Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: City Redux

Infinite Energy Powering Nothing Yggdrasil's Avatar

Re: City Redux

Vivian disliked the woman she witnessed enter the lobby. Purple, bleh. Not the ideal color for any occasion in Vivian's opinion, especially one as seemingly important as this. The demoness shrugged. It made no difference what color outfit she wore, Vivian supposed. But, the choice of attire altogether was strange. Business casual for an event like this? Vivian smirked. In a way, it reminded her of her own boss.

Her thoughts were interrupted by an elevator ding. The whole company was expected to go up. The only other female of the group entered first, grumbling to herself, and took a position against the far elevator wall. Givin a glare to the rest of the crowd, Vivian entered next, deciding to stand next to Martius. She mimicked Martius's expression as she stared not at the floor but at the woman in purple. What an ugly color.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; April 21st, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Fate in life ever changing
    Ever gaining; ever loosing
    Ever rising; ever falling
    A swirling tide upon the seas of time

Ever coming; ever going
    Ever smiling; ever frowning
    Such are the moments of life
    And ever onward the tide of time swirls
    Ad infinitum

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Aeon craned his neck to see the girl who had just entered the room. She was a pretty purple lady, but Aeon didn't hold it against her. If the world was in dire danger, he too would wear whatever he felt like wearing. While Aeon didn't really think the world was in danger, the tone of this woman's voice made his think something was aloof.

The woman said something about an elevator to go see her boss. Again, Aeon craned even further, but this time a loud pop came from the back of his neck. Aeon clenched his teeth and squeezed his eyes shy. There were many advantages to being an old man but certainly rusty joins and regular pains weren't one of them. With no time to spare, Aeon's hand went to this neck. Briefly they glowed white as a simple healing charm came to the old man's mind. Ten second later, the pain was gone and Aeon's neck was free to swivel around once again. He had to be careful in his old age.

Aeon grabbed his staff and entered the elevator. Noting the glares of both women already inside, Aeon decided to take up post by the doors. He leaned on his staff and waited with patience.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

Basil was the next to stand. Before he did though, he looked at the lady in purple. "She's certainly... violet," he thought. "Although I must say I love her hat. The purple really compliments the purple in her purple." He stretched a bit, before strolling over to the elevator. As he entered, he took note of the scowls the two girls had on their faces. They were mildly frightening.

He nodded at the girls as he walked into the elevator, and took the opportunity to snark. "You two certainly look happy to be here." Not his best snarks, but what matters is that he tried. He turned, and nodded at Aeon. "Father Time."

He stood in the corner, next to Vivian, and leaned against the wall with his hands in his hoodie pockets. After a moment, he spoke again. "So, you ladies come here often?"

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be forum users pretending to be cowboys. Sansato's Avatar

Seth took note of the woman's all purple ensemble. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but then again, he couldn't care less. Seth noticed that several people were already in the elevator. He decided not to waste anymore time and entered the elevator himself. He stood in the middle of the elevator. Position hardly matters when your stuck in an elevator with 7 people and a robot. Any attempts at avoiding interaction would probably be moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Every EULA ever
    Do you like our products and/or services? Give us your immortal soul.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Lee watched the others stepping into the elevator. "I don't like this... that woman didn't exactly reek of trustworthiness. But it's a risk I'll have to take to get to the bottom of this." Lee stepped inside, taking up a position on one side of the door, opposite the old man. "If someone does try something funny, I'll be close to the controls." He doubted this would be necessary - no one in the room looked too threatening.

Lee took the opportunity to sum up the strange entourage. The one guy in the hoodie... he seemed like a casual specimen. Real relaxed. Seemed to think he was some sort of comedian. He wondered what importance a clown like that could have, but then again... that carefree demeanor may be a cover-up for a truly unhinged pysche. He'd keep an eye on him.

The girl in the light grey cap... a brooder. Her skin had a strange texture, like burnt toast. She was obviously disgusted with the whole situation, and looked as if she was ready to break the bones of anyone who got near her. Lee wisely avoided making eye contact with her but noticed the hoodie guy trying to be friendly. That didn't seem like it would end well.

The other girl was a brooder as well, but she seemed more normal. Fit, but otherwise there was nothing truly unusual about her. Lee wondered how she had managed to hold her own against the men in the alley, but then again he hadn't been able to get a good view. Perhaps she was just very good with karate... uh-oh. A karate master. Now there, there was someone to avoid.

The old man across the way looked harmless enough. Harmless, but erudite. Lee decided he'd be a good man to drill for information… until he noticed the staff in his hand. "A wizard's staff." He didn't want to tangle with a guy who could potentially turn him into a toad. Looking up, their eyes briefly met… and Lee was struck by the chill of cold terror. Surely those eyes contained a threat! Implicit, but certain: Defy me, and certain doom shall strike your heart and tear you asunder... Lee gulped and straightened his tie with quivering fingers.

The man standing in the center was reassuringly ordinary. A punk, like the hoodie guy, only less deadly. But why was he standing in the exact center like that? Surely that was a little odd. He seemed to recall reading about a case just like this, where a student of black magic had walked into a room and stood in the exact center, then called down curses upon everyone in the building by building a giant pentagram. Of course, Lee wasn't a superstitious guy, but he had to wonder... What sinister sorcery lay behind those cold, unfeeling sunglasses?

Two of their party had hesitated before entering the elevator. This immediately sent off warning sirens in Lee's head. The guy with the headphones - what was that necklace around his… well, around his neck? Was it just his imagination, or did it pulse slightly with some sort of energy? He spun his gaze around to the shade-wearing sorcerer. Were they in on this together? Planning to unleash some sort of mystic ritual on the whole city? With the raw energy of that artifact, and the power of those eldritch shades, what unspeakable terror would they wreak?

Horrified, Lee forced himself to focus on the other outsider, who looked like he was thoroughly ticked. His costume was outlandish - Lee pitied anyone who felt like they had to dress like some sort of hero in a pulp magazine. But that sword… it was of a peculiar design. If that man was trained to use it, his silly costume wouldn't stop him from being a menace. As it was, however, he seemed like the most harmless of the company.

He almost didn't notice the robot in the corner. Judging from his closed-off body language he was obviously intimidated… unless… unless he was programmed by the men in business suits to remain in the shadows! An infiltrator drone, sent to keep them in line, or BOOM - they hit the floor, struck down by an impenetrable paragon of robotic perfection. It gave him chills. Where would these automatons strike next? "First BitF City, tomorrow the world..."

Lee fiddled with his tie nervously as he realized his predicament: He was surrounded by highly dangerous killers who could easily take him out in a fraction of a second. He'd have to play a lone hand on this one. But hey, a job like this came with risks, and you just had to accept them when you signed on...
    Last edited by Aquinas; April 22nd, 2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Me colorblindness's slipping
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

Vivian slowly brought her glare around to Basil. Little pieces of her charbroiled flesh drifted toward the hoodied man, leaving dark, discolorations on his hoodie. Vivian was in no mood for such things. She had a job to do in this city, but this small side quest would delay her, maybe greatly depending on how future events turned.

Vivian became aware that the detective of the room, Lee, was staring at her. She gave him a curt smile before once again brooding over the woman in purple. This was just awful; Vivian hoped it ended quickly.

Ever coming; ever going
    Ad infinitum

DarkruLegioSquallant Bias Mendicant Bias's Avatar

Architect edged it's way into the elevator, taking a spot on the left wall. It was careful to stay away from the demoness, as it really didn't trust it's metal plating against fire. That was a losing battle no matter what.

It caught a glimpse of the detective, and for a moment, it thought that it's optical receptors were malfunctioning. What odd colors to wear- almost certainly not normal human behavior. Unless this was what they called "fashion". That was something Architect wasn't sure it would ever master. For a moment, the detective looked at Architect, and then quickly looked away. He seemed nervous- perhaps an introduction would make him more comfortable. Architect extended it's hand to Lee, and greeted him in as cordial a fashion as an android can greet someone. "Hello, sir. We believe introductions are in order. We are called Architect. Yourself?"
    The real heroes.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

"No, I don't recall ever being kidnapped before this, actually." Martius responded
    Which is actually pretty odd considering our line of work.
    "I-I'm sorry, I'm not usually this... snippy."
    Odd word choice.
    'Oh like you're any better.'
    No, I was, that was sincere, I wasn't expecting snippy. It's more an obscure word.
    'Whatever'

"I guess getting tazed kind of puts you in a bad mood, huh."
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Check rolled his eyes at the woman (not like anyone could tell), and started walking towards the elevators. While on his way to the elevator, Check thought of different ways he could get out of this building without needing to say a single word. He walked to the elevator, but stopped before he went in. He looked around at the people standing, and then walked over to the other elevator. He hated talking, but he hated crowded elevators even more. He pointed inside the second one and said to the woman in purple, "Mind if I take this one?"

Basil smiled. "Snippy? Pshaw. I don't think I've ever met anybody more chipper than you, Martius. And the electricity really did this nice thing to your hair, it's all... electric? I guess? Is that adjective applicable?" He looked around a bit. The dude from Daft Punk had entered the elevator. Interesting. Also, there was a guy who seemed vaguely similar to Basil in backstory, and an overly nervous detective. Also interesting. "So, Martius... You really a superhero? Or is it just, like, a hobby?"

Miss Lila looked at Check. "Well, sir, although we'd really prefer you to use the same elevator as the others, I don't think the boss would mind if you used the other... or maybe he would... N-no, he wouldn't. I'm sure of it. So, in short, yes. You can take the other elevator."
    Last edited by Kiwi; April 22nd, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

"Hmm?" Martius began to try and feel the difference in her hair. "Thanks, I guess."

'Superheroing, is that what we're calling this.'
    Of course, what else would you call it?
    'I don't know. Crime fighting. Vigilantism. Assault of criminals.'
    Those all mean superhero, so of course we're a superhero.
    "Well, I don't got a cape or anything, but yeah. I superhero."

'Miss Lila'. Dante took note of the name. 'Her all purple ensemble is certainly appropriate'.
    He looked toward the elevator opposite the one everyone seemed to be taking. While he would certainly love to not be in a crowded elevator, his shrink often told him to look at situations like these as a chance for self-improvement. 'He's not even a real doctor. What does he know?', he told to himself.
    But he did end up entering the crowded elevator. He took a spot on the left, near the Bangalter guy. Upon hearing his voice, robotic and without a french accent, he concluded that he was not a musical genius, but rather an android.
    Perhaps this was an opportunity. Despite his aversion to people, he really liked observing human behaviour.
    He sometimes wondered if he was a robot himself.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Lee almost had a heart attack when the automaton approached him. The fact that he looked like Thomas Bangalter only added to his paranoia, as the idea of people-impersonating robots sent to infiltrate key world factions had now wormed its way into his brain. He sighed a little when the android extended his hand and introduced himself. He didn't seem to be hostile.

Yet.

He considered introducing himself as Roy Earle but decided against it. They probably already knew who he was, and lying may just get him ground into a bloody pulp on the carpet.

"The name's Chane. Lee Chane, private investigator." Lee took the robot's hand cautiously, ready to spring back should his grip tighten suddenly. "So... whaddaya know about all this?"
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be forum users pretending to be cowboys. Sansato's Avatar

Seth kept to himself, observing everyone else in the elevator. He determined that he would need an ally or two once he reached the top (Or perhaps the bottom), though he wasn't sure who among them would be the most beneficial. There were too many unknowns and he couldn't accurately gauge the strengths and weaknesses of any of his peers by simply observing them in an elevator. He guessed he would just have to ally himself with anyone who was willing.

Seth turned and looked towards Aeon. Out of all of them, he seemed the most trustworthy. Seth spoke to the old man, trying not to startle him. "Hey. Old Man. What do you think's gonna happen when we get to the top?".

Architect shook Lee's hand, a bit surprised that the detective had such a limp handshake. A man of his stature should have a fairly strong grip from Architect's research. "We are afraid we can offer no information, at least none that is already known. We are assuming that you know just as little." Architect took another look around the elevator. Most of it's occupants had loosened up a bit, at least enough to start conversation. It noted that the woman dressed as a superhero seemed to be mumbling to herself. Troubling behavior, possibly indicative of schizophrenia. A dangerous condition in most cases, but quite good for Architect. It had never gotten to examine a human with a mental illness before, at least not this close. Close observation would be necessary.
    The real heroes.

Aeon nodded politely to Basil. The term "Father Time" was a new one for him, but he supposed he could roll with the name. Even though the name was slightly offensive to his age, Aeon was determined no to let a simple stereotype get in his way of leaving everyone in a neutral light.

Aeon's mind started to wander as they waited for final boarding. The chunk of crystal glowed slightly as he remembered the first time he had stepped within the city's boarders.

"Hey. Old Man." A question thrown in Aeon's direction brought the old man back to the present. Aeon looked at Seth.
    "My lad, I really haven't a clue. I would like to come to the thought that they don't intend on harming us though. It'd be rather pointless to bring us here to destroy us rather than do the work separately; my gut tells me this is no trap."

Miss Lila counted up everyone in the elevator, and also Check. "That looks like everyone," she thought. With that, she smiled, adjusted her hat, and entered the elevator. "If I may, sir," she said as she shooed Lee out of the way of the elevator controls. "I'm the one who'll be operating the elevator, sorry." She pressed the button for the top floor, which closed both their elevator and Check's. Then, they started going up.

And up. And up. And up and up and up, all the way to the top of the building.

After three minutes of awkward silence among the group, the elevator stopped with a PING, and the doors slid open. A few seconds later, so did Check's. Miss Lila herded everybody out with an "Everybody outside, please!", after which she stood in front of the group, eagerly awaiting something.

Basil took note of the room they were in. It appeared to be a huge office of some kind, with a desk on the far end of the room sitting in front of a large window that overlooked the city. There were couches lining the walls, with paintings hung above them. The entire thing was painted white. Basil took the opportunity to whistle, and said, "Woo, Swaaaaanky."

As soon as Basil said that, Miss Lila turned quickly towards him and shooshed him. "P-please refrain from talking until the boss gets here!"

And then, as if on cue, a man entered the room. He looked sort of young, at most in his early thirties. He had slicked-back blond hair and pale skin, with eyes that were obscured by the near-constant glare on his glasses. He was wearing a white suit with white pants and a pair of white shoes. He seemed pretty happy, for some reason.

"Hello everyone, I'm Cecil Garlish!" He clasped his hands together. "And I'm so glad to finally meet all of you! But, uh, before we get down to business, there's just one little thing to take care of. Miss Lila, would you come over here please?"

"Uh... c-certainly, sir." Miss Lila nervously walked towards Cecil, visibly shaking as Cecil beckoned her near.
    After she reached him, Cecil pulled Miss Lila close. "Hello, love. How've you been?"
    Miss Lila seemed relieved. "I've been goo-"
    "Not important! What I'm wondering is, why were both elevators in use just now?"
    Miss Lila no longer seemed relieved. "That's because Mr., um, Mr. Check opted to take one on his own, sir."
    "And who authorized him to use the other elevator, Miss Lila?"
    "...me."
    "Hrm? You'll have to speak up, dear."
    "It w-was me, sir." She looked down.
    "Oh, it was you, was it? Well then..." Cecil pulled away from Miss Lila, and turned his back to her.

Eventually, Miss Lila spoke up. "S-sir? Are you oka-" She was cut off as a loud SMACK! reverberated through the spacious office. She reeled back, and held a hand to her face. Cecil started shaking his open hand in the air.
    "I distinctly remember telling you I wanted everything perfect for this! And what do you do? You mess it up! Like you always do! You idiot!"
    Her voice cracking, Miss Lila replied, "I'm sorry sir! I didn't think you'd mind!"
    Cecil simply stared at her for a moment, before clearing his throat, straightening his tie, and taking a deep breath. "Well, as long as you're sorry, I suppose it isn't that big of a deal." He took another look at Lila. "Now don't cry, dear. At least I didn't excommunicate you, or anything, right?"
    Suddenly, Lila smiled. "O-oh, yeah! Thank you, sir."
    "That's the spirit, love. Now go stand in the corner and await further instruction, will you?"
    And so she did.

Basil's jaw was agape after the display he'd just witnessed. He whispered to whoever he was standing next to, who happened to be Dante, "Are they serious? That's, uh, that's pretty messed up."

Cecil, somehow, heard what Basil said. "Messed up, is it? Oh no. I just run a tight ship around here, that's all! Now then, all of you are here, so we can get started! Like I said, I'm Cecil Garlish, and I bet you're wondering why you're all here! Since I hate wasting time, let's just get to the point!" He pressed a button on his cufflink, and the large window turned into a large screen. A picture of some kind of statue shaped like a salamander appeared on it. "Now then, as you know, my name is Cecil Garlish. I run this whole company." He smiled. "Now then, as you also know, today is the 130th anniversary of the City. As such, us here at Garlish Corp., which is run by me, Cecil Garlish, decided to donate the statue you see on the screen to the City Museum. We found it on an expedition to the... Forbidden Island, off the North Coast. It's estimate to be worth six-hundred million dollars. Chump change to me, of course, but it's still important."

He extended his arms. "So, you're probably wondering what this has to do with you nine! Well, I'm glad you didn't ask! You see, at eleven thirty last night, it was stolen by a group of rapscallions! Normally, we wouldn't mind, because, once again, six-hundred million isn't much. Unfortunately, we'd already promised the City the statue, and it'd be bad for our company's image if we didn't deliver. I think you can tell where I'm going with this! As in, yoooooou guys are going to go retrieve it for us by seven AM tomorrow, ok? Thanks, you're great. The criminals are holed up somewhere in the city wharf, have fun!"

Miss Lila coughed, as if to remind him of something.

"Oh, yes, of course. I'm supposed to ask if you have any questions?"

Vivian stepped forward. She was steaming slightly and not just figuratively. A light smoke was rising from her head, creating a light cloud in the room.
    "Really? This is what you called us here for? A statue. That you lost. I was called all the way from my mission for a statue. I'm out."

Vivian and marched back toward the elevators. She was not happy; nor would her boss once he found out she had been distracted from her true mission.

Ever coming; ever going
    Ad infinitum

The pure amount of hate that spewed from JoAnn within Martius' subconscious caused her to grit her teeth in secondhand spite.
    Who does this guy think he is!
    'Cecil Garlish obviously.'
    Well I assure you, Cecil Garlish isn't as important as Cecil Garlish seems to think he is.
    'I thought you'd be all over a criminal case like this.'
    Well you know what, I think Mr. Garlish needs a couple crimes committed against him.
    'Glad you think so, I have a plan. But I want some more information first.'

"Hey, hold on." she called to the leaving teenager. Taking a step forward, she shoved a pointer finger in Cecil's direction, "Mr. Garlic, I'm going to take the high ground here and assume you're not stupid. You want to give us a reason to help you out here in your own predicament?
    "In fact, you put forth a lot of energy to get us here. What exactly does this statue mean to you? Why is it so important you had to build several androids just to call on us?"

Garlish seemed pleased with Martius's question. "This statue, love, means unimaginably much to me. I am a man of my word, and I gave my word that I'd give this City that statue! Therefore, I'll do anything to get it back. Anything at all." He smiled. "As for why you should help me, there are two, count 'em, two reasons you should help me. First of all, I can get you anything you want as payment, barring something like a dinosaur or the entirety of the Dominican Republic. Money is no object, I can assure you." He looked at Vivian, who was trying to leave. "Oh, and, the second reason would be the fact that if you refuse to help me, you're all going to die. No pressure! Now, any more questions?"

Basil raised his hand. "Yeah, I'd like to know if you were always this insane? Or did you have to take classes?"

Cecil stared at him for a moment, before abruptly chuckling. "That was quite humorous, Mr. Hevel! You know what else is humorous?" He pulled out a gun and shot at the ground right in front of Basil's foot, causing him to jump back. "The fact that if you make another joke like that, the bullet's going in your face! Now then, any questions that aren't idiotic?"
    Last edited by Kiwi; April 23rd, 2013 at 08:34 PM.

At the risk of attracting hostilities from the man, Architect stepped forward. "Excuse us, Mister Garlish, but we must know- Why did you choose this group to go on this mission? It would appear that none of us have met, and that is quite illogical behavior from a business executive such as yourself." It also seemed quite illogical to fire a bullet at a young man and slap one's assistant, but Architect had witnessed these behaviors before, and they seemed to get results. It elected to not comment on them.
    Last edited by Mendicant Bias; April 23rd, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
    The real heroes.

Seth also spoke up, his respectful tone disguising his utter disgust with the whole situation. "Why not retrieve the statue yourself? You certainly seem to have the resources.". Seth would do as Garlish said, regardless of what his answer was. After all, being alive was better than being dead. However, Seth was certain that Cecil Garlish was a dangerous man and he couldn't tell if he was planning on killing them all, even if they were successful in retrieving the statue. Seth would have to form an alliance with someone if he wanted to maximize his chances of survival and now it seemed that everyone had something to gain from doing just that.

Aeon nearly had a heart failure when Mr. Garlish brandished the gun and shot right at Basil. His dislike for the man was decreasing by the second, and Cecil's actions hadn't helped the case. Sure, this man was rich and obviously owned a wealthy company, but his action did not account for his status in life. Aeon was a simple man, but he was also a peaceful man. People like Mr. Garlish did not sit well it Aeon's stomach.

Aeon especially wasn't pleased by the fact that he was called forth from his solitude for something as small as this theft. But, being a wise and neutral man, Aeon was willing to do this. He would have to think of a reward though. Although he was a wise, humble, and simple man, Aeon sometimes required ... certain things to keep his livelihood going.

Aeon stepped forward. "While I have some personal questions about many things surrounding this whole ordeal, I will remain neutral in my mindset and accept your offer."

Check was upset by the way Cecil treated Lila, especially since it was his fault. But Check, sticking to character, didn't say anything about it and changed the subject. "No dinosaurs, eh?" he said, joking around. "Sounds like a deal breaker to me." Check then got serious and asked, "What are you willing to pay, Garlish? And trust me, saying whatever you can imagine would be a mistake, because I have a pretty big imagination. Check then thought to himself, "What am I doing? I can't help out a freak like this. I need a plan to get out of this fast." Check then looked at the others. He was able to figure out a few people who would also enjoy getting out of here, based on their reactions to the whole thing. He would have to approach them secretly later on, assuming nothing happened to change the situation in between now and then.

"To answer your question, my robotic operating buddy, I chose this set of nine people for very specific reasons. You're all right for very specific challenges. Architect, you'll be useful in breaking in to their base, which I understand is very high tech. Aeon, your wisdom will be useful in passing the... well, I'll just leave that surprise for when you get there."

"Seth, I opted to outsource this retrieval for one reason, and one reason only..." He turned to the screen. "...it would make great television!"

"As for the upper limit on what I'd be willing to give you, let's say, oh, one million dollars each? Or something of equivalent value? Is that sufficient?"
    Last edited by Kiwi; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Thread Information