PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys, Check Out This Geocaching Thread!

MooseFondue
April 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Get Yourself Acquainted. (http://www.geocaching.com/)

Here's some descriptions for those who aren't in the know:
Geocaching could be described as "Modern day treasure hunting."
OR
Geocaching could be described as "Using government satellites to find tupperware in the woods."
Whatever floats your boat.

So basically, geocaching is where you go on the website I linked, take coordinates from the website, plug them into a portable GPS, and go hunting.
'Geocachers' go looking for 'Geocaches.'
These geocaches are placed around by other geocachers.
A geocache could be anything from a small metal tube to a peanut butter jar. The caches contain a log for the geocacher to sign, occasionally with pencils and other knickknacks.
When you return home, you go onto your account on the above website and log that you either found or didn't find the caches you were looking for.

That's the basics.

So here: ask questions if you're curious, or brag about your finds if you're experienced.

I have found precisely 481 geocaches in the approximately two years I've been geocaching.

Begin.

Curus
April 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds like fun.

What, roughly, are your chances of coming across Staffordshire Hoard-esque goodies, as opposed to peanut butter (flavoursome as peanut butter is...monte cristo, I haven't had the stuff in years)?

MooseFondue
April 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Eh? I presume you're talking about the knickknacks inside of various caches?
Well, a large majority of caches nowadays are "micros." They're small, usually holding only a log, sometimes a pencil.
The "small" and "regular" sized ones will often hold a few items. These will be something like toy race cars or plastic dinosaurs.
Also, it is common that if a cacher takes an item, that they will leave one behind. Now, this rule isn't enforced, but it allows the cache to stay well stocked.

Manty
April 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I accidentally found one under a tree root when me and my friend were hanging out by a lake one day. Other than that, I haven't heard of it, much. Sounds fun.

Curus
April 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Eh? I presume you're talking about the knickknacks inside of various caches?
Well, a large majority of caches nowadays are "micros." They're small, usually holding only a log, sometimes a pencil.
The "small" and "regular" sized ones will often hold a few items. These will be something like toy race cars or plastic dinosaurs.
Also, it is common that if a cacher takes an item, that they will leave one behind. Now, this rule isn't enforced, but it allows the cache to stay well stocked.

Ohh. No Anglo-saxon gold? That's a shame.

I'm trying to see if there's any caches near me now.

MooseFondue
April 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Well that was a pitiful geocaching day. We had seven that we were going to look for.
1: We searched for this one before, and couldn't find it. Same deal this time.
2: Couldn't find this one either.
3: Easy one, luckily.
4: We skipped this one, did number five, then came back and found this one. And it was infested with pincher bugs.
5: Found this one before number 4. It took a while, and we almost gave up, but we found it.
6: We didn't have time and had to turn back, so we never even looked for this one.
7: See number 6.

On a good day, we can find about 9 out of ten. This was not a good day.