Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Re: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Well, I gotta jump in the same wagon as Ian up there. I'm sorry to say I don't visit this website for podcasts. And though I don't doubt its quality, and that because it's the first I will give it a listen when I have the time, that's exactly my problem with it. It's a lot of time to spend listening to something for me. And I don't know if I can make that commitment.

So I'd be sad if this meant one comic less, on a regular basis. Obviously it's your call, but yeah, I'd be sad. I love the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    I believe that the podcast should have two versions: one combined (as it is right now) and one broken up by section.
    If you do decide to make more podcasts, this would be a great convenience.

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

I for one really liked it! I'm always looking for things to listen to while I work, and this burned almost an hour of time! So, I like the length you've got now. Of course, I understand that not everyone has a job where they have three to five hours working with loud tools and need something to listen to, so if you do have to cut the length, I understand.

As for whether or not I think it should replace one of the bi-weekly comics... well... I think you could maybe try it for a month or so as an experiment and see how it goes.
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

I am incredibly happy about this. So happy that I had to have an email sent to me containing my username and password...

I feel that it was a bit long for your first attempt at a podcast, but you have to start somewhere. It's corny, and enjoyable to listen to. It made me miss 2P Start a lot. It's nice to see someone wanting to do a wholesome podcast on the Internet.

The podcast is brilliant-I was in stitches during the Selma and Patty duet! Also the extensive talk about Fe13 was intriguing and has me even more excited about the eu release (the remix FE theme was beautiful, is there anyway I can download it for my mp3?). Tuning in monthly or bi-monthly is good enough for me and usually there's more topics to talk about then (and it'll take less work off your hands). A lot of people find it impossible to choose between comics and podcasts so really it's up to what you guys enjoy or feel like doing .
    Last edited by dap005; March 8th, 2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Grammar

Takes a kicking and keeps on bricking

to start before i let you and other people read this... this... totally freaky review, i must say a few things
    1 im dutch meaning im from the netherlands in Europe (thats explains my horrible grammer) im 19 (if that matters)
    2 im not a huge nor a big fan. but i really love the joy i have had over these few years reading your comics and all other related stuff!
    3 im autistic. which means this text might be a big headache to read.
    4 i just try to give a review to help you (if that is even possible) make your podcasts better

thats it. i will just write where i think about and what i feel when you and cris are talking to your beloved fans!
    enjoy and i hope you will find it helpfull.

ACT1:
    THAT EPIC INTRO! though after listening to it over and over... it sounds a bit nerdy/geeky etc. so freakn awesome flashback that would be!
    the introduction of cris... jello? cris are you there? LOL! this will be talked about when we reach 100 podcasts XD; "you remember cris? our very first podcast? things didnt go smoothly the first time." loving it!

ACT2:
    dont care for fire emblem im afraid. its just too complicated. nice talk for the fans though! i think?
    listened to this with half an ear and picked some things up (but was too lazy to write down)
    anyone may feel free to fill this act in for me if you like.

ACT3:
    french kissing phantoon...
    i wasnt sure but if i would have guessed i had the layout of the comic right! (wonder if that counts XD)
    kill it with fire! and your view on your own comic: wonderfull! (like cris said :D)
    pile of leaves comic yeah... *pling* remembered he did that already XD
    Kirby... comeone do it! ... ok i will tell you! what if he ate you? ^^
    very funny to draw! rather be you than me! it really brings alot of joy in my life :D
    jap creature... i couldnt follow it cause i was roffling to much! XD own entry: Hamaroid Souls @_@

ACT4:
    i feel rayman coming? and maybe some wii u?
    *sigh...* makes me realize that i have given a bit up on nintendo. but you MR. TARANTO! you keep my spirits up!
    YEP RAYMAN! though i dont own a wii u yet i like to read what you think about the wii u and how you are experiencing it. (also read your 10 points rayman thing)
    are you that oldskool already X_X LOL! but you are just the right age to see all the computer development. im at the worst possible age. im old enough to care about all of the history. but im too young to dont care. torn apart (thats how i feel)
    3ds is awesome! though mine is dusty DX
    im actually playing on my iphone while listening and reviewing... T_T though i can play PHOENIX (freaking always) WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY on my iphone :D!
    im no expert. just destroy the ps and xbox companies with old nintendo gear!

Cris! comeone talk! ... cool as a cat ... Mirusmasa? (explanation XD?)
    google google google SAMURAI game?

ACT5:
    trauma team... wow! google that and it looks like a visual novel! love those games! (ty :D but explain abit more >.>)
    name name name... let me think... will come back to you on that. but many other fans could come up with great names!
    kirby ... kirby ...

ACT6:
    music break O_O! you gonna play :D
    omg omg omg... play already XD
    TvT (seriously, got shivers and a tear in my eye in the first 10 seconds)

ACT7:
    i like i like!!! yes i like! (found the thread before you told it XD :P)
    wonderfull tune :D that is a wonderfull tune XD pling! O_O a coin XD lolololololololololooloolooloolooloooooooooooooooo ooooooooool

epilogue...
    X_X wow what is happening? so many coin plings and weird dialogues
    its brilliant! amazing! so much laughter i have right now XD. maybe add some of those during the podcasts itself? (i dont really know the rules for making podcasts! will look it up to do a better job! ofcourse... if this is appreciated by you and others)

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding DING!

a better review based on the above thoughts i had (which also could be helpfull) maybe this is more of an opinion though... reviews dont have opinions if i remembered correctly

overall i would say your podcast is wonderfull. maybe i few upgrades here and there to ensure that even more people can follow everything you and cris say. ofcourse you can focus your attention to the more frequent bitf visiters and the more game knowledged ones. go over some comments that will be made these days and see if people want you to talk about comics games or other stuff. i think you have divided it quite well. though some would tune off when you talked so longly about fire-emblem. its true people, me included, also need to get used to your podcasts which we already love and wish to never go away now. i want to suggest to, if the podcasts go well, make a picture or logo that symbolizes the podcast. for the intro: "BRAWL IN THE FAMILY, POD-CAAAHAAAST" it might be fun to add kirby's HII! at the end of it. i already visualized it in my head (visualized? the audio version i mean. audiolized?). sounded pretty neat. (i dont know about copy right and all that stuff). or maybe let, if that is possible, a different nintendo character speak in the BITF PODCAST! thing. about an other possible name... i think this one is the best. considering hearing you sing "BITF, P-C". what about a life streamed podcast somewhere? maybe podcasts 10? (hinting hinting! :D). it is very enjoyable to listen too. not too complicated like some radiostations use all those annoying sounds (thinking about a family guy episode...) if you do add some other sounds and things make sure to slowly add them so people can get used to it.
    i dont know much about other podcasts and how good they might be. i just wanted to be a bigger part of the community by writing this kind of reviews.
    if i need to grade on a scale of 100:
    my grade: 99 +1
    my "trying to be a proffesional reviewer grade": 85

and thats it. if anyone has anything to say about this. please dont hesitate to say it (though i dont appreciate it if someone gives me a hate/rage post) there is always room for improvement and i kindly take everybody's opinion about this. i find my review a good way for Taranto to understand what someone might think when he hears the podcast.

goodluck to you and may there be ''(platform) a-plenty'' of podcasts in the future.
    Last edited by DaveyN; March 8th, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: just a few tweaks and touches to make this post a bit more bearable

+10 Happy Smile points for Mario Paint music.

I'd say I enjoyed listening to this. I'm rather fond of podcasts in general, as I like listening to people talk as I do stuff. Sure it means that we'll have one less comic every few weeks, but I think I can live with that. I do have a couple of other comics that can tide me over in the meantime.

Also, every time one of you two said "Kappas", I thought you were calling out my name.
    ~Graphically Minded~

Once a yellow, always a yellow, right? :( Sonicoreos's Avatar

I loved the podcast!!! My only suggestion would be to shorten up the main segment a little, it was pretty long.

I listened to the podcast a while ago and I loved it throughout! Your opinions on Nintendo not declining to Sega-level are exactly the same as mine, although I do think Nintendo need to come up with a new strategy, as it's unlikely their 7th-gen 'blue ocean' strategy (which Matthew referenced in a comic's description a while back) can be pulled off again to the success the Wii and DS had. Also, your Fire Emblem theme rendition was fantastic and I'm only even more hyped for when Awakening comes out in Europe (April 19th ).

EDIT: Forgot to ask, how often is the podcast?

I was listening to this again, and in the second section you mention that FE's permadeath system gives the game a lot of "unscripted sadness" when a character dies.

That's a really good way of putting it. Fire Emblem is one of those series that changes the way you look at gaming in general. I remember when I was playing a chapter or two Shadow Dragon, when I lost a character, I expected him to be revived at the end of the battle. I waited... and waited... and waited... and he never came back. I was really depressed when I realized that the game had permadeath in place, and I had no idea!

I kept playing, and I started feeling a twinge of sadness every time I killed an enemy. Eventually, I stopped playing and played some Mario, and it was then that I was hit with full on "Ode to Minions" syndrome.

Then I died, and lost a life, and was revived at the beginning of the level and it just didn't feel right. I felt like there should be more of a consequence. I never thought that a video game would give me an existential crisis!

An unspecified amount of time later I was playing Dwarf Fortress, which also has permadeath (and in that game it's a lot harder to reset to an earlier save), and it occurred to me that I didn't have that same "" whenever one of my units died in that game. Maybe because the characters are randomly-generated and you don't really get to see there interactions, making them feel less human. I felt really bad that I had messed around with sandbox arena that lets you spawn any creature and see it fight to the death!
    Last edited by Madmachine; March 22nd, 2013 at 07:26 AM.

I might be able to tolerate the podcasts if they come with those wacky pictures.

Waddle Dee

Why does Chris have such a huge HEAD?!?

Actually, now that I think of it, this is his first time being drawn in BitF, hasn't it?

I like how you hid the Dededoll in all 3 of the pictures. Is this some ongoing thing you'll be doing?

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

and the new podcast is up and around, I'm enjoying it. I especially liked the section where you visited previous comics, it's good to get an insight on the older ones. I especially want to hear the story behind 'nasty'.
    And I like the majority of the music, while i'm not too big on the 'why did they do that' jingle, the rest of the music is great.

and editing the 'HEY' just made me laugh.
    Spoiler: Quotes 

I listened to the beginning of this week's podcast but not the whole thing. I'll probably do this for every podcast.
    So Chris's favorite things about a Link to the Past are common to 2D Zelda, and the things Matthew didn't like are improved in Link's Awakening, another 2D Zelda. It appears that you two prefer 2D to 3D in this case. Link to the Past is also one of my favorite Zeldas, but not my favorite, and I also tend to prefer 2D over 3D.

I'm always pleased to see other people share my less popular opinions. I didn't get to play LttP until my late teens, and when I played it I didn't really understand why people made such a big deal about it. It was a good game, obviously, but after listening to this podcast, I think I finally figured out why. The game was too open ended. Like Matthew said, later games had more character and things to do in between dungeon, but in LttP, it felt like the whole world was filled with secrets for the sake of secrets, and there was no incentive to explore aside from 100% completion since you could easily just run through the dungeons and leave it at that. Of course, later games took it too far and forced tedious sidequests and tutorials on the player, but that doesn't make me like LttP any better either.

I'm sure the open endedness is why many people think it's the best Zelda game in the series. They can choose where to go at every turn and it builds a real sense of adventure no other Zelda game has matched. I don't want an adventure with my games though. I want an experience. And one that makes me feel like I accomplished something, which LttP didn't always succeed at. I'm just glad this podcast gave me a good excuse to mention what I didn't like about the game though. Usually it's not something you go announcing to people when it's such a favorite.

This was a nice podcast though. You guys had a good discussion point and went over a bunch of good comics, and even had a surprise guest briefly. Overall, you two tend to have a lot of things to say about Nintendo and games in general that many people understand but don't really discuss, as opposed to other podcasts or groups which might go for the obvious or in much more detail. Like I said last time, BitFP is good for people who don't usually follow podcasts or the like and is simple to get into. It's the Nintendo of Podcasts, for better or worse. Twas cute~

All that talking about Wart in the latest Podcast got me thinking, Wart only exists in dreams, right? So what if he pulled a Freddy Krueger and jumped into the Wind Fish's dream and he (Wart) is the cause of all the nightmares?

Now, I imagine Popplio balancing an Oshawott's Scalchop on his nose... gamer2332's Avatar
    Let's just say Lively Town and get on with it... (Though for real, Georgia)

Who was that girl in the 2nd episode?

Waddle Dee

I do have 2 pieces of feedback:

1. Move the music break to the middle of the podcast. It'd work well as an intermission. If you placed it after talking about the "game-of-the-week" or maybe after "why did they do that?" it'd be pretty good. It just feels weird having a music 'break' as the last item in the podcast.

2. Have you considered having guests on your podcast? If you're discussing something specific in an upcoming podcast, why not see if anyone on the forums has personal experience in the subject matter. As an example, if you were going to discuss the game you're making, see if anyone in the forums is also working on an independent game. (Not to overly advertise myself, but I'm working on a game, and I feel it would be very interesting to discuss the different approaches we've taken in our development)

Looking forward to the next installment.

I confess I haven't listened to the first podcast (yet) but I listened to the second and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The "What were they thinking" reminded me a lot of 2P Start's old Black Doom Award.
    I must say as much as I love the comics, I'd be ok with some more podcasts. I enjoy listening to them while working and agree that maybe reaching out to others from the forums to join might be fun if they can bring some experience to the table. Let me know if you want to chat with another webcomic creator.

I listen to a lot of podcasts (mostly comic book podcasts), and after only two episodes, your podcast is easily one of my favorites. I'm impressed with the quality this early on. You guys know how to put on a good show.

I have one major suggestion: would you be open to making the podcast available on iTunes? I normally listen to podcasts during long commutes, and it would be more convenient to be able to access it through a podcasting app as I do with my other podcasts. The process of putting it on iTunes isn't difficult. You may need a podcast hosting service like LibSyn, but they aren't terribly expensive.

I am in favor of sacrificing the occasional comic for a podcast. I love the comics, but the podcast provides a lot of entertainment as well. It's a fair trade off. I will say that from personal experience, making the podcast will become easier over time. Once you become accustomed to the format and the back-and-forth, the recording part will be a lot smoother, and the need to edit will be drastically reduced. I do a podcast with some friends, and starting out it took the entire weekend to produce one episode. We spent several hours recording followed by many, many, many hours editing. Now we spend about an hour recording (for a one hour podcast) and even less time editing. The entire podcast is recorded, edited, and uploaded in one evening.

Also, I'm curious about how you create your podcast. What sort of equipment do you use (mixer, mics, etc.)? How much editing do you do? What software do you use to record and/or edit (Garage Band, Audacity, etc.)? Also the music. I love the music. Do you mix it with Garage Band?

Yeah... 'sinteresting how it seems like comparatively simpler have much more involved tutorials. Most the really über-complex games I've played (primarily roguelikes and stuff like that that, but a few action-RPG's as well) have a tendency to just throw you into the game headfirst. In those cases, the best way to learn how to play is to either go on the internet and spoil yourself rotten or to just sit down and die a lot. And maybe I'm just a masochist, but I kinda like it that way.

And then, as you said, on the other end of the scale there's the more recent Zeldas that a b s o l u t e l y m u s t t e l l y o u e v e r y s i n g l e f a c t a b o u t t h e g a m e w i t h s l o w l y - a p p e a r i n g t e x t j u s t t o m a k e s u r e y o u d o n ' t f o r g e t a n y t h i n g . And yet they STILL INCLUDE INSTRUCTION MANUALS.

Shall I repeat that?

> Yes
    No

PS: I loved it when you used Navi's "hey" to bleep out the word "hell". This podcast is gaining personality by the second.

also omg they liked my terrible pun
    Last edited by Madmachine; March 27th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

I want that forum to DIE. Just make that happen. Keeby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2332 View Post
    Who was that girl in the 2nd episode?
    I believe that was Sarah, but I'm not entirely sure.

Cute Little Poot

I LOVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE the BitF Podcast!!! I legitimately fanboy squeal when I see that there is a new one. And the girl in the second episode is Lucia, or PleadingEyes (Pleady), who is one of Tri's friends and big PWMP member.

Ten Tincans Can't Count to Twenty Twelve! CarlosGlez's Avatar

I thought it was nice, never listened to any other podcasts before, but I liked it. I think it was nice, but like some already mentioned, I would not like having the comic held because of it

Thread Information