Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fate/From Dust

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

Re: Fate/From Dust

"Nrrm..."

Toby stirred, waking up as the light of morning hit his face. He sat up in bed, and was a bit surprised to find he'd fallen asleep fully clothed. Usually he slept in his boxers alo---

"Right..." Toby sighed, running his fingers through his shaggy hair. His Servant had made it very, very clear that he wasn't to display any manner of undress, despite his bedroom being separate from the rest of the hotel room. Bringing up this point got him punched last night. "She's certainly something... not sure what, but something."

Toby stepped out of his bed, stretching and groaning. He could hear the television going in the living room.

"Paragon must be up alread-- right. Servants don't sleep." Toby sighed, giving himself a little knock on the head. He was sort of slow when he first woke up. Taking advantage of the fact that his Servant was in another room, he quickly changed into fresh clothes before stepping out into the living room. He was a bit shocked at how clean it was after last night. It had looked like a pizza graveyard the night before, at least fifteen boxes strewn all about the room. But now, everything was neatly picked up. Toby supposed Paragon had a thing about cleanliness. Speaking of Paragon, she was lying on the sofa, a slice of cold pizza hanging out of her mouth and another in her hand as she watched some manner of nature documentary on the flatscreen.

"Morning, Paragon." Toby called out. At the sound of his voice, Paragon suddenly seemed to shoot up, giving some sort of surprised yelp. She scrambled to sit upright, her posture prim and proper. As calm as she tried to look, her face was beet red.

"A-Ah. Associate Toby. I... didn't expect you to be up for another few hours."

"It's like, 10:30 AM. I try not to sleep in past that usually." He gave a bit of a yawn, going over to sit on the couch next to Paragon. Her face grew redder, and she put a hand on his shoulder, sliding him to the other end of the couch. "Wuh...?"

"Don't sit so close to me." She flashed a glare, before taking a bite out of her pizza. Toby sighed, and picked up the remote from where it had fallen on the ground during Paragon's panic attack. He quickly changed the channel to the local news.

"... And in our next story, a body was discovered on the outskirts of Pendleton this morning. The victim had been brutally beaten to death, his face left unrecognizable and with several broken bones. Police were able to identify him as Jonas Kaminski, a tourist from Russia. Various reports said that earlier in the night, Kaminski had gotten into a fight with several patrons of the popular downtown pub, Speedwagon's. The police name these men as the primary suspects, and are currently on the hunt for them."

"Kaminski..." Toby muttered, trying to remember why the name sounded so familiar. As soon as he'd said it aloud, he could almost hear Quartermain's voice repeating it in his head. Toby went pale, sinking into the couch. "Jesus Christ!"

"Mmmph?" Paragon glanced over at him, mouth full of pizza. Swallowing, she spoke again. "Did you know him?"

"No, but... he was supposed to be one of the Masters in this war."

Paragon's expression went grim, eyes turning toward the screen. "So. Somebody's already made a move?"

"I-I guess..." He took his glasses off, letting out a sigh as he rubbed at the bridge of his nose. "There were a few people there that seemed like they might be ambitious enough to kill someone before they summoned, despite the War's rules."

"Ugh." Paragon gave a disgusted noise, shaking her head. "Attacking someone who couldn't even defend himself, and breaking the War's code while doing so. I can't stand that sort of dishonorable behavior." She stood suddenly, bringing her fist down into her open palm. "If we discover who did this, I will deliver upon their heads a golden retribution!"

"That's..." Toby muttered, and smiled a bit. The heroic spirit looked down at him, raising an eyebrow.

"What are you smiling about? This is serious!"

"Oh, no, it's just..." Toby put his glasses back on, smiling a bit wider. "I was just thinking I really lucked out, getting a Heroic Spirit with such a strong sense of righteousness. It's nice to feel like we're the good guys."

"Wh-what!?" Paragon's face went red again, and she quickly lift the end of the couch, dumping Toby off of it.

"Ouf!"

"D-don't say stupid things like that! Idiot..." She grumbled, quickly striding into the kitchen to get more cold pizza from the fridge. "What's the plan for today?"

"Well..." Toby groaned, picking himself off the ground. "I was figuring we'd go take a look at the city today, get a feel for the surroundings. Best to be prepared, don't you think?"

"... Yes, actually." Paragon replied, stepping out of the kitchen, her voice carrying a tone like she was surprised that Toby had thought of that.

"So, in a bit we'll head out, you can follow around in spirit form, and--"

"No." She shook her head, taking another bite of pizza. "I want to be physically manifested. The split seconds it takes for me to materialize may be the deciding factor in a sneak attack."

"No one's gonna attack me during the day!" Toby glanced back at her.

"Can you be so sure? We know we have an opponent willing to kill before the War officially begins."

Toby frowned, going a bit pale. "... That... I guess you're right. Alright, fine. But you can't wear that."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing!?"

"N-nothing! I mean, it's nice, just... it stands out in today's fashion, y'know?" Toby stepped into his room for a moment, grabbing his laptop before sitting on the couch and opening it up. "We need to find you something that'll help you fit in a bit better. I'll just express order something and have it delivered to the hotel room."

Toby clacked away at his keyboard, finding the page of a well-known clothing brand stationed in Pendleton. He began to pick out a few things, then paused.

"Ah, Paragon?"

"Hm?"

"What are your measurements?"

"WHAT?"

Paragon was on him like a condor on a carcass, bringing a fist down on his head.

"OW! Hey! I just need to make sure everything fits, alright?"

Paragon dropped her fist on his head again, then took the laptop.

"I-I'll do it myself!" She huffed, turning away and storming into the second bedroom. Toby watched her walk away, rubbing the top of his head.

"What is her problem...?"
    Last edited by Commodore Jim; February 7th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

If stranger things had happened to Stephanie than walking into the kitchen to find a European hero of legend wolfing down beef lo mein from a plastic container, she was certainly struggling to think of any.

"Mornin'," Wayward said through a mouthful of food, waving his chopsticks in greeting. "Sleep well?"

She had, actually, even though she'd been up for the last hour exercising and then showering. "I did. In terms of prana, I'm performing either at my full capacity or close to it."

"Mm, I can feel it. You weren't kidding about being a top-class magus."

She allowed a tiny smirk to cross her face. "Well, naturally. The blood of des Baux runs strong in me-"

"Yeah, yeah, great." The Servant snagged a piece of meat, tearing into it enthusiastically. "Can we talk about strategy yet, princess? We don't know who we're going to run into out there, and I'd rather we sorted something out first."

"Don't interrupt your Master," she ground out, and Wayward hid his grin in his food. "But I was just thinking about that too. You're aware of the Overshadowed skill unique to your class, yes?"

He rolled his eyes. "Duh. I think I know what I'm capable of."

"Just checking," she remarked, pulling up a chair. "I propose we run skirmishes, at least in the opening stages of this War. We're in the unique position of being able to gather information on the other teams while giving away next to nothing about ourselves. Provided, of course, you don't do anything stupid like revealing your true name."

"Hit-and-run tactics work fine for me. And don't worry, I wouldn't throw away our ace that easily."

"I'm surprised," Stephanie admitted. "You seemed knightly, so I thought you wouldn't take it so well."

He didn't quite glower, but the atmosphere grew significantly tenser. "Let's just leave the question of my honour out of this. What's first on the agenda?"

"Breakfast. I'm starving. And another thing; I don't think I'm comfortable with you wearing my late father's clothes, starting immediately, so I suppose I'll have to take you shopping."

"More food and a new wardrobe? Fine by me." Having finished eating, he closed the container with a snap of plastic and tossed it into the bin.

"There's just one thing," she began, keeping a straight face. "You can't leave the house in your current state, of course, and all I own besides one set of my father's things are cassocks..."

Her Servant blanched. "You can't mean that. I can't wear one of those things!"

"You shouldn't be so close-minded, you know. It's unhealthy. I wonder, would you rather acquiesce now, or have me force you into doing it?"

There was a long silence. "You're a demon," he growled at last, stomping off.

The Cafe d'Aubergine was a local joint famed for its strong coffee and cheap breakfast specials. A waitress moved away from one of the tables outside on the street, conveying an order back to the kitchen. The two people she'd just served sat opposite each other, dressed in identical black. Even as the waitress left, one of them picked up a newspaper and began to leaf through it while her companion scowled and drummed his fingers irritably.

"You shouldn't pout, Wayward. It's unsightly."

"You're enjoying this," he muttered sullenly. "Stuffing me into a stupid girly robe for your own perverse pleasure."

"Don't be ridiculous," the priestess responded, turning the page without looking up. "Besides, it's not girly. Men wear those too..."

"Hello?" Noticing that she was staring blankly, he snapped his fingers in front of her face. "Why'd you trail off like that?"

"Kaminski," she whispered, before coming back to herself. Closing and folding her paper with a rustle, she leaned in. "One of the Masters in this War, who didn't show up to our meeting with its supervisor last night, just turned up dead. Before any of us were even supposed to open hostilities."

"That does sound like bad news." He grinned rakishly and shot her a wink. "Don't worry though, princess, you've got me to protect you."

"I wish you wouldn't put it like that," she grumbled, resting against the back of her chair.

"Sad because it's true?" Wayward asked, lounging forward. "Because when it comes down to it, you're going to neeeeeed me?"

"I think I like you better when you're eating. At least then you aren't always running your mouth."
    Last edited by Lenore; February 7th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

As he gradually drifted out of sleep, Spencer vaguely came to realize the sensation of being rocked back and forth. In his state of only partial consciousness, the magus tried in vain to understand the cause of the motion. Surely he wasn't on board a boat, as the idea of floating around in a metal shell out of reach of dry land was far from appealing. He toyed with this train of thought up to the point where his bed was tilted particularly far and he fell straight out. At this point he was wide awake and entirely under the impression that he was either under attack or in the middle of an earthquake, prompting him to scurry as quickly as possible to the door jamb of the bedroom before looking back.

The small bed was lying haphazardly on its side, next to the laughing figure that was Wanderer. "Man overboard!" the servant managed to growl between gravelly laughs. Stifling his chuckles, the bearded man approached the man still shaking and clutching the door frame. "You sleep like a stone, lad, but I ain't never seen a grown man crawl with such intensity."

Spencer very nearly told off his servant, until his eyes met Wanderer's unnerving glare and his anger was immediately replaced with the same sense of dread he had felt last night. While he very much wanted to yell about how scaring someone awake was a terrible idea if you weren't aware of their health problems and he very easily could have died then and there, he was unable to raise his voice. Wanderer watched the conflicting emotions crossing Spencer's face and smirked, evidently enjoying his master's internal conflict.

"D-don't... don't do that..." the master muttered, voice still shaking slightly. "Imagine if-"

"I don't give much of a damn what you want, sonny, if that wasn't obvious by now. And even if I did, now's not the time for chit chat. Folks are killin' each other out there."

An all-too-familiar wave of nausea swept over Spencer as he digested Wanderer's words. "But... but we were told to... to wait..." Even as he said these words he knew he was being foolish. Many of the other masters were just as eager to get their wishes, and were probably much more foolhardy. "How do you know-"

"When a crime is committed, authorities tend to take notice, eh?" He gestured over his shoulder to the television, which was muted but showing reporters pointing at censored pictures of a corpse. "Now I don't know about you, but even for me a grisly death like this is not to go ignored."

Panic was visibly rising on Spencer's face. "Well we need to hide!" he stammered. "We should get underground, or run, or-"

"Quit flapping your lips, boy! If you think I'll be playing the role of a damn coward in this game, you're sorely mistaken." Wanderer's voice was gradually rising in intensity. "Now I am goin' out there to have a look about. You are either going to sit around here like a coward and hope no one comes by to snuff you out, or you're gonna follow me around, like a coward, and hope I can save your sorry life. Savvy?"

~

It had not occurred to Spencer just how much pirate garb would stand out in public. "Extremely" would be how much it stands out in public.

"&&&&ing hell, it's like we're asking to be attacked..." The magus's eyes darted around the street, trying to keep track of everything of note. Wanderer tramped along ahead of him, grinning as the civilians they passed all crossed to the other side of the street or quickly turned into the closest shop at the sight of the large man with the smoking hat.

"And maybe we damn well are," he responded gruffly, stroking his tangled black beard.

"Wha-" Spencer gazed at the back of Wanderer's head incredulously. "Shouldn't we be trying to find out about our enemies before we go looking for a fight? Having at least some knowledge would allow us to make a strategy and give us a better chance at surviv-"

Wanderer stopped very suddenly, causing Spencer to bump into his back. "Tell me, boy. You have much experience with stealth, huh?" Without waiting for an answer, the servant continued. "No, I don't suppose you do. Now neither do I. But I tell you what. We may not know much on our enemies this early on. But you think our enemies know much on us? When you're firing on an enemy ship, you don't circle each other for ages scoping out each and every weak spot. You load your damn cannons and fire as soon as they're in range." With that, Wanderer continued walking.

Toby leaned back on the sofa, idly flipping through channels on the TV, occasionally glancing towards the bedroom door. A few minutes ago, the package containing Paragon's casual wear had arrived. Toby had been shocked at how quickly they managed to produce something for a woman standing seven feet tall, but he supposed that was just one of the many conveniences of the big city. And so, here he was, waiting for an ancient hero of legend to change into modern clothes. It was weird how things turned out...

The bedroom door creaked open, and Toby sat up, watching as Paragon stepped out. It was a rather cute outfit, he thought. Black jeans, a yellow sweater, and some manner of shimmering gold scarf. Ah, the sweater even had a cute little rabbit head on the... chest...

Toby blinked, unable to stop from staring. He hadn't noticed before, thanks to the layers of robes and the breastplate, but...

"... Toby? Is something wrong with the outfit?" Paragon asked, awkwardly looking down at her clothes.

Toby's mouth moved before he had a chance to think about what he was saying. "Geeze, they're huge!"

"WHAT."

Toby snapped back to reality at the sound of Paragon's voice, just to find her face a deep scarlet, obviously red with rage.

"W-wait, I mean--"

"YOU IDIOT!"

A swift kick with designer tennis shoes sent Toby flying back into the wall.

------

The pair was now walking through the streets of downtown Pendleton, snow lightly falling. They were an odd sight together, to be sure. Beyond Paragon being seven feet tall, Toby himself came in at a whopping five foot two, and he seemed even shorter than that thanks to his always slouching.

"... You should really do something about your posture, Toby." Paragon said, looking down at him. The boy looked up, a bit confused.

"Huh? What about my posture?"

"Are you kidding? You have the worst slouch I've ever seen."

"I-I don't slouch." Toby muttered half-heartedly, glancing around. "Hrm. Lots of tall buildings. If any enemy Servants are aerial in nature..."

"Don't change the subject!" Paragon huffed, then paused, sniffing at the air. "... Something smells great."

"Who's changing the subject now? Besides, the war is the most important thing-- Damn." Toby cut himself off as he caught whiff of the air. "... Something does smell good."

"See!?" Paragon gave him a light pat on the back, which was still enough to almost bowl him over. "We should find out what it is and have some!"

"What!? You can't possibly be hungry!" Toby's voice was unsteady as he tried to regain his balance. "Even ignoring the fact that I thought Heroic Spirits didn't need to eat or drink, you've been eating pizza non-stop since I've summoned you!"

"Well, the ReGrail's different, right? Perhaps its Heroic Spirits do get hungry."

"Right. They need to eat but not sleep."

"You don't know." Paragon puffed her cheeks as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"... Fiiiiine." Toby sighed, and Paragon's expression quickly turned into an excited grin. "... You're pretty cute when you smile like that."

"H-hey!" Paragon scowled, bopping him on the head. "Don't say things like that! Especially in public! You're doing this on purpose now!"

"Ow! No, I'm totally not." Toby chuckled, rubbing the top of his head. "I promise. Really. Now, let's see what smells so good."

The duo followed the heavenly scent of fresh coffee and cheesy, oniony omelettes, until finally they stood outside of a small cafe. Toby took his glasses off for a moment, wiping the melted snow off on his hoodie before putting them back on and looking at the sign.

"Cafe d'Aubergine, huh?" Toby muttered, stepping under the canopy protecting the outdoor tables from the elements, scanning the menu pasted in the cafe's window. "Woah! These prices are amazing! I could afford to even feed YOU here!"

"Watch it." Paragon growled quietly, but soon she stood behind him, placing her hands on his shoulders as she stooped down a bit to look at the menu herself. "Ooooh~! That sounds good... but so does that."

The duo were completely engrossed in the menu, too much to even notice one of the other Masters Toby had seen last night, also out with her own Servant. The siren's song of reasonably-priced breakfast was too hard to look away from.

Having relocated to a nigh abandoned parking garage, Kyle slept much later than he'd intended to, tired from the events of the previous day. He started making a big, celebratory breakfast, but shortly in ran out of good ingredients. Frustrated at the lack of complete perfection in the meal, he angrily threw it out onto the pavement of the garage and packed up his range back into the van. He was about to leave when he remembered that there was an additional person that he had to be taking with him.
    He pulled up the car to next to where Beast was waiting, and kicked the passenger side door open.
    "We're shipping out of here, get in."

"You dropped this." He picked up the grounded sandwich and handed it over as he sat down.

"Yeah, I meant to do that." Kyle said, leaving the garage.

"Why?" He took a bite of it.

"Didn't meet my standards. Gonna start over."

He drove in to the city proper and parked in a different garage, functionally identical to the one he was in before.
    "Alright so, gotta go to the store, pick up some supplies. That alright?"

"The opportunity to walk around the town peacefully is quite appreciated."

"Alright then, so, uh, is your presence gonna stick out, I mean, can you be detected by the other servants?"

"It will not be a problem. I am, to all observers, a normal man, the same as any other."

"Oh, well, that is convenient, then, isn't it." He slammed the car door, "So I guess theres not supposed to be any fighting until sun down tonight. So it probably won't come up yet. Good to know for tomorrow though. What would you say about if we just sort of wander around this district until nighttime, huh?"

"I would certainly enjoy the possibility. I never had the chance to just 'walk around town' before."

"Sounds weird. Stuck inside?"

"I was confined to certain areas to avoid frightening the townsfolk. "

"Your protection or theirs?"

"It can be both."

"Hey. Hey Master."

Stephanie shot an unimpressed look over the top of her newspaper. "What is it, Wayward? This had better be good."

"Yeah it is." He jerked his head over towards the windows, where a couple were exclaiming over the menu. "Feel that prana signature? I'm reasonably sure we've found ourselves one of the other teams in this War. And, to top it off, that Servant is seriously cute."

Now that she looked, the man of the pair was recognisably one of the individuals she'd met at Quartermain's. "They don't seem to have noticed us. Told you the cassock was a great idea."

"No, it wasn't," he hissed, "but that's besides the point. What are we going to do?"

"Now, we observe. No need to draw attention to ourselves, and it's not like we can start something here and now anyway."

"Sorry, princess, but I don't think so." Before she could say a word to stop him, Wayward had cupped both hands to his mouth and hollered "Hey, pretty lady! Over here!" He then waved to attract attention, as if anybody else but him could've been the one yelling.

"Oh my God," the priestess said weakly, unable to string together a much more coherent sentence. "You actually did it."

"Of course." He remained irritatingly unruffled. "I'd say sorry for the insubordination, but I'm not really."

Stephanie rubbed her temples, where a headache was starting to brew. "That much was evident."

"Hey, pretty lady! Over here!"

At the sound of the call, Paragon's back went rigid as she stood straight up. She turned her head to look towards the pink-haired buffoon who'd so rudely remarked at her. "... Toby. That moron's a Servant."

"Whuh?" Toby blinked, looking away from the menu. Sure enough, there sat one of the magi he'd seen the night before. "Ah... her name was... des Baux...? What do we do-- Ah, Paragon?!"

He hadn't noticed the woman had practically stomped over to the table, now looming over the two, glaring down at the other Heroic Spirit. Her eyes were practically alight with wrathful fire. And yet, as she spoke, her tone was measured and calm. This managed to scare Toby a lot more than her irritated outbursts when they were alone.

"Good morning." Paragon's voice seemed to drip with venom. Her lips curved into a thin smirk as she looked the Servant over. "... Cute dress."

With a sigh, Toby meekly shuffled up to stand beside his Servant. "Uh... hey."

"Thanks! It's actually a cassock, though." Wayward seemed unfazed; if anything, his grin had actually gotten bigger. "The garment of real men."

"That's not what you were saying earlier," Stephanie chipped in.

"Come ooooon," her Servant whined, shooting her a wounded look. "I thought you were supposed to be on my side."

"My mistake, then." She took a measured sip of her coffee, keeping a straight face. "I didn't realise that being your Master also entailed being your wingman."

"You are so unhelpful." He sank lower in his seat, glaring at her. "The first woman I meet in this city who might not be frigid as all hell, and you get in the way of me scoring?"

"Two can play at being unapologetic." Switching her attention to the other Master, she inclined her head in greeting. "Anyway, perhaps we can try this again. My name is Lady Stephanie des Baux, and I have the unique misfortune of being paired with Servant Wayward. Would you care to pull up a chair and join us? Breakfast is on me, should you desire it."

"Hmph." Paragon shot out a foot, hooking it around the leg of a nearby vacant chair and yanking it out from under the table. With a kick, she sent it spinning on one leg, before stopping it facing des Baux's table, and taking a seat, one leg resting on her lap and her arms crossed over her chest. "Rest assured, the only obstacle in the way of your 'scoring' is yourself."

"Uh... yeah... About that trying this again." Toby's display was much more... normal, picking up a chair and setting it next to Paragon's. "I'm Toby Waltz. And this is my Associate, Paragon."

Paragon seemed a tad impressed that Toby didn't even stumble on the phrase they had agreed on, but soon her expression was back to a scowl fixated on Wayward. "I am truly sorry about your circumstances, Miss des Baux."

"Associate?" Wayward guffawed, nudging his Master. "Did you hear that? Servant doesn't think she's a Servant!"

Stephanie, however, wasn't listening. Instead, her gaze was firmly fixed on Toby. "You... you summoned Paragon?" Just for a second, there was a strange hunger in her look, intense but fleeting. Then she blinked, and that odd look was gone. "I see. Well, I'll have to keep that in mind."

Her Servant, however, had undoubtedly seen the sheer jealousy she'd displayed, no matter how momentarily. He was unmistakeably glowering now: jaw clenched, posture fraught with tension, and gripping the edge of the table hard enough for it to creak under the pressure. The priestess watched in fascination, mentally filing away her observations.

"Have you two ordered yet?" he managed at last, back still obviously too rigid and the skin around his eyes taut. "It'd be a shame for you to miss out on free food."

For Martin, the night was rough; no matter how tired he was, it only felt like he was ever halfway to fully giving in to sleep. It was a very empty experience, no doubt due the loss of prana from the summoning which still hadn't really come back to him. Getting up in itself was an ordeal, and he instead chose to lie there in place for about two hours, wincing in pain before finally getting up.

The room wasn't like he left it. Furniture that had once been blown across the room was now neatly put in place. Was this due to... Trickster?

"Master, I see you've awakened," the Servant said under the mask of his scarf after appearing out of nowhere. Very much like the ninja he was. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like the sleep was remotely close to passable."

"Oh, Trickster, good morning," the master replied. "It... wasn't as much of a rejuvenating experience as I would have liked. I can't shake this feeling of emptiness, but I guess that'll go away with time. I don't exactly have a strong magical lineage, and I knew the problems that would pose, but that wasn't going to stop me from completing the ritual." He looked around the room once more. "So, are you my butler now? This room feels far cleaner than how I left it last night."

The ninja laughed to himself. "Come now, just because I wanted to rearrange our base of operations doesn't make me your servant."

"Servant? Wrong choice of words there, big guy."

"Oh? Well, I suppose you're right!" Trickster let out another laugh. "However, there's more to it than just that. It is in my belief that to maintain a knowledge of respect and harmony, one must cultivate an environment that benefits the mutual understanding of both the body and soul. By breaking down the barriers between reality as you perceive it and the inner workings of your spirit, you and the world will become one."

"This is all really flying over my head, but from what I gather, you prettied up my room so I could meditate?"

"That would be one, albeit simple, way of looking at it, but yes. After the summoning ritual, wouldn't you try anything to restore the prana you lost? An experience like this could be more enlightening than however else you've been training."

"Uh, I guess so. But right now I'm hungry, so I'll be heading out for some food," Martin said. He made his way past Trickster before being stopped.

"Wait, Master!" the ninja shouted. "Careful not to go anywhere below this floor! Last night, I rigged this apartment and the surrounding areas with a number of traps - my favorite being a collection of tripwires and pyrotechnics that I will just have to show you some time - specifically designed to target whatever Masters and Servants may be in the area."

"But... how am I supposed to get out here now if you made traps that specifically target me?!"

"Er, think of it as an opportunity to hone your skills!"

"If you expect me to be able to get past them, I can't see Servants having any issue at all.... I can't even think about this right now; I just need to shower."

"Very well, Master. In the meantime, I will continue my surveying of the city."

The young man only just barely made it into the bathroom before a loud yell was heard, coupled with both the sound of wires snapping and explosions reminiscent to that of fireworks.

"TRICKSTER!"

The Servant sprung into the bathroom in a battle-ready position, wielding his blade in one hand and a shuriken in other. However, he wasn't met with a surprise counterattack from the enemy; instead he saw Martin, hanging upside down, tangled by a web of threads in a smokey room.

"Ah, my apologies, Master! I should have warned you that to ensure your safety, I laid traps all about the bathroom. Let's be glad that you sprung this one before even touching the shower handle!"

"ARGH!" Martin groaned as he tried to wiggle himself out of the trap, an attempt that did nothing more than swing him around like a pendulum. "Just... get me down from here."

"Yes, associate." Paragon replied calmly. "While you may be content to label yourself with the ties of serfdom, I will not. Toby cannnot win without me. And I cannot win without Toby. Therefore, why call ourselves Servant and Master when we are a team?"

Meanwhile, Toby flinched slightly at the ravenous hunger in Stephanie's eyes, the look sending a chill down his spine. He supposed she had wanted to summon Paragon. As a woman of the church, he supposed that made sense. He let out a sigh of relief when the look passed, and another when Wayward changed the subject.

"Ah, no! We haven't ordered yet. We, uh, got sort've distracted by your hollering."

"... That's right!" Paragon brought her fist down in her palm, as if remembering something. "I'm starving!"

"... That was a big revelation?"

"Hush." She bopped him lightly on the head, before waving down a waitress. "Excuse me! Waitress?"

The waitress stepped over, smiling politely, though being obviously a bit intimidated by Paragon's stature. "What can I get you?"

"Toby, what're you gonna have?"

"Uhm... The Large Cheese and Onion Omelette sounded great. I'll have one of those."

"That does sound good." Paragon gave a nod. "So I'll have eight."

Toby and the waitress both made a bewildered face.

"E-eight!?" Toby sputtered.

"I'm starving, Toby." Paragon said simply. "Ah, and a coffee for both of us, please."

"R-right. I'll just go take this to the kitchen." The waitress forced a smile, before scurrying off.

"Heh. Maybe if your Master was as cute as mine, you wouldn't mind... submitting." Wayward's statement was at odds with the way he grinned like a man about to jump into a tank of sharks. Stephanie tapped a finger against the rim of her cup and thought.

I appreciate the sentiment, she projected mentally, really I do, but you're sounding very forced.

The corner of one eye twitched. We're going to have a nice, long talk when we get home, lass.

About gratitude? About your doubtlessly dark past and the accompanying crippling manpain?

He snorted aloud. About a lot of things.

She made an executive decision, rising from her seat and pulling out her wallet. "I'm sorry, but Wayward and I should probably head home. We've got a lot of things to take care of before tonight." Throwing down eighty euros worth of crisp banknotes, she inclined her head apologetically. "This should more than cover both our meals, plus a tip. Good luck in this War - I have no doubt you'll need it."

Her Servant was practically steaming with anger as they walked back, and she could only brace herself for what would doubtless be a difficult conversation.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

"I don't understand. Why do we need to be here?" Ambrose said as Scourge quietly stepped around a small group of elementary kids admiring the dinosaur exhibit in the center of the museum's lobby. He noted how wherever his Servant went, a dour, brooding atmosphere seemed to follow. Laughter faded, smiles became less pronounced, and shoulders hunched out of an instinctive knowledge that something more was there - something terrible.

"I'm curious to see what Rome is thought of in this day and age. An old man's folly. Humor me." Scourge had shed his armor in the time since his summoning. In its place, an enormous coat had appeared, its collars and edges covered gloriously in golden fur. His sandals had been subtly updated, as well. He had kept the laurels, however. Ambrose didn't argue with him.

"Old man?" he scoffed, looking over his servant. He seemed to be in his forties at most, though it could just be the hardness of the eyes.

Scourge had stopped in front of a display holding an old set of Roman armor. He reached out, his fingertips tracing out little wistful swirls on the glass. "We're all old, Ambrose. All of us. We're relics, like these things in the museums. Relics brought back as the playthings of the present for the sake of the future."

"I summoned Scourge, not Whiny Teenager," Ambrose snapped. "We should be trying to find the other teams and dealing with them."

Scourge turned his eyes towards Ambrose, and Ambrose didn't look away. Scourge nodded, as if satisfied. "It's funny to see how the past sees Rome. It's also funny how you all seem set on classifying the past as good or bad. You speak of how we conquered and killed the oh-so-noble savage. How we murdered the White Christ." Scourge tapped his fingers restlessly inside his pocket. "Those things were just... events. No evil, no light."

I'd better humor him. He's gonna be like this all day, otherwise. Ambrose thought to himself. "Why did you do that? Exactly?"

Scourge didn't look at him this time. "Control."

That word cut through the hubbub of schoolchildren, the dull growl of the traffic outside, and omnipresent pounding in Ambrose's head.

"Control was what we did it for. To purge the world of chaos, the best we could."

Scourge turned, and now his face was scrunched up in a wide smile, gray storm eyes closed. "Now, get a selfie of me."

Ambrose blinked.

"A what?"

"A selfie. A picture of the self. With old Marcus Maximus over here," the Servant chuckled, rapping his knuckles on the glass.

"Uh." Ambrose cocked his head. Was this the same man that he had summoned? What had just happened? "Uh. Sure. Yeah." He fished his shiny phone out of his suit pocket, fumbled a little with its unfamiliar interface, and brought up the camera function.

Scourge draped his hand around the display case, the boundary rope not bothering his towering bulk. A grin that could only be described as carefree graced the Servant's face. Ambrose took a picture. Scourge blinked, so they had to take it again.

Some War.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

After the embarrassment of the booby trapped bathroom had subsided, Trickster undid some traps, and Martin took his shower. No matter how weak and empty he continued to feel on the inside, at the very least he could say that he was finally at peace. He didn't bother worrying about the other traps that Trickster had set around the penthouse because doing so would surely break him from the relaxing trance that he found himself in. Unfortunately, while this was all well and good, it couldn't last forever, and not because of the impending water bill.

After drying off, the Master wasted no time in donning some street clothes, along with a coat because it was getting chilly. Of course, he couldn't leave through the front door because...

"You... still left traps set up, didn't you?" he said to Trickster, obviously fed up.

"Master, you see, while I may have been just a tad overzealous at first, I cannot overstate how important it is we keep these traps up! I'm not doing this just so I could show off; I'm doing this for your safety! You have to understand." There was obviously no deterring him.

"Okay, I see your point," Martin replied. "But please, we're more than prepared as is, so why don't you go out and spy on our competition?"

The ninja flashed a smile, which really couldn't be seen since his scarf covered his mouth, but from the look on his eyes, you could tell: there was a smile. "Haha, Master, you don't think I've already gathered information on the other warring factions? Ha, I can't believe you underestimate me so." His deep voice continued to bellow with laughter for a bit longer, obviously proud of himself and wanting to soak in his accomplishments for longer than necessary. "My eyes are everywhere, and here's what they told me."

Trickster began to run down the list of some of the other participants in the ReGrail War who had decided to simply go out in plain daylight. Martin was impressed, to say the least. Of course, the two of them couldn't just go out in the open and start up a fight with whatever Servant they could find... No, that would pose way too many problems. What was the point of finding all these other Servants and Masters if they couldn't do anything about it?

"Well, I was wearing my Talon costume when I went out to meet the Quartermain..." Martin thought to himself. "Yes, none of them will recognize me if I simply go out to meet them, and even if they did, the Quartermain's desire to keep this war a secret to the world will be enough to protect me. Heh, hiding in broad daylight."

"Trickster," the Master spoke up. "Continue to keep your eyes on the competition while I make my own moves on them." He had almost walked down the stairs before remembering how the penthouse was still riddled with traps. "Of course, I suppose I'll have to get my exercise while I'm at it." Leaving his place behind, Martin leapt from the roof of the penthouse and into the outside world below him. "According to Trickster, that... one guy went to the museum, presumably with his Servant. A hero of the past just going out to a museum? Ha, surely I'll be able to glean some information from this encounter."

---

The road to the museum was nothing but a quick ride on his motorcycle. The place didn't exactly seem empty today - there's a good chance some kids were on a field trip or something - but it wouldn't be hard to make out his target, even in a group of people. All he had to do was remain focused.

"Oh man, a Triceratops!"

Wait, no, he couldn't let even his favorite dinosaur lead him astray. As much as it pained him, Martin would have to leave the dinosaur exhibit for another day.

After minutes of trying not to knock over elementary schoolers while scuffling about the museum, Martin had finally found his fellow Master. He'd remember that man - if that was what you could even call him - anywhere... But why was he taking a picture of some guy in a big fur coat? To be fair, that was a glorious coat and the one wearing it did give off some sort of zeal, but that still didn't explain anything.

"Oh, unless that guy's his Servant," he thought to himself. "Welp, better take my move."

"Oh, pardon me!" Martin said to the pair, mostly directed towards the Servant. "Sir, I'm sort of a tourist here, and I guess I'm kind of a nut when it comes to taking pictures, so... I was wondering if you would let me take a couple of you? Maybe even with your friend? You two are a pretty unique pair and I'd love to have some material ways to remember you." He picked up his phone. "Would that be alright? In fact, why don't you tell me about yourselves? Like... who are you? And how'd you meet?"

Ambrose was used to attention in public, what with his stitches. Short of wearing a mask, there wasn't any way to conceal his body. But people had a habit of ignoring his appearance, and that suited him just fine. In the few times it had come up in conversation with people outside the cult - all three times he'd had such conversations - he had explained it away as medical problems.

Something irked him about this one, though.

Maybe it was just a stupid tourist. Maybe it wasn't. But he didn't want to draw even more attention to himself. Especially not with so many kids all around him. The kids that were older than him, he realized after a moment.

"O-oh, this is... my dad," Ambrose said after a brief pause. Scourge took the hint and gave a smile to the man. His gaze had lost its hardness, but the aura of suffocating unease hadn't faded. "We're traveling. And it's medical stuff," he said, jerking a thumb at his face. Get out, get out, get out, something whispered. "Shut up, Mother!" he snarled, stitches twisting with his mouth.

Scourge came to his rescue. "...is what he'd be saying to my wife right now!" he gave a laugh, one that sounded like coffee and pancakes and bad jokes in the morning. "She's always making fun of the operation."

Scourge slipped Ambrose a questioning look. The Master swore under his breath. He'd have to explain a few things to Scourge.

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Wayward swung the door open hard enough that it swayed on its hinges. His Master trailed in his wake, preparing for the storm.

"Paragon this!" he roared, not even waiting to know that they were in private. "Paragon that! For once in my life I get chosen over him, and even then I still run second-best!"

Stephanie was silent. Then she moved to close the door. "Would you care for some wine? My father always used to say it was never too early in the day for high-quality alcohol."

"Don't change the subject," he snarled, advancing on her. "I want an explanation for why I'm not good enough."

"I know." She met his gaze calmly. "And I intend to give it to you. I'm merely helping you get comfortable."

"Fine," he sighed, relenting. Pulling up a chair, he plopped himself into it and looked at her balefully. "But you'd better be back quick, princess, or I might start really losing my temper."

The priestess slipped away, returning not a minute later with a bottle and two glasses. She poured quietly, sliding a drink across the counter to her Servant and sitting beside him. "Well, where should I begin?"

"Why this fixation on the Paragon class? Would you have been as disappointed with any other Servant and class as you are with me?"

"Well. I suppose there's nothing wrong with telling you what you need to know." She pushed a thin leather journal forward, opening it to the first two-page spread. It was very clearly a mock-up of a Servant statistics sheet, with the first page containing details about parameters, and the second detailing skills and Noble Phantasms. "My father fought in the War of 2030, back when it was still a televised bloodsport. This is a copy of the record he made of it, and this was the Servant that fought with him."

"Saint Martha of Bethany. Rider-class." He took the diary from her, inspecting it. A girl no older than fifteen stared intently up at him from a photograph taped to the page. "I see. But... Master, I'm as good or better than her in every parameter barring Luck. On top of that, my Noble Phantasms would've been able to deal far more damage to her than vice versa."

"It doesn't matter, Wayward. I wanted to summon her and failed, even though she was an ideal fit for that class and this War. I am unworthy of inheriting my father's name and legacy."

"Sorry, but that's stupid," he said flatly. "If you wanted her that badly, couldn't you have just used a catalyst?"

"My father, who had no ties to the Church, managed to summon her unaided. I should've been able to do the same; if anything, it should've been easier for me than for him."

"But why should it matter?" Without warning, he slammed a hand down on the counter. His wineglass jumped a little, but luckily didn't spill. "Why do you need to succeed him badly enough to summon the exact same Servant?"

"I am a des Baux, Wayward. My bloodline is all, and I've been grievously scorned."

"So you're not even the real Lady des Baux? Pretty lame of you to go around claiming to be, then."

She narrowed her eyes, but didn't rise to the bait. "It's not like that at all. My father, Lord Hugh the Twelfth, died under suspicious circumstances when I was nine. And he had a very jealous, very angry older brother who was all too keen to kick me out of the family and claim what he viewed as his rightful place."

Wayward went quiet for a long time. At last he picked up his wine and downed it in one shot. "I see," he said finally. "I think I'm starting to understand why you summoned me. So your wish in this War is-"

"To eliminate the obstacles standing in my way of ruling and living unopposed: my uncle, and my duties to the Church."

"Also incredibly stupid." He topped up his glass, sighing deeply. "Surely there are other ways to go about doing that. Can't you appeal to the Mages' Association or something?"

"Does it matter? I'm here, now, in this War, with the potential to have any wish of mine granted. And I have no desires outside of my role as rightful heir."

"Don't have them, or shouldn't have them?"

Stephanie rose sharply, ending the conversation. "Irrelevant."

Her Servant only laughed. "Not even close."
    Last edited by Lenore; February 11th, 2014 at 02:53 AM.

"I thought you said you were after 'quality' ingredients?" Beast asked as they left the shop-rite, both carrying overstuffed grocery bags.

"I was. Cheapness is a quality. The most important quality."

They dropped the bags in the back of the truck and drove off a little ways down the street, to some city lot, paid the fine, and parked. Kyle started up the range and fried up two sandwiches quickly, offering one to Beast, and wrapping the other in a wad of paper towels and shoving it into a concealing pocket in his jacket.

"So, we got a few hours left, where do you want to go now?"

"Well, I noticed on our way here, we passed by a museum. I would like the opportunity to learn more about what happened before or since my time, if it does not inconvenience you."

"Yeah sure I don't give a &&&&, why not."

They walked down the street towards the museum.

"Yeah, back home we got a load of these places. Never went."

"Why not?"

"Never really interested."

Kyle paid for their tickets, claiming Beast should get senior pricing rate. They poked around an uncrowded exhibit for a bit, before Beast turned to Kyle and said, as quietly as possible, "I believe that there is another servant nearby. I'm going to walk ahead a little to see if I can find them."

"Go for it."
    Kyle leaned against a pillar and stealthily retrieved his sandwich from his pocket, slowly munching on it while Beast scanned each exhibit they went through.

"There"
    Beast tried to adopt the persona of the annoying tourist from out of country, feigning an exhausting enthusiasm, saddling up next to the three that had assembled there.
    "Hello, fellow museum-enjoyers, I could not help but overhear your fondness for photography and was wondering if I could be of assistance? Here, all three of you, scoot closer together in front of the exhibit." He made little hand wave-y motions he'd observed other visitors doing at other exhibits, despite his lack of having a camera. "Oh, or could I get a photo with your very tall father?"

Across the room, Kyle put down his half remaining sandwich, wiped his hands on a scrap of paper towel in his pocket, and got out his phone. He Tried to zoom in on the three, he could recognize the one, the weirdo guy, and assumed the big man was a servant, so the third was either another master or a small servant, couldn't tell from across the room. He took a grainy cell phone camera picture of the group- which would probably not aid in identification whatsoever at this resolution- and then resumed his covert meal operation.

((Note: Beast possesses rank B Vitrification, which hides his nature as a servant and makes him seem like just an ordinary middle aged chinese man.))
    Last edited by flibbyjibbits; February 11th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

At this point Spencer figured they were hopelessly lost. Apparently unaware that cafes and museums were the popular attractions for masters and servants, the pair had found themselves wandering the city streets without so much of death threat. He was thankful for this, but could see that his servant was quickly growing impatient from the lack of anything exciting. He could only hope that a bored and cranky Wanderer was more pleasant than a battle with an opposing magus and servant.

"For cryin' out loud! 'Ere I am, all decked out in my bells and whistles, practically asking for quick and untimely death, and what do I get? A bunch of sad little landlubbers watching me with their dull little eyes as they hide in fear. And a sad little master that won't stop his sniveling." Wanderer gave a low growl and scratched his beard as his dark eyes scanned the streets.

Spencer was indeed sniveling quietly behind Wanderer, forcing back the thoughts of how terrible his situation was. He never should have left his little bomb shelter back in the States. He was safe there, relatively. Sure, there was only so much one could do about natural disasters and nuclear strikes, but at the very least he didn't have to worry about murderous magi and their ghosts of violence past. He really didn't want to think of how all those other masters he had met so briefly could kill him. Not to mention the servants. The power they must yield, the power to cleave a man in two with one strike, or knock his head off with a solid blow, or-

"Lad! Stop being sick all over the sidewalk! You're making a spectacle of yourself!"

"Bah," Martin thought to himself. "Looks like an actual tourist had the same idea as me... what are the chances!?"

Doing what he was told, Martin began to scoot closer to the other Master and what must have been his Servant. He wanted to continue questioning the large figure, but it would be rude to not smile in front of the camera.

"The Rome exhibit of a museum... Laurels on his head... This all has to point at something but I just don't know what!"

"You know, Wayward, as much as you hate the cassock there is something to be said for not needlessly terrorising the populace."

He aimed a vicious kick at the sidewalk, accidentally leaving a dent in the concrete. "Even so, lass, I just hope this 'mall' of yours isn't too far away."

To an outsider, the dynamic between Stephanie and her Servant would appear to have gone back to normal after their conversation; in practice, though, the Master still remained somewhat on edge. She'd suggested they hit the streets more out of a desire to avoid lingering on the unpleasant topic of her thwarted succession than any interest in actually buying Wayward a passable modern wardrobe. At least he'd gone back to sulking, which was something she could deal with.

Then he stopped walking, narrowing his eyes as he focused on something. Indulging him, she slowed down too and watched.

"Feel that? Another Servant's nearby. And not Paragon, I'd wager."

"You're right, we'd probably be able to see her from here." She checked, and was intrigued to find that he was right. "You know, you're strangely attuned to magecraft for someone in armour."

"What can I say? I'm a man of many talents." He winked, and then materialised his usual outfit in a flash. "Either way, looks like we've got somebody to meet."

"What are you doing?" the priestess asked, not actually very concerned. "People can see, you know."

"I don't care," he growled. "You think the other guy's walking around in a dress? Besides, it's not like they'll remember anyway." He strode forward, heading for the unique prana signature, and Stephanie hurried to catch up with him. "Let's find out what we're up against, then."

Scourge didn't flinch at the requests for the photos, but Ambrose did. Maybe he's used to it, the three-year-old man thought to himself. He didn't care if people got his picture. His face was impossible to disguise anyways, and Scourge could be disguised as easily as needed be. But then, of course, Scourge had to speak up.

"So, sir. What, exactly, do you need these photos for?" his eyes narrowed, and a glimmer of the Servant within could be seen in the little slits. "Is it really so hard for you to identify a Servant at a glance?" Ambrose gaped up at his servant, scarred features splashed with disbelief.

"Don't look that way. People don't randomly come up to you and ask for photos, no matter how freakish you are," Scourge chuckled chummily. "They're ashamed of how much your appearance attracts their attention, so they ignore you. The only reason someone would want our photos is if they were involved in the War."

He turned his smiling face to the other two men. "So? Servants? Masters? Both? Which are you two?" His tone was genial, as if asking about a stranger about their occupation.

(Relevant Personal Skill: Mystic Face (Rank D): looking at Blackbeard's face will cause disconcertion, and fear for those of weaker constitutions.)

Spencer wiped his mouth with his sleeve and grimaced. All this vomiting was probably wreaking havoc on his insides, it would not do to let this go on unchecked. With all that acidic bile getting churned up in his digestive track, it wouldn't be long until his esophagus started deteriorating and he-

"You best get that weak stomach of yours under control, lad, cause I can't imagine you'll be doing much good in a brawl while you're doubled over like that."

&&&&. Wanderer was right. He wouldn't live long enough to see his esophagus get eaten away if he let his fear get the better of him in a moment of crisis. Which would be, of course, the moment when his fear would be most intense. Spencer felt his heart rate speed up as he pictured himself in an actual battle. Surely he would immediately throw up again, or pass out, or do something equally terrible that would certainly result in his own inevitable death. Sweat formed on his brow as he came to realize just how useless he was. It didn't help when Wanderer placed a firm hand on his shoulder and said, quieter than usual, "Pull yourself together, lad."

"W-what is it? What could possibly be-" the master managed to mutter, getting to his feet and readjusting his coat.

"We've got company off the starboard bow," Wanderer growled, his face twisting into his strange mix of a scowl and grin. "I'm not the most skilled when it comes to detecting magic and whatnot, so they've got to be close..."

Spencer looked around frantically, unaware of which way starboard was supposed to be, until Wanderer stopped him and pointed him in the right direction. And there they were. The lady from the meeting the previous night, standing alongside an armored fellow with pink hair. The magus felt himself reflexively backing away, a cold sweat breaking out all over his body. Wanderer, however, had the opposite idea. Gripping Spencer by the back of his coat, he stomped toward the approaching pair.

"Wait no &&&& crap &&&& no I can't do this no wait fu-" was all the smaller man could manage to say before his servant released a rather loud "Ahoy!"

"Well, I should have expected this outcome," Martin thought to himself. The Red Wing was the one the world knew as the World's Greatest Detective, but Martin never gained any of those skills. As Talon, his way of dealing with crime almost always began and ended with a punch to the criminal's face. Still, being found out was embarrassing to say the least, and with his identity on the line, another poorly played bluff could be the end of him.

"Haha, of course I wouldn't be able to fool you," Martin laughed as he put his hands on his hips. Putting on an unbreakable facade to hide how he truly felt was one of the most important skills he needed to learn as a masked super hero. "I suppose there's no point in putting up another barrier, so here goes; I'm Trickster."

He was totally in the zone.

"There's no point in hiding my class ability, Espionage, from you any longer. I can change my very form to suit my needs and remain undetectable even by Servants... Of course, that last part means nothing to either of us at this very moment."

"A museum full of people, and two - presumably three - Servants at a standoff. Now sir, what does this mean?"

Scourge nodded with genuine interest as Trickster unveiled the truth about him, and explained his form. He even clapped a little, with sincerity. "Ah, good speech. You've practiced, I see." As he said this, beads of sweat popped out across Ambrose's brow. What the hell was this idiot doing?

But then, Scourge gestured around himself, indicating especially the children. "I don't really see the need for combat, however. There are witnesses. Possible collateral damage that we don't need on any of our... consciences." His eyes flashed as he said the last word, making a point. The message was clear: are you the kind of man willing to bloody his hands to attack me? He let the words hang in the air, like convicted criminals or maybe juicy bait on a hook.

Thread Information