Thread: Artistic Café II

Artistic Café II

After much thought of either finding and resurrecting my old (...old old old...) art thread or starting an entirely new one, I had decided to start fresh. I have (recently) been working on my art skills and trying to really fix my old animated style by changing it into a more realist style. Hopefully, you will be able to see progress from my drawing I made last year all the way to a few months ago.

Also, this time around, I will not be doing requests. I have my own plans (over 40 or so) and I want to finish them by time September comes to an end. I am practicing so much to I can see if I can get anything extra as of a scholarship.

I present to you, from oldest (hence worst) to most recent, my art (mostly sketches).
    Spoiler: Captain Jack Sparrow 

Spoiler: AJ Green 

Spoiler: Joey Votto 

Spoiler: Link and Epona 

Spoiler: Adrian Peterson 

Spoiler: RGIII 

I wish I could make my pictures little thumbnails or something, just to save space and make it look more professional. Comments and critiques are always welcomed!

Re: Artistic Café II

Patriot's Quarterback Tom Brady

This took be about four hours and his hands still bug me. I feel like I got the face right, but his lower body looks a bit sloppy.

You guys can never guess what I watched recently. Hint it starts with a 'B' and ends with a 'S'.

Gotham's Reckoning: Bane

...and if you guessed Blues Clues, YOU'RE right!

Humor aside, this took me like eight hours to draw and heck, I'm proud of it all! I think that I could get some better shading on his neck and near the eyes, but I think this as to be my best pencil work in a long time/forever!

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Do you draw with reference pictures in mind, or do you just freestyle/freehand/whatever the whole thing? Some of these feel like you are, but something tells me you're not.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

For this one and a few others, I used a reference picture. Yeah, using a reference belittles the skill of the artist somewhat, but for this, I used a reference picture just to get the basic outline of Bane (and his mask), then I drew without the reference.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solux View Post
    For this one and a few others, I used a reference picture. Yeah, using a reference belittles the skill of the artist somewhat, but for this, I used a reference picture just to get the basic outline of Bane (and his mask), then I drew without the reference.
    Reference pictures belittle the skill of the artist?

Not quite... if you're still learning (and it sounds like you are), then reference pictures are perfectly fine. Many modern masterpieces of art like the Mona Lisa had their own reference (albeit not a picture) to go by as well, so using a reference isn't a bad thing - so I would think. My question was in regards to if you're using them, because it definitely looks like you're taking your own stance on posing the human shapes to begin with, and that's already a step ahead from just directly copying a reference picture.

I mean, looking at the pictures as you've gone along, there's definite signs of progress so that's also something to note as well.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Nice work on these! You clearly go for a high level of realism, and you certainly have a knack for creating appropriately good looking textures, especially in your most recent works. Additionally, the mechanical elements in your newest Bane picture look excellent.

On the issue of using reference, Eltrotraw makes a good point-- it's an extremely helpful tool, especially when you're going for the level of realism that you are. I get the impression, though, that when you say reference belittles artistic skill, you're mostly talking about direct reference, where the image you're creating is meant to be an exact copy of your reference. I understand that sentiment, as I'm reluctant to copy pictures directly when I draw as well. That's not to say that using direct reference mars your skill or makes you less of an artist, though-- it's justifiably standard practice in some kinds of art-- it's just a desire to be original.

From my perspective, there's absolutely no shame in making liberal use of other kinds of reference either, such as proportional guides, different angles of the subject, and detailed images of individual elements. Those are tools, and making good use of them can greatly improve how your picture ends up looking. I certainly get the impression that you do use such things when you draw, though, as both your skill at replicating textures and details and your ability to create the likeness of individual faces and features suggest it.

From a criticism standpoint, I think what stood out to me most was were proportion and size, the same troublesome issues every artist faces. This is definitely something I see improvement in from beginning to end, which tells me you recognize the issue and address it in subsequent drawings. There's still room for improvement in your newest pictures, as with everyone. Personally, I find that getting a handful of good reference pictures from different angles is a great way to make improvements here, since the more angles you have, the better you can judge how relative lengths and sizes change with shifts in perspective.

In any case, thanks for sharing!
    For those interested in Nintendo fan art, feel free to check out my art thread, The Overdue.

Thanks you guys for the positive feedback! I'm really glad you two can see some change in my drawings! There are defiant pros in using references for sure, I just want to get to the point where I can free hand drawings as good as my reference drawings. Practice!!!

Taylor Swift: Breakup Artist
    This is my first time drawing a girl, so sorry if I offend any females on this site! ;P Is it sad that I want to date my picture

Alright, I've been working on some athletes for my art projects, and I just entered him to a contest that, if I win, could receive $20,000 towards a scholarship and $3,000 towards myself.

Alright, now that I am graduated and it's (implied) summer vacation, I'm gonna start posting some more art! This is one of my last projects I did this year, it's an Ink (pen) of Cincinnati Reds' pitcher Johnny Cueto.

Stars are meant to shine

A five hour "sketch" of Seattle Seahawk Richard Sherman. I initially drew him out on plain paper, then found a black piece of construction paper, and then cut around him (which is why he looks rough and jagged.) I'm pleased with how he turned out!

A little project I have been working on before school and work start! The last MLB player to ever wear the historic #42 jersey. I'm a bit rusty, but I like how it's turning out!

Spoiler: Exit sandman, Mariano Rivera 

I have a little drawing tribute to one of the finest people and Sportscenter people in the past forever.

“When you die, that does not mean you lose to cancer, you beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.” –Stuart Scott (1965-2015)

You were as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Audrey Hepburn, everybody! This is a really "eh" drawing, especially since it took one hour do draw and her face is so light.

Thread Information