Thread: Nephilim

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Nephilim

well I don't really know how to preface this except for how the idea came to me - I was replaying Darksiders, thinking about the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the three kingdoms and all that, and I remembered the Nephilim in Judaic mythology for whatever reason, and I kinda wanted to explore that vein of mythos more...so Nephilim was born!

it takes place BC obviously, in between the return to Jerusalem after the exile to Babylon and the reign of Queen Esther. I'll preface all of this with a statement: I am not Jewish, so my understanding of Jewish culture is not entirely absolute. However, being raised Baptist, I am quite familiar with all parts of the Bible, so between that and some Google research, I think I'll do okay trying to get a snapshot of Jewish life during this time. But if anyone reads part of this and happens to be Jewish and/or knows more about Jewish culture at the time than I appear to show in my story and would like to present some suggested corrections, I will gladly listen!

also, I decided on a female lead just to mix it up. There won't be any sort of romance element that overtakes everything (though I might decide to have romantic interests, idk), Leah will remain widely independent throughout the story.

so yeah, that's Nephilim

Table of Contents:
    Preface
    Part I: Before
    -Section One
    Part II: After
    Part III: Aftermath

Word Count: 2869
    Last edited by Elfice; November 8th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Re: Nephilim

Preface

Nephilim. The progeny of men and angels. Feared by the mortals and looked down upon by the divine, the Nephilim keep to themselves and rarely venture outside of their cities, both walled off to keep out humanity, and warded off to repel the immortal. They care not for material wealth, nor fame, but instead sought peace. When men and angels would fight, the Nephilim would intervene to stop the conflict, as they possessed incredible powers, far beyond that of a man or angel. Ranging from power over the elements to power over the mind, the Nephilim were skilled fighters, and their presence on the battlefield meant swift bloodshed. After generations of allowing their presence, the gods grew tired of their existence, and sought their extermination. Knowing that they were not long for the world, the Nephilim sent their most clever and powerful men to sow the seeds for the final generation of Nephilim, but ultimately, only one grew into a child. This is her tale. The last of her kind, and the first to guide the world into a new way of existence.

[[I am definitely going to add to this later, the ending of it in particular doesn't strike me as very well-crafted, and I might want to add some of the beginning sections of part I to it later on, idk for sure though. Just consider this a work in progress]]

hey look a tumblr

Part I: Before

Just a quick note - besides the division of the three parts, there's not going to be any further subdivision of the story. I'll take care of the OP and navigation and whatnot as I go along.

Spoiler: Section One 

Word Count: 2869
    Last edited by Elfice; November 8th, 2013 at 03:45 AM.

hey look a tumblr

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Re: Nephilim

i'm at least nominally jewish and i like what you have so far (although idk if those are linked because there doesn't seem to be a crazy huge jewish element so far)
    have an official seal of ap-jew-val
    get it it's like approval but it's also a jew joke

Thread Information