Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Splatoon Discussion Thread

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

Re: Splatoon Discussion Thread

Yeah, that's right. But now that you mention it, it does look like TF2 as well. But how would they use a healer class...?
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

I don't think there are actual classes in this game but I hope that as people play it classes sort of develop. Like when teams start forming certain people will prefer to rush ahead, some will rather stay guard, etc. I hope that these sort of playstyles develop because I can already tell that being a 'sniper' and waiting in ink to pop out and surprise people is something I'm gonna love to do.

Sniping's a good job, mate. Anyways, About that medic thing, i think you get healed almost instantly if you're not in enemy goop. A tf2-based thig would be nice, though.

Tentomon's Toaster Trolley Coxy's Avatar

It's not even just the goop that brings Portal to mind, just watching single player footage you get the feel of "Oh, this is a puzzle platformer and also is a shooter" heheh, though yeah, the goop was what i was thinking of waaaay back at e3.
    Art 'n Music Thread -- Steam Profile -- SoundCloud -- Tumblr -- YouTube -- Coxy#1419 (Battletag)

Buyable weapons.

Buyable gear that affects stats.

Interactive hub level.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    Any thoughts on whether Splatoon gets a cameo in SSB4 as a trophy or something?
    Did Splatoon get a Smash Bros. trophy?

Also, Splatoon amiibo compatibility ideas? Mario characters unlocking Sunshine-themed weapons/levels/gear seems like a given, but what about the others?
    Last edited by Zorua; January 14th, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

It looks really great. I just wish the male squids were cuter... Their hairstyles especially bug me but I suppose I could just stick a hat on them.

But if you have the option to play as multiple squids (like presets or something), I'll most likely play as the girl squid the most.

Whoa this thread's been inactive for a while... lemme fix that.
    SO I just recently got a Wii U, so now I'm fairly interested in Splatoon. The more recent weapon and gear details look really good, I like how instead of direct "classes" they have many cool and different weapons and gear, and gear doesn't just look different but changes your attributes too! I really like where this is headed... the only way I think they can mess this up is if Turf Wars are the only mode... ever... they at least need a Capture the Flag mode if you ask me.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

And new information from this week's Famitsu are out, giving some more insight on how online and offline play will work. Most notable though:
    • Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature
    • No communication with players you are matched with

Fire Emblem for Virtual Console! GM_3826's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taigiry View Post
    And new information from this week's Famitsu are out, giving some more insight on how online and offline play will work. Most notable though:
    Well, this is kinda necessary if they really want to consider an online shooter family friendly, so I don't mind too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Spoiler: Here is my GPXPlus Party. 

Maybe a "go here" thing?
    Kinda similar to what they did in Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS, where the lower screen could be tapped to say "over here" and the d-pad had you say things like "Good job" "Thanks" "Hello!" and "Help".
    I like my idea...
    And with the Gamepad that could very well be a reality! FINALLY it gets a not-too-game central use that's just handy to have! (PLEASE)

Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles. Forum Veteran AuraKnight's Avatar

Ouch. Lack of voice chat hurts. But I'd be more concerned if it wasn't for the gamepad's map showing what's going on, because something else that's come to light is:

- Killing/attacking opponents online to prevent them from painting ink is just one strategy to win. You get no points or advantage directly from doing so.
    Though the movement controls had already intrigued me about splatoon, but a FPS game where one can do something aside from just shoot people is interesting. Even in less deathmatch-y game modes (like point capture), all you can really do is shoot people. It'll be interesting to see if generally being hard to kill due to dodging becomes a viable strategy, taking up valuable paint splattering time.
    Home with the milk in the morning / Singing the same old song
    ---
    ---
    ---
    It really does not matter what you are called, or where your work is placed, as long as it brings some kind of joy to some person some place.
    - Charles M. Schultz -

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Seems like you can talk to friends ingame, just not to random strangers.
    Looking at miiverse, having no way to directly talk to random folks is a massive plus to me. If I want my ears screeched off by 10 year old fools, I'd play Call of Duty on Xbox, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zant View Post
    Seems like you can talk to friends ingame, just not to random strangers.
    Looking at miiverse, having no way to directly talk to random folks is a massive plus to me. If I want my ears screeched off by 10 year old fools, I'd play Call of Duty on Xbox, thank you very much.
    Eh, I'm kinda hoping there is at least just a small bit of interactivity with your teammates, even if it was either taunts or commands yet again. Then again, commands get very spammy (Two words: Tilt Controls.) and deter from the match. Taunts are also a good thing, as it could be a yes, a no, a wave, a point, anything. Even if you wanted to taunt random things upon killing someone, I'd be happy with that. I dunno, maybe it's just my experience I had with a few other games I played (Garden Warfare, namely).

Oooh, the fact that you can't get points for killing other players I think might hurt the sniper... I was hoping they'd assign different point distribution for either killing or inking depending on the weapon. Maybe a change in points gained for the weapon? I dunno, it just sounds kind of broken for rollers if you ask me. But that won't stop me from sniping once this comes out!

Snipers can probably hit areas way out of reach of other players, like up towers and the like. Plus their shots probably have a significant spread to them.

I think it's appropriate to bring this topic up, again.
    http://splatoon.nintendo.com/news/article/?id=4
    Splatoon is having a Global Testfire this weekend, if you didn't hear. The events are in PT, so people in other spots have to figure out the timeframe. But still, this is very neat.

The Villager of Death

So that means for central time Friday is from 10:00-11:00 PM and Saturday is 6:00-7:00 AM and 2:00-3:00 PM
    I have a feeling the amount of players for Friday is going to be pretty low.

This is a downloady thing right?

Quote Originally Posted by OshaliteX2 View Post
    This is a downloady thing right?
    Yes, you can get it off of the Eshop. In EST, I'm definitely gonna stay up for the first event. This seems extremely big for the public to be able to play it for the first time.

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

That was ridiculously fun, holy smokes. Day one buy for sure.

Same here. Kinda found out it started only 15 minutes before it would end, but I still got to play 2 matches. It's definitely creative, that's for sure.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).
    Spoiler: a few Miiverse drawings. :) 
    "I'm going to be disgustingly famous one day. You've been warned."
    ~Klonoa, Tomodachi Life

I created a CYOA and all I got was this lousy link.

And the second round just ended and this is pretty addicting, definitely gonna buy this. And best of all, no lag. I have just two little complaints:
    • The time limit. I feel like 3 minutes is too short. I'd say 4-5 minutes would be better.
    • No switching weapons before respawn. You're stuck with the same weapon for the entire duration of the battle. Please let us switch in the full version or in an update.

I'd disagree only on the fact that the matches are short so one loadout is essential. If you could switch between spawn ins the team preview loses all meaning. You see four paint rollers on a team for example and you know the focus is both preventing them from dominating the area on a charge and staying out of their short range.

If you or they could swap on the fly the strategy falls apart without a committal to any one style. Given the short times you need to be as effective as possible, without having to worry about being curbstomped for another several minutes if one side gets a major advantage. Now if we were talking about changing equips between matches without jumping into a new room there might be room for agreement, but when it only takes 1-3 hits to keel over and zero waiting time to return to the fray anyways one loadout a three minute game is completely reasonable.

Then team preview loses meaning, that's something I personally could live with. I find being able to switch weapons between respawns much more important, that way you can actually choose a weapons that fits the situation the most. Need to color spaces quickly? Switch to the paintroller. The enemy steamrolls you with a roller? Switch to a gun to counter that. This is much better than being forced to keep your equipment for the entirety of the fight.

This is especially important on account of there being no real communication. Just earlier today, when I tested out all four weapons, I was on a team where we all had the roller. I wanted to switch to a gun to at least have one ranged squid on our team, but that's just not possible. We lost because there's just no communication between players before the match and we all were stuck with a close combat weapon for the entire time. And for a team based game, that's quite bad.

Let's look at Team Fortress, another team based game, You can switch classes and weapons on the fly, giving you the ability to be prepared for everything. And yes, before you say the rounds in TF2 last much longer, I refer to my first complaint that the rounds are too short.

I played the game, and it blew my expectations out of the water. (I also shared that time with my brother. You can be a pretty effective player if you have a decent "spotter", someone looking at the GamePad for you.)
    The one thing I don't like about the weapons is the sets. I want to be able to choose all three things, dammit! Team Fortress 2 spoiling me or not, this is a degree of customization I want! But seeing as Nintendo, I can forgive this decision if they make the sets balanced and diverse enough (and we all know they will).
    Remind me the timeframe for the third event?
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Thread Information