Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Splatoon Discussion Thread

Fire Emblem for Virtual Console! GM_3826's Avatar

Splatoon Discussion Thread

Well, this is the first discussion thread I've ever started.
    A new IP by Nintendo, named Splatoon, was just announced at E3 2014.
    It basically plays like a retro shooter, except with a unique twist. You can turn into a squid, and jump into ink that you create using YOUR guns.
    Awesome.
    There is really a lot more gameplay potential for this then you think. I encourage you to watch the trailer:

Now are you hyped?
    Let the Rule 34 Splatoon discussion begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein, as well
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Spoiler: Here is my GPXPlus Party. 

Re: Splatoon Discussion Thread

I'm hyped for Splatoon! It looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun, and the squid person thing is super neat.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Something we haven't seen much focus on were the other weapons available. They did showcase, uh:
    • Ink mines
    • Ink bazooka
    • Ink sniper
    • Ink spread
    • Ink nuke

I don't think the cache of weapons we've seen so far is the full set. That feels incomplete, and we haven't even been told full details about how we'd obtain them, have we?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Demo footage revealed:

From the looks of it, there are multiple weapons. You can apparently obtain splatter bombs that will splatter a whole area at once. There are also different types of guns. Some of them are rapid fire, others cover more area in exchange for slower firing time. Also, ink launchers apparently serve as the "Oh we're toast" sort of weapon. Makes sense. They are, after all, basically RPGs. As in, you know, the other kind.
    Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

This is probably the most interesting game I saw today. it's a must-try, maybe even a must-buy!

Anyone else think this was a Nickelodeon game when the trailer started?
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Buying this as soon as I possibly can. It looks so fun, it's a brand new Nintendo IP with a lot of style and heart to it, and just... I love everything about it. The character designs, the concept, etc. To me, this was Nintendo's show stealer.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by SockOutTheWindow View Post
    Anyone else think this was a Nickelodeon game when the trailer started?
    Yep. Thought the squid girl was a Blooper too when she first jumped out of the ink. Also, crossover fanfics with the Squid Girl anime are all but expected now. Squid Girl plays paintball.

This looks like a fun, fast-paced, action-packed game that I'd definitely buy if I had a Wii U or money, which I don't, so *raspberry*.

Any thoughts on whether Splatoon gets a cameo in SSB4 as a trophy or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    Yep. Thought the squid girl was a Blooper too when she first jumped out of the ink. Also, crossover fanfics with the Squid Girl anime are all but expected now. Squid Girl plays paintball.

This looks like a fun, fast-paced, action-packed game that I'd definitely buy if I had a Wii U or money, which I don't, so *raspberry*.

Any thoughts on whether Splatoon gets a cameo in SSB4 as a trophy or something?
    The playable characters will probably get trophies.

I sadly doubt we will see squid girl in Smash Bros since its not even a release date. I am now DEARLY hoping for DLC characters down the line though, because this looks like it would be AMAZING to play as.

She's basically teleporting along paint lines, can fly through the air and has an eye spinning array of weapons

One thing im realluy hoping turns out to be a thing is some sort of Mario sunshine based FLUDD hazard on stages to add some extra challenge. Things that wash out the paint in an area and threatens to take out players, but can itself be taken out with paint volleys

That wash out idea sounds really cool.

I'm kinda watching this game. It came out of nowhere but actually looks really fun. I'm wondering if, with Miiverse, there will be communities and types cropping up. They said there are many different ways to play and I'm thinking it may be cool if people are posting about this game saying "Oh I like to hide and stalk people" and they'll be a group saying "We need one of those types for our team" and things connect that way. Bit of a pipe dream but seeing something like that develop would be cool. This game does have online right?

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Was it ever mentioned how you get the paint roller or what its exact function is?
    I assume it's like a melee weapon or something, but is there confirmation?
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

No confirmation, at least from what I've seen. Presumably, weapons are made available the more turf you ink.

Edit: More gameplay footage that I forgot to post here:

Last edited by GM_3826; June 11th, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Need to post gameplay.

Gamexplain! Thank you.
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Now, I imagine Popplio balancing an Oshawott's Scalchop on his nose... gamer2332's Avatar
    Let's just say Lively Town and get on with it... (Though for real, Georgia)

So, apparently, the camera controls need work, according to Game Informer!
    People can be trolls by being squids!
    And you can parkour up walls!
    ...sounds good!
    Apparently, Seviper evolves into Arbok, and WATER TYPES are weak against FIRE TYPES! (Guess that means I can't have Fennekin as a partner...)

DAMMIT, 4KIDS, YOU HAD ONE JOB!

I'll take all the chances I can get to make "subtle" jabs against Ash Ketch Jack S***!

This game looks like a lot of fun and I'm totally digging the Nickelodeon-esque vibe, but I am a little concerned that it might be a little to shallow to justify paying full price for. Hopefully there's a lot more to it that we haven't been shown yet (different modes, single player stuff, etc.), because this really has a lot of promise.

Failing that, they could always make it a budget/eShop game I guess.
    Toki no Tanaka - my Japan-set webcomic about life, laughs and Nintendo games.

Perhaps there is multiple game modes for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasae Bushae View Post
    Perhaps there is multiple game modes for this?
    It's been all but confirmed, with the battles all having the title "Turf War."
    The game will deserve your dollars when it comes out.

Im certainly expecting so. At the least, what we have seen suggests squiddy customization (Do they have an actual name?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasae Bushae View Post
    Im certainly expecting so. At the least, what we have seen suggests squiddy customization (Do they have an actual name?)
    Inklings. And I actually think there's just male and female forms.

For now. I'm pretty sure the development team said somewhere in an interview that your Inkling will be customizable on release.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

They're called Inklings, if I remember correctly. I'm definitely buying this when it comes out.

Edit: Haha, ninja'd.

By customization, I'm betting it means which looks you have and what your Super is.
    Oh yeah, about the supers. The gauge at the top right corner fills, etc. etc., click the right stick to use your Super.
    We know about the "Twister", the "Roller", and the "Airstrike" from the trailer. Any other ideas?
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

I heard this game runs at 1440p at 60fps. If that's true then holy smokes. Is it?

Come check out my art thread (with comic) http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com...-s-art-thread)

I've not a clue.

I know at least two friends who say this game looks suspiciously similar to a mini-game in Portal or Portal 2. Honestly, though, I think the game looks creative enough on it's own merits, particular when it comes to the squids! I have to admit, though, I was a little confused about it when it was announced during the Digital Event last Tuesday, but it's really grown on me since!

Also, new IP is always good!

Thread Information