think that's kind of fitting, like it sort of lived alongside Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Cute Little Poot

You know if you ever felt like sharing something with us even after the official end, just out of the blue, whenever, y'know? Just if you ever feel like it someday.

Still, thanks for the relatively consistent smiles

Cute Little Poot

Dang. I just lost Rare Candy Treatment and Zelda Comic a month ago (though the latter had been dead for a long time before the official announcement), and Nuzlocke is looking more and more canceled every day (though an official announcement has yet to be made... then again, they did already officially cancel their Speedrun comic). All I have left now is BitF and Super Effective, which is another one that's really erratic with its updates.

So I'm sad. All my comics except for one (well, maybe three if I count Nuzlocke and Space Cat, but I've never been a big Space Cat fan, and it's almost definitely dead if Nuzlocke is) are ending on me at (more or less) the same time... But I still wish you the best, TBun. It was great fun while it lasted (and will likely continue to be for a long time, even if the new stuff is about to run out).

Aww, man! I was really hoping the comic could at least hit 1000... but like you said, 500 great strips is better than 1000 watered down strips. I'm just really gonna miss it... I won't have anything to look forward to on Tuesdays and Fridays! Anyways, I guess I understand why you need to stop. I hope this really helps you pursue other projects!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say thanks! >_< So, thank you so much for the amazing comic! Ever since my bro first showed it to me I've been looking forward to every comic.

And hey, the comic May be ending, but Homestar Runner is coming back! So I guess it can be a sort of replacement! :P
    Last edited by mystman12; July 24th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
    "What is life anyway, when compared to the immortality of a high score?" - Soos, from Gravity Falls

I'm working on a Future Pinball game, called Joe's Ultimate Bus Ride! Check out my blog if you want to know more!

MUCH BETTER. Better drawings ftw. SwerveStar's Avatar

This is big enough for even me to come back.

TB, I want to let you know that even though I've stopped appearing on the forum, I've had this comic on my homepage over three different computers and haven't removed it since I started to follow it. I've had a lot of fun following the comic. Thanks for supplying all this fun for all of us. It's been a great run, and I love this comic. It'll be sad to see it go, but it was a wonderful comic to follow, and I'm glad to have been a reader as well as a member of the forum.
    "I HAVE A SCOUTER, ANGEL WINGS, A DIMENSIONAL GAP, AND MY OWN WORLD. YOUR ARGUEMENT IS INVALID."
    Oh, I have a DeviantArt account BTW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcdTw...ure=g-high-lik <- TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME

As a fan since like, I think 2008/2009, this is really saddening news. Like, I was in tears after I read about it. I know that's a bit sad on my part, but something that's been a a part of my life for about a third of it means a lot to me. I went through multiple depressions with this able to help me get through it, and it just helped me smile when I woke up in the morning. And while I don't understand all of this, I want to thank you two have done, even if it isn't over quite yet. It's odd, when you said there was an announcement, I was like "wouldn't it be an awful thing if he said the comic was ending?" Then, well, here we are.

Thank you for this fantastic comic.

I do have one question though: Will the podcast still continue to update every once in awhile, or is it done as well?
    Last edited by Pikmon2; July 24th, 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Heh, I guess all good things have to come to an end eventually. I won't lie, this is my favorite web comic on the internet. This comic was so great for me to read, and it was such a great thing to see, particularly after a really bad day. It's light humor, colorful characters, and cute art style was enough for me to keep coming back all the way back in 08. It only got better as I found out about the forums, and while I don't visit as much as I did back then, I've made many wonderful friends thanks to it, and it also helped me through hard times. I have to thank you for all the good times, and I will treasure the last moments dearly.
    "I won't give up now!"~ Phoenix Wright (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)

Benevolent king of Castle Lololo CaymamCruncher's Avatar

I'm gonna miss brawl in the family it had a lot of funny ideas.
    TASTY!

A true gentleman never removes his hat KCrules's Avatar

Thank you Matthew for all the comics, musical numbers, podcasts and etc. over the years. It is bittersweet news, but I completely understand your decision. Quality comics takes time and effort, and I respect your choice of quality over quantity. While I will greatly miss BitF, I wish you luck on your future projects and am looking forward to them!
    “Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development." - C. S. Lewis

When I read that final line I was like WHAT NO and I felt like I wanted to cry. I suppose it's for the best though... I'll certainly miss it a lot, I always look forward to coming back around here ever couple of days and reading the comics. I guess it's just become such a regular part of my life that I've gotten used to that it's going to be sad without it. Well... good luck with Tadpole Treble I suppose. It's a shame, it really is, but I understand that it takes a chunk of time out of your life and it's probably too hard to juggle with everything else you need to do... as long as you give it a good sendoff though, I won't complain. So thanks for all the good times, it has truly been an honour.

Upon rereading #580, I noticed your little "brawlinthefamily.com" thing in the corner and started tearing up why do you do this Matthew why liiojfdolihfireogvifkd

... I'm going to go wallow in my sadness now.
    [CENTER]My Chandelure is following you... (O++O)

So, will the podcast still happen after the comic ends, just so we can all keep up with you, similar to what 2PStart! did...?
    I'm the author of a few sprite comics!

Link: http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=115693

Link: http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=124522

Just click "Begin Reading" to, well... begin reading! :D

I also have an art gallery!

http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=143291

...Which is partially mirrored on my DeviantArt page: http://nashewninesix.deviantart.com/

BitF has been one of my favorite comics for a long time now, it's pretty sad to hear that it's finally approaching its end. Regardless, I think we can all agree that it had a great run, and I look forwards to whatever other projects you end up going with.
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

~The Super Smash Brother~ Smash The Echidna's Avatar

Man, what a shocker. I wasn't expecting this at all. I'm gonna miss waking up every Tuesday/Friday mornings and going straight to the main page, eager to see the new comic. It's become such a habit that I tend to do it almost every time I'm online, even if BitF was taking a break.
    Brawl in the Family was a very inspiring comic to me. It's been a long run, but I can understand your reasons.
    ~My sigs are outdated and I don't want to show them here until they've been remade.~

In the meantime, check out my Spriting Workshop.

Or check out my fangame, Splice The Hedgehog.

I'm really glad that we'll get the entire series in book form. It's something I'm looking forward to having similar to my Dad with his Peanuts comic hardcover collections. I'd read them when I was sick, or read through all of them some times even today and enjoy the comics he grew up with. I'm hoping sometime my kids can grow up reading and enjoying the things I enjoyed growing up. X3

The announcement of the end of Brawl in the FAmily is definitely surprising, since we still are getting new characters and new possible ideas (The Megaman/Sonic ones were amazing), but it's understandable. Especially when we've seen the comic go on pause quite a few times. So I'm supportive of your decision. IT'll be cool to see what you do after it!
    "But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the World." - Joshua, TWEWY

I am glad to have found Brawl in the Family when I did. It was late 2008, I found it through The Mushroom Kingdom, and read the whole strip up to the point it was at then. I was getting kinda depressed back then (it got worse in early 2009 when I went through a bad breakup with my ex)... But BitF made me laugh and smile through the sadness.

It's kinda silly to say that a silly videogame-related webcomic (and friends, and Cheezburger) helped me through a dark time with my feelings. But it never ceases to make me laugh and smile.

I'm gonna be sad when it goes, but hey, it gives me an excuse to go and save them all to my smartphone (I'm gonna get me a new microSD so I can have them all fit haha) and read them on the go!

Thank you
    Mario Kart 8 | Name: jojo (NNID- YamiGekusu) | VR: 7000+

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    HEY GUYS, I'M ON VGBOXART!!!

wow I'm talking

This news came to me as a surprise, but looking back on recent events and thinking about it, I should have seen it coming. I could tell there was a lot going on in Matt's life with all the hiatuses he had to take to focus on other stuff, and I could also tell (as much as I hate to say) that punchlines were running rather thin. It's a little bit sad, I suppose, but I perfectly understand it.

I'd like to thank you for running this comic, Matthew (Chris as well! Let's not forget him). BitF has been my favorite webcomic ever since I started reading it (well, until Cucumber Quest joined in) and I greatly looked forward to Tuesdays and Fridays every week. In fact, it will be weird to not have any reason to look forward to those days from now on. BitF basically had my ideal setting and humor--having my favorite Nintendo worlds collide with goofy results and a pleasant, lighthearted tone is really awesome and nostalgic to me. I'm certainly going to miss it.

Of course, aside from BitF just being a super fun comic, I also have to thank you because it brought me to this forum and, ultimately, friends which I now greatly cherish.

I'm recalling my earliest BitF experiences now. I first learned of the comic through Kirby's Rainbow Resort (another site that lived and died gracefully) when some of the early strips were posted there. I read the comic a lot but I didn't become a forum member until 2010. I only read and posted in the current comic discussion at that time because I wasn't very familiar with the community and was rather shy about interacting with people elsewhere. Eventually I tried making an art topic in order to contribute a little something to the community a bit more, but that didn't end up helping all that much. I still knew very little people personally and wasn't sure how to fit in the community. I didn't have friends and I didn't really know how to make any. Eventually I sort of poofed from the boards as a whole and just read the comic silently.

I didn't come back until 2013. I started posting art again and explored the forums and community in more depth, as I was less shy. I felt like an old new member, having been part of the forum for 3 years but still feeling like a lost new kid. I discovered that the community had an irc chat, so I went there to mingle and get to know people better. Turns out that's just what I needed and I slowly started making friends and finding people I could talk to. That's what managed to keep me here up to this point--I have people I can call friends, if even just a couple, and that gives me a sense of belonging. However, I have a lot of regret for not doing this sooner. Although I have some friends, I am truthfully envious of the long friendships other members have had here. People who have been here since 2010 or before and have lots of memories (good or otherwise) spent with other people. I've been here since 2010 and I wasted most of that time feeling alone. I don't have any memories at all aside from what I stated.

Memories or not, though, I'm very happy with my time here in the end. I love the people I've met here dearly, even if I haven't been a friend for as long as I potentially could have. I'm satisfied with the interaction I have with the community at this point. I still don't talk all that much unless I have something specific to say, but I know I do have people I can hang out with if I want to. I'll certainly still be here even when the comic dies. I have reason to be here. I feel I belong.

<3Thanks everyone<3
    ~Graphically Minded~

Thread Information