Page 3 of 385 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: SSB4 News Thread

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Re: SSB4 News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboalt View Post
    The main thing people (myself included) take issue with is that it'd be another generic avatar character. Villager is at least from a beloved game series with a buttload of personality... Miis have gotten kinda resented in the past few years, particularly because they lack the character that AC Villagers have. I don't mind Miis all too much honestly, but I feel like we have the superior "your character" character already revealed and a Mii just doesn't seem too exciting if all they do is just sports stuff. Totally a workable moveset... just doesn't feel compelling to me.
    In that sense, I can see the Mii feeling a little redundant, yeah. I'm sure Sakurai has considered the Mii at some point, but I'm wondering if he chose Wii Fit Trainer as the Wii "series" representation over Mii.

See, this I'd be happy with, Assist Trophy Pac-Man. It'd work really well and make perfect sense... as a character his moveset isn't interesting at all. Hell, he was playable in Tekken vs Street Fighter and he wasn't even interesting there. That's a game that had Namco's input and they didn't make him make sense or be all too interesting, so I can't see how he'd be any better in a game like Smash that basically REQUIRES an interesting and goofy moveset.
    Is that the one where he was piloting some sort of large wooden mech or something? If so, it does seem like they just sort of made up an unrelated moveset for him. Sakurai and his team have traditionally been pretty creative about making movesets for characters that wouldn't seemingly have much to work with, though (G&W, Pit, ROB, heck--all three newcomers so far)...I'd say Pac-Man could potentially be good, but it'd require some serious care.

Did anyone get the vibe from Sakurai that he takes third-party inclusions very seriously? In the recent SSB video, when talking about Mega Man, he comes across as having a lot of respect for the character and outright says it's not easy for outside characters to get in his game.

EDIT: Hah, I actually was thinking about that old comic earlier! Trainer snuck her way into BitF years before the fact...who knew? (well, me apparently) Pretty funny coincidence either way. And at least Kirby's yoga skills seem to have improved slightly since then.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    In that sense, I can see the Mii feeling a little redundant, yeah. I'm sure Sakurai has considered the Mii at some point, but I'm wondering if he chose Wii Fit Trainer as the Wii "series" representation over Mii.
    I'm actually assuming that's the case too.

...I'd say Pac-Man could potentially be good, but it'd require some serious care.
    It'd definitely need to be something very unorthodox along the lines of Megaman, and there's a bunch of skepticism going on about that being pulled off... right, I suppose.

Did anyone get the vibe from Sakurai that he takes third-party inclusions very seriously? In the recent SSB video, when talking about Mega Man, he comes across as having a lot of respect for the character and outright says it's not easy for outside characters to get in his game.
    I thought he flat-out said that "I'm not just going to have any character from other companies participate in Smash brothers." That makes me think Snake still has a good chance of returning despite rumors or beliefs saying otherwise. I'd like for Snake to return, at least.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

This is basically the hope that I'm holding out on, that the Gematsu rumor is wrong and Wii Fit Trainer is the Wii representative. She's incredibly inspired and downright hilarious as an inclusion, a fast favorite for me (I'll admit for about 10 minutes I was pissed... then I saw the gameplay).

Quote Originally Posted by TB
    Is that the one where he was piloting some sort of large wooden mech or something? If so, it does seem like they just sort of made up an unrelated moveset for him. Sakurai and his team have traditionally been pretty creative about making movesets for characters that wouldn't seemingly have much to work with, though (G&W, Pit, ROB, heck--all three newcomers so far)...I'd say Pac-Man could potentially be good, but it'd require some serious care.
    The very same. He used some wooden mech for some reason... says a lot when the company that owns the character has a part in his inclusion in a game, and they can't even think of a sensible moveset.

G&W actually is pretty inspired by G&W games. None of his moves are made up for Smash; everything is taken from existing games. You're totally right on Pit and ROB though... but considering Sakurai wanted Pit so much and made Uprising I feel like Pit's moveset was his first stab at reviving Kid Icarus, and ROB does have a fair few references to himself and the games he was used for.

The three newcomers are all actually heavily inspired from their source material, interestingly. They're basically full adaptations of things they do transitioned into Smash; the functions are different but basically everything is direct from their games (the one caveat I see is Villager flying on balloons, but that's at least pretty connected to Animal Crossing... especially considering GC Animal Crossing had NES games including Balloon Fight).

Quote Originally Posted by TB
    Oh, definitely. He basically handed the reigns over to Kojima and Sega for Snake and Sonic's movesets. I remember him and Kojima saying that Kojima was INCREDIBLY hands on with Snake, basically designing it entirely. He definitely wants 3rd Parties treated with reverence.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Right--I suppose I meant more that G&W (and the newcomers') movesets use their previously-established abilities in a creative, unexpected way beyond punches and kicks. Although Mega Man has a huge arsenal already, it's great seeing how unorthodox his attacks are (a projectile as his A-move???). I guess I'm always impressed when they find a move for a character from a really surprising place, like Villager yanking up a sudden weed as an attack.

And yeah, glad to hear that Sakurai is still being consistent with being selective on third-party characters. To be honest, I still feel a little weird about Snake...

I understand everything now Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

I'm not sure if this stage in particular has ever come up here, but I thought I'd bring it up. It's none other than Arena Ferox from Fire Emblem Awakening and it seems to be 3DS exclusive, going off of what Sakurai said in that director's video.
    I bring up this stage in particular because it pretty much increases Chrom's chances of being in the game to the point that it just becomes a matter of time until they announce him.
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

Chrom...or maybe
    Lucina

PLEASE not Tharja.

I wonder what this means for Ike though. Or Marth?

Chrom...or maybe
    Lucina

PLEASE not Tharja.

What if none of them were removed? Chrom seems more likely right away, I'd think. Tharja would be a generic unit being included into the game and that... is extremely unlikely (it'd also lead to the logic "why not x character instead", replacing x with characters like Lon'qu, Vaike, My Unit, etc).

The 3DS shots have revealed that Spirit Tracks Link shows up in a train stage as well, but that also puts Toon Link possibly in danger to being cut, which is why I think he's in a weird place right now.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Super Smash Bros Wii-U/3DS!!! SuperMii3D's Avatar
    Well, if Im typing this, then Im in front of my computer.....

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMarioGuy View Post

I'm not sure if this stage in particular has ever come up here, but I thought I'd bring it up. It's none other than Arena Ferox from Fire Emblem Awakening and it seems to be 3DS exclusive, going off of what Sakurai said in that director's video.
    I bring up this stage in particular because it pretty much increases Chrom's chances of being in the game to the point that it just becomes a matter of time until they announce him.
    Thats an awesome stage! Looks cool!

Chrom...or maybe
    Lucina

PLEASE not Tharja.

Im guessing that theyre getting rid of Ike (Just like Roy) to make room for Chrom
    Hi! BIG Super Smash Bros Brawl and MK7 fan! VM me for fcs! 3DS name: SuperMii3D COOKIES!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMii3D View Post
    Im guessing that theyre getting rid of Ike (Just like Roy) to make room for Chrom
    I want to ask, why do you think they're going to cut a character just to put another one in his place? Ike already established a place in multiple ways, removing him would create even more of a backlash than Roy's removal.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Oh, didn't know about that. I thought Chrom was practically a guarantee already, but this settles it.

Also, as popular as Tharja is she really doesn't have a shot as playable at all. An assist trophy or trophy sounds pretty likely, though.

Marth's a mainstay at this point – anyone in Melee who made it to Brawl isn't getting cut now. Marth's considered to be the Fire Emblem lord and his games are incredibly popular in Japan, so there's no chance of him getting cut. Ike I'm less certain about, since I do think he's one of the few from Brawl who could potentially not make it. I'd be pretty disappointed, honestly, since Fire Emblem completely deserves having more than two characters and some spotlight. Either way, this stage doesn't say much about the odds of those two being in.

Glad we're getting something that actually makes sense for Fire Emblem this time. Hope there's more stages and equivalents for the Wii U version, too.
    Last edited by Dynawing; June 12th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Phew, the inclusion of that stage actually makes me feel relieved. I mean, the inclusion of a stage doesn't necessarily means the inclusion of a character, but this highly boosts the odds of a Fire Emblem Awakening character making it in. And if that does happen... well, that would certainly disprove that rumor of "only 6 newcomers", wouldn't it?

But yeah, Chrom or the Avatar are the most likely candidates for new Fire Emblem reps.
    Heck, if they wanna go the "add a villain" route for this series, they could just go for Awakening's final boss
    Grima in Avatar form

But giving the boot to Ike? I don't see it. I mean, it sold abyssmally in Japan, true, but Ike is one of the most popular lords worldwide, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Also, I think this kinda confirms that both versions will have exclusive stages...?

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    I want to ask, why do you think they're going to cut a character just to put another one in his place? Ike already established a place in multiple ways, removing him would create even more of a backlash than Roy's removal.
    Im just saying after FE:A they might replace him for Chrom. Do I want it to happen, absolutely not, but Im just taking a guess.
    Hi! BIG Super Smash Bros Brawl and MK7 fan! VM me for fcs! 3DS name: SuperMii3D COOKIES!

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    Phew, the inclusion of that stage actually makes me feel relieved. I mean, the inclusion of a stage doesn't necessarily means the inclusion of a character, but this highly boosts the odds of a Fire Emblem Awakening character making it in. And if that does happen... well, that would certainly disprove that rumor of "only 6 newcomers", wouldn't it?
    The rumor isn't only 6. It's only 6 being shown this week.

I'm just really happy Fire Emblem isn't getting shafted stage wise. An ACTUAL stage. Not a generic nothing like in Brawl, an ACTUAL stage.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

man it hurts to be this hip Bionichute's Avatar

that rumor of "only 6 newcomers", wouldn't it?
    How can that even be a rumour? Brawl had like, 15 newcomers, and I doubt they would lower it for the sequel.
    if you don't check out my Blog!

What if none of them were removed? Chrom seems more likely right away, I'd think. Tharja would be a generic unit being included into the game and that... is extremely unlikely (it'd also lead to the logic "why not x character instead", replacing x with characters like Lon'qu, Vaike, My Unit, etc).

The 3DS shots have revealed that Spirit Tracks Link shows up in a train stage as well, but that also puts Toon Link possibly in danger to being cut, which is why I think he's in a weird place right now.
    To me, Ike feels like a flavor-of-the-month character. His game came out around Brawl's development, he got his moment in the sun, and now there are characters from newer FE games to represent the series. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to Pokemon and Lucario. Yes, Ike has a viable moveset, but if they have to cut some characters, I could definitely see him being one of the firsts on the chopping block.

Tharja is strangely popular in Japan, which irks me because she's by far my least-favorite FE:A character. But yeah, she doesn't have much of a shot at being playable.

I guess the main thing with Chrom
    or Lucina
    is that they both use rapiers and they both use the Falchion, just like Marth. Ike was bulkier and wielded a broadsword so he at least had a significantly different feel from Marth, but I have trouble picturing how they can distinguish Marth and Chrom clearly. Unless they gave Chrom a lance or something, but that's just misrepresenting the character...

Also, I think this kinda confirms that both versions will have exclusive stages...?
    Yes, it was mentioned that each version will have their exclusive stages

I understand everything now Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

That was confirmed around the 1:18 mark here.
    And oh hey Gerudo Valley. Looks like remakes aren't even out of the question where stages are concerned.
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

The rumor isn't only 6. It's only 6 being shown this week.
    Hahaha how did I misread that wow I think I need to go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionichute View Post
    How can that even be a rumour? Brawl had like, 15 newcomers, and I doubt they would lower it for the sequel.
    Didn't Sakurai say he was going for a "substance over quantity" approach in regards to the roster in this game? Which is why I was worried but now my fears are gone because I misread that rumor never mind

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMii3D View Post
    Yes, it was mentioned that each version will have their exclusive stages
    Oh, no, I got that. What I meant is... we haven't seen any shared stages aside from Battlefield yet which makes me wonder just how many stages will be in the game and how many will be unique to each platform.

To me, Ike feels like a flavor-of-the-month character. His game came out around Brawl's development, he got his moment in the sun, and now there are characters from newer FE games to represent the series. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to Pokemon and Lucario. Yes, Ike has a viable moveset, but if they have to cut some characters, I could definitely see him being one of the firsts on the chopping block.
    Ike has a huge difference, however:
    • One of the most recognized Lords internationally, and very popular at that
    • An established fanbase.

Lucario is in danger of this too, but consider the backlash the developers got from cutting Mewtwo and putting Lucario seemingly in his place (ignoring the "forbidden 7" files for a moment). I don't think it's a good idea to annoy fans of your series with business choices like this unless the roster got extremely cluttered. I don't see it being extremely cluttered just yet.

I mean, consider the fact that Roy's game came out after Melee and the game wasn't even that well-received anyway! Ike's games were much more better received because it brought back a bunch of stuff to the games that the GBA games removed.

I guess the main thing with Chrom
    or Lucina
    is that they both use rapiers and they both use the Falchion, just like Marth. Ike was bulkier and wielded a broadsword so he at least had a significantly different feel from Marth, but I have trouble picturing how they can distinguish Marth and Chrom clearly. Unless they gave Chrom a lance or something, but that's just misrepresenting the character...
    I thought Chrom has a completely different fighting style with the Falchion, though that does beg the question if Marth would get a new design for the sword.

Ike also has a "rough" brawling fighting style which was represented in his moveset, while Marth signifies a more dignified/graceful combat style. As I recall, Chrom's also bulkier than Marth.

Didn't Sakurai say he was going for a "substance over quantity" approach in regards to the roster in this game? Which is why I was worried but now my fears are gone because I misread that rumor never mind
    This was definitely shown with the new changes to Bowser's moveset and animations, so I have less reason to doubt his word here.

If we were to see more new characters, I would guarantee no more than 50.
    Last edited by Eltrotraw; June 12th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

I thought Chrom has a completely different fighting style with the Falchion, though that does beg the question if Marth would get a new design for the sword.

Ike also has a "rough" brawling fighting style which was represented in his moveset, while Marth signifies a more dignified/graceful combat style. As I recall, Chrom's also bulkier than Marth.
    Chrom is... weird. He has a rougher fighting style than Marth and he certainly isn't as graceful as Marth is (also the Awakening Falchion is not a rapier anymore so there's that), but he's still quick on his feet and has fairly fast attacks, while also being fairly strong.

So, he could be the balanced one between Marth and Ike.

Speaking of Marth, I'm kinda conflicted if they do update his character art to the Awakening one because
    it isn't actually Marth, but Lucina
    but on the other hand I love that design.

An unique moveset, though, is something I'd like to see. I hope they incorpore Lances into his moveset but idk how high the chances are for that.
    Last edited by Doofenshmirtz; June 12th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Including
    Lucina
    , even as "Masked Marth" or whatever, would absolutely make this perfect for me. Problem is, having Chrom AND vanillaMarth AND masked Marth would mean getting three characters who feel somewhat similar and that sounds kind of lame. Also Arena Ferox seems like a really random choice of stage to represent Awakening to me, the level itself wasn't anything special... except that it's when you fight masked Marth. A home stage for the character, maybe?
    Last edited by Lenore; June 12th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

Now sending file "tyranitar_sandstorm.bke" Bucken-Berry's Avatar

Anyone think Olimar might end up being replaced by Pikmin 3's "Alph"?
    Brawl: 2793-5866-7066
    White 2: 1464 4342 6887
    Diamond: 2364 6969 3752
    Black: 1893 1040 7122
    MKWii: 2965-8537-1459
    3DS: 0044-2803-6292
    Dream Suite (AC):5600-2360-9411 (updates everyday!)
    Be sure to check out: Rare Gamer Forums!

I think it'd be likely to see Olimar with his five Pikmin and one of the new Pikmin characters using the Pikmin 3 exclusive Pikmin.

As for Toon Link getting cut, I don't think it's likely. He may get changed drastically. Heck he may even get changed altogether. Nintendo has confirmed the three timelines so maybe we'll get a Skyward Sword Link and a Link from another time, possibly the ALttP version. If we DO lose a second Link, I think it'll be because of a new Zelda character included like Giriham. I don't think it'd have anything to do with Conductor Link on the Spirit Tracks stage. Given the fact that he's in his engineer's uniform and NOT in the green tunic, as you conduct the train in most of the game, I'd say they were definitely trying to make him look different from Toon Link (playable) so to avoid any confusion.

I think Ike is relatively safe. Ike was the star of two FE games and the first console FE in America. He's kind of like the American Marth in some regards. He may get the axe, but I think he'll stick around. Especially, as it's been pointed out, how different he plays. As for another FE representative...I haven't played Awakening and am not a huge series fan so I can't say, but I'd LOVE to see someone without a sword. I'm kinda tired of swords at this point ha ha

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

Given that Olimar is the "original" protagonist of the franchise (just like Ness and Marth respetively), I doubt that Olimar get kicked.

As far as other characters go: I wouldn't be surprised if Lucario would be replaced by... uhm... Zoroark? I'm not up to date in terms of Pokémon, but last time I checked, he seemed to be treated like the Lucario of the 5th gen.
    In similiar terms, I wonder what will happen to Ike and Lucas.

Heh, I haven't been active here on the forums for a long time...

I just wanted to say that I'm totally psyched for Mega Man's appearance in Smash Bros., I've been waiting for him to show up since the first game on the N64. Reading that his Buster is his default attack surprised and amazed me at the same time. It's unorthodox, but it makes perfect sense for him.

Oh, and I can't wait to meteor smash enemies while quoting my favourite Bond one-liner from Mega Man dies at the End.

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are both awesome and hilarious. Especially the latter is yet another nice addition to the "WTF?" ranks of Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B..

Oh, am I the only one who noticed various similarities in Mega Man's moveset compared to his appearance in Super Smash Land?

Just a quick question regarding the game: Is Link's design based off Twilight Princess or from that E3 trailer we saw last year?

Now my thoughts/wishes about the game so far...

I liked Toon Link back in Brawl, but I can understand if he would get cut. I do hope that Link gets a normal boomerang then though, I didn't liked his new boomerang in Brawl.

I want Ridley as a playable character. Granted, he would have to shrink a bit, but still...

Concerning Bandai-Namco and Pac Man. I think the wooden mech Pac was controlling was based off that wooden guy from the older Tekken games which copied other characters fighting style. Given that Pac Man is also a quite ironic video game character, it would be fun to pitch him again Mario, Sonic and Mega Man... but as already discussed here, only if he'd get a moveset that would suit him.
    Since there aren't many Bamco games I played I can't say for sure if there's any license I'd like to see in playable form. One of the characters from the Tales series would be fun (like Cress from the first one) though. Or maybe Nightmare from Soul Calibur, be it just for his hammy voice.
    The only choice I would kinda mind would be Tekken. It's not really a Nintendo franchise, and I think any character from it would feel seriously out of place (in fact, I could imagine a character like Jin Kazama showing up in that other mascot fighter...).

And now for some downright crazy/dumb/silly wishes:
    - After mentioning Nightmare, I just thought "Well, Darth Vader would be much cooler."
    - Being high on Transformers at the time, I'd also like to see Optimus Prime (preferably the G1 version)
    - And since we already have Capcom on board, how about Ryu? (granted, that one isn't that far out there...)
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

Thread Information