Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PHANTELD:Online

Re: PHANTELD:Online

"Excellent!" Exclaimed Faldon, who clasped his hands together. "That will be- Oh, it seems you have the money ready already. Delightful!" Faldon took the Mynt from his newest customer's hand, then stashed it in his pocket. "Now, it was the book and whistle, yes?" He took those two items off their shelves, and handed them to Nicole. The whistle was, somehow, near instantly replaced with another, identical one in its place on the cart. "Now then, just remember that whistle only has five uses before you'll need to buy a new one to replace it," said the merchant, smiling.

The book and whistle were instantly transferred to Monsieur Loyal's inventory, prompting a transparent dialogue box to appear in the middle of her screen.

"Hello, [Insert Player Name], it seems you've bought/collected your first items! They've been automatically sent to your inventory for convenience. If you'd like to learn how to access them, say "Yes"!
    "Yes."
    "Fabulous! Your inventory can be accessed easily. Simply look to the lower right, and press the red button from the quickbar. It will bring up your inventory screen. From there, click the item(s) you'd like to draw out, and they'll materialize into your hands. If you're in battle, simply think about the inventory and it will come up! This is meant to serve as a less distracting way to access your items. You're welcome!"

"If you'd like, you can set up to seven items to your Quicksummon. Quicksummon is a system where you assign up to seven items special codewords which, when said aloud, will instantly summon those items, without the need to open the inventory first. To set the item, just open your inventory, select the item, and say the codeword you'd like to assign to it!"

Faldon spoke up. "Will your guild be making any further purchases, young Heroine?"

Oh, the whistle only had five uses? More of an emergency thing, then... still, it would certainly be useful. Hopefully. She quickly familiarized herself with the inventory system, knowing she would be managing it a lot; when you're a strategist like her, after all, everything is about management. Knowing what to put in those seven slots could make or break a battle! ...If she ever got more than seven things, anyway. She quickly set the book and whistle to her Quicksummon slots, under 'pokedex' and... 'whistle' respectively, and then realized that Mr. Faldon was speaking.

"My guild...? Oh! Um, right," she said, sheepishly. She hoped nobody was too annoyed with her... especially since she wasn't even the guild leader. "Are any of you guys buying things?" she asked. While she knew Ms. VaganovA wasn't interested, the others certainly could be! ...Especially Hex, since she agreed to see the wares and all. A few of these would only be buyable if they pooled their resources together, and she imagined the guild leader would be the one to organize that sort of thing.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Ally had been puzzling over how exactly to explain her unique position to Hex when the salesman popped up. Oh, this should be interesting. Wait, do we have money? Ally glanced around, searching for the strange, floaty-menu deal, and finally located it floating under the brim of her cap. Numbers, words... Mynt? That sounded like currency. Aaaaand, yes! Sure enough, the salesman's prices were marked with the same symbol. But what to buy?

She pondered the items within her price range. An Ink and Quill? Somehow she doubted that would be useful. Throwing stones? Such a low price meant they couldn't be all that valuable. Skull Mask? No thanks. Iron Gloves, however... those would seem to fit the whole knight thing she had going on here.

She spoke up. "Yes, actually... can you tell me a little more about those Iron Gloves?"
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

"Ah the, Iron Gloves. A lovely choice for a lovely heroine as yourself." Faldon picked up the gloves and, again, held them out for inspection. "These not only provide you with nice hand protection and more powerful punches and whatnot, but also give you enhanced strength. They're enchanted, you see. You can carry, I'd say, about one point five times as much as usual with these here gloves."

"So are you considering purchasing them? Only 500M for the pair!"

After briefly pondering the wisdom of spending all her cash on a single item, Ally decided to purchase the Gloves. It was doubtful that she would be here for too much longer, anyway. "Yes, I think I'll take them! Thank you!"

And then there were a few awkward moments as she rummaged through her armor, looking for some kind of pocket.

"Um, I uh..."

Still searching.

Quizzically, she looked toward Loyal. "Did you just, think about the money, or-" Oh. There it was, in her hand. Smiling broadly - at her age you learned to take such minor embarrassments in stride - she proffered the Mynt. "It's been a pleasure doing business!"

FATE/SPLINTERED

Hex shrugged, There didn't seem to be anything worth buying, though she didn't mind letting her guild buy things. "Let's let everyone else finish up first, then we can keep going," he said to VaganovA.

She gave a glance over the inventory, and most of the items seemed to be for other classes or were just too expensive for her, and she really didn't feel comfortable borrowing gold from people she just met, it was kind of skeezy to her. she did, however ask the shopkeep, "What are the skull mask and ink/quill used for?"

"Ah, fantastic doing business with you, ma'am. I implore you to come again soon." Faldon handed her the gloves, which, since she didn't have any other gloves equipped, instantly appeared on her hands.

The happy shopkeeper turned to Hex. "The ink and quill are delightful items. They're used for transcribing correspondence between distant friends, although more... Creative adventurers have been known to put them to other uses. As for the skull mask, I couldn't tell you what it does if I wanted to. I found it on my travels, but the tribe I acquired it from seemed to hold it to some holy regard, so it may have an enchantment of some sort."

I just realized that my "title" was stupid since it's april now Meta-Mind's Avatar

Taken slightly by surprise at Rokoka's cheery smile, Siegreich blinked once before giving a slightly awkward half-grin in return. After a long and slightly awkward moment of focusing on the name and cursor over Rokoka's head- just long enough for Siegreich to wonder if the FAQ he'd read about Phanteld's <Guild System> hadn't lied to him - a floating menu appeared in the air before him. Siegreich took a moment to glance over the options on the list, raising his left hand to manipulate the menu. After only another moment, he had selected the <Recruit> option. Just as the FAQ had said, a <Name Guild> prompt appeared in the air in front of him. Opting to use the floating holographic keyboard rather than voice control, he thought for just another moment before keying in the word <Daisho>. Once a window reading <Guild Invite Sent!> appeared, Siegreich let his hand drop to his side as his newest ally managed the floating window that appeared in her own field of vision.
    To his surprise, it was only moments later that a red-robed mage approached the pair with an offer to join the temporary guild. Blinking in surprise once again, Siegreich nodded silently, going through the same process for once more for Red Rush. With both members now in his guild, he took a few seconds to collect his thoughts, then gave the best charismatic grin he could. Unfortunately, the grin came off more awkward than charismatic, but the Ronin hoped his guildmates got the point regardless.
    "Right, then," Siegreich announced, glancing over at the <Quest Board> on the wall of the pub. "I suppose we'll take the rat-hunting quest?"

Hex shrugged, "I'll take the quill and ink, I'll probably find a use for 'em." She paid the shopkeeper for her item and then turned to the group, "If we're all done here I think we can keep going." She nodded in confirmation and turned on her heel , pocketing her new item and waving them to follow her to the farm.

And so the merry troupe carried on their way down the road, and after a few minutes of walking, perhaps doing some sightseeing on the way, they arrived at their destination. It was a somewhat rundown looking farmhouse, and behind it, a barn. Standing out front was a woman, presumably an NPC, and double presumably the one giving the team their first mission.

"Ho, travelers!" She said, waving them down. "Are you the ones who've taken the job?"

The woman had short, messy brown hair and poorly kept clothes, like the kind you'd see on the kind of semi-impoverished farmer she presumably was, complete with lack of shoes. She was tan, with blue eyes and a large scar on her left cheek, extending behind her ear. There's probably a story behind that. In her hand was a pitchfork, and to her left was a small black horse.

"I'm Amui. Thank you for helping me." She extended her hand to Hex, seeing as she was in the front of the group and most probably the leader.

Hex stepped forward and shook the old woman's hand. "Hello ma'am," she replied with a small bow, "Yes, I'm Hex and We're guild LED. We've come in response to your..." she paused for a moment and reached into her sleeve to pull out the original request to make sure of the circumstances. "Your extermination request? correct?"
    She stuffed the scroll back into her sleeve, "I noticed you didn't mention what needs exterminating in your request, before we start, might I ask what we need to get rid of?"

She's not old, you whippersnapper. Middle-aged, sure, but old is just insulting. "Ah, yes, sorry. I just didn't think it'd matter that much..." She takes the scroll, then continues. "I need your guild to help get rid of a nest of Bunyips. I know it's somewhere in the barn, but I can't seem to find it. So if you lot could just go and clear 'em out, you'll be rewarded with anything I can offer ya."

Nicole, sensing it was her time to shine, confidently stepped forward. "Bunyips, huh?" she said, taking on a cocky grin. Calling her monster manual, or pokedex or whatever into being with a firm shout, she quickly examined the book's contents to find out more about these mysterious creatures. Probably some kind of rabbit, but if this thing had the exact stats and relevant information, the entire party would benefit. It would also help her decide if she wanted to make one her familiar, which she guessed was a possibility.

The page Nicole flipped to, the Bunyip page, contained the following information:
    Bunyips

Bunyips are semi-aquatic beasts found near rivers, streams, and lakes. They generally have brown fur, but can be tanner during the summer months. Their main characteristic is that they have a pair of houndkind-like frontal limbs, but a pair of flippers in the rear. They're generally docile creatures, however more hostile nests have been reported, mainly in darker areas.

They have a water magical affinity, for use as familiars, and are rather easily tamed, enough so that even a novice can obtain one with minimal effort. However, despite their relative ease of capture, they can become formidable allies in combat if raised correctly, or simply a cute household companion.

A juvenile Bunyip, called a pup. Illustration by Colm Jaretrux

VaganovA trotted off towards the barn as soon as the quest woman mentioned it, wanting to get things over with as soon as possible. Being "rewarded with anything I can offer" would probably amount to pennies and soggy radishes or something, but at least it was a start, eh? Looking back at her party, the Buster was nearly ready to break into the barn by herself. "Can we please just get done with this?" she cried, obviously impatient. Grumbling, VaganovA poked her head into the barn. "Prob'ly could've finished a half hour ago..." The smell- no, stench would be a better word- was quite uninviting, but what's a Buster supposed to do? Retreating to fresher air, VaganovA turned to wait for the others, tapping her foot. 'Didn't know rats could be that smelly.' Shuffling noises were soon heard from the barn behind her... could rats in this game get organized?

Hex leaned over and peered at Loyal's bestiary, skimming the page. "Looks like a cross between a pug and an otter," she mumbled, crossing her arms. She looked back at the not-that-old-but-sometimes-you-make-mistakes woman and nodded, "Alright, I think we can handle that. We'll get back to you as soon as we clear
    em out."

She turned to the group and began, "Ok, let's get-... Where's Nova?" She looked around. Did she log off? Or did she go ahead on her own? She looked around, then heard her call out, already by the barn door.
    "Keep your pants on," Hex shouted back, leading the group to the barn.

"K, listen, this is as good a time as any to learn basic combat formation, since we'll probably have to fight whatever's in there." Hex began telling the group. "The paladin, er... Guardian? should be in the front of all of us. Her class is clearly best designed to soak up damage and distract the enemies with her superior armor, and you," she pointed at VagnovA, "Should stick right next to her. You're melee, and probably can handle helping distract enemies."
    She paused a moment and then said to Monsieur Loyal, "I have no clue what your class does, never looked into tamer classes before. you have a whip, so I guess you just stand behind them and in front of me?

As for me, I normally will be furthest back and healing up your guys, but because I don't have a curing spell, I'll just be long range attacking I guess." she gave a small shrug. "Also don't worry about making mistakes, it's too early for this to matter, but it's good habit to keep formation when we get to harder dungeons."

She turned to the barn doors and finally said, "Alright, if everyone's ready, I'll open the doors," and once she got confirmation, would slide the barn doors open and step to the side.

Ally rolled her eyes. "Ain't technology great? We can replicate everyone's favorite activity - rat-catching!" Laughing, she followed the team leader into the run-down barn, wincing briefly at the smell that vaguely reminded her of the time Damian had left the milk sitting on the shelf next to the fridge for three days. "So I just stand in front and... absorb the fearsome ratty damage?" She grinned broadly. "Don't worry girls, I've got your backs."

She poked at the little inventory screen until she had found the hammer she had picked up back at the beginning of this crazy game. It was surprisingly easy to carry - she knew that logically a woman of her size should have trouble with a hammer like this, but, hey, it was only a game. This was all pretty fun, but pretty tame, too. After this mission, she'd probably call it quits. Nothing too objectionable for her son here.

FATE/SPLINTERED

The doors slid open with a creak. The inside of the barn was dark and dank, with the sound of a single drip of water repeating over and over in the corner, echoing in the wide space. The animals had all since been evacuated, in case any fighting broke out in the bunyip extermination attempt.

Yep, just a big, old, empty bar- What's that? In the way back, something moving. It heard, or appeared to hear, the doors opening, and peeked its ears up. Then, a moment later, turned to face the group. It was silhouetted by the darkness in the barn, leaving only the reflective glint of its eyes fully visible. This was, presumably, a bunyip. Before the League could chase after it, however, it disappeared! Where could it have gone? Well, if the team were to investigate the area it once was, they'd find a deep hole in the ground, just wide enough for one person of a time to jump down, into the tunnel below. Presumably, the nest would be down there.

Ready to roll?

Hex jumped a little as the beast fled. The VR system really made monsters a bit scarier when you could actually see and smell them. Speaking of smells, a few moments after the bunyip had fled, Hex cautiously stepped inside the barn, grimacing at the smell of rot and standing water. She looked around to make sure nothing else was in the barn and then stepped to the edge of the hole.
    "I guess there's only one place for us to go." She said, before taking a deep breath and sliding down the hole to wherever it led.

When Hex got down the hole, she'd find herself in a long, winding tunnel. It was dark, dank, and smelled like wet dog. Worse than wet dog, actually, but similar. And, at the end of the corridor was the bunyip pup the group had seen duck into the whole, sniffing itself. Hex landing in the tunnel, however, created a startling sound, getting the bunyip's attention, and causing it to run away around a corner, barking loudly.

"Ack," VaganovA cried, slipping down the hole after Hex. This was going to be a much dirtier job than anything she had anticipated, isn't it? Brushing herself off, the Buster covered her nose with her gi as she waited for her eyes to adjust to the dark of the tunnel. "This is like... the work of mole people, or something." Soon enough the area before her became clear, causing VaganovA to take a few steps forward. "I just hope we don't go around a bend and walk right into the jaws of some monster, you know?" Sighing, she turned her head back to Hex. "You don't have something like a, uh- flashlight spell, do you?" If player characters began the game with a small number of abilities, it didn't seem likely that the Mage would waste a slot with a simple light spell, or so VaganovA thought. Maybe other classes have tricks up their sleeves, to balance out the Buster class's indomitability?

"I wish the game would've at least given us torches... isn't that standard to roleplaying games?"

Thread Information