Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilogue: A Recursive RP

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

Epilogue: A Recursive RP

Epilogue: A Recursive RP

Everything must have a beginning and an end. It’s common knowledge, expressed in a common adage. What happens after the end is simply a matter of one’s religious beliefs – at least in reality. But what becomes of a fictional character?
    Perhaps they’ll get an epilogue that shows what eventually becomes of them, or, if they’re lucky, they’ll show up in the sequel.
    But, inevitably, they’ll always end up in one place sooner or later, the last place they’ll ever visit: the Graveyard. Here, the whole world is made up of bits and pieces of the ended worlds, and something is consuming them at an alarming rate.
    You play the role of a fictional character who has just arrived in the Graveyard after their story ended. With, or possibly against, the other players, you’ll go on an adventure to solve the mystery of the Graveyard, find what happened to the ill-fated characters who arrived here before you, and maybe – just maybe - find a way to get back home.

Spoiler: RP Description 

Spoiler: Setting 

Spoiler: Application 
    Last edited by Snickerway; March 1st, 2014 at 08:40 PM.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

Re: Epilogue: A Recursive RP

Oooh, I like this. Had a similar idea, using prior RP characters. I'll probably sign up for this.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

I think this is a fantastic concept, and I will most definitely want to join. Especially as I have such a variety of characters to choose from!

However, I am curious. when this RP dies, will the graveyard be in the graveyard be in the graveyard be in the graveyard?
    Spoiler: Quotes 

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

I do actually really like this concept and would be interested to see where it goes. I'll just ask my usual question - what's the player cap going to be like? Assuming it's not going to be ludicrous, I'd be happy to approve.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

I'll def be joining in this, I have a couple characters I'd like to break out again.

But, uh, is everyone limited to one character, or can we have a couple?
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    I do actually really like this concept and would be interested to see where it goes. I'll just ask my usual question - what's the player cap going to be like? Assuming it's not going to be ludicrous, I'd be happy to approve.
    I've got no idea what the cap will be, to be honest. I'll certainly keep it within the 6-10 guidelines (this is the first RP I've GMed, after all), but since I have no idea how much interest there will end up being for this, I'd figured I'd wait and set a cap later. It definitely won't be anything huge, though.

As for characters per player... I was thinking one each. Overall, the idea here is fairly similar to Dimension Clash, and one of the big reasons Dimension Clash died repeatedly was too many characters. Firstly, they made the storyline simply hard to follow, and secondly, if one guy just dropped out unexpectedly, it'd bring two or three plotlines with his characters involved to a halt.

Peregrine City, in a tall tower. Because why not?

I WOULD join...
    But the only character I've ever been is Tauruman from Robot Revolt. Very obvious that's not coming back anytime soon, but that's about it. What about the others who haven't been in any RPs or have limited characters?

Spoiler: Quotes, May 2015 (The Splatoon testfire's first hour in a nutshell) 

Quote Originally Posted by Koopario View Post
    I WOULD join...
    But the only character I've ever been is Tauruman from Robot Revolt. Very obvious that's not coming back anytime soon, but that's about it. What about the others who haven't been in any RPs or have limited characters?
    I'd like to keep this restricted to RPs here as much as possible, since they don't tend to last long, and well thought-out characters end up underused. If you've RPed here before, I'll restrict you to only using those characters, but as I was saying to Asphoxia...
    The thing is, I'd wanted to stay restricted to BitForums RPs, since the RPs here are notoriously short-lived. This would allow people to get some more use out of characters they'd never gotten much use out of before and keep it more relevant to this community.

But! As I've said before, I've got no idea where this RP is going to go or how much interest I'll get. So I might be willing to make an exception if I get enough interest from people who've never been in an RP here before.
    So it all depends on who all applies to this. I'll prioritize RP characters from here, though, so make note of that.

So we're limited to one, eh? I can dig that (although I won't be able to create the dream team that is Glitz Kiwi and Lune, but some sacrifices must be made I suppose).

And do CYOA's count as RPs? I don't really plan on using any from one, I'm just asking because some people may be interested in doing so.

Also, what are the islands like, exactly? What do you mean by "complete works of fiction"?
    Last edited by Kiwi; February 20th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

And do CYOA's count as RPs? I don't really plan on using any from one, I'm just asking because some people may be interested in doing so.
    Again, maybe, depending on the kinds of apps I get. I wouldn't want to deliberately exclude anyone just because they've never been in an RP here before.

Also, what are the islands like, exactly? What do you mean by "complete works of fiction"?
    Basically they're just a bunch of locations from the RPs represented (and possibly others) floating in the void and tied together by bridges. I'll probably throw in some NPCs from the RPs, too, to keep the RP from degenerating into aimless wandering.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Question: If I used a character from an RP where they were in a close partnership (Battle of Souls), can I use both, or just one?

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Oh, now I see what you meant by being unable to really describe the setting. Well, that's no issue, everyone participating will just have to depend on each other to contribute.

It's a very interesting idea. I don't see any problems so I'll approve. Maybe I'll even join, though I tend to keep my own characters going in one way or another. Hm.

Only precaution is that you might want to take creative advice from the people who originally made the RPs in addition to the players, if you're going to represent NPCs and such from them. Assuming said people are still around, I mean.

Approvals: 1/2
    Last edited by Dynawing; February 21st, 2014 at 03:39 PM.

If you see this message, I came back to see everything. I miss this forum in the old days :c Vi's Avatar

I do want to join this. It really sounds like a new idea (unless it has been done already idk I've been gone from this site for about almost a half of a year)

Now the hard part is who would I play as? Sure I got some characters but they aren't really the best....
    "Freeze!....Or don't, I don't care. "
    Spoiler: RAVE DANCE PARTY GO! 

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snickerway View Post
    1. Your character must be an RP character you have previously created.
    Does this rule restrict established characters from being used since they aren't our original creation? I'm not directly affected as the character I have in mind is my creation, but I would like to know if characters like Mario or Kirby can join this RP. Such characters might complicate the island settings, considering they have a preestablished world, if not worlds, to add to the RP.
    Last edited by Ruane; February 20th, 2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: No [/spoilerbox] in Snickerway's quote
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Lovely. Was thinking about applying but, like Dyna, I tend to recycle my favourites and I'm not sure who I'd play as otherwise. Anyway!
    Approvals: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    Question: If I used a character from an RP where they were in a close partnership (Battle of Souls), can I use both, or just one?
    If it's in a situation like BoS where it wouldn't make sense for the characters to be separate (in the case of BoS, if anyone's wondering, the characters come in duos that share a body), then yes, it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruane View Post
    Does this rule restrict established characters from being used since they aren't our original creation? I'm not directly affected as the character I have in mind is my creation, but I would like to know if characters like Mario or Kirby can join this RP. Such characters might complicate the island settings, considering they have a preestablished world, if not worlds, to add to the RP.
    More or less. If they're a species from a preestablished race (like a Toad or a Charizard), they're free to go as long as they're not a specific canon character (like Toadette or Red's Charizard). But you couldn't use, say, Luigi or Samus.

Also, about to update the OP with all this.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Spoiler: Ichabod Stern 

Spoiler: Sarah 

Since Sarah's powers to Ichabod were important aspects of the original RP, I have them mentioned in the additional notes section of Sarah's character application.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Spoiler: Here we go again 
    Last edited by TheMightyBox; February 23rd, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Woah woah what u doin sending apps before i give the ok

Anywho, due to my spring break coming up soon I'm currently not sure about when i'll set the deadline for applications, but since they certainly won't be closed before the end of February, y'all can go ahead and start sending them in. Feel free to either post them here or PM them to me.

Heyo, if a character makes use of something like, say, a giant robot, what are the restrictions on use of said giant robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Heyo, if a character makes use of something like, say, a giant robot, what are the restrictions on use of said giant robot.
    Depends on what kind of robot it is. In most cases, particularly complex (i.e. larger/more complex than a modern car) machines would be just about useless in the Graveyard, since conventional fuel sources are few and far between. Plus, unless it flies you wouldn't be able to get it from island to island, unless it was small and light enough to cross the bridges.

Basically, what were you thinking about using?

I was planning on using a VEKE unit, but those are building size, so probably not the best choice. Then again, it is solar powered...

I'm torn between like three characters right now, but I'll have an app up soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I was planning on using a VEKE unit, but those are building size, so probably not the best choice. Then again, it is solar powered...

I'm torn between like three characters right now, but I'll have an app up soon enough.
    ...I was about to reply that there's no sun in the Graveyeard, but then I realized that that means there's no light source there whatsoever. Retcon time!

Anyway, now that I've hastily added a vaguely sun-like object, go ahead and enter with a VEKE unit and try to work with it if you want to. Hopefully Chari won't suddenly return and attempt to enter Tita. :P

If you see this message, I came back to see everything. I miss this forum in the old days :c Vi's Avatar

Spoiler: Erm yesh.. SMASHING! 
    Last edited by Vi; February 24th, 2014 at 06:26 AM.
    "Freeze!....Or don't, I don't care. "
    Spoiler: RAVE DANCE PARTY GO! 

Spoiler: CHICKS. DIG. GIANT ROBOTS. 
    Last edited by Kiwi; February 24th, 2014 at 12:05 AM.

Thread Information