Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: City Redux

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Re: City Redux

"Awwwww man. Oh man oh man oh man." Lee was completely out of his league, and he knew it. Floating statues were not in his purview, nope, no sir. Especially not freaky possessive statues.

With a groan, Lee threw up his fists in a hopeless defensive stance. "Heeeeeee's possessed! Heeeeeere we go!"
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Aeon fell to his knees, then full onto the ground. He blinked several times before closing his eyes in deep slumber. The old man was beat.

Aeon's staff remained ridged in the ground, still standing where Aeon had planted it for the group's attack on the wall. It was still glowing from the amount of energy that had flowed through it only moments before and seemed as if it was radiating a light heat.
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

Basil just sort of shook in place on the ground, eyes and mouth still emitting beams of alternatingly red and yellow light. This continued for about twelve point twelve seconds before abruptly coming to a stop, the statuette falling harmlessly off of the now-unconscious man's forehead on clanking as it hit the ground, before slowly rolling to Lee's foot and stopping. That was weird, to say the least.

"...Now, I promise I had no idea that was going to happen," said Bia, taking a step back from the scene that had unfurled.

A vague echo was heard by no one.
    Alistair Dante suddenly popped back into existence. "Oh, god", he whispered to himself, holding his head, as if hoping to stave off a headache. How long had it been? Minutes? Days? Months?
    He arrived just in time to see Basil's convulsive bout of reverse epilepsy. The statue, a relatively small salamander statue, clung to his head, until it suddenly didn't. A woman he didn't know spoke an statement of slight surprise.
    "A-alright. Can-can anyone please explain to me what just happened?", asked Dante, his eyes fixated on the statue. "...a-and can we get it to do the same to Garlish? That-that would be k-kind of cool actually".

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

It was at this point that Martius woke back up.
    Not by sheer coincidence mind you, you see at the progressive shock of what the statue was doing adrenaline began to release into JoAnn's body again and considering that several veins in her back lead directly into Martius' own bloodstream in conjunction with the physical connection that Martius had with JoAnn's brain-

the point is, Martius wok up.
    'We don't appear to be out of danger yet. What's the situation?'
    The statue freaked out, attached itself to Basil's head, and yelled some pretty demonic sounding stuff, maybe we should carry it back in quarantine or something.
    'On it.'

Without hesitation, the plates flew from Martius' back and gathered around the statue, in a formation similar to her own wrecking ball formation, but inside out. So that the appendages that connected the plates to her back were on the outside of the ball, and sealed it in.

"Alright, we should-"
    Martius hesitated, the fact that her plating had dented and broken her hosts nose began to nag at her again.
    "we should be safe now. Let's just get this thing back, yeah?"
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

Lee hopped backwards with an embarrassing squeak as the freakylizardstatuething touched his shoe. For a moment, nobody said anything.

Then one of the black magicians piped up. "A-alright. Can-can anyone please explain to me what just happened? ...A-and can we get it to do the same to Garlish? That-that would be k-kind of cool actually."

Lee straightened his tie. "Ahem, yes, well. As to your first question, we have... well. To be honest, I'm a bit in the dark on that point as well. The stuff that's gone on in the last few hours has been enough to make me question everything I've ever assumed to be a natural law, so I'm probably not the best one to answer that." He paused for effect. Exactly what effect he hoped to achieve was lost on everyone, probably including himself. "Your second question... I really don't know. Someone should get on that, and furthermore, we uh, might want to check on the bum to see if he's still-"

He was cut off by the sudden extension of Martius's metal plates, which scooped up the statute. "Let's just get this thing back, yeah?" No! Wait, not yet. Not until we've had a chance to solve the mystery.

"No, stop! I mean... hold your horses, little lady. There's a puzzle here, a knot to unravel. Let's not go moseying back to that skunking scamp until we've had a chance to get the lowdown on this terrible trinket." ...Might have been a bit much, but there was something to be said for style.
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

DarkruLegioSquallant Bias Mendicant Bias's Avatar

Architect's visor flickered back to life. The sudden energy surge from the possession of Basil had knocked its systems for a loop. "If we may, Miss Martius-" it said, stepping forward at first, then back so as not to seem aggressive, then forward again after reconsidering. "It may be best for us to carry the statue. After all, it has displayed anomalous effects with organic matter, and if we are not mistaken," Architect tapped a metallic finger on her plates. "These are organic. We, being synthetic as we are, may not carry a risk of 'possession', if it is indeed possession." Architect paused for a moment. "We must also voice out concurrence with Mr. Chane. If there is anything more to be learned about this statue, we feel it best to learn it."
    The real heroes.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

That's a, uh,
    that's a good point actually.

'What? JoAnn I can protect you, there's no way it would be capable of harming you from within my shields.'
    Probably, yeah. But we don't know what exactly we're dealing with here, so maybe it'd be best to go with the safest option here, the non-biological member of our team. We are part of a team now, maybe we should act like one and utilize each other's strengths.
    'But- But I-'

With a few facial twitches, Martius' sphere of protection opened up like a black, metallic rose, exposing the statue standing in the middle.

What do we now know about the statue? It belongs to Garlish, he was going to donate it to a charity or museum or something, it was stolen b a mercenary group, he's willing to spend a huge sum of money to get the statue back, and he wanted us specifically to do so. This implies something special about the statue.
    'Yeah, I'll say there's something special about it.'
    This probably means that Garlish wants to use its abilities for something, something that might probably have to do with whomever he's donating this statue towards.
    'Maybe-'
    What?
    'Nothing, nevermind, it's a dumb idea.'
    We're probably going to need every idea we can get at this point.
    'Maybe he wants to use its power on us. Why did he tell us to do this in the first place, we're probably a group of the most powerful people nearby, if it has the ability to control minds or whatever, maybe we're what Garlish is looking for.'

'It's just a thought.'

Architect reached out and, very carefully, took the statue from Martius. It scanned the statue and its own systems and found nothing anomolous. "It would appear that the statue does not have any effect on us, at least none that have displayed themselves as of now. We will keep the statue safe until it is decided what to do." Architect kept several programs monitoring its vital systems. Were the statue to affect it, it would know immediately.
    The real heroes.

Meanwhile, back at the... five feet away, Basil was, uh, comatose? Dead? Dying? Whatever he was, he didn't seem to be visibly breathing or moving. It'd perhaps be a good idea to check on him, though it's really up to the rest of the group. Maybe they all secretly want Basil to die? That'd be a neat twist.

Meanwhile, again, Cecil Garlish was at his desk. His guest had just left. Spinning around in his swivel chair (wheeeee!), he looked out on the horizon, at the midnight sky. "Wherever could those idiots be... Miss Lila!" He called out for his assistant/secretary/whatever her job is, despite her being just to his left.
    "Uh, y-yes, sir?"
    "What do you think is taking them so long?"
    "P-perhaps they've encount-t-tered some resistance?"

"Perhaps... that League of Mercenaries does tend to be a thorn in my side. It's no surprise really, considering their leader. Oh, I hadn't thought about him. Hehe."
    "S-sir? What is it"
    "Well, it just occurred to me that, once he's realized that his League has failed an assignment, he'll be angry. And, knowing him, when he's angry, he'll look for those responsible. Thus, he may or may not track down our little team and kill them one by one. Whoops."
    "So, wait... You sent those poor p-p-people to their deaths?!"
    "Yes, it seems I did... say, do you want to get some late dinner? You, me, a nice tenderloin?"

Suddenly, almost as if he were a roleplayer receiving information from the Dungeon Master, Dante had a horrible realisation. Amidst the mystery surrounding the statue and its strange effects, no one had thought to check on Basil. It was, perhaps, ironic that, despite it being his plight that sparked this discussion, more attention had been paid to the statue than to him.
    "H-hey, guys, what about B-basil? I-it doesn't look like he's breathing". Dante produced a spark of light and held it above his eyes, apparently unaware of how basic vital signs work.
    Last edited by Jeff Andonuts; June 19th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.

Architect ran over to Dante and Basil. The latter looked to be in rough shape, to say the least. Architect grabbed him with one arm, careful to keep the statue away from him, and hefted him over its shoulder, taking him back to the others and setting him in front of them. "It does appear that Mr. Hevel is comatose. We are afraid we are not programmed for medical intervention. Does anyone in this group know anything about medicine? If not, we suggest finding a healthcare facility quickly."
    The real heroes.

"Uh, shoot," Bia says, cracking her knuckles. Force of habit. "I don't think a hospital can help with 'demonic possession', kids. You may wanna, hate to say it, take him to that Garlish fellow. He may know what to do, right? It's his statue." Although it sounded like a bad idea... it was a pretty good idea.

((Hey City-ers, Kiwi here! This plot is on the verge of wrapping up, so I'd like to remind anybody with a subplot they'd like to run to remind me of it over PM! If you've already sent a form in, then you only need to remind me that you did (Sorry, my memory ain't the best!), but if you haven't, make sure to fill one out! Kiwi out, peace!))

Infinite Energy Powering Nothing Yggdrasil's Avatar

Vivian pointed to Aeon who was also incapacitated on the ground.
    "I would wager our Mage is capable of such feats of medical healing, but he too is down and out. And I agree with Bia on the fact that no medical centers anywhere would touch a case of demonic magic. They might think us a cult and get the authorities involved, and from what we know of Garish, we probably don't want that."
    Fate in life ever changing
    Ever gaining; ever loosing
    Ever rising; ever falling
    A swirling tide upon the seas of time

Ever coming; ever going
    Ever smiling; ever frowning
    Such are the moments of life
    And ever onward the tide of time swirls
    Ad infinitum

You know what, maybe we should actually try to do things before assuming that we're just out of our jurisdiction.
    'You did eventually get specific in that statement, but your start was very, very vague.'
    How about we CHECK his VITALS before turning him over to anything.
    'Oh. Right.'

Martius leaned down over Basil's prostrate body, and put her ear against Basil's chest.
    "His heart sounds fine but you're right, he's not breathing. Maybe we should try to help before rushing him to Garlish."

Without further ado, Martius began an attempt to administer CPR, JoAnn reciting Stayin' Alive to help keep her on beat, 30 compressions and then rescue breathing.
    Didn't they get rid of that step?
    Martius gave a very impressive mental shrug, and tried to feel Basil breathing before going again.

Thread Information