Thread: BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: DEAD HEAT Edition

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: DEAD HEAT Edition

His shoebox of an office was sweltering, and so was the city outside. Every time he went out now he half-expected to see liquid tar bubble up from the roads, the windows of skyscrapers ooze from their frames, sweating in time with its inhabitants. He'd never much been a believer in global warming, but the government's repeated assertions that this was a mere heat wave were starting to sound mildly hysterical.

Not like it especially mattered if you were on your way to an early grave. Cause of death: absolutely godawful luck.

Behind his desk, Ray Chevalier sighed and cranked up the tiny fan which perched on its edge. His thick duster lay draped over the back of his chair, and his shirt had enough buttons undone as to be mildly indecent if he hadn't been working alone, but nothing was working. He cast a half-spiteful glance at his watch: still not even noon.

Well, the odds of anyone coming in anyway were pretty dismal, and not just because of the weather. Making a snap decision, he pushed his chair back and scooped up his coat. He was his own damn boss, and he was giving his best employee the rest of the day off.

The temperature rose another few degrees when he noticed the woman loitering in the doorway. She'd dressed for the heat - short skirt, low top, high open-toed shoes - yet there was something about her which made him think she was more than just another twenty-something. Her blonde hair was perfectly curled, defying gravity and humidity alike, and her wide eyes could most accurately be described as baby-blue. He didn't know they really came in that colour, and they drew him inevitably inwards.

Only then did it occur to him that he was staring, and she was also probably a client, and he rallied as well as he could.

"Blue Knight Detective Agency. You need something?"

She ignored the question, instead lighting up the cigarette she held between two slim fingers. Lit from below, her face gained a more sinister quality, but her lighter was away in a flash and the effect was gone. And when she finally did answer, he wasn't sure they were even talking about the same thing any more.

"What if I said I could save you from yourself?"

It sounded too good to be true, frankly. He'd resigned himself long ago to the twin facts that he was not a very nice person, and that things usually went terribly for him. But for once in his life... would it really be so damn bad to believe in something? God, maybe the heat was just making him crazy, but he was actually interested. Maybe a girl like this really could be his salvation.

"Then," he said, "I'd ask you what you meant."

"Five words, Mr Chevalier." He wasn't sure when she'd learned his name, but that hardly mattered. She leaned forward, and he quickly averted his eyes from her cleavage. "The BitF Open Literary Extravaganza."
    Welcome to the first BitF Open Literary Extravaganza, title subject to change! You may be wondering what this actually is, so here's the quick version: sign up, write a short piece (up to 1500 words) on the theme "detective stories", submit it in a month's time, read everyone else's stuff. And you thought forum events were dead. If you're interested, please make sure to go over the rules; it's pretty simple, at least. And if not... well, thanks for coming this far!

Rules:
    - This is not a contest; rather, it's an arena in which to get writing and read things produced by fellow forumites.
    - The theme for this particular challenge is "detective stories", which all pieces must adhere to. Maximum wordcount is 1500, although there'll likely be a little leeway on that.
    - Submissions are due in the final week of August (so, any time between the 24th and 31st).
    - You can sign up any time before the final week. There are no penalties for either withdrawing or not turning something in.

Feel free to post here, or VM/PM me if you have any questions; for now, get signing up!

Participants:
    1. Chiffon
    2. Dynawing
    3. Coxy
    4. Lightningboalt
    5. KCrules
    6. BrandonSP
    7. Kiwi
    8. MooseFondue
    9. Jeff Andonuts
    10. Eruedraith
    11. Spindow
    Last edited by Lenore; August 31st, 2014 at 03:46 AM.

Re: BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: DEAD HEAT Edition

I'll join for sure! Just wanted an excuse to try writing some comedy for once, and I've already gotten some good ideas.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's stuff!

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

I'll join in. I haven't written in forever, and I really hope I'll find time to write something enjoyable, but I'll give it a shot, anyway.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Assuming I can sign up jsut by posting here, I'm doing just that.

It's been a while since I've written and I've never written a mystery or detective thing, but that's part of the fun here. Learning experiences and all. Considering how long my short stories for NaNoWriMo were I might have to stretch the word goal... or maybe I'll discover I'm terrible at mysteries! Who knows!

To be honest I feared that this would just go under planning for another month but peter out.

Tentomon's Toaster Trolley Coxy's Avatar

Count me in; good excuse to add some more slice-of-life to my world-building.
    Art 'n Music Thread -- Steam Profile -- SoundCloud -- Tumblr -- YouTube -- Coxy#1419 (Battletag)

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I helped plan and made that glorious name so I would be remiss if I didn't sign up
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET KCrules's Avatar

Signing up! Based on experience, detective stuff isn't really my forte, but I'll take the opportunity to practice writing.
    “Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development." - C. S. Lewis

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

I'll sign up. I've managed to come up with a completely ridiculous idea and i'd like to see where it goes.
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

Oh hell yeah, this is my style. Count me in.

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

I'm going to tentatively sign up, knowing full well that there's a good chance I won't end up finishing anything for this. I'm already procrastinating on other things I should be doing, plus school starts back up for me next month, but I'll give it a shot.

I would like to sign up also. I've been writing for a while, I guess it's time to have something to show for it.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

you know since i DID bug you to do this on skype
    sign me up muthafocka
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

I'll give this a shot. Personally I think my descriptions tend to fall flat but hopefully I can scrounge something together with a palatability exceeding that of the literary equivalent to stale crackers. Just got to aspirate a little.