Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 143 of 143

Thread: EarthBound thread

  1. #126
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Just out of curiousity and to ask... has anyone else played Mother 3 or EarthBound 0? I have beaten the former and like it a lot better than the latter. Also just about ALL references to the MOTHER series in SSBB come from Mother 3, which is odd because it was never released outside of Japan. The one main non -spoiler one I can say is Lucas, why would Nintendo offer a character that we (English speakers) have no idea what his story is into Brawl? I was luck enough to root around and find a good ROM for the VBA that comes with an English patch, but I feel guilty for it. Sadly it is the only way to get it... I still HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that likes EarthBound.

    Oh and I am trying a challenge in EB now... buy the house in Onett (the one by the sea that cost $7500) before beating Frank. This is much harder and boring than it sounds, basically, you have to beat up HEAPS of Sharks for money and hope they drop Bags of Fries, Hamburgers and/or Pizzas. It is a cool challenge though, really tests your patience and I didn't buy the house my first time beating the game.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  2. #127
    Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, Mar 2 2010
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARC Trooper CX-7529 View Post
    Just out of curiousity and to ask... has anyone else played Mother 3 or EarthBound 0? I have beaten the former and like it a lot better than the latter. Also just about ALL references to the MOTHER series in SSBB come from Mother 3, which is odd because it was never released outside of Japan. The one main non -spoiler one I can say is Lucas, why would Nintendo offer a character that we (English speakers) have no idea what his story is into Brawl? I was luck enough to root around and find a good ROM for the VBA that comes with an English patch, but I feel guilty for it. Sadly it is the only way to get it... I still HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that likes EarthBound.

    Oh and I am trying a challenge in EB now... buy the house in Onett (the one by the sea that cost $7500) before beating Frank. This is much harder and boring than it sounds, basically, you have to beat up HEAPS of Sharks for money and hope they drop Bags of Fries, Hamburgers and/or Pizzas. It is a cool challenge though, really tests your patience and I didn't buy the house my first time beating the game.
    IIRC there's a good number of us here who have played M3, not sure how many have played EB0 though. I've always meant to play EB0, but... just haven't gotten around to it, heh. Mother 3 is fantastic, though. Also, you've got to consider we're not the only ones who got Brawl- obviously Lucas would have been more well known in Japan. Even so, one could argue Brawl was a way to up the exposure that Mother 3 got, but obviously Nintendo didn't do anything with that so lol.


  3. #128
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    IIRC there's a good number of us here who have played M3, not sure how many have played EB0 though. I've always meant to play EB0, but... just haven't gotten around to it, heh. Mother 3 is fantastic, though. Also, you've got to consider we're not the only ones who got Brawl- obviously Lucas would have been more well known in Japan. Even so, one could argue Brawl was a way to up the exposure that Mother 3 got, but obviously Nintendo didn't do anything with that so lol.
    Glad to see we have some M3 players! I love that game, I thought it was a lot harder but, I was under-leveled and short on money all the time so.... But I guess my point is that it would have been really cool if Nintendo had introduced all these Mother 3 things in SSBB (like they did) and then came out with a English version. I would have loved that, but oh well, I have it and can play it anytime on my laptop, it's just sad that a very good game is kind of wasted as is, not being translated.

    Earthbound Zero a piece of work... it is a tribute to grinding and getting lost. Ninten is the only good member so far (I just got Ana) and good Lord is Loid useless. Anyone that ever complained about Jeff has never played with this guy. That and his weapon, guns are EXTREMELY rare only two in the whole game. Plus his items are nerfed horridly in comparison to Jeff's in EB. I am sure my dislike comes from playing EB and M3 before E0 but... ugh. I like it for the fact it IS the classic system of EarthBound but there are just so many pet peeves in it that sour the experience for me.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  4. #129
    Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, Mar 2 2010
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Out of curiosity, are you playing the original or the GBA remake? Not sure how much would be changed in the GBA version but it would likely be better in SOME way.

    And yeah, my first run-through of M3 was actually rather difficult as well. I didn't realize that you got money from each battle until really late in the game, so I'd been using only gear that I got as drops or found as treasure for most of the game. Led to me developing some convoluted strategies to beat certain enemies and bosses, and as a result of me rushing through the game I was pretty badly underleveled as well. Kumatora actually never learned PK Ground in my first game because I never reached that level, so I didn't know it even existed until much later.


  5. #130
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you playing the original or the GBA remake? Not sure how much would be changed in the GBA version but it would likely be better in SOME way.

    And yeah, my first run-through of M3 was actually rather difficult as well. I didn't realize that you got money from each battle until really late in the game, so I'd been using only gear that I got as drops or found as treasure for most of the game. Led to me developing some convoluted strategies to beat certain enemies and bosses, and as a result of me rushing through the game I was pretty badly underleveled as well. Kumatora actually never learned PK Ground in my first game because I never reached that level, so I didn't know it even existed until much later.
    GBA remake, which is kinda sad then....

    Best strategy (since you mentioned it) I know for Mother 3: (This goes Lucas, Kumatora, Duster and Boney):

    1st turn: Shield Omega, PSI Defense Down Omega, Smoke Bomb and Shield Killer
    2nd turn: PSI Attack Up Omega, PSI Offense Down Omega, Tickle Stick and Pencil Rocket/Saltwater Gun
    3rd turn: PSI Defense Up Omega, repeat D. or O. Down Omega or a PSI attack, Kick, Bite

    From there, Lucas does great with Bash, DO NOT WASTE HIS PP WITH PSI LOVE WITH THIS STRATEGY. You'll need him to heal your teammates as your medic, re-buff the shield, and if you want set up Counter/PSI Counter, do that. Kumatora is the heavy hitter; remember PSI Thunder is MUCH better in M3 than in EarthBound, plus PSI Ground is just insane. Duster is pretty straight up, I found myself kicking with him 90% of the time, but his Thief Tools are not to underestimated. The only ones that are good against bosses are the Tickle Stick and/or the Smoke Bomb. Boney is only as good as your items, Shield Killer MUST go to him, he is the fastest by far and since he has no PSI, it is a good way to start a battle. Sniff isn't very useful... most of the time. But have him stocked up on healing and revival ideas along side Duster so Lucas and Kumatora can save some PP here and there, plus there are the two fastest characters. But yeah! A lot more complex than EB in battle.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  6. #131
    It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARC Trooper CX-7529 View Post
    Just out of curiousity and to ask... has anyone else played Mother 3 or EarthBound 0?
    I played through the entire trilogy and my favorite is the very first game, although Mother 2 is very closely behind. It's been quite a while since I played through them so my memory is kinda fuzzy, but I've always meant to play through the Mother 1 GBA port, just to see the differences. I think the fan translation even added an easy mode (equipment) to the GBA game.

    I don't like Mother 3 as much as anybody else here to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's a great and funny game, but I don't like it as a Mother game, for reasons I think I've already explained. Maybe I would like it more if it were part of a different series or standalone, I can't say for sure. But I really wouldn't mind having the special Mother 3 GB micro.

  7. #132
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    I played through the entire trilogy and my favorite is the very first game, although Mother 2 is very closely behind. It's been quite a while since I played through them so my memory is kinda fuzzy, but I've always meant to play through the Mother 1 GBA port, just to see the differences. I think the fan translation even added an easy mode (equipment) to the GBA game.
    I took off the Easy Ring because my Ninten is WAY overleveled... plus it felt a bit cheap using it. Any tips for that game? I feel frustrated a lot with the teammates as I just got Ana and the best thing I have for Loid is a lone Bomb. :/
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  8. #133
    It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Tips for the first game? Like I said I haven't played this one in ages. But let's see what I remeber.

    The most important thing for such an old RPG is grinding. Really grinding in Magicant to be able to buy the equipment there helps a lot, it doesn't help that it's the only place where you can get non weapon equipment, except, I think, one late-game pendant. I would also recommend always carrying the Onyx Hook with you, if things get rough you can always warp back to Magicant and heal there. The downside is potential backtracking, especially when you don't have PSI Teleport yet. Another useful item is the PSI Stone, which recovers your PP. It has multiple uses (meaning it has a chance of 1/8 to break) and you find a lot of them. I would recommend always having one or two around. The last item I'll talk about now is the Franklin Badge. Unlike in the later games, it only works on one attack, PSI Beam Gamma, which is otherwise instakill. It doesn't hurt to give it to Ninten though, that way he's immune to the instakill move and can heal the other team members if they get hit. Don't quote me on that, but I think you get a second FB later as well. Use it or not, personally, I never found it to be of much use.

    Don't forget to get Lloid's and Ana's items (Magic Candy and Magic Ribbon respectively) from the swimming cats in Magicant. They increase one stat by five, Lloid's Fight and Ana's Force and is a one-time use. So no harm done in getting them. No item for Ninten though, he gets left out.

    As for team members, don't expect Ninten to your offensive powerhouse. Unlike Ness, he doesn't learn any PSI attacks, only support moves. But he also learn's 4D-Slip, which guarantees your escape from battle. Make use of it, it's better than trying to run away, only for it to fail. His asthma is only really annoying around the city where you get Lloid, after that part, I never had to use the asthma spray again, so give it to your sister to make space in your backpack.

    Ana, as you probably already know, is your offensive team member. Don't be afraid to use her PSI moves, you can always heal with the PSI stone, as long as you have one. I don't have much to say about her, if you know Paula, you know Ana as well.

    Lloid is dependant on his gadgets and he can get quite a powerful one later, though I don't think it's as powerful as Jeff's Multi Bottle Rockets. The Flame Thrower has multiple uses, like the PSI Stone, but is a random drop in the last city, if you have the patience I would farm for some though. But I would say it's not really worth it, as you lose him a short time after and he'll gone for a long time. Sadly I don't remember much about Lloid, he's just there, use his gadgets, I guess.

    Teddy, despite him being considered a main character in everything, is only in your team for a short while, unless you skip an event where he "leaves" again. He's incredible powerful, but doesn't know any PSI moves and also doesn't have any gadgets to use, unlike Lloid. Still he's useful as long as you have him and you actually find his best(?) weapon during your first visit in Magicant, so you should have it already. But like I said, don't expect him to stay for long, although you'll surely miss him.
    Fun fact: Hacking has shown that Teddy and Pippie have the same status growth. So a high leveled Pippie is as strong as Teddie, who's physically the strongest party member. To keep up with a probably 20-something gang leader, not bad for a little pre-teen girl.

    Sorry if I can't be of much help, like I said, it's been quite a while since I last played it.

  9. #134
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    Tips for the first game? Like I said I haven't played this one in ages. But let's see what I remeber.

    The most important thing for such an old RPG is grinding. Really grinding in Magicant to be able to buy the equipment there helps a lot, it doesn't help that it's the only place where you can get non weapon equipment, except, I think, one late-game pendant. I would also recommend always carrying the Onyx Hook with you, if things get rough you can always warp back to Magicant and heal there. The downside is potential backtracking, especially when you don't have PSI Teleport yet. Another useful item is the PSI Stone, which recovers your PP. It has multiple uses (meaning it has a chance of 1/8 to break) and you find a lot of them. I would recommend always having one or two around. The last item I'll talk about now is the Franklin Badge. Unlike in the later games, it only works on one attack, PSI Beam Gamma, which is otherwise instakill. It doesn't hurt to give it to Ninten though, that way he's immune to the instakill move and can heal the other team members if they get hit. Don't quote me on that, but I think you get a second FB later as well. Use it or not, personally, I never found it to be of much use.

    Don't forget to get Lloid's and Ana's items (Magic Candy and Magic Ribbon respectively) from the swimming cats in Magicant. They increase one stat by five, Lloid's Fight and Ana's Force and is a one-time use. So no harm done in getting them. No item for Ninten though, he gets left out.

    As for team members, don't expect Ninten to your offensive powerhouse. Unlike Ness, he doesn't learn any PSI attacks, only support moves. But he also learn's 4D-Slip, which guarantees your escape from battle. Make use of it, it's better than trying to run away, only for it to fail. His asthma is only really annoying around the city where you get Lloid, after that part, I never had to use the asthma spray again, so give it to your sister to make space in your backpack.

    Ana, as you probably already know, is your offensive team member. Don't be afraid to use her PSI moves, you can always heal with the PSI stone, as long as you have one. I don't have much to say about her, if you know Paula, you know Ana as well.

    Lloid is dependant on his gadgets and he can get quite a powerful one later, though I don't think it's as powerful as Jeff's Multi Bottle Rockets. The Flame Thrower has multiple uses, like the PSI Stone, but is a random drop in the last city, if you have the patience I would farm for some though. But I would say it's not really worth it, as you lose him a short time after and he'll gone for a long time. Sadly I don't remember much about Lloid, he's just there, use his gadgets, I guess.

    Teddy, despite him being considered a main character in everything, is only in your team for a short while, unless you skip an event where he "leaves" again. He's incredible powerful, but doesn't know any PSI moves and also doesn't have any gadgets to use, unlike Lloid. Still he's useful as long as you have him and you actually find his best(?) weapon during your first visit in Magicant, so you should have it already. But like I said, don't expect him to stay for long, although you'll surely miss him.
    Fun fact: Hacking has shown that Teddy and Pippie have the same status growth. So a high leveled Pippie is as strong as Teddie, who's physically the strongest party member. To keep up with a probably 20-something gang leader, not bad for a little pre-teen girl.

    Sorry if I can't be of much help, like I said, it's been quite a while since I last played it.
    How was this NOT uber helpful? :P Silly Giygas, giving me tips on how to destroy you.

    But I see... it seems that I am a stage right now of transition. I am in Magicat at the moment, working away and about to buy the defensive gear for Ana. I hope to find some new gizmo for Loid soon... or find Teddy. Too funny about him and Pippie. I remember her being uber powerful. Is there a way not to return her to her mother and keep her a party member? I didn't try to do that as i am not a trained kidnapper, but it seems it would have been a good idea. You know, fate of the world and all.

    Just hope I get PSI Teleport soon. Magicant's free medical system is as useful as Saturn Valley's!
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  10. #135
    It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Keeping Pippie? No, not through normal means. Maybe there's a glitch, but I don't know of one. The only method I know is using a walk through walls cheat.

    And as for PSI Teleport, it's actually somewhat hidden and can't be learned through level-up, nor is there an in-game event, but you're given hints where to find it.
    In Youngtown you'll find a baby in one of the houses. Use Telepathy and it'll teach you PSI Teleport.

  11. #136
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    Keeping Pippie? No, not through normal means. Maybe there's a glitch, but I don't know of one. The only method I know is using a walk through walls cheat.

    And as for PSI Teleport, it's actually somewhat hidden and can't be learned through level-up, nor is there an in-game event, but you're given hints where to find it.
    In Youngtown you'll find a baby in one of the houses. Use Telepathy and it'll teach you PSI Teleport.
    I can sincerely say I could NOT have guessed that... but hey, thanks!

    One other thing I am not crazy about in Mother is that the soundtrack isn't as captivating as the other two. yes, I know it is a 24 year old game, but EarthBound and Mother 3 had some of the BEST music in all of video games (Pokey Means Business, Onett theme, Natural Killer Cyborg, Strong One, Hustle for Pride, Kraken at Sea... so good ;-; )
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  12. #137
    Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Tuesday, Mar 2 2010
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARC Trooper CX-7529 View Post
    I can sincerely say I could NOT have guessed that... but hey, thanks!

    One other thing I am not crazy about in Mother is that the soundtrack isn't as captivating as the other two. yes, I know it is a 24 year old game, but EarthBound and Mother 3 had some of the BEST music in all of video games (Pokey Means Business, Onett theme, Natural Killer Cyborg, Strong One, Hustle for Pride, Kraken at Sea... so good ;-; )
    Mother 3's OST is one of VERY FEW (read: no others save Pokemon R/S/E) GBA OSTs that I actually think is exceptionally good. GBA songs by nature suffer from a lack of audio quality (because the GBA's speakers were absolutely awful), so it takes something pretty special to make up for that. Mother 3's songs are incredibly innovative, and even surprisingly poignant at times.


  13. #138
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    Mother 3's OST is one of VERY FEW (read: no others save Pokemon R/S/E) GBA OSTs that I actually think is exceptionally good. GBA songs by nature suffer from a lack of audio quality (because the GBA's speakers were absolutely awful), so it takes something pretty special to make up for that. Mother 3's songs are incredibly innovative, and even surprisingly poignant at times.
    I totally agree. The OST fits in with the quirky, sometimes dark mood of the Mother series like a glove and is actually rather extensive. I was spoiled to play Mother 3 on my VBA so I got computer quality music, but I know your point, good music on the GBA was VERY rare, and generally the standard seemed to be a lot of looping nonsense. The main issue is that the music is actually hovering on a TON of copyrights as it sounds suspiciously like a lot of other trademarked music (Ode to Ancestors, I'm looking at you... and if you play Natural Killer Cyborg and Beat It by Michael Jackson at the same time [just watch Natural Killer Jackson] they sound oddly... identical.) This is actually a HUGE part why Mother 3 hasn't been released in English is because of the legal nightmare it would be for Nintendo to get in with the same music.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  14. #139
    I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Mar 4 2012
    Location
    Nothing's Call
    Posts
    3,088

    Re: EarthBound thread

    MAJOR BUMP

    I recently got the game and HOLY WOW it's awesome. I mean seriously, it's one of the best RPGs ever. I like the fun music and hilarious dialogue. I only have one Your Sanctuary (even though I'm in Saturn Village, oops) right now. ALSO, names:

    Ness, Aidan; Paula, Alice; Jeff, music note~J~music note; Poo, Aang; Dog, Fred; Fave food, H-Wing (hot wing); Fave thing, Sonic.

    Just if anyone was curious.

  15. #140
    A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jan 23 2011
    Location
    Planet Vegeta
    Posts
    681

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    MAJOR BUMP

    I recently got the game and HOLY WOW it's awesome. I mean seriously, it's one of the best RPGs ever. I like the fun music and hilarious dialogue. I only have one Your Sanctuary (even though I'm in Saturn Village, oops) right now. ALSO, names:

    Ness, Aidan; Paula, Alice; Jeff, music note~J~music note; Poo, Aang; Dog, Fred; Fave food, H-Wing (hot wing); Fave thing, Sonic.

    Just if anyone was curious.
    Can't agree more, this is my favorite game of all time with Halo: Reach just behind. Have a hard time believing the game sold poorly when it was releasing the US back in the day, the only real reasons I've heard was that the graphics weren't up to par with the blockbuster RPGs of the day, namely Chrono Trigger and FF:VI and people weren't interested. The internet and WiiU might save it this time around, thanks to the power of word of mouth marketing. Maybe even be so good we'll get an official Mother 3 release... But oh well.

    This is ironic that this thread popped up again, I am working on a mod of EB right now actually and that's as fun as the game. I'm trying to add more PSIs and items, crank up the stats more and lengthen the game, but it is not a direct tie-in into the series, just using some of the witty humor, great music and fun gameplay in the series. Well, I might try to make it some kind of prequel or sequel but eh, I'd rather not.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

    And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

    Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

  16. #141
    So long, and thanks for all the fish Deucey Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Posts
    674

    Re: EarthBound thread

    I'm almost surprised I've never even posted in this thread before, seeing as I've played all 3 games at some point. At this point in time, I've beaten Mother 3 (after a multiple year break taken while in the final area), and have played through more than half of Earthbound (which I also just stopped playing for a while, for some reason). As for Earthbound Zero/Mother... well, I gave up on that a long time ago, having not even gotten past the zoo.

    Anyway, I really like this franchise, and the games it entails. They really stand out from other games, putting in their own style and themes and whatnot. The characters and storylines have really reached out to me, and I'm glad that Earthbound was released on Virtual Console; it gives the game at least some of the recognition that it deserves. Like many of the more modern gamers (or at least I hope), I was first introduced to the franchise via Brawl. I never owned the first SSB or Melee, so Brawl's inclusion of Ness seemed new to me. Of course, it also introduced me to Lucas and Porky, the latter of which fascinated me greatly (thanks mostly to his intro cutscene). Brawl is also the main reason I prefer the Mother 3 version of Porky's spider-mech. So, anyway, after Brawl, I looked into these characters, and eventually came across the games. I believe I played Mother 3 first, then Earthbound and Earthbound Zero (backwards, I know). So, yeah, that's my history with this franchise.

    Now, I wanna talk more about Porky specifically. I said that the characters reached out to me, and Porky was the one who reached out the most. He completely stood out to me in Brawl, and then in Mother 3 and Earthbound. I idolize him more than any other character in the series, and I can't even begin to tell you how awesome I think he is. Of course, the spider-mech is what first got me into him, but as I learned more about him, my fascination in him only grew. As I was checking out a remix of a song on Youtube, I saw some comments about him that inspired* me to type up this huge... I wanna say "expose" on his role as a villain. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I thought that I should post it here, as it provides an interesting perspective, and is, of course, relevant to the general topic.

    Spoiler: My "Expose" On Porky 


    *I'm not saying that said comments were negative; I simply thought that they didn't do him justice.

    This is now my favorite scene and image from Archer.

  17. #142
    Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    SR388
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: EarthBound thread

    Mother 3 is turning 10 next week. While I initially never thought this game would have an official release worldwide, just the events of last year alone have made me reconsider. Lucas for Smash DLC, Earthbound Beginnings worldwide release, Mother 3 rereleased in Japan, and Lucas received an amiibo; All these happened in less than 12 months time. If there was ever a chance for Mother 3, this is it.

    On a side note, although I bought Earthbound Beginnings immediately to support the series' official release, I still haven't played it yet. Is it really the toughest of the trilogy?
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

  18. #143
    Green Star Corey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Apr 25 2010
    Posts
    257

    Re: EarthBound thread

    It starts off pretty hard. You're meant to grind a fair bit early on. As soon as you get a second party member, your best bet is to stick around the dungeon and grind like mad. Your first ally is temporary but has insane stat growth, making battles easy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Left 4 Thread
    By Chain Chomp in forum Gamer's Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
  2. All Request Thread
    By Tigerman in forum Nook's Cranny
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: February 28th, 2013, 08:08 PM
  3. That One Thread About Pets
    By MooseFondue in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: March 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
  4. Advice Thread
    By Saber in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: September 10th, 2010, 10:40 PM
  5. The Bet Thread
    By TheMightyBox in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: June 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •